Preparing FAQ
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Forum Index -> NE Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Preparing FAQ

In this thread questions that ought to be answered may be suggested.
*edit* I just realised that this maybe belongs in the website feedback section, but that's not of capital importance.

So, a proper FAQ. Finally lol

This is how I'd envision this

The first post should essentially be a list of questions, as the top of a FAQ normally is. The questions should naturally have a macro-structured and be ordered after topic. If you click on a question you are taken to the post displaying the answer to that question >>as such<< . For that reason, each question should have its own post.

Organising it in this way will make finding the answer to a question easy. It will also allow new questions to be added easily. A short standardised explaination on how to find your way about the FAQ can easily be displayed after each answer, as well as a link to take you back to the top.

As I mentioned in the shoutbox, it'd be stickied and locked as to keep out irrelevant posts, which means it must be managed by someone with moderative rights. However, in here questions and answers could be prepared by others, ie. me. All that then has to be done is copying it into the thread and adding one URL.

If you so please I offer my assistance in writing answers, so we can get some volume up and going.

Here follows a list of suggested questions. Questions that have been answered in the FAQ (once it is created) will be marked as such.
Suggested questions Spoiler:

Installation related A

1. Can I combine NE with other modifications?
  2. Can I run NE on a mac? How?
  3. Can I install NE and still play regular TAD?
  4. What are the requirements to install NE?
  5. Which version should I install?
  6. How do I install NE?
  7. What is the hotfix and how do I insatall it?
  8. How do I get rid of NE?
  9. I have problems with my game after uninstalling NE. What can I do?

Functionality and gameplay B

1. Can I play versus my own civilization?
  2. I can't create home cities for all civilisations. What do I do?
  3. Where have my old home cities gone?
  4. I can't load my saved games! What do I do?
  5. The AI doesn't do anything. What can I do?
  6. Why can't I play versus all the old civilications and the new ones?
  7. How do I change which AI opponents I can choose?
  8. What civilizations are there?
  9. How do I find the new random maps?
  10. Why do some units look black/appear to float?
  11. Can I play NE online?

General C

1. Is there a campaign included?
  2. Is there a version in my language?
  3. Is this an official expansion pack?[s]
  4. [s]Do you have an affiliation with Microsoft or Ensamble Studios?
  5. When is it finished?
  6. Can I help?
  7. What is the meaning of life?
  8. I have found a bug or problem. What do I do?
  9. Why is not [civilization] featured?

Nation-specific D
General a

1. I've heard rumours about an Inca and Persian civilisations, but can't find them. Why?

Americans b

1. Why do the textures of the American buildings change?

Polish c

1. Why can't I age up while playing with the Poles?
  2. How can I mount the Partyzant?

The Dude
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Well, here are two questions I see being brought up every now and then regarding the Polish civ.

Spoiler:

Question: Why can't I age up when playing the Poles
Answer: You need to build more hodowlany, one to age up to the second age, two for the third, three for the fourth, and five for the fifth age.1
Question: How do I mount he partyzant?
Answer: Go to options Arrow UI Options and select Show Advanced Formations then when you select the partyzant, he will always have the option to be mounted from the formation screen.

Greet idea, by the way. This should be stickied when completed. Mr. Green

1: Can someone conform this, it's been a while since I last played NE.

-Julius Caesar

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Well, here are two questions I see being brought up every now and then regarding the Polish civ.
I'll add them to the list Smile

Quote:
Greet idea, by the way. This should be stickied when completed.
No. This thread should not be stickied. The FAQ itself must be created in a separate thread from this, and it has to be managed by someone with moderative rights, so that it can remain locked as it expands and free from people asking questions. If there should be a stickied thread for people asking questions is another question. Perhaps the title of the installation problems thread can be generalised to 'ask a question about NE'.

Quote:
1: Can someone conform this, it's been a while since I last played NE.
Confirmed.

Any suggestions for formulation of a standardised back to top statement? Should it simply be 'back to top'?

Also, what structures should the answers have? How descriptive should they be? As short as possible or as detailed as possible?

