NE Recruitment thread
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Forum Index -> NE Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
checanos
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Q are you guys still looking for help? (I noticed that this thread is from 2011, but since it is not locked I don't know)

Google+YoutubeAoEIII Heaven
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Sure!
checanos
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject:

well I installed AOE3ed and started looking and seeing how it works. I have gimp and I am not a bad artist.
Spoiler:

here is a lanskecht I drew using gimp

Google+YoutubeAoEIII Heaven
Brozzo
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject:

yeah.. im a fuckin fool in computer stuff.. but i would love to do some research stuff.. im naturally interested in history.. so tell me what ya need and i gonna search it for ya.. excuse my language Smile Rider
andrea169
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject:

The voice of the italian are not so good,i can help find someone.
Once i found some good voice i will upload it.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject:

Even if you don't find someone, I'd be happy if you could provide a list of sounds you don't like and say why.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Fr Steve
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Hi NE teammates!
Above all, I'd like to congratulate you for this more than awesome mod I discovered two years ago. I remember having played it and even translated it in French, but then I became busy and only re-discovered this mod one month ago, with so many changes you did and are still doing. But let's talk about the real purpose of my post:

I don't know if someone among your team eventually managed to do a rather decent AI, which would allow all NE civs to play correctly when they're allies/opponents. If not, then I'm happy to lend you a hand: by myself, I discovered how AOEIII worked and was able to allow new civs to build correct buildings, researching required techs and using some new units. This file isn't perfect but it should really help you and allow NE players to really enjoy a game. You just have to download this file: aiMain.xs and put it in AI3 folder in your AOEIII directory. But think about backing up the former file before overwriting it!

Last time I modified it (3 days ago), it worked, so hopefully my memory's good Mr. Green Now, basically, what does this AI does? Many things I can't fully remember but here is what comes to my mind:

***ALL CIVS***

*Build their respective houses (colonial for US, Eastern for Austrians, Polish, Swedish, etc.)
*Build a university (I don't know if they already did)
*Use their new politicians smartly
*Are defined as rushers, boomers, offensive, defensive, cavalry/infantry oriented, fond of Natives &/or trade routes
*Use some of the new non-unique wagons (church, native embassy...)

***AUSTRIANS***

*Use their politicians smartly (not the same way than other)
*Gather more wood than other civs (to reach ages)
*Build watch towers
*Are supposed to build keeps (not tested yet)

***FRENCH***

*Build academies (garrisons not yet, I must change that)
*Act differently than former French=> they are more aggressive and rusher
*Use sans-culotte

***GERMANS***

*Build the Reichstag

***ITALIANS***

*Build the basilica
*Use the merchant as a gathering villager & ONLY to build what they can build
*Use the architect as a builder for what he can build, and never send him to 'gather'
*Gather more coins than other civs
*Build galleys

***POLISH***

*Build more farms than other civs according to the number they should reach to age up AND if they need more food
*Gather a bit more wood than other civs
*Do not send their settlers over wild animals to hunt
*Almost always have the Royal hunting grounds card in their game
*Send settlers to hunt if this card is activated
*Use the szlachcic as an explorer
*Train at least 1 szlachcic when needed (didn't pay attention in the last test)
*Build carracks

***PRUSSIANS***

*Build barracks, stables, foundries and outposts like if they was normal
*Use their military wagons (but not always it seems)
*Train and use landwehr

***SWEDISH***

*Build torps
*Use the mine wagon
*Send their settlers to those new mines (but not always it seems too)

***SWISS***

*Build tents & bivouacs (at least two for this one)
*Build additionnal supply wagons
*Use followers

***AMERICANS***

*Build ranches
*Use frontiersmen as villagers AND send one of them as an explorer until a real explorer is sent
*Almost always have the ShipExplorer card in their game
*Use the settlement wagons as covered wagons
*Build a consulate (but don't seem to use it)
*Build corvettes

