Strategy Help - Start Fortress Age

Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wunzigan
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Strategy Help - Start Fortress Age

Hi there,
Like I mentioned before, we are about 6-8 lan players that play usually NE now, and recently we have been trying a different approach by starting in Fortress Age, so that games eventually get to Imperial. We tried this, first because games rarely got past Industrial, and after 40 min games either side was almost beaten. Second, we wanted to see the full potential of Imperial techs for the civs.

Now question is, which nation do you think has the most advantage by starting in Age III? The Swedes, because they already have some of the Market Upgrades? The Austrians, because their villies cost only 40 food? And what would your deck look alike, and what cards do you send first? In our games, most of us send either a military card first like 6 Oprichnik, or the 8 Polish Cavalry one....Maybe the 6 petard is a good idea to surprise the enemy. Havent thought about it. Others send the Colony wagon first or the 1000 wood? Would love to hear some feedback on this.
wunzigan
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject:

I thought also about the italians and their first superfast shipment.
1) You ship 1000 gold

Architect makes a house, and goes forward to build a OP near enemy base.
Send 2 villies to gold, 2 to food, next villie goes to food, the rest to gold.

Once the tower is done, you should be ready to send 2nd shipment. Send the 17 troop card, and start attacking base. This should be done around 2:50

Once the architect finishes with the OP, send him back to base to build houses. If you need more wood, get it through market.

Keep sending troops through shipments, keep making villies.

At 7 min, I had almost 80 troops and collected 5000 gold...
Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Austria might be strong 'cause of their native allies and in the 3rd age they are able to train line infantry, their only gunpowder heavy infantry (means: strong against cav)!
wunzigan
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject:

We tried with Austria, but starting on 3rd Age, its kinda hard to be aggressive and will play mainly defensive. I ve tried to go straight up to Natives, using most native cards in the beginning, and villagers go to food and wood only. The strategy only works half way. Key advantage for this kind of game, are whoever can get his economy the fastest and be agressive from the 1st min. Those civ who can get their shipments before the rest have an advantage, such as the Swiss and Italy. Sweden has strong eco because of their already upgraded market stuff, but the Xp trickle is lower than the rest, which can be a huge handicap, specially in smaller maps. In 2vs2 or more, we play at the Random Land Map or Lake Baikal, which are kinda the biggest maps there, therefore, Sweden might have a chance. For sweden I like those culverin cards which make them very powerful.
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Is this guy a bot? He/it/she made 45 posts in a day, all in the strategy section.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Harkimo wrote:
Is this guy a bot? He/it/she made 45 posts in a day, all in the strategy section.

No, he didn't!

Check: http://www.ne.elpea.net/forum/search.php?search_id=1025216654&start=16

The intervals are weird indeed, but the posts still have "human attributes". He's not stupidly posting ads or anything, so I could imagine he either copies texts from somewhere or is really that type of a fast geek. Doesn't really look like a bot, but not also not absolutely human either. It's not really annoying though, cause he always posts content in a correct context. A bot would most probably be too stupid for that.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject:

oh well. If he/she is a human, not a bot, im pretty sure that person will answer to this.
wunzigan
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Right, I am not a bot. I remember when I posted all these threads. I was experimenting with all these civs for like 3 weeks non stop, and when I finally made up my mind, I started with the posting. It took me a while to make the first one, but once I had the structure and all that, the others came quite fast. Nevertheless, dont expect these serial postings again, unless I get some weird thinking about strategies, plus some testing afterwards.....hmmmm dont put some crazy ideas in my head. Anyway at least I hope you enjoyed them. Cheers
Hoop Thrower
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Americans should get a good boost off being able to build miners right away.
Building a forward base with Poles could work, but since they will need a lot of farms (and thus, wood) to age up and collect food effectively, I think they would be the weakest.
wunzigan
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Dont forget, that the Polish Explorer can harass your villies from beginning and it is very effective. 2nd) Polish farms are very cheap, I believe they cost half in comparision to the others.

The good thing about americans, is basically what I posted before in this thread with pros and cons. In treaty games, they are an economic power (villies plus slaves, miners, etc). In Rush games, they should do well. Just keep your frontiersman autogather food, and hunt treasures. This should give you an early map control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1