9%
 9%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 86

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

stubbo wrote:
Agreed...it likely means which Civ is the most powerful/easiest to win games with irrespective of the opponent/gives a fundamental advantage just through the selection of that nation.

Exactly. That's why I as designer don't like it much when many people agree about one civ being the best. It's helpful though, because it indicates something is most likely wrong with its balance. In that context the least popular civs are especially interesting and attractive for me, because they get me started thinking ambitiously about how a civ can be improved, which is what game designers love doing as problem-solvers.

Quote:
In an ideal scenario, all Civs would be equally powerful and the deciding factor would be the players skilled use of the Civ with no in built factors making one Civ fundamentally stronger than another.

That's why I think AoE1 and AoE2 are better from a balance pov than AoE3, because they limit and clearly define the possible room for uniqueness. Through that you can minimize the unpredictability of interplay between civs in all possible constellations. Setting up AoE3 balance must have been tremendous work if you consider the amount of techs, cards, politicians, map, etc. that must be considered.

Quote:
I think what is being asked is: Which Civ has a vastly OP economy, which Civ has a unit you can mass and then no one can counter, or other such anomalies.

Yeah, and I find it sorta sad that the majority of people would consider these traits. I'd like people to care more about harmony of features, visual design, sounds, historical depth, etc. Back in the days when I picked up strategy games I already had a much larger, genuine interest in the factions themselves. Actual strength didn't matter so much to me, because my fantasy was always stronger. Devil

Edit: What I find a bit lame in that context btw is when people obviously fav a civ only because it's connected with their home country. I guess that's how you can safely identify people with nationalist tendencies in gaming circles. But well, that's another discussion I guess. ^^

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Crazy Crusher
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Most Fun CIV = Americans
Strongest CIV = Swedish
Strongest AI = British?
Weakest AI = Austrians?
roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject:

I personally think that Sweden and America stand above all others, Austria not far behind. My favorite civ would definitely be Prussia, the anti-heavy infantry heavy infantry schossgarde (sorry for the spelling) is my favorite NE Unit, also instant training cavalry and the Death's Head Hussar are great.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RoySOTR

Feel free to add me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies All times are GMT
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6