That's about all I remember. I do hope no one already fixed this... There're things I plan to add if you think it's interesting (and I personally think it is):
*Allowing the Swedish explorer to 'build' mines
*Improving the use of the military wagon; I think it may be possible
*Still trying to make the foundry wagon usable; despite numerous attempts, AI still refuses to use them, but I'm sure I'm able to fix this
*Using more frontiersmen for early exploration for US. I don't know if it's possible, but that's worth a try...
*Allowing French to build garrisons; normally, it's already done, but since I never saw my French ally/enemy building one, my setup needs to be revised
*Allowing Italians to build their two statues
*Changing the keep building's setup for Austrians? For the moment, I never saw one in a game
*Revising the use of the American consulate

Now for the sad part of the post (alas, good news always hide bad ones Sad ): there are things I tried again & again to do, but despite all my attempts, it was impossible to fix some things, leading the game to an impasse. Here are these unfortunate and failed attempts:

*Using the miners as gold gatheres only. It seems like an impossible-to-change thing in AI. The system seems to want to use all units with AbstractVillager type as villagers, whatever resource they cannot gather. Thus, it leads miners to trees and food, whatever you do in AI files. Then, my suggestion for this: removing the AbstractVillager type in Protoy.xml I think it's not that useful for the game, and they are already considered as military units too, which lead to another issue I noticed: American AI thinks his miners are soldiers, and thus, refrain from training more military units when they have miners, which is silly since miners aren't good against units. Thus, by removing their villager type, AI will consider them as military units only, not sending them stupidly on resources they can't gather. I don't know if I'll be able to make them gather coin with AI, I'll try, but at least, they won't send them pointlessly from HC and consider them like soldiers. I'd also make them as an AbstractArtillery unit too, rather than infantry. In the worst case, AI wouldn't train any miners, but it would at least use its units correctly.

*From there, I fear it's the same thing for slaves, unable to gather wood, berries, mines and meat. That's why I didn't allow AI to train some.

*Aging up for Polish. This is the saddest part of this report, and I swear to you, I tried so many things (activate and deactivate and re-activate the age tech, allowing it from the beginning, adding a trade cost to Polish politicians...). But no, I'm really sorry, but there's nothing that can be done for Polish to age up despite building farms. And it's really an AI issue since a human player may age up. I think it's again an impossible-to-change stuff. Basically, when the AI chooses to age up, it seems that this choice is done from the very beginning of the game. By preventing this ageup tech from being able at this moment, Polish AI seems not to understand the trick, and then fails from the beginning to choose to age up. And I cannot even reactivate it: it's now or never, we could say. So the only thing I can tell you guys is, unfortunately, to get rid of this farms-to-build age up thing. I know it was a really good way of playing, but you cannot let all civs but the Poles be able to play as AI correctly. I can tell you, by removing this and leaving the Polish aging up normally, they play amazingly well!

Of course, if anyone know how to solve these problems, it would be amazing! But I'm rather pessimistic about this. Sad

Now, while I'm still here, why not adding more help? I can provide you many new voices for civs. I found them on different websites and am even using many of them for my own mod for AOEII. Then, I may provide Swedish, Italian, Polish, Hungarian (for Grenzer and Magyar Huszar), and even more French if you wish (I'm French myself!) for the Chasseur for example (Beaumont's voices always makes me laugh, but I really doubt Napoleonic soldiers had such English accent, above all when you know how English loved us Frenchies!). I noticed too many Swedish and Polish units used the same voice actor, so it would give more diversity. Even for villagers, I think they're lacking of sentences for some works (Polish settlers say the same thing for bushes and farm, for example).
I have also a suggestion for Swiss: since Switzerland is a multilingual nation from long time, what do you think about making them speaking different languages? The musketeer could speak French with Swiss accent (I'm up for that!), the reislaufer would still speak Swiss German, the halberdier would speak Romansh and the Swiss guard would speak Italian for instance. Even the followers, despite being women, could randomly speak German or Romansh (I know how to pronounce this language and even know what words to say).
Eventually, last thing, frontiersmen (and even American settlers maybe) could speak with an American voice. There must be some Yankees on this site, so why not asking them to record a new voice for American villagers? They would say 'lumberjack', 'trader', 'forager', etc. That would be cool, no?

