Some Strategies Rush and Treaty

Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wunzigan
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Some Strategies Rush and Treaty

We are basically a group of 6-8 players, that play mostly on lan games lately, although we have played TAD on ESO for some time.

Anyway, I feel that some civs are quite OP. But nevermind this, I just want to point out some interesting things after playing quite some games in NE. I will just mention the new civs that we have used the most, because of either popularity or effectiveness.

AUSTRIA: Cheap Villagers, but it seems their gathering rate is quite low. Not too strong in late game or a treaty one. Their defensive strength doesnt make it up.

POLAND: Powerful explorer, excellent for killing villies, hunting treasures. Quite good eco. Their cavalry is good, but if you face a mass army of swiss pikemen you´re finished. Favourit unit was Tabor, mobile fort/samurai, very nice done.

SWEDEN: Well not much to say here. Torp boom. Can mass Hackapells or my favourite Swedish Fusiliers, with all upgrades can get 800 HP, 220 Attack, 250 Siege. A killing machine. Specially if teamed up with the Swiss. Also great for building mines. Swiss-Swedes, was a favourite combo. Basically the Swede gets the coin, and the Swiss food (herbalism). All you need, and the swedes can provide wood for both players with the torp boom. Also sweden can get Instant Horse Artillery. Nevertheless they xp trickle is low.

SWISS: Go for food if you play along Swedes. The rest is known I guess. Supply Wagons, Swiss Pikemen, High XP trickle, lack of walls. great with Sweden. And has Team Ransack cart which goes great with the Swedish Fusiliers. Great Villies (they are like a super skirmisher)

PRUSSIA: Great Eco, Great Villies, Great Anti Cav/Artillery (Death Hussar) and great anti infantry/ and siege Landkerls. Thats basically all you have to do.

ITALY: This is a funny and interesting civ. Super Eco. Basically if you choose the right cards, you can send from the beginning all your villies to get coin and let the market do the rest. Average military, but great defensive. I mean how fast can you eliminate about 11 TC with 30k HP? It would take a while even with hatamotos.

Thats all for now, I am sure I am missing some points.
Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject:

What's with the USA?
wunzigan
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject:

USA: Can be strong in rush, has no long term benefits in a treaty game in regards to its military. Eco, can be huge, if you use slave, plus the extra Slave pop card.
Good Infantry, decent Siege, UP cav. Their consulate doesnt really bring in anything really good, except the Bison, and a couple of Dog Soldiers. The rest isnt that good as to mention it here.
Again in Rush, if you use the Frontiersman to get treasures, and auto gather food, should be enough to keep your production villies. With the proper cards, you have instant Inf, and Cav. Though Cav, is not advisable, specially in a 2 vs 2, if lets say your partner is Prussia, Poland, or France.

MERCENARIES in general I will only mention the ones I believe are worth using)

Pavise: Its a better version of the crossbowmen, these with a couple of pikemen, Heavy Cannon, Nuncio and Architect (with proper upgrades and card) can be quite an army to stop. A friend dropped on me like 50 fully upgraded swisspikemen and were shredded.

Swiss Pikemen: Advisable if you the Swiss. Have lots of upgrades for them. A truly siege machine. You only will struggle if you face an army of skirmisher type and cannons, lots of cannons.

Mammeluke: High HP, low attach.High Pop Usage, not one of my favourite. Use as a Meatshield only.

Hackappell: Great Cav, Decent HP, Excellent Attach. 3 Pop. Well, if massed can be quite hard to stop if you dont know they are coming. Mass some pikes, or use Death Hussar Cav againts them.

Highlander: Lovely unit, 2 Pop, with High HP, 2 Pop. nice atack, nice siege.
If played with Sweden or Italy, they get a lot of upgrades and can reach up to 1000HP. Basically any civ that has cards upgrading their infantry will benefit with these.

Fusiliers: My favourite for obvious reasons, since I like to play Sweden with a Swiss Partner. Lots of upgrades. And it just makes them be like the HIghlanders, but on a total different level. A better one. Huge Attack, Huge Siege, 800 HP (with cards). You could mass like 70 of them, quite hard to stop. It just takes 5 of them with one shot to kill any cannon. Has bonus against cav and inf.

Elmeti: High HP (can get 2000 HP with right Cards). Great against inf, decent against everything else. The only cons about this, is the 4 Pop usage. I almost never used it, but depending on the situation might be a suitable option.

Again, I mention the mercenaries, because some civs benefit greatly from them. Besides it lets you focus mainly on 1 resource, coin. Who I think could benefit from Mercenaries? Swiss, great eco, have herbalism and fur trade. Italy, great at coin. And the Swedes, if you go for a Torp Boom, and use TImber Export.

In 2v2, great pairs are Swiss-Sweden, Italy-Prussia, Poland-Swiss.

One thing that maybe somebody can answer to me. In some Civ, at the universtity or other bulidings you can only train units if you have a ship or two. What about in only land maps, wouldnt those civs be in a disadvantage? Specially France.
The Dude
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject:

The Polish explorer is weak at first but get stronger.

-Julius Caesar

gdffgdfgd
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject:

wunzigan wrote:

One thing that maybe somebody can answer to me. In some Civ, at the universtity or other bulidings you can only train units if you have a ship or two. What about in only land maps, wouldnt those civs be in a disadvantage? Specially France.

If mean that "ship" symbol on the Icon, this only means that you need a shipment for the tech.
wunzigan
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the answer. I always thought what that ship really meant. Concerning the polish explorer, if you can get 3 asap, you have a good treasure hunting squad, plus, you can raid villies quite effective. Against everything else, its useless, especially in a treaty game (raiding villies)
The Dude
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject:

I usually wait to the Third age as well.

-Julius Caesar

wunzigan
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject:

I must mention than in our lan games we all know each other well, and how we play, that games last an hour+, usually 2vs2, or 3vs3. We do get to imperial, and our accumulative resources go from 300k to 500k, only once with France somebody reached 700k+.

What I mean with this, is when the big battles come, we usually have 120k coin each, spending around 30k in Spies, leaves you with around 80-90K coin. Which might seem a lot, but using mercernaries, they can go fast, and I mean very fast. So my advise, is, only mass mercenaries when you it will be almost certain victory, if it backshoots, you will be in a lot of trouble recovering from that expenditure. Thats why Fur trade, Timber Export, or alike cards, might come in handy every once in a while. You never know. We do not play treaty by the way. Too boring, playing 40 min-50min just collecting, and then attack...Use to play it, but Supremacy Classic is much funnier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1