The Music Thread
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 40, 41, 42  Next
 
   Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favourite kind of music?
Classical
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Rock
28%
 28%  [ 12 ]
Pop
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Hip Hop/Rap
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Remixed/Electronic
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Romantic
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Metal
14%
 14%  [ 6 ]
Blues
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jazz
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
R&B
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Reggae
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 42

Author Message
Wojtek
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 579
Location: Wrocław, Poland

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Has anyone watched the 2014 Eurovision song contest today? I watched it because I was curious whether the representation of Poland makes to the finals. I also wanted to see the insane psycho freak representing Austria.

My favorites were:
Poland (of course)
Romania
Finland
Switzerland
Israel

Least favorite:
Lithuania
Slovenia
Macedonia
Malta
Georgia

The rest was neither good nor bad; simply average.

I didn't watch the first semi-final but I'll see the rest of the contestants on Saturday Mr. Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor


Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 23251
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject:

I haven't watched it really. I saw a bit of the first semi-final and thought most of it was rubbish. Yesterday I was slouching on the couch, reading, and had the television tuned in to it without paying much attention.

When Poland came on though I thought "well this is fairly horrific" and put it on mute Devil Hence I have no idea of which songs were good or not. I did make a bet with my brother though - that Hungary (I think it was) would make it into the top five. We'll see how that goes.

Quote:
I also wanted to see the insane psycho freak representing Austria.
I had a feeling you would say something like that...
_________________
Join
WWLLUASCLWPJ
We Who Loathe Long or Unnecessary Abbreviations and Similar Clusters of Letters Without Proper Justification

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Name
Wojtek
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 579
Location: Wrocław, Poland

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject:

SAOL wrote:
When Poland came on though I thought "well this is fairly horrific" and put it on mute
Well what you did was stupid and rude. Muting the TV only because it was Poland Rolling Eyes Although the "washing lady" was a useless addition which didn't really focus my attention, the rest of the show was enjoyable and our representation did all their best and turned out well. At least the ladies were beautiful opposed to the Austrian transvestite behaving like a moron and looking like shit. He should be employed in a circus lol When he opened his mouth and started yelling I had an impression this was a banshee screaming...And the hostess paying special attention to such lame and pathetic person and behaving like an idiot...no comment...almost sitting on his laps and hugging in a seductive manner. It was disgusting...blah...I wonder who and how much paid the hostess for doing this. It was so fake Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor


Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 23251
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Well what you did was stupid and rude. Muting the TV only because it was Poland
I didn't mute it because it was Poland, I muted it because after 30 seconds I didn't like it and was disturbed in the reading I was primarily preoccupied with. It just happened to be Poland, and I didn't take it off mute after it had finished. Why, do you take some personal offense?

Also, don't you think it's a tiny bit hypocritical to call me stupid and rude for muting Poland, before you go on bashing Austria's contribution something awful? And not primarily the music, for starters, but the look of the singer? Come on Rolling Eyes As far as singing goes it was clearly not a bad effort compared to what most competing artists are able to perform, but quite the opposite.

Quote:
I wonder who and how much paid the hostess for doing this.
Nothing over their compensation for the entire show, I can guarantee.

Welcome to Scandinavia.
_________________
Join
WWLLUASCLWPJ
We Who Loathe Long or Unnecessary Abbreviations and Similar Clusters of Letters Without Proper Justification

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Name
Wojtek
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 579
Location: Wrocław, Poland

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject:

I didn't call you stupid but the act of muting the TV. It's different. And a man who dresses like a woman and behaves like an idiot is not normal and shouldn't be promoted or favored by anyone. It's unfair. The shows weren't very good, indeed, but if Eurovision is supposed to promote equality, then nobody deserves special treatment. It was clearly seen how the hostess kept favoring this transvestite and it was disturbing. If he wins (knock knock) I'll be pretty sure it's not because of his talent but the fact that he's a weirdo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant


Joined: 06 Apr 2007
Posts: 3460
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Just now I actually read a facebook comment of a good friend of mine, who is also polish, complaining about just this occurance. Something along the lines of: "how can people prefer this transvestite over beautifull young women?". As I ignored the event once more I naturally refrained from argueing with him.
To stay objective:
Quote:
I'll be pretty sure it's not because of his talent but the fact that he's a weirdo.
Pretty much, but isn't that always the case? Not for the Songcontest but in general. Before anything else it is important be be noticed. You don't win by being good but by being outstanding, If you're not that good however you'll just have to stand out in some other way.
Now I have not seen anything from this years contest, but I've heard from Mr...s ... This Wurst fellow, so obviously sh.. h... it did something right.

In my personal opinion the worsed thing about transvestites is that you don't know what grammatical gender they have. gwaaaaH!

to add some borderline humoristic neighbor tease:
Quote:
insane psycho freak representing Austria.
Sounds like Hitler.
_________________
Imagine not that these four walls contain the Mighty Owl of Thebes. For, gentles all, beauty sits most closely to them it can construe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor


Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 23251
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject:

I'm actually a bit surprised Austria won, but not baffled. I thought the bearded lady thing ultimately would count more against losing points compared to a more "objective" measurement of the song than gaining. At least for most countries. Obviously not.

Either way, while not very interesting it wasn't the worst song. Considering those words are pretty much true for all of the top three contenders... maybe it was fun that Austria won.

Wojtek wrote:
I didn't call you stupid but the act of muting the TV. It's different.
Yeah, that's a very fine distinction you know Rolling Eyes

Quote:
And a man who dresses like a woman and behaves like an idiot is not normal and shouldn't be promoted or favored by anyone. It's unfair. The shows weren't very good, indeed, but if Eurovision is supposed to promote equality, then nobody deserves special treatment.
I think the entire point the performance was trying to make is that people focus too much on how people look...

As far as special treatment go I didn't see much of it. The greenroom interviews are never fair, and can't possibly be because there are too many contestants; there isn't time to talk to everyone. So, either you skip those interviews entirely, or you focus a bit more on the ones that are in some ways more interesting. Look at the press coverage before this event, and you'll see that Austria qualifies.

Besides, there were other people who got the same "special treatment", such as the friends of the Swedish singer being invited to dance on stage. And in the finals, which arguably is the important part, Wurst wasn't featured at all other than during the performance.
_________________
Join
WWLLUASCLWPJ
We Who Loathe Long or Unnecessary Abbreviations and Similar Clusters of Letters Without Proper Justification

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Name
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor


Joined: 10 May 2009
Posts: 7801

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Eh, Eurovision hasn't been about singing since Abba.

But you honestly liked Poland's entry? I just thought it was... sexist.

I liked Iceland's the most, but I will admit that I didn't really watch all of the entries. Austria's looked interesting, but I didn't hear it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant


Joined: 06 Apr 2007
Posts: 3460
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject:

Damn my Internet Connection! Sexist you say? I must see that ;D
_________________
Imagine not that these four walls contain the Mighty Owl of Thebes. For, gentles all, beauty sits most closely to them it can construe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor


Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1734
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject:

Eurovision hasn't been about singing indeed (click!). Mr. Green


peugeot407
_________________
SAOL wrote: "North America, South America, pish posh they're the same.
Spawn of greater nations."





Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor


Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 23251
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Ca Putt wrote:
Damn my Internet Connection! Sexist you say? I must see that ;D
Allegedly the comment from the Polish delegation after having watched the draft cut the producers had made of their number during trials were "more butter and more tits".

And by butter they meant the churning of it. Moving that piston. Up and down. Wink

Harkimo wrote:
Eh, Eurovision hasn't been about singing since Abba.
Considering their clothing I'm not sure it even was back then Mr. Green

I think it's a shame that there are so few songs in the native languages now. It's all so over-the-top. I mean, what's so wrong with this?
http://youtu.be/A5nbOUJeQ7s?t=1m36s
_________________
Join
WWLLUASCLWPJ
We Who Loathe Long or Unnecessary Abbreviations and Similar Clusters of Letters Without Proper Justification

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Name
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor


Joined: 10 May 2009
Posts: 7801

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Everyone is ashamed of their languages these days lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor


Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 23251
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:

Perhaps. I don't know what it is.

The most sad excuse I've heard is "but then the UK would win every time because they get to sing in English".

Sure, some languages may be more beautiful to sing in than others, but not to the extent that it really matters. As far as understanding the lyrics go, it's not exactly a great focus on them anyway (not to mention that a majority of the audience probably isn't good enough at English to follow along anyway).

I feel I want an accordion Confused
_________________
Join
WWLLUASCLWPJ
We Who Loathe Long or Unnecessary Abbreviations and Similar Clusters of Letters Without Proper Justification

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Name
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor


Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1734
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject:

I think it also has to do with the cultural perception of a song's language in the country it comes from. Chances are you'll never hear a song in Dutch on the Eurovision Song Contest, because over here, singing in Dutch is pretty much reserved for those musicians who appeal solely to the lowest common denominator; any self-respecting Dutch singer only ever uses English, and so it's become something of a social divide, where unintelligent people listen to music in Dutch, and intelligent people listen to music in English.


peugeot407
_________________
SAOL wrote: "North America, South America, pish posh they're the same.
Spawn of greater nations."





Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor


Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 23251
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject:

See, that's what I would call a bit silly. And tragic.
_________________
Join
WWLLUASCLWPJ
We Who Loathe Long or Unnecessary Abbreviations and Similar Clusters of Letters Without Proper Justification

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Name
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant


Joined: 06 Apr 2007
Posts: 3460
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject:

hey Saol, I've just stumbled upon some Swedish folk, anything in particular you might want to recommend or advise against?
_________________
Imagine not that these four walls contain the Mighty Owl of Thebes. For, gentles all, beauty sits most closely to them it can construe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 41 of 42

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group | Page design by Tilanus Commodor & michfrm.