Well, I've finally ended this long long post. Please, tell me what you think about my AI, suggestions and issues, and feel free to give me ideas to improve this AI, it's not a big problem for me Smile And take your time to read this post, I'm not in a hurry Wink Thanks again for the work you did, and good luck!
Smorley_7
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject:

Fr Steve wrote:

*Aging up for Polish. This is the saddest part of this report, and I swear to you, I tried so many things (activate and deactivate and re-activate the age tech, allowing it from the beginning, adding a trade cost to Polish politicians...). But no, I'm really sorry, but there's nothing that can be done for Polish to age up despite building farms. And it's really an AI issue since a human player may age up. I think it's again an impossible-to-change stuff. Basically, when the AI chooses to age up, it seems that this choice is done from the very beginning of the game. By preventing this ageup tech from being able at this moment, Polish AI seems not to understand the trick, and then fails from the beginning to choose to age up. And I cannot even reactivate it: it's now or never, we could say. So the only thing I can tell you guys is, unfortunately, to get rid of this farms-to-build age up thing. I know it was a really good way of playing, but you cannot let all civs but the Poles be able to play as AI correctly. I can tell you, by removing this and leaving the Polish aging up normally, they play amazingly well!

You sound like someone would be great for ne. There is actually a fan mod at Age of Empires 3 Heaven that has bug fixes for NE. When I used it the Polish aged up and fought like a normal ai (as well as all the other new civs too). So you can look at the data on that to help you.

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=3139&f=2
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps... we could make 2 versions of the Polish? (One AI, one player)
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Fr Steve wrote:
Hi NE teammates!Above all, I'd like to congratulate you for this more than awesome mod I discovered two years ago. I remember having played it and even translated it in French, but then I became busy and only re-discovered this mod one month ago, with so many changes you did and are still doing. But let's talk about the real purpose of my post:
Cool, thanks! Glad you like it! Do you want to share your (complete?) French translation of NE 2.01 with us and the rest of the world? I'm sure French-speaking players would appreciate it!

Quote:
I don't know if someone among your team eventually managed to do a rather decent AI, which would allow all NE civs to play correctly when they're allies/opponents. If not, then I'm happy to lend you a hand: by myself, I discovered how AOEIII worked and was able to allow new civs to build correct buildings, researching required techs and using some new units. This file isn't perfect but it should really help you and allow NE players to really enjoy a game. You just have to download this file: aiMain.xs and put it in AI3 folder in your AOEIII directory. But think about backing up the former file before overwriting it!
For the new NE version I and our former amateur AI scripter Zephyr_Arsland managed to give adopt the Draugur AI to the new internal built of NE. It doesn't do everything it could/should, but it's working for almost all civs at least.

Even though I haven't been involved that much in the making of the NE versions, I'm positively surprised if fans like you return with useful contributions like these. There are quite a few modifications that aim at improving NE 2.01 - mainly targetting the crappy AI. I'll have a look on these mods and probably post them on our FB channel. Thanks a lot already in advance! Winkthumbs up!

Quote:
Last time I modified it (3 days ago), it worked, so hopefully my memory's good Mr. Green Now, basically, what does this AI does? Many things I can't fully remember but here is what comes to my mind:
Okay, read it all and commented. To keep the thread overview smooth n easy I put it all in a spoiler though.

Spoiler:

Quote:
***ALL CIVS***

*Build their respective houses (colonial for US, Eastern for Austrians, Polish, Swedish, etc.)
*Build a university (I don't know if they already did)
*Use their new politicians smartly
*Are defined as rushers, boomers, offensive, defensive, cavalry/infantry oriented, fond of Natives &/or trade routes
*Use some of the new non-unique wagons (church, native embassy...)
How does the politician work in detail?

