Computers
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70  Next

Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
President Washington
Saxon Cavalry
Saxon Cavalry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Computers

I want a laptop. Which one should I get? I prefer Macs, as they're better and cheaper, but I know PCs have a lot more games, especially the games I want to play. disgust

Spoiler:

For a while, my mom was going to fix the main computer, but she's one of those people who'll claim that till the day she dies and it will still never be done, nothing ever gets done. disgust I want my own laptop because I'm tired of waiting for her to fix our old piece of shit.

sufjanfan
Gatling Gun
Gatling Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject:

In my opinion, buying a Mac is one of the worst choices you can make. They are not cheaper; they're very expensive. I'm currently typing this from a linux computer, which I believe is the best operating system around. You can even run most PC games on it.
If you don't trust it, the best I can say is PC, but they degrade heavily over time.
The Dude
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject:

I would recommend PC. As suf pointed out, Macs are very expensive and most software and games don't work on them. To be honest, they're only good for photographers.

Not sure about Linux, but if you want something for gaming get a PC. But know what you're picking out, and don't get some shitty ass bullshit one. I would recommend Acer, they're fast, good for games, and reliable. But if you really want something for games(and you have the money), get the overly overpriced Alienware. It's graphics exceed console and it's just plain badass. Although that is if you have over three thousand USD.

-Julius Caesar

Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject:

well If gameing is your priority you should by no means buy a Mac. especially as you have to pay a lot for the brand and their "design".

I'd go with good ole PC. Linux may in theory be the best operating system but tbh I only see lvl 60 nerds with linux who don't game they just ... I never really found out what they did with their machine.
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject:

The thing with Macs is that you can only ever run MacOS on them, while PCs can have just about everything on them. If you decide you don't like Windows, just install some random Linux distribution. Also they're waaaaay cheaper than Macs, and if you spec it yourself a PC doesn't have to be worse than a Mac in the graphics department. Just put a good graphics card in, instead of those 18th century relics that all manufacturers choose for you.

Oh no you can't, 'cause you want a laptop. W? H? Y? Laptops are in every case worse than normal PCs, except they're mobile. But in the Netherlands (I don't know how prices compare in the States) you're cheaper off if you buy a proper desktop for at home and a small netbook for when you're away. This way you can always have your computer with you, but still have a decent system at home that didn't cost you two kidneys and a gallon of blood.

peugeot407

Losinal
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject:

I've had both Macs and PCs, and let me say I'm enjoying my Mac a lot more than the PCs I've had. It's true, there are not many games for them, and yes they are expensive (Government paid for mine Mr. Green)

But the world is opening up the markets for Mac, more games are being made that are compatible for Macs. Blizzard is doing this, making Starcraft 2, and Diablo III available for Macs. I think just give it a little time, and Macs will be equal to PCs in games, software, etc..

President Washington
Saxon Cavalry
Saxon Cavalry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject:

The difference is that ALL Macs are elite; compared to elite PCs, they're cheaper.
sufjanfan
Gatling Gun
Gatling Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject:

Not all Macs are elite; I've had some issues with Macs at school and my sister's Macbook. Take a look at some price comparisons.
Ca Putt wrote:
I'd go with good ole PC. Linux may in theory be the best operating system but tbh I only see lvl 60 nerds with linux who don't game they just ... I never really found out what they did with their machine.

That's a pretty typical stereotype. The GUI is better than Windows on a bunch of distributions, so I don't really see why it's only usable by hackers. I also managed to get the Windows version of AoE3 working (on a very small amount of memory, too), so it's not that limited game-wise.

If you choose PC/Linux, I don't know all that much about the actual hardware. My experiences weren't very good with Acer, but don't take my word for it if someone says otherwise.
fendre
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject:

I have a laptop, and I have no problem running AoE3
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The difference is that ALL Macs are elite; compared to elite PCs, they're cheaper.
that's just half true, all Macs have fairly similar specs which are higher than the average PC BUT PCs with the same specs as the Macs are much cheaper and there are also PCs which have far better specs than the most expensive Macs and consequently are more expensive.

Quote:

That's a pretty typical stereotype. The GUI is better than Windows on a bunch of distributions, so I don't really see why it's only usable by hackers. I also managed to get the Windows version of AoE3 working (on a very small amount of memory, too), so it's not that limited game-wise.
Yeah, if you look at it Linux clearly IS better and today even the average windows user could operate a Linux computer. The point about Linux is that there always is a way around(which I really like). But from what I've seen all Linux users(i know) as I said mainly make graphics with Gimp, compose stuff or write really strange progs. likewise most Mac users stop actually doing anything with their machine and just marvel at it and boast about how cool it is(or in other words what they could do if it wasn't a mac Mr. Green ). When I buy a computer for gameing I want to run games on it and not some fancy open source proggies or ... a big bulky Screen-puter. when I buy a new laptop I may get a linux one, but not for my game rig.
sufjanfan
Gatling Gun
Gatling Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Choose the operating system for the features, not the users. Rolling Eyes
You can run almost all Windows games on Linux. It's as simple as that. Here's a list of the most popular Windows programs that work with Wine.
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject:

I do think Linux is better in a number of ways, but the UI clearly isn't part of it. Admitted, KDE is okay, but Gnome is pretty hopeless, especially compared to Windows 7's UI. Windows 8 should get better still.

peugeot407

sufjanfan
Gatling Gun
Gatling Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject:

What's wrong with Gnome?
I've never used KDE - apparently it's pretty heavy on your system.
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject:

I suppose it is, but at least it looks decent and works in a sensible and straightforward way, just like the core Windows UI.

peugeot407

PS: Bear in mind I talked about the core UI. I know some Microsoft programs have UIs that are so incomprehensible that you can hardly do anything with them, but the core bit (everything under explorer.exe) is surprisingly straightforward.

sufjanfan
Gatling Gun
Gatling Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject:

That's true.

Anyway, we can at least agree that a Mac is probably not a very good option.
Losinal
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject:

I disagree, my Mac has served me better than my past 6 PC's. If you haven't tried a Mac for more than a day, you should see that it's just as good of a choice like PCs. But as I said before, wait a couple of years, games and software will be created for both PCs AND Macs.

Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 1 of 70