Rextured/Redone Unit Compendium (I need help!)
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Forum Index -> Mods & Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaintElysse
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Rextured/Redone Unit Compendium (I need help!)

I have been modifying with various anim and tga files to create riflemen, Life Guards, and cuirassiers based on their Waterloo counterparts. Unfortunately, they are not...seamless. I have three issues:

I have been using fixed colors, omitting the transparent alpha channel team color nonsense.

Rifleman (1st image): There is a little red object jutting from the right side; I used the Jaeger texture (don't ask why, I have no idea why I did), and tried to masquerade it's hat as a sort of feather. The only remaining trace of the team color is the Cassador backpack I've added.

Life Guard (2nd image): Used the Cuirassier and Chevauxleger as a template, with a modified Col. Edwardson Horse. The pants of the unit 'bulge' at the sides, because of the model. I have been thinking of using the skirmisher's model as a replacement, but I do not know if that will work.

Cuirassier (3nd image): Age IV texture has been combined with the unused Age I armor. I've added a few decals, and the swashbuckler's sword in lieu of a broadsword. I want to add the plumage only from the dragoon's helmet to complete it, but have no idea of how to do so. I want to change the horse to remove the team colors as well.

Spoiler:

Any ideas how to improve?

Also, I'd request some hat attachments, if anyone can do/know of them.

Thanks!
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Could you provide a larger image? I can barely see anything and also don't really know what your problem with 1 and 2 is.

Concerning the cuirassier: In classical modding you would simply try to transport your texture to a dragoon. In modern aoe3 modding you'd try to get a good rider base and add a new, imported helmet from anywhere.

From what I can see: These textures look nice so far, are you doing/have you done more units? I'd be interested in having a look at them. If they/you are good, I could also offer you a place in the NE Team as there'll be a lot of redesign.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
SaintElysse
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject:

My issues:

Actually, I just happen to have another set of three units. I play with a heavily modified version of NE. This includes the home city.

Mounted Met Officer (1st column): I've taken an uhlan and modified its texture to loosely base it off actual London police. I doubt an actual mounted police existed in 1815...This is purely aesthetic and is exclusive to my British HC. Without a sort of officer's hat, I was limited to the czapka.

Continental Marine (2nd column): I've changed the veteran marine texture to it's real life green with red button lining. I've put these strolling around my American homecity.

I've incorporated the green skin to actually replace the existing Veteran one. I have yet to remove/modify the original Washington yellow lining from it's hat (the HC marine and the actual marine are not consistent)

Gendarme (3rd column): Changed the policeman's texture, and added this to my French homecity to stroll around with some Chasseurs (and the existing policeman). I could not find a kepi to attach to the policeman. I also doubt attachments are usable on HC units. Because of the screwy, funky way the policeman's hat is modeled, the hat is not seamless.

I've also added some Swiss guards to 'guard' my Spanish homecity (Italian HC is kinda whack to work with), although they're just marching around with pikes and halberds, so no real change.

I've also barely scratched the surface on modifying the homecity, but it's totally out of my league.

I'm going to start a small personal project revamping the French units, and maybe some other ones because they don't have an existing Imperial Age model+skin (can't do models, sadly).
I was thinking of revamping the Chasseur, Skirmisher, Musketeer, and Tirailleur specifically to match their real life counterparts, although they'd all be akin to the Grognard/Old Guard. (Only difference would be hat color and various lining).

I like the idea of helping NE, but my modding has been strictly personal.
I'll help NE only if you guys pay...nawh kidding.

In all seriousness, I cannot be a team member on a regular basis (tied up with work and writing). However, if you guys like my work, I can gladly contribute skins on the occasion; modding my NE is something I like doing.
In fact, if you want the stuff I've used above, go ahead and use/modify/distort it.
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Mounted Met Officer. Bloody hell, that's funny... Mr. Green Mr. Green

As for your texturing troubles: All can be solved by using different unit models as a base. I know this'll be a bit of a faff now they're all done, but I suggest using the Skirmisher for the first unit, the Rifle Rider for the second and the actual Dragoon for the final one. The Skirmisher and Rifle Rider models are nice and simple without too many details on them. The Rifle Rider does have two bits of hair coming down from his face, but they're easily textured in such a way that they're hardly visible.

peugeot407

SaintElysse
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodore asked for more units; he's got em. I've redone all the textures of the French infantry, so that they matched their real counterparts. I haven't matched them entirely to their proper campaign and/or parade uniforms to add some variety while maintaining real elements. Like my other units, I've directly implemented these in game in some way or form.

All of the infantry used colored shakos to distinguish their type. I have replicated this. All have a basis of the blue-blue/blue-white habit veste. All shakos have been done over the template of the pre-existing Chasseur one.

Tirailleur: George Washington for base, and uses the Coureur "Milice" rifle (I've taken a liking to it-I found it hidden in the .bar file). Distinguishable by knee high boots, red epaulettes and red shako lining. Upgrades with Voltigeurs tech (untouched from NE). My personal favorite.

Voltigeur: George Washington for base, and uses the Janissary rifle. Distinguishable by ankle-high boots (visually), one crossbelt (I changed this after screenshots were taken) yellow epaulettes and yellow shako lining. Upgrades with Imperial Voltigeurs tech.

Chasseur: Skirmisher for base (good advice peugeot!), and uses the Musketeer's musket. Distinguishable by blue breeches, above-ankle high boots, green epaulettes and green shako lining. Upgrades with separate Imperial Musketeers tech.