How 'petty' questions should be included? To what extent should it inform as opposed to 'only' provide answers to problems?

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject:

That's a good idea, SAOL! I've wanted to make that FAQ myself, but I find myself unable to take the time for it. I'll help out if I can.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodor wrote:
That's a good idea, SAOL! I've wanted to make that FAQ myself, but I find myself unable to take the time for it. I'll help out if I can.
Ca Putt took the initiative in the shoutbox this time, though I've wanted this for years. Razz

I've organised the questions in letters and numbers, as you can see. This means you don't have to quote the entire question if you need to mention it in this thread. It also makes it easier to find on the list for crossing out and so on. For instance, if I write an answer to a question I can do it like this:

Opening statement and introduction Spoiler:

Code:
[center][size=15][b]FAQ[/b][/size][/center]
[Maybe a nice header instead]

[b]Welcome to the NE FAQ![/b] In this post you will find some of the most frequently asked questions about NE. Click on the question and the answer will open in a new tab.

If you have a question that you feel should be featured in the FAQ, you can suggest it in [u][url=http://www.ne.elpea.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1715#95957]this thread.[/url][/u] If your question is of a more specific nature, you don't find the answer satisfactory enough or simply is desperate for some human interaction you may of course post the question in the appropriate forum. To avoid the forum being swamped by threads featuring the same question, we ask you to use the [u][url=http://www.ne.elpea.net/forum/search.php]search[/url][/u] function before posting the question.

[b]Unless otherwise mentioned, this FAQ is adapted for NE Beta 2.01.[/b]

[b]General Questions[/b]
[b]Installation Related Questions[/b]
[b]Gameplay and Functionality Related Questions[/b]
[b]Civilisation-specific Questions[/b]
[b][size=10]General[/size][/b]
[b][size=10]Americans[/size][/b]
[b][size=10]Polish[/size][/b]

B7 (preliminary) Spoiler:

Code:
 [b]How do I change which AI opponents I can choose?[/b]
We want to point out that if you want the German AI to work you will have to sacrifice the Sioux, but you will get the Prussians to play against instead. Also, the French AI will not work very well I'm afraid. Not in this release. All other civs work fine.

Now, step by step. There are two methods.

[size=13][b]Method 1 - if you have a backup AoE III folder or have not yet installed NE[/b][/size]
0: Before you install NE, make sure you make a backup of your [i]C:\programs\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III[/i] folder.

1: For simplicity, go to [i]My Ducuments\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\AI3[/i] and empty it if there are any .personality files in there.

2: Create all home cities for the NE civilisations. Once you have done this you will not be able to create new home cities with them.

3: Move the following .personality files from your [b]backup[/b] [i]Age of Empires III\AI3[/i] folder which does [b]not [/b]have NE installed to [i]My Ducuments\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\AI3[/i]
[spoiler][list]
[*]tokugawa.personality
[*]kangxi.personality
[*]akbar.personality
[*]elizabeth.personality
[*]henry.personality
[*]ivan.personality
[*]william.personality
[*]hiawatha.personality
[*]cuauhtemoc.personality
[*]isabella.personality[/list][/spoiler]

4: Move the following .personality files from the[i] Age of Empires III\AI3[/i] folder in which NE is installed to [i]My Ducuments\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\AI3[/i]
[spoiler][list][*]napoleon.persoanlity[*]crazyhorse.personality
[*]frederick.personality[*]suleiman.personality[/list][/spoiler]

--------------------------

[size=13][b]Method 2 - if you have installed NE without making a backup[/b][/size]
1: If you have played a game vs. all the AI civs in your regular, unmodded Age of Empires, check your[i] My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\AI3[/i] folder. There should be 14 .personality files in there when you have done this. [b]You can only restore the civilisations you have played against using this method.[/b]

2: Create all home cities for the NE civilisations. Once you have done this you will not be able to create new home cities with them.