Quote:
***AUSTRIANS***

*Use their politicians smartly (not the same way than other)
*Gather more wood than other civs (to reach ages)
*Build watch towers
*Are supposed to build keeps (not tested yet)
That's pretty cool.

Quote:
***FRENCH***

*Build academies (garrisons not yet, I must change that)
*Act differently than former French=> they are more aggressive and rusher
*Use sans-culotte
I don't really know if I'll keep the Academy and Garrison for French. But that should be easily changable for the future version.

Quote:
***GERMANS***

*Build the Reichstag
That's an important one indeed, especially for future versions. One would need to ensure they're also using its functionality, which will be different in the next release.

Quote:
***ITALIANS***

*Build the basilica
*Use the merchant as a gathering villager & ONLY to build what they can build
*Use the architect as a builder for what he can build, and never send him to 'gather'
*Gather more coins than other civs
*Build galleys
Villager functionality is important, Merchant and Architect will be varied, but if someone made alternative villagers already work, then that's a good thing.

The coin focus will be altered in the next version too, they'll have a strong XP focus too, but coin still remains important.

Quote:
***POLISH***

*Build more farms than other civs according to the number they should reach to age up AND if they need more food
*Gather a bit more wood than other civs
*Do not send their settlers over wild animals to hunt
*Almost always have the Royal hunting grounds card in their game
*Send settlers to hunt if this card is activated*Use the szlachcic as an explorer
*Train at least 1 szlachcic when needed (didn't pay attention in the last test)
*Build carracks
Well, but hunting is a strategically important eco setup for all civs, just as basic age up procedure. It shouldn't be avoided on purpose. CPU players have other weaknesses, so they shouldn't have unnecessary ones.

+1 for Szlachcic functionality though.

Quote:
***PRUSSIANS***

*Build barracks, stables, foundries and outposts like if they was normal
*Use their military wagons (but not always it seems)
*Train and use landwehr
Good!

Quote:
***SWEDISH***

*Build torps
*Use the mine wagon
*Send their settlers to those new mines (but not always it seems too)
The mine laming won't be found in the Swedish civ in the next release. So, it's not that important. Torp functionality would be more important then.

Quote:
***SWISS***

*Build tents & bivouacs (at least two for this one)
*Build additionnal supply wagons
*Use followers
Very good!

Quote:
***AMERICANS***

*Build ranches
*Use frontiersmen as villagers AND send one of them as an explorer until a real explorer is sent
*Almost always have the ShipExplorer card in their game
*Use the settlement wagons as covered wagons
*Build a consulate (but don't seem to use it)
*Build corvettes
As well.

Quote:
That's about all I remember. I do hope no one already fixed this... There're things I plan to add if you think it's interesting (and I personally think it is):
*Allowing the Swedish explorer to 'build' mines
*Improving the use of the military wagon; I think it may be possible
*Still trying to make the foundry wagon usable; despite numerous attempts, AI still refuses to use them, but I'm sure I'm able to fix this
*Using more frontiersmen for early exploration for US. I don't know if it's possible, but that's worth a try...
*Allowing French to build garrisons; normally, it's already done, but since I never saw my French ally/enemy building one, my setup needs to be revised
*Allowing Italians to build their two statues
*Changing the keep building's setup for Austrians? For the moment, I never saw one in a game
*Revising the use of the American consulate

Good ideas.