This 'Chasseur' serves as lighter line infantry in contrast to the Fusilier.

Fusilier: Musketeer for base, and uses the Minuteman musket (examples use French explorers musket, as shown below). Distinguishable by above-knee high boots, white-grey epaulettes and grey shako lining. Upgrades with separate Imperial Fusiliers tech.

Grognard: No change from original, except revamped body texture and usage of Highlander musket.

Carabinier: Clone of aforementioned Grognard, distinguishable by red-green epaulettes, and a shorter 'bearskin' (used Ottoman explorer's hat; no other hats that suited it, in my opinion)...or afro from some angles.

This Carabinier serves as lighter heavy infantry in contrast to the Grognard; it replaces the greatcoat toting Chasseur.

Left to right: Chasseur, Tirailleur, Fusilier, Voltigeur, Carabinier, Grognard.
Spoiler:

Right to left: Grognard, Carabinier, Voltigeur, Fusilier, Tirailleur, Chasseur.
Spoiler:

Unit Display:
Spoiler:

Action Shot:
Spoiler:

The Dude
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Ohh nice! Mr. Green

-Julius Caesar

SaintElysse
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to revamp the Prussian army next. I might substitute the Teutonic Knight for a Jäger type unit.

I hope the final NE adds new unit appearances for Imperial upgrades; especially if they're Royal Guard Units!
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject:

What a selfish me would say it this point is:

peugeot407

The Dude
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 lol lol lol lol

-Julius Caesar

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject:

I say: Don't trust a knight without eyes. Devil

Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject:

hehe gotta love uncle sam references.
Losinal
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject:

That wanting poster got me crackling up like this philosophical pun.

Descartes walks into a bar, and the bartender asks, "Will you have a beer?" Descartes answers, "I think not!" POOF, he disappears.

SaintElysse
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject:

Before I begin, I would like to kindly ask if someone could make these hats, particularly the one on the right, if I want to make the Prussian units accurate to the 'Waterloo' timeframe for my project:

Spoiler:

If a modeler could do these hats (Yomgui or arcalion, perhaps), I would be beyond grateful.

Now for my Prussian units.

I am not to eager about these, because they're just revamps, minus the first unit. I would have kept happy with the original Schütze, but no. It was slightly harder to find uniforms that varied from each other...

Again, all units use the same shako because of the lack of closer, more appropriate substitutes in game. Only one shako has been changed.

Jäger-Garde: Minuteman for base, and uses the Coureur "Milice" rifle. Distinguishable by dark green vest, and melon green pants with red piping.

Grenadier-Garde/Fußgarde: Miner for base. Distinguishable by dark-blue vest, white trousers covering boots, along with a black pouch with a gold star, (this signifies it's position as a Foot Guard; I might make it smaller). Has a small tint of aqua to distinguish it from French infantry. No change in rifle or shako from original Schütze. Upgrades with Schloßgarde-Kompagnie tech.

Musketier: Miner for base. Distinguishable by dark-blue vest, and grey trousers with red piping covering boots. Has a small tint of aqua to distinguish it from French infantry. No change in rifle or shako from original Schütze. Upgrades with civilization-specific Imperial Fusiliers tech.

Unit Display: Jäger-Garde, Grenadier-Garde/Fußgarde, Musketier
Spoiler:

Action Shots:
Spoiler:

I will probably do British and/or Russian units next. If I do British units, I will quite possibly redo my original Redcoat and Life Guard.

I may also decide to change the models of the Grenadier-Garde/Fußgarde and Musketier, because the trousers are sort of...baggy (the miner model is to blame).

Please, I would like some critique and constructive criticism!
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject:

Wow, how long did it take you make these?! Even though the unit pattern is pretty simple for most Napoleonic units, you seem to be rather fast and eager about correct unit names. Like I do. Mr. Green

I wondered if the Jäger-Garde is a skirmisher and the Grenadier-Garde still a grenadier?

Your units are all from the Napoleonic era, right? I'm convinced you're using correct drafts (Knötel I guess), do you vary them to some extent?

I can offer you to improve NE with your units. I'm open-minded for new units or unit modification suggestions in particular. If you got any, please tell me! For example the French units should be validated by someone with some extended knowledge about them and I assume you know quite a lot (as they're rather detailed). In return you'll be credited and provided with new, badly needed models to improve your units. Does that sound like a good deal?

However, I can offer you a cool charleville musket. Cool

I got three tips for making unit screenshots:
  1. Put them into light and don't turn their back on them.
  2. Use the test light setting (IGC something.. ), it's the setting that does not provoke any light reflections and makes a more clear view on your units possible.
  3. don't save them as JPEG files, the quality is shit and it's hard to analyze all the details of your units, use PNG instead.

From what I can tell these units look well done, however, I'm really no expert with Napoleonic uniforms. The Miner trousers are quite bad for your units,that's right, I wondered why you even used it? Smile

Alexastor
NE Royal Pioneer
NE Royal Pioneer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Nice work! However, I don't think the high model horse is actually going to work ingame.
SaintElysse
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Tilanus, I'll reply to you later when I start my work again, some folks came over to my place to rework some electrics (couldnt use computer for a while)

Kastor, whatcha mean? I know it seems odd that some of my units are using Col. Edwardson's horse, but it does work in game. I think I was actually lucky to get a normal rider to mount on the IGC horse. Here:

Spoiler:

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4