3: If you want to, as we recommend, have the Swedes, Germans and Prussians available to play against at the expense of the Ottomans, Sioux and a dysfunctional German civilisation, move the .personality files of [i]Frederick[/i], [i]Crazyhorse[/i] and [i]Suleiman[/i] from your [i]Age of Empires III\AI3[/i] folder to your  [i]My Documents\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\AI3[/i] folder. Delete the other .personality files found in [i]My Documents\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\AI3[/i].

4: Move all the .Personality files from your [i]Age of Empires 3\AI3[/i] folder to the  [i]Napoleonic Era Beta 2\AI3[/i] folder [b]except[/b] for the ones called [i]Frederick.personality, Crazyhorse.personality[/i] and [i]Suleiman.personality[/i]. You should now have 14 .personality files in that folder. If you skipped step 3 you of course move the three mentioned files as well. If you hadn't played vs. all civilisations, then move all you can.

--------------------------

[b]Once you have completed[/b] either of the guides above you will be able to play against the
[list][*]British
[*]Spanish
[*]Dutch
[*]Russians
[*]Indians
[*]Chinese
[*]Japanese
[*]Iroquois
[*]Aztecs
[*]Portuguese
[*]Germans - Works good with cool new units and stuff
[*]Prussians - Works good
[*]Swedes - Works good
[*]French - Don't work very well

[/list][b]If you rather want the Ottomans than the Swedes[/b], simply replace the Suleiman.personality file found in your [i]Napoleonic Era Beta 2\AI3[/i] folder to the Suleiman.personality file found in your[i] Age of Empires 3\AI3[/i] folder.

[b]This key explains which .personality files represents which NE civilisation [/b] and therefore which civilisations can be swapped with each other on the lists.
[spoiler="Key to the NE civs .personality files"]
Napoleon - France
Elizabeth  - USA
Frederick - Prussia
Henry - Italy
Isabella - Austria
Ivan - Poland
Sulieman - Sweden
William - Switzerland
Crazyhorse - Germany[/spoiler]

C2 (preliminary) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]Does NE include a campaign?[/b]
No, a campaign is not included nor planned in NE. Furthermore, the regularly available campaigns are not enabled for play when NE is installed.

B6 (preliminary) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]Why can't I play versus all the old civilications [i]and[/i] the new ones?[/b]
Due to a so called [i]hardcoaded[/i], for us unalterable, limitation of the Age of Empires game no more than 14 civilisations can appear as available to play against at any one time. Since NE adds 7 new civilisations the total number of civilisations amount to 21. For this reason, some civilisations have to replace others on the list; they can't all be displayed simultaneously. This is true for both the civilisations you can play against and the civilisations for which you can create home cities.

If you want to learn how to change the civilisations available to play against [url*Link to question B7][u]click here[/u][/url]

B9 (preliminary) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]How do I find the new random maps? [/b]
To access the new random maps you must tick the box for "Custom Maps" when setting up your skirmish game.
[center][IMG]http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/Napoleonic_promotion/shgs.png[/IMG][/center]

B11 (preliminary) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]Can I play NE online?[/b]
Yes, you can play NE online. Both via ESO and other services such as Game Ranger. You can only play versus people with the same version of NE installed as you.

C3 (preliminary) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]Is there a version in my language? [/b]
The only release of NE that is available in more languages than English is the "NE Vanilla" version, which is available in German as well. It is an old and no longer supported version that only can be installed if you do [b]not[/b] have the War Chiefs and the Asian Dynasties expansions installed. Furthermore it requires your game is patched to 1.09.

B5 (preliminary) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]The AI doesn't do anything. What can I do?[/b]
The game's AI is not able to handle most of the new civilisations' AI properly. If you install the hotfix the AI of the Swedes, Prussians and Germans will function well.

You can switch which 14 of the 21 civilisations are available to play against. Thus, you can switch the NE civilisations with a faulty AI with other civilisations with a functioning AI. Learn how to do so by [u][url*link to relevant post goes here]clicking here[/url][/u].