Quote:
Now for the sad part of the post (alas, good news always hide bad ones Sad ): there are things I tried again & again to do, but despite all my attempts, it was impossible to fix some things, leading the game to an impasse. Here are these unfortunate and failed attempts:

*Using the miners as gold gatheres only. It seems like an impossible-to-change thing in AI. The system seems to want to use all units with AbstractVillager type as villagers, whatever resource they cannot gather. Thus, it leads miners to trees and food, whatever you do in AI files. Then, my suggestion for this: removing the AbstractVillager type in Protoy.xml I think it's not that useful for the game, and they are already considered as military units too, which lead to another issue I noticed: American AI thinks his miners are soldiers, and thus, refrain from training more military units when they have miners, which is silly since miners aren't good against units. Thus, by removing their villager type, AI will consider them as military units only, not sending them stupidly on resources they can't gather. I don't know if I'll be able to make them gather coin with AI, I'll try, but at least, they won't send them pointlessly from HC and consider them like soldiers. I'd also make them as an AbstractArtillery unit too, rather than infantry. In the worst case, AI wouldn't train any miners, but it would at least use its units correctly.

*From there, I fear it's the same thing for slaves, unable to gather wood, berries, mines and meat. That's why I didn't allow AI to train some.
Hm, I see. That's bad indeed. A workaround may be to give Miners the ability to chop wood and do the other things, maybe the AI will try to get the units working on resources with the best gather rate for it? I don't understand why the Military tag has been added, maybe because of a tech, but actually it can be removed. Also, I'm not so sure if we'll keep the basic setup with Miners and such. Maybe there'll be moved to the HC only, so it's not that basic anymore (don't know the current economy setup though).

Quote:
No problem, I planned to undo that anyway. So Polish will get the regular age up back, that's less confusing for both, players and the AI. Wink

Quote:
Of course, if anyone know how to solve these problems, it would be amazing! But I'm rather pessimistic about this. Sad
Don't be! I'm working hard to make NE a good round game and we will find the solutions to most problems. Especially since the existence of the Modding Council, other modders are more likely to help out and already did in the past. So, I'm rather optimistic here Smile

Quote:
Now, while I'm still here, why not adding more help? I can provide you many new voices for civs. I found them on different websites and am even using many of them for my own mod for AOEII. Then, I may provide Swedish, Italian, Polish, Hungarian (for Grenzer and Magyar Huszar), and even more French if you wish (I'm French myself!) for the Chasseur for example (Beaumont's voices always makes me laugh, but I really doubt Napoleonic soldiers had such English accent, above all when you know how English loved us Frenchies!). I noticed too many Swedish and Polish units used the same voice actor, so it would give more diversity. Even for villagers, I think they're lacking of sentences for some works (Polish settlers say the same thing for bushes and farm, for example). I have also a suggestion for Swiss: since Switzerland is a multilingual nation from long time, what do you think about making them speaking different languages? The musketeer could speak French with Swiss accent (I'm up for that!), the reislaufer would still speak Swiss German, the halberdier would speak Romansh and the Swiss guard would speak Italian for instance. Even the followers, despite being women, could randomly speak German or Romansh (I know how to pronounce this language and even know what words to say).Eventually, last thing, frontiersmen (and even American settlers maybe) could speak with an American voice. There must be some Yankees on this site, so why not asking them to record a new voice for American villagers? They would say 'lumberjack', 'trader', 'forager', etc. That would be cool, no?

That'd be cool indeed! Pack them and send it, I'll check them on quality and suitability! Wink Please don't forget to add the sources though (games or voice actors), so I can credit them for it. We've had only two good Swedish voice actors so far, I'm happy with the voices though. They're speaken by native Swedes and there can be found truly worse voice sets than the Swedish one.

I've already been looking to add more speaker diversity for the Poles. We had quite some people recording voices for them.

That Swiss have German voices yet and you find Russian elements sometimes in the Polish civ is given the circumstance that they're placeholders for something that hasn't been produced yet. I'm aware of these issues though. I started a while ago with creating texts for Prussians to make them sound different from the other Germans. I'd like the same for Swiss as well and I agree on adding Italian and French influences or even strictly using other languages as well. If you're fit in Romansh - and your probable French accent would luckily be no disadvantage here - then you're invited to record a few voices!

