World War II Mod Concept
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Forum Index -> Mods & Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
President Washington
Saxon Cavalry
Saxon Cavalry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: World War II Mod Concept

As some of you observed, I had a shouting contest over modding with chris, dude, and Aledied.

My line of arguing was that any mod set after Age of Empires III was just about impossible. However, Granny changes that.

For example, suppose we want a WWII mod for AoEIII. Is it possible with Granny? Just maybe.

INFANTRY
All infantrymen should be possible WITHOUT Granny, but this hits the nail in the coffin. Make a simple soldier, arm him with an Abus Gun, and give the Abus Gun the sort of attack a Gatling Gun has. Voila, you've created an MP20 on a tripod!

CAVALRY
Oh, this is harder, but still should be possible. Just texture a tank, a truck, etc., give it a cannon-like attack.

ARTILLERY
Artillery's just cannons.

AERIAL POWER
Now, Vietnam would be easier than WWII since most of the air support used within the confines of Vietnam was helicopters. A helicopter would have the levitating ability of the Hot Air Balloon, but given an attack and textured to look like.... a helicopter. No landing necessary. Rise of Nations doesn't have it, and it's convincing enough.

As for traditional Aircraft?
Making a B29 or a Lancaster should be as easy as a Panzer or a Sherman, but the main problem is seeing if there's a way to make the plane have to stay moving unless landed. And be able to land. May not be possible, but who knows?

NAVAL POWER
Everything should be possible with naval units; Submarines MIGHT be an exception. Aircraft Carriers would depend on Aerial possibilities.

RESOURCES
At least, resources should be:
Food
Ore (mod "Wood")
Coin
Oil (sadly, Export would have to go)
Killzerslaul
The Ancient Age
The Ancient Age

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject:

You could have planes as unit abilities, like the explorer being able to spawn hot air balloons - aircraft carriers can send in bombing and strafing runs. This can manage realistically limiting your plane's range, and let you keep planes moving.

Units that might be able to call in air support:
-Explorer (recon planes originally, fighters with card - limited usage)
-Officers (age III upgrade recon, age IV upgrade bombers - limited usage)
-Aircraft Carrier (age IV, can send all planes)
-Air Marshal (age V, can send all planes - limited usage)

Some units for western nations: (although it looks like it could be too many, some of them are or could be unique units that replace others)

Infantry:

- Infantry: Slower and weaker than nearly everything else you have at your disposal, but they are cheap.
Trainable in age I, strong against anti-air and anti-tank units.

- Tankbuster Infantry: Tankbusters have low HP, but their attack is very high and has a good bonus against tanks, so they can deal a lot of damage before they are killed.
Trainable in age II, strong against tanks in groups. Can build anti tank bunkers after Age III upgrade.

- Anti Air Infantry: Low HP and attack, but very high bonus against planes.
Trainable in Age II, strong against aircraft. Can build anti air bunkers after age III upgrade.

- Stinger Infantry: Powerful US anti air infantry which has a decent attack against tanks as well. (but not as strong as real anti tank units)
Trainable in Age II, strong against aircraft, decent against tanks. Can build SAM installations after age III upgrade. Replaces AA infantry for the USA.

- Special Forces: Faster and strong infantry that is very effective against infantry and can hold it's own against aircraft and tanks, in larger groups. Also very strong against buildings.
Trainable in age III, excellent against buildings, strong against infantry, decent against aircraft and tanks.

- Marines: Slightly more powerful American special forces who can construct docks, and can be trained by all US warships.
Trainable in Age II, excellent against buildings, strong against infantry, decent against aircraft and tanks. Can build docks.

- SAS: Slightly more powerful British special forces who can call in air support. Maybe British Air Marshals/Explorers could airdrop them as a late game ability.
Trainable in age III, excellent against buildings, strong against infantry, decent against aircraft and tanks. Can call in recon planes and fighters.

Officers/Support Units:

- Officer: Poor attack, but fairly high HP. If possible, do something like group bonuses only working for units near officers. If not, just use the warchiefs effect. Anyway, somehow improves the power of nearby units.
Trainable in Age II, weak in combat. Strengthens nearby units.

- Medic: Fights and looks exactly like (well, similar to) regular soldiers, but works as a surgeon in his spare time. (also has high HP)
Trainable in Age II, strong against anti-air and anti-tank units. Heals nearby friendly units.

- Sniper: Normally weak in combat, but can kill infantry (including officers and explorers) in one hit with it's "Snipe" ability.
Trainable in Age III, weak in combat. Can use "Snipe".

- Air Marshal: Very expensive unit, so not worth risking in combat. Can call in recon planes and fighters, upgrades to call in bombers.
Trainable in Age III, weak in combat. Can call in recon planes and fighters, age V upgrade bombers.
Drago
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject:

Ahem. *Didn't Granny cost about 300$ or something?* ahem

Anyway, to hard to implement a WW2 warfare in this game. It's called hardcoded stuff.
President Washington
Saxon Cavalry
Saxon Cavalry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject:

Rolling Eyes Have you even be listening to these conversations?

First off, it's 12,500$. And secondly, I'm not even going to redirect you to the appropriate thread; you can find it yourself. It's still on the front page.
aledied
TAA Co-Lead
TAA Co-Lead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject:

im downloading granny Smile Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
President Washington
Saxon Cavalry
Saxon Cavalry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I've snapped, Drago. The thread is called "Granny SD K". lol
masskiller
Tsar
Tsar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject:

I would like to play this mod
Drago
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject:

There are still hardcoded stuff u can't pass, even with all ur grannies Wink

And the work is huge, and this mod might just die miraculoulsy after some weeks...eh, I'm not wishing this, just telling the truth.
Killzerslaul
The Ancient Age
The Ancient Age

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject:

I'm not working on it, btw.
I was just giving some ideas.
President Washington
Saxon Cavalry
Saxon Cavalry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Drago wrote:
There are still hardcoded stuff u can't pass, even with all ur grannies Wink

And the work is huge, and this mod might just die miraculoulsy after some weeks...eh, I'm not wishing this, just telling the truth.

I know. Rolling Eyes I pay attention to this modding stuff. I've read the No-Nos thread at AoEIIIHeaven.

And yes, this would be a gargantuan undertaking. I'm just tossing around the idea that a WWII, Cold War, WWI, etc. mod could be possible.
arcalion
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject:

no...i thinks that is it impossible.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
masskiller
Tsar
Tsar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject:

It can be possible (with Granny of course), but it will still have limitations.
Gunther
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject:

I can't get Granny. Crying or Very sad

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." -Napoléon Bonaparte
"Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity." -Thor Heyerdahl
"A house divided against itself cannot stand." -Jesus and Abraham Lincoln
arcalion
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject:

i have the granny, but i cant understand
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
masskiller
Tsar
Tsar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject:

As I wrote earlier, it's a complicated software made for profesional work, I doubt anyone could understand it without having knowledge of the matter before hand
President Washington
Saxon Cavalry
Saxon Cavalry

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject:

Here's the civs I have (I've already drawn up the unit and building lists, and basic descriptions of them):

Americans
British
Soviets
Germans
Italians
Japanese
Chinese

Who would make a good eighth civilization? I thought about the Polish, since they effectively were the cause of the war, but the French made a (cough) minor (cough) contribution to the Allied cause AND the Axis cause, having fought in Operation: Torch. The Spanish or Turks would also work as "hypothetical" combatants.
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6