A1 (preliminary) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]Can I combine NE with other modifications? [/b]
Generally no. Do not have other modifications installed in the same folder you install NE, and do not attempt to install any other modification while NE is installed. You can have several modifications installed simultaneously, but that requires you have several copies of your AoE III folder; one for each modification.

A3 (NOTE) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]Can I install NE and still play regular TAD?[/b]
Yes. To be able to switch between playing NE and regular TAD without uninstalling NE you must however have a copy of your [i]Age of Empires III[/i] folder. This copy should be made before installing NE.

We recommend you always make a backup copy of your [i]Age of Empires III[/i] folder before installing NE, even if you are not planning on switching between NE and regular TAD.

[b]How to copy the folder[/b]
[list=1][*]Go to [i]Computer\C:\Programs\Microsoft Games[/i].
[*]Right-click the folder called [i]Age of Empires III[/i] and select "copy".
[*]Right-click on any free space in the [i]Computer\C:\Programs\Microsoft Games[/i] folder and select paste. Your [i]Age of Empires III[/i] folder will now be copied. This will consume approximately 4 GB of hard drive space.

[b]The names of the folders decide whether NE or TAD will be launched[/b]
NE will be installed in the folder named [i]Age of Empires III[/i]. Furthermore, the shortcut icon for the Asian Dynasties will launch the folder of the same name.

If you have NE installed in one of the two folders while having a 'clean', regular TAD in the other you can therefore decide which game to launch by re-naming the folders. The folder named [i]Age of Empires III[/i] is the one that will run.
[spoiler="Examples"][center][IMG]http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/Napoleonic_promotion/jnkgr.png[/IMG]
[i]In this picture, NE is installed in the bottom folder. To keep track of what is in what folder, it has aptly been given the epithet "NE". The TAD shortcut icon will launch regular TAD.[/i]

[IMG]http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/Napoleonic_promotion/agjnr.png[/IMG]
[i]In this picture, the folder named "Age of Empires III - NE" in the previous picture has been renamed to "Age of Empires III", while the one named "Age of Empires III" in the previous picture has been renamed "Age of Empires III - Copy". The TAD shortcut icon will launch NE.[/i][/center][/spoiler]

A4 (preliminary) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]What are the requirements to install NE?[/b]
On the downloads page you can find specified what is required for each version of NE.

[b]For the latest version[/b], 2.01, you are required to have[i] Age of Empires III[/i] as well as its two expansion packs [i]The War Chiefs[/i] and [i]The Asian Dynasties[/i] installed. [i]The Asian Dynasties[/i] must be patched to 1.02 or 1.03 (which allows you to play without the game disc).

[b]Earlier versions[/b] all require the [i]exact[/i] patch specified on the downloads page. If you have a later patched install, you must uninstall your entire Age of Empires III and find and install the specified patch. You cannot use the games automatic updater nor go online to ESO2, as this will prompt the game to install the latest patch

A5 (preliminary) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]Which version should I install?[/b]
If you have both expansion packs we recommend the latest version, NE 2.01.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Tilanus wrote:
Then I have a few points/questions for you now.

As you can see, I've managed to scratch a few off the list this week; a third is done. Hopefully I will finish what I can during next week, when not laden with exams, birthdays, performances and other things. At least I think I have managed to make the potentially longest post on the forum Razz I don't know at how many signs the limit is.

On that note I want to mention that there are a few questions I'm not in a position to answer. Either because I lack the knowledge or because I do not speak from the required authority and do not want to presume to do so. These are primarily questions A2 (to some extent at least), B10, C7, C10 and Db1.

Lastly I have two inquiries I want to make of you. Number one is about the inclusion or exclusion of the "new" installer created by MxXx94. It would have relevancy to several answers as it enables easier switching between NE and regular TAD as well as installing the hotfix (apparently) for those feeling insecure about doing such things manually.

I know he hasn't replied to your post in his thread Tilanus; he doesn't appear to be frequent. He did however leave his mail, so we can call him back if necessary.