American voices can be taken from Campaign units, but I'd be glad indeed if some dudes from the States would be ready to add some diversity. Apart from that, I can imagine for Americans in particular, to allow English with strong accents. So, let's say British English can be in too next to English with a strong German, French, Italian accent. Smile

Quote:
Well, I've finally ended this long long post. Please, tell me what you think about my AI, suggestions and issues, and feel free to give me ideas to improve this AI, it's not a big problem for me Smile And take your time to read this post, I'm not in a hurry Wink Thanks again for the work you did, and good luck!

Lots of thanks for your impressive post and hope to see you around soon!

Smorley_7 wrote:
You sound like someone would be great for ne. There is actually a fan mod at Age of Empires 3 Heaven that has bug fixes for NE. When I used it the Polish aged up and fought like a normal ai (as well as all the other new civs too). So you can look at the data on that to help you.

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=3139&f=2
I agree! I would appreciate it if someone like Fr Steve would help NE getting a good AI. Especially since the old scripter hasn't reported back since quite some months. So, Fr Steve, if you like to join the NE team, I have nothing against it and I'll be glad to introduce you to the new internal built. Given the fact of course, that you want that too and have the stamina. Wink

caveman909
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject:

If your talking about AI problems, could you make them build walls too?
That would be an awesome modification i think.
(Im swiss, i could help with the swiss voices if u want...if needed Smile )
Best regards,
Fr Steve
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Do you want to share your (complete?) French translation of NE 2.01 with us and the rest of the world?

I'd like but it's not complete yet. Actually, it's the finished translation of the version released 2 or 3 years ago! Thus, I have to add all new strings you added since then. I already began, but there's again work. But don't worry, once it'll be done, I'll publish it with pleasure Smile

Quote:
How does the politician work in detail?

I put a spoiler too:
Spoiler:

You mean in AI? Well, somewhere in the aiMain.xs file, all AOEIII politicians are written, and are chosen by AI depending on his current way of playing: if he's offensive, he'll choose the marksman; if he's defensive, the governor; if he's boomer, the bishop, etc. Then, I just had to guess if NE politicians suited for a rusher/boom/defensive/offensive strategy.

Quote:
would need to ensure they're also using its functionality, which will be different in the next release.

This should be possible, although AI actually trains units and research techs as it sees fit. I think it depends on what it wants (if it's cavalry oriented, it'll try to train AbstractCavalry units and will research techs improving cavalry).

Quote:
Villager functionality is important, Merchant and Architect will be varied, but if someone made alternative villagers already work, then that's a good thing.

Will the Italians keep on using merchants & architects as in previous versions? I don't remember if you said in a modding report it would change. If so, then how will Italian villagers work precisely?

Quote:
but hunting is a strategically important eco setup for all civs, just as basic age up procedure. It shouldn't be avoided on purpose.

Confused Don't tell me you forgot Poles are unable to hunt until a Homecity card is shiped! Because it's what I adapted in AI: before, settlers snuggled up wild animals without being able to kill them, until Royal Hunting Grounds was sent. Now, they leave them alone until this card is shiped. And then, they hunt!

Quote:
The mine laming won't be found in the Swedish civ in the next release.

So mine wagons and explorer's power to build mines will disappear?

Quote:
A workaround may be to give Miners the ability to chop wood and do the other things

Indeed, it would work, but it would just add an additional villager. I'd rather, like I suggested, make him an artillery unit like the grenadier, but able to gather coins. For AI, it'd just be a military unit though (at least, I think it wouldn't use it to gather coin, but maybe I'm wrong).

Quote:
So Polish will get the regular age up back

AH! Very good news! Mr. Green

Quote:
Pack them and send it, I'll check them on quality and suitability!

Great! Thank you! I'll try to send them tomorrow or this weekend. I'll provide you a maximum of voices so that you have a large range of choice. Wink And yes, I'll add sources.

Quote:
So, let's say British English can be in too next to English with a strong German, French, Italian accent

So, does this mean you'd like an American unit speaking English with a French accent? If so, I'm up!

Quote:
if you like to join the NE team, I have nothing against it and I'll be glad to introduce you to the new internal built.

