Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Ottomangrel
Swiss Guard
Swiss Guard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject:

More settlers = More resources.
More resources = More military, buildings and defenses.

Settlers are always the base to a successful game, as I have found.

My fist will cash them!
masskiller
Tsar
Tsar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Harkimo wrote:
Indeed.
Walls are to weak to have any use, and you cant build stuff close to your enemy, which makes it bad to use in offence too.

I agree, but I must say that outposts themselves work well, in a well played treaty you won't need walls, and in a rush game you will always have a constant ammount of soldiers being trained before sending them, in other words, most of the time walls aren't of much use.

Quote:
Settlers are always the base to a successful game, as I have found.

True, but having 99 of them is the worst thing anyone can do, the ammount of population left for a decent army is way too small, having 40 works well, and you don't really need more than 40.
malabar
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject:

For a treaty 40 minutes games you must have max villies u can get. If u play german or americans for example u will have to delete some just before end of treaty to have a decent army.

To get map control and slow ur ennemy u also must wall up (especially against civ that move faster (russia, india, ottoman, swiss etc). Team treaty games need a lot of team work for basing: always mix with ur partenrs for barracks , fundries, stables. Outpost are very usefull to hide ur vills who are building Front bases (and they can help a bit to make damage), u can also build a town center close behind ur fb to hide and create vills. Walls can make the difference when ur micro skills is the same as ur ennemy: walls avoid to be flanked, they protect against melee unit, they give u time to react ... Dont forget to make gates ^^

one thing to be carefull with: stay out of ur walls (behind or in forward them) because if ur units are stucked in, ennemy's mortars can kill or greatly damage them while shooting walls

Of course if ur are bashing a noob player u wont need walls but all i tell is considered u play even game (same skill)

For military buildings u first make a fb usualy in half map but u must be able to build with ur partners and to build while ur army moves (behind or forward). It doesnt exist "super base" it's more about strategie: what u build, where u build when u build, fast reaction and of course counter ur ennemy.
nowadays most of good treaty games are "how u micro ur culverins" if it's not a "running game" and the more often is the difference between what u spend and what spent the ennemy; that's why having a good eco (with max villies) is important.

If u guys want record games i can share some of good treaty players on TAD and u can get some good sup games in http://rts-sanctuary.com
masskiller
Tsar
Tsar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject:

I do agree that walls are useful, however, having max villies (fine in Sweden's case since their limit is 50) is sacrificing military for economy, you can make with 40-50 villagers an army of 150 pop, and if you are smart enough you will surpass that by using shipments of mercs or average armies, and once the treaty is to be over you have your army ready for an inmediate strike, this gives you the upper hand in the battle if your enemy didn't do the same, and 50 villies aren't that much of useless either, they provide for a nice economy, not superb, but good enough for most players.

I do admit that killing villagers in the last 10-5 minutes of the treaty might work, but not as certainly as you would if you didn't, I don't think that getting to 99 is good, 50-70 is unnecessary but good, if well managed, 99 is excessive.
The Ottomangrel
Swiss Guard
Swiss Guard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject:

I Always had 15 settlers per resource, plus a few builders.

My fist will cash them!
masskiller
Tsar
Tsar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I take builders from the ones gathering the resource I have most once I have reached my self imposed limit of 50 vills
malabar
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject:

i promise Masskiller if u dont make max villagers for a 40 minutes treaty, u wont be able to fight anyone for a long time and if u expect u win in 2 minutes it's a false strategy. Do u ever played online ? If not i understand u dont have experience of good treaty games; if yes just add me ( _malabar ) and i'll show u if u want^^
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject:

I dont play online, my NE has never worked online and I dont care about it
In treaty games I have the same amount of vills as normal: 45; 20 on food, 15 on wood and 10 on coin. (Factories produce coin too)
malabar
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject:

lol Harkimo, u just cant say what is the best way to play treaty games or others if u dont play online, i mean bots are not good at all in treaty.

Furthermore u dont care about it but for people who want to know better way to play treaty u must tell good advices, be sure it works against good level treaty players. Definitely no, u wrong and i give u a forum's link where u can get games of best treaty players (u can try to tell them ur strat to see what they answer...) http://trt-aoe3-clan.twilightlegend.com/forum.htm
it's not about NE or other we are talking about treaty and base.
Plus in treaty for most of civ, factories on wood ^^
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject:

malabar wrote:
lol Harkimo, u just cant say what is the best way to play treaty games or others if u dont play online, i mean bots are not good at all in treaty.

Furthermore u dont care about it but for people who want to know better way to play treaty u must tell good advices, be sure it works against good level treaty players. Definitely no, u wrong and i give u a forum's link where u can get games of best treaty players (u can try to tell them ur strat to see what they answer...) http://trt-aoe3-clan.twilightlegend.com/forum.htm
it's not about NE or other we are talking about treaty and base.
Plus in treaty for most of civ, factories on wood ^^

I have not said Bots were good in treaty games.
I dont fucking care about giving good advice.
Im selfish.
I dont give a fuck about your links.
malabar
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject:

ok stay noob and immature it's ur problem, but feel good i wont post in this forum anymore
masskiller
Tsar
Tsar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Whatever, what does a player do playing online with Swedes in a treaty? the max is 50 Rolling Eyes
chris17
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject:

this is a problem for sweden and civs that have small settler build limit (except dutch who have banks)
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject:

Yeah, then I guess you could use some of their overpoweriness or whatever you call it.
chris17
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject:

right, for example the powerful units that sweden has
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject:

Yeah, their cheap unit upgrades compensates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies All times are GMT
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4