0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 42

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject:

It sells.

I mean, even people who don't like it become hysterical and starts talking about it. It's a feasible marketing strategy.

Also, lets not pretend there isn't any objectification of men or confirmation of all sorts of stereotypes going on.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject:

My Christmas song recommendation for the year. I will not bother translating, but it's called "Santa is a communist" - indeed he does look a bit like Karl Marx Mr. Green

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB8-wku_lFM

Wojtek
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject:

A very weird song, indeed. Why would anyone associate Santa Claus with communists? lol Maybe it's because Santa Claus treats everyone equally and distributes presents and communists ensure that there's an equal share of...misery Confused
A Polish song I might have provided a link to last year around Christmas I think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE443VYZ2xA

If you want a translation, here's a link:
http://www.tekstowo.pl/piosenka,kayah,ding_dong_.html
Click: 'Pokaż tłumaczenie' to show the English translation.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Why would anyone associate Santa Claus with communists? Maybe it's because Santa Claus treats everyone equally and distributes presents
Something along those lines, yes ^^

Quote:
A Polish song I might have provided a link to last year around Christmas I think:
Ding dong indeed. Very Polish. A Swedish song I came to think of containing the same words... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPrnduGtgmc

But to be a bit more seasonal: Tomorrow, the 13th of December, is Lucia. In Sweden it is sort of a weird mix between pagan tradition and the celebration of a Sicilian saint (I'm sure I've said it before, but reminders don't hurt). A singing procession is paramount to the practising of this tradition; so here is a short example (a bit convoluted because it has got celebrities in it, but no one will watch it for long enough for them to show up).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLycexat2xk

I've always thought the entry song is quite beautiful, actually. There is something special about hearing it early a cold and dark winter morning, in a cosy environment with lit candles and all.

I've also got a bit of a funny story related to this. Apparently a group of exile Swedes in New York got arrested by the police and were brought to the station, because their procession was mistaken for some Klu Klux Klan racist manifestation (look at the hats the men are wearing). lol

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject:

I realised something. I've heard Christmas carols from many corners of the world, songs people would associate with Christmas.

But what about the other seasons? What about the spring we currently are enjoying in the northern hemisphere? What about summer? Autumn? I'm curious.

This is therefore an open invitation for anyone to post some songs, preferably but not necessarily native to their homeland, that they associate with any season apart from winter. It could be something generally considered to be i.e. a summer song in the country generally, or something that puts you in the mood personally. Why does it put you in a seasonal mood, and what is it about?

Hoop Thrower
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Screw you, I'm gonna keep posting Christmas songs...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ3HKWNbv48

You did know that Christmas 'round here is in Summer, right? Mr. Green

Quote:
Work hard? No, it is a game rather than a work; interesting rather than hard.

Visit Wotta!
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject:

That was... odd lol

Yes, I did, otherwise I wouldn't have pointed out that spring is upon us in the northern atmosphere.

I wonder though; does this make you think of summer and ice cream? Somehow I feel that the western (north-western that is) media pressure is so strong that even people who don't have it should associate Christmas with snow and winter.

I don't know what puts me in a spring mode, or what songs I associate with spring really. I suppose the ones you sing on Walpurgis' night .

Summer on the other hand... I would have to say mostly children's songs. Like, from Pippi Longstocking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CILuAzZABFI

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Vintern rasat ut från våra fjällar maybe? Does it for me.
ACNtrooper
Swiss Guard
Swiss Guard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject:

SAOL wrote:

Yes, I did, otherwise I wouldn't have pointed out that spring is upon us in the northern atmosphere.

Northern atmosphere? Sure, I love to see how flowers blossom in clouds floating over Europe lol
Hoop Thrower
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject:

SAOL wrote:
That was... odd lol

I wonder though; does this make you think of summer and ice cream? Somehow I feel that the western (north-western that is) media pressure is so strong that even people who don't have it should associate Christmas with snow and winter.

I don't know what puts me in a spring mode, or what songs I associate with spring really. I suppose the ones you sing on Walpurgis' night .

Summer on the other hand... I would have to say mostly children's songs. Like, from Pippi Longstocking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CILuAzZABFI

Western Media pressure is high indeed, that song actually parodies that, the fact that most songs talk about snowy nights, high calory food and those stuffy suits... which are totally contradictory with our actual conditions of celebrating Christmas in summer. Topmodel

So yeah, most Christmas songs even around here talk about the snowy, cold wintery nights of Christmas with the Pine trees and all those ridiculous stereotypes of Christmas that don't have anything to do with how things actually look around here. Christmas songs are still very christian around here, as catholicism is (mostly) still strong around the spanish speaking world.

There's only one song that fully encompases the meaning of Spring to me... ok not really, but it was the first thing to come to my mind. It's autumn around here anyways, so I guess I'm not in a mood to come up with an actual imaginative suggestion.[/url]

Quote:

Visit Wotta!
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject:

It also came to me that on the last day of school every year, more or less all Swedish school children are forced to sing a few songs, pretty much always the same ones. Does this exist elsewhere? If so, what do you sing?

ACNtrooper wrote:
SAOL wrote:

Northern atmosphere? Sure, I love to see how flowers blossom in clouds floating over Europe lol
Autocorrect has it's own little problems Rolling Eyes

Hoop wrote:
There's only one song that fully encompases the meaning of Spring to me... ok not really, but it was the first thing to come to my mind. It's autumn around here anyways, so I guess I'm not in a mood to come up with an actual imaginative suggestion.[/
I didn't think of it at all. I dunno, I would sooner associate it with the olden days in general than spring specifically.

Post something autumn-y, then. ^^

Quote:
So yeah, most Christmas songs even around here talk about the snowy, cold wintery nights of Christmas
Doesn't that feel a bit strange? Or is it simply something you get used to when you grow up with it, just like most other things?

Harkimo wrote:
Vintern rasat ut från våra fjällar maybe? Does it for me.
[Link]Of course, of course. Choral music, which I usually like, in general feels kind of strongly associated with spring. We have quite a lot of choral classics in Sweden.

ACNtrooper
Swiss Guard
Swiss Guard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject:

SAOL wrote:
It also came to me that on the last day of school every year, more or less all Swedish school children are forced to sing a few songs, pretty much always the same ones. Does this exist elsewhere? If so, what do you sing?

No, never heard about it.

Quote:
So yeah, most Christmas songs even around here talk about the snowy, cold wintery nights of Christmas
Doesn't that feel a bit strange? Or is it simply something you get used to when you grow up with it, just like most other things?

[/quote]

I live in Colombia, when there's only snow in peaks over 4500 meters over sea level. But anyway, when I heard "Christmas environment" there's only one thing I think: "snow"
Hoop Thrower
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject:

No obligatory singing around here either, we do have school anthems, which I'm not sure if it's common to every country.

As for autumny music, I believe this fits; grey, melancholic, even sad and no coincidence, as the Earthquake did actually happen on autumn, which is what this song is talking about.
And by Earthquake, of course I mean THE earthquake...

Quote:

Visit Wotta!
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject:

ACN wrote:
I live in Colombia, when there's only snow in peaks over 4500 meters over sea level. But anyway, when I heard "Christmas environment" there's only one thing I think: "snow"
Yeah, that's pretty strange, I mean, that you make that association. It shows the power of the media, I suppose, because the Spanish don't have a lot of reason to think about snow either. It shouldn't have come that way.

Quote:
No obligatory singing around here either, we do have school anthems, which I'm not sure if it's common to every country.
I don't think school anthems are common here at all. There are probably some schools that have one, but it's certainly not common.

There is one song in particular that is always sang on the last day of school, pretty much wherever you go in the country, and as far as I know also in the Swedish speaking parts of Finland. It's a psalm; [I]den blomstertid nu kommer[/] "the flower-time is coming". Rather befitting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnE0jrbji0A

Quote:
As for autumny music, I believe this fits; grey, melancholic, even sad and no coincidence, as the Earthquake did actually happen on autumn, which is what this song is talking about.
Melancholic indeed ^^ Personally though I think the early part of autumn is a quite beautiful time of year, with all the colours of the trees. It's not depressing at all.

Hoop Thrower
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject:

It's all rain and grey skies 'round here, the change from summer to autumn is really abrupt, I guess it's kinda like Britain.

Quote:

Visit Wotta!
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

Yeah, the later part of autumn isn't very peachy. So here's something suitably depressing from one of the most famous Swedish musical films of all time.

"Skies heavy with rain"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J13pvwDlCWo

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 40 of 42