Well, why not? I may however be absent some times, since I'm a student at uni, but don't worry, I often find free time, and currently, I have Mr. Green So okay to join your team!

caveman909 wrote:
]If your talking about AI problems, could you make them build walls too?

Well, I fear it could ruin the game, like in AOEII. You know, AI doesn't really know how to build walls correctly. But that may be worth a try... Wink

Quote:
Im swiss, i could help with the swiss voices if u want...if needed

Very good! What languages are you able to speak?
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Fr Steve wrote:

I'd like but it's not complete yet. Actually, it's the finished translation of the version released 2 or 3 years ago! Thus, I have to add all new strings you added since then. I already began, but there's again work. But don't worry, once it'll be done, I'll publish it with pleasure Smile

No problem, it doesn't have any priority right now. Don't load yourself with unnecessary work.

Spoiler:

Quote:
You mean in AI? Well, somewhere in the aiMain.xs file, all AOEIII politicians are written, and are chosen by AI depending on his current way of playing: if he's offensive, he'll choose the marksman; if he's defensive, the governor; if he's boomer, the bishop, etc. Then, I just had to guess if NE politicians suited for a rusher/boom/defensive/offensive strategy.

Aaah okay, that means they are chosen after civ config section inside the aiMain.xs! Good to know Smile

Quote:
Quote:
would need to ensure they're also using its functionality, which will be different in the next release.

This should be possible, although AI actually trains units and research techs as it sees fit. I think it depends on what it wants (if it's cavalry oriented, it'll try to train AbstractCavalry units and will research techs improving cavalry).

Well, have you read the latest reports and that the Reichstag will be offering Banner armies? They consist of different units indeed, so I guess it'll be exciting to see what the AI will actually do and not do. Mr. Green

Quote:
Will the Italians keep on using merchants & architects as in previous versions? I don't remember if you said in a modding report it would change. If so, then how will Italian villagers work precisely?

Not in the same way as they do in 2.01, the change for Merchants and Architects is in Report #18. There is no detailed concept yet, but there'll be standard villagers again. Merchants and Architects will fulfill additional and specialized functions. For example, Architects are meant to build very important buildings such as Forts, University, Town Center and so on (requiring they're buildable in fact which isn't affirmed either yet), whereas the role of Merchants is less defined yet, except their dedication for making money and such. Wink

Quote:
Quote:
but hunting is a strategically important eco setup for all civs, just as basic age up procedure. It shouldn't be avoided on purpose.

Confused Don't tell me you forgot Poles are unable to hunt until a Homecity card is shiped! Because it's what I adapted in AI: before, settlers snuggled up wild animals without being able to kill them, until Royal Hunting Grounds was sent. Now, they leave them alone until this card is shiped. And then, they hunt!

Hehe, sorry, but yes. And I'll tell you why: 1) I didn't make the Polish civ and I was never responsible for it, 2) It's very very long ago since I played with them, 3) I'm the so far last generation of NE teams and I'm here, because I personally disliked how many things were done until 2.01. I guess that Poles can't age up normally and now that Poles can't hunt (which just makes a huge unnecessary disadvantage in early game, which is balance-wise the most important part of every match). So, no, I didn't remember that. But thanks for telling. Really, I'm serious, I'm thankful for all the hints that point out weaknesses of the former design team, so that I can fix them. Smile

Quote:
So mine wagons and explorer's power to build mines will disappear?

Not necessarily, but it'll drastically be nerfed at least.

Quote:
Quote:
A workaround may be to give Miners the ability to chop wood and do the other things

Indeed, it would work, but it would just add an additional villager. I'd rather, like I suggested, make him an artillery unit like the grenadier, but able to gather coins. For AI, it'd just be a military unit though (at least, I think it wouldn't use it to gather coin, but maybe I'm wrong).

Yes, these are two ways. Either the AI uses it as villager and (hopefully) prefers the best gather rate or it just uses it as military unit. But I guess I'd rather do the first thing.

Quote:
Quote:
So, let's say British English can be in too next to English with a strong German, French, Italian accent

So, does this mean you'd like an American unit speaking English with a French accent? If so, I'm up!

Exactly, cause the States have been shaped by all kinds of immigrants from all over the world, mostly Europe.[/quote]

Quote:
Quote:
If you like to join the NE team, I have nothing against it and I'll be glad to introduce you to the new internal built.

Well, why not? I may however be absent some times, since I'm a student at uni, but don't worry, I often find free time, and currently, I have Mr. Green So okay to join your team!

Very cool! Parfait! Mr. Green We also have another French in team (Yomgui) and we're all students, so we all know these times of absence. But let's talk about that somewhere else. I hope you have either MSN or Skype. Please add me, so we can have a chat on how to proceed! Wink

Quote:
(Im swiss, i could help with the swiss voices if u want...if needed )
Best regards,

That'd be awesome! Too bad there isn't any good situation to say something iconic as "Chuchischächtli" Mr. Green I recommend you to do the same thing that I recommened to Steve, contact me somewhere. PM, MSN, Skype, whatever (I have it all), so we can work out the actual texts. You know that your record device is good enough?

caveman909
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject:

LOL yeah, Chuchischächtli won't be that appropriate i fear lol

But just in case: im not a "real" Swiss german, im from the French part but i can imitate the swiss german accent pretty well (after all, i'm Swiss) ^^

For Steve: i can speak English, French, German and like i said, a bit of swiss german...
Fr Steve
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject:

Quote:
have you read the latest reports and that the Reichstag will be offering Banner armies?

Yep, that's why I wonder how will AI work with them. I don't remember having seen the Chinese armies appear in AImain, so I guess Germans will train their new armies correctly Smile

Quote:
I guess that Poles can't age up normally and now that Poles can't hunt (which just makes a huge unnecessary disadvantage in early game, which is balance-wise the most important part of every match).

Well, for ages I agree it's not really useful, and bad for AI, but for hunting restriction, I think it's not that bad: it gives more diversity to new civs, and having played numerous games with Polish, I can tell you they manage to reach Colonial age before other players rather often. Anyway, they have a card that allow them to hunt, and thanks to my AI now, they use this card and do hunt later.

Quote:
Exactly, cause the States have been shaped by all kinds of immigrants from all over the world, mostly Europe

Okay, so I'll record a Frenchie yankee! Mr. Green

Quote:
I hope you have either MSN or Skype.

I unfortunately have none of them. Wouldn't you prefer email or MPs (if it's possible on this website)? MSN is not really a software I enjoy, but if you prefer it, I may try to download it.

caveman909 wrote:
i can speak English, French, German and like i said, a bit of swiss german...

Then, you could do both another Swiss unit speaking French (like I plan to do too) and one or two units speaking Swiss German. I think the Swiss explorer should be a priority, since he must say more things than other units (wounded, ransom, reviving...). But I let Tilanus decide it Mr. Green
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Fr Steve wrote:

I unfortunately have none of them. Wouldn't you prefer email or MPs (if it's possible on this website)? MSN is not really a software I enjoy, but if you prefer it, I may try to download it.

Then better go with Skype. Wink It's not that "annoying" and I tend to be rather online in Skype than in MSN.

Quote:
caveman909 wrote:
i can speak English, French, German and like i said, a bit of swiss german...

Then, you could do both another Swiss unit speaking French (like I plan to do too) and one or two units speaking Swiss German. I think the Swiss explorer should be a priority, since he must say more things than other units (wounded, ransom, reviving...). But I let Tilanus decide it Mr. Green

Ha, that answers the question in my PM then. Mr. Green

The French influences are great, because I also planned to show them in the shape of units like the Cent-Suisse (I know they're a home guard, but the Swiss Guard is too). After the divorce from the Holy Roman Empire, the Swiss had lots of connections with France and that will especially in their Revolution (Helvetian Republic) and later ages become very obvious.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8