Blitzkrieg

Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
President Washington
Saxon Cavalry
Saxon Cavalry

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Blitzkrieg

INTRODUCTION
I designed this strategy for Skirmish games, on Moderate difficulty, and without NE. I assume this can be applied to any civilization, including NE and NE-modified ones, but I don't know.

THE BENEFITS
- You get a super-powerful economy quickly.
- You get a super-powerful military quickly.

THE DRAWBACKS
- On the off-chance the enemy strikes you before you build your military, you will probably be defeated.

THE BASIC PRINCIPLES
A Blitzkrieg is a combination of BOTH a Boom and a Rush, which are usually polar opposites. The name comes from the fact that you strike fast and devastatingly (Rush), but continue to keep wearing down your enemy forces (which you cannot do in a Rush) by sending ever increasing numbers of troops to the front.

The Blitzkrieg is done by focusing on getting such a massive number of Settlers that you can gather resources very swiftly.

THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME
After collecting Crates, put all Settlers on Food collection. Train more Settlers, always putting them on Food. If you need to build a House, send all Settlers to gather Wood and then revert back to Food once you have the House up.

It is very possible to have 60 Settlers before you advance to Colonial.

THE MILITARY BUILD-UP
Put Settlers on Food, Coin, or Wood depending on what you need to get your army. Train AT LEAST 50 of your basic infantry unit, and send it out to fight.

ALTERNATIVE 1: THE BLITZKRIEG
Continue gathering resources like normal. Swamp your enemy with massive armies. Once, I was fielding 150 Musketeers 14 minutes into the game.

ALTERNATIVE 2: SCHOLARLY BLITZKRIEG
Blow your resources on Age Advancement, rather than follow-up attacks. I got to Industrial within 26 minutes like that.

ALTERNATIVE 3: FAST BOOM
This has you CHANGING from a Blitzkrieg strategy to a Boom strategy. Balance resource collection; you already have an advantage over your enemies.

ALTERNATIVE 4: FAST TURTLE
Invest in Fortifications, to counter a possible Rush.

OTHER CIVILIZATIONS
Civilizations like the Dutch, Italians, Ottomans, and Indians may require different strategies. The Ottomans may be impossible for this strategy.

The Polish will require some Farms to be created if they are going to advance.
arcalion
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Confused Well... as you said it could probably be countered with a rush, especially if you take the time to train 60 settlers before advancing to colonial.

The risk with trying to combine a defensive, economic strategy with an aggressive military one is that you might not get the best of the two worlds, but rather an average of both, which in turn could be countered by extremes.

President Washington
Saxon Cavalry
Saxon Cavalry

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject:

SAOL wrote:
Confused Well... as you said it could probably be countered with a rush, especially if you take the time to train 60 settlers before advancing to colonial.

The risk with trying to combine a defensive, economic strategy with an aggressive military one is that you might not get the best of the two worlds, but rather an average of both, which in turn could be countered by extremes.

No, you'd get to Colonial before anybody else. Or just a few minutes after them.

The thing with this strategy (playing against a COMPUTER of limited intelligence and on a Moderate setting) is that you do get the best of both worlds, and you get the best fast.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Well, if you age up with 60 settlers, you have probably trained at least 45 from one town centre. A settler takes 30 seconds or so to train, yes? Confused That's... more than 20 minutes of settler training before you press the age up button Confused It is quite possible to get to the industrial age in that time.

President Washington
Saxon Cavalry
Saxon Cavalry

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Confused

Maybe I meant 30 settlers, then. lol
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Quite some difference, is it not? lol

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject:

I always train 20-30 villagers before I advance, and the start to build up. You age up a bit later than the rest, but if you build defences, you can counter the weaker early game civs in raids and rushs. (i.e. italian and dutch, sometimes also porto) Doesn't work so well against Spain and such because they favour raiding.
chris17
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject:

i always age up with the villagers provided and 2-3 more and start building villagers after ageing up
President Washington
Saxon Cavalry
Saxon Cavalry

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Harkimo wrote:
I always train 20-30 villagers before I advance, and the start to build up. You age up a bit later than the rest, but if you build defences, you can counter the weaker early game civs in raids and rushs. (i.e. italian and dutch, sometimes also porto) Doesn't work so well against Spain and such because they favour raiding.

I ALWAYS have 10 on each resource.

But the point of the Blitzkrieg is that you advance faster; so, while you still may end up with a normal amount of settlers in Colonial, you got to Colonial FAST.
wunzigan
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Hey, the only way I can see that this strat would work well somehow is if you are using the swiss. Nevertheless, for a super fast villie production you will need more TC, and thus, wood. Also if you play against Poland this will not work, the opponent (Human) will rush your villies with them, killing a couple, and sending the rest to your TC, delaying your production. The Swiss can get to Imperial in the 15 min mark if not harrassed.
President Washington
Saxon Cavalry
Saxon Cavalry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject:

wunzigan wrote:
Hey, the only way I can see that this strat would work well somehow is if you are using the swiss. Nevertheless, for a super fast villie production you will need more TC, and thus, wood. Also if you play against Poland this will not work, the opponent (Human) will rush your villies with them, killing a couple, and sending the rest to your TC, delaying your production. The Swiss can get to Imperial in the 15 min mark if not harrassed.

Dude, you can crush anybody with this strategy. (also, it was designed for non-modded NE) It may be impossible to use if you are Ottoman, Indian, or Dutch.

Designed for playing against a COMPUTER. Poland controlled by a computer wouldn't raid you, do to the crappy AI.

Imperial in the 15 minute mark? Impressive. How do you do it?

TO CHRIS:
That's a bad idea. You may fall behind faster if you do the 10-on-each, but you want your economy chugging as soon as you hit Colonial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1