The second thing I'd like to inquire about is this: http://www.ne.elpea.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1403 Dark Force's installer for Mac, also including the hot fix. Perhaps another one of those pearls that would make life easier. I do not think ( Confused ) the version for mac on the downloads page has an automatic installer? In any case it could also have relevancy.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject:

A7 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]What is the Hotfix and how do I install it?[/b]
The Hotfix removes several bugs and glitches from NE 2.01. [url=http://www.ne.elpea.net/forum/downloads.html][u]Download it here[/u][/url].

Once you have downloaded the Hotfix you may want to extract the proper files from the zip file. Right click the .zip file called [i]NEHotFix7.1[/i], which should be found in [i]My Documents\Downloads[/i], and select [i]extract all[/i].

If you enter the [i]NEHotFix7.1[/i] folder, you will be presented with the [i]NEHotFix7.1 Beta[/i] folder. Enter that one as well.

Inside the [i]NEHotFix7.1 Beta[/i] folder, you will find two more folders, a file called [i]DataPY.bar[/i] and a Readme file containing instructions on how to install the Hotfix as well as the complete list of what it fixes.

To install[list][*]Move or copy the [i]DataPY.bar[/i] to the [i]Computer\C:\Programs\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III[/i] folder*. If the computer asks you whether to copy and replace, not copy, or copy and rename, tell it to [b]copy and replace[/b].
[*]Move the [b]contents[/b] of the Hotfix folder called [i]Data[/i] into the [i]Computer\C:\Programs\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Data[/i] folder. Just like before, tell the computer to [b]replace [/b]the old files.[/list]
 [center][IMG]http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/Napoleonic_promotion/auerhgaoer.png[/IMG][/center]
[size=10][i]Move the DataPY.bar file marked in [color=darkgreen]green[/color] to Computer\C:\Programs\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III, and the [b]contents[/b] of the Data folder marked in [color=darkblue]blue[/color] to Computer\C:\Programs\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Data [/i][/size]

[b]You have now successfully installed the Hotfix[/b]. As you may have noticed, there is a folder called [i]Bonus[/i]. To install the bonus content[list][*] Move the [i]sp_Bagdad_homecity[/i] and [i]sp_Inca_homecity[/i] to[i] My Documents\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\Savegame[/i]. This will enable two unfinished civilizations that were dropped early in development.[*]Move the contents of the [i]NE Lost RM[/i] to [i] My Documents\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\RM3[/i]. This will grant you some extra maps.[/list]

[b]To install the Hotfix on a Mac[/b] you initially follow the same instructions. The location and names of some of the folders differ. Look in the Readme that comes with the download for closer detail.

[i]*On 64-bit systems, go to the "Programs (x86)" folder instead of the "Programs" folder[/i].

A8 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]How do I get rid of NE?[/b]
Run the NE uninstaller. You can find this programme by searching for "Uninstall NE Beta" on the Start menu.

A9 '(prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]I have problems with my game after uninstalling NE. What can I do?[/b]
Try deleting the contents of your [i]My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3[/i]. If this does not help, your best chance is to uninstall Age of Empires III entirely and then install it again. In other words: re-install Age of Empires III.

This is why you should always make a backup before installing a modification.

B1 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]Can I play versus my own civilization, i.e. British versus British?[/b]
Just like in ordinary Age of Empires you [b]cannot[/b] play versus the civilization you are playing as.

The exception is, as with ordinary Age of Empires,  if you play on ESO and set an AI opponent instead of playing a human.

B2 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]I can't create home cities for all civilizations. What do I do?[/b]
Those home cities you cannot create should have been created for you in advance. To access these, simply browse your home cities.

Due to a so called hard-coded, unalterable, limitation of Age of Empires, more than 14 civilizations cannot be shown on the create home city list at one time. Since NE adds civilizations, all of them can't be shown.

If you want to learn how to change which civilizations appear on the list, [url*link to appropriate post here][u]click here[/u][/url].

B3 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]Where have all my old Home Cities gone?[/b]
They are still saved in[i] My Documents\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\Savegame.[/i] They will appear as usual if you switch back to ordinary Age of Empires III.

You can make your old home cities available in NE by copying the home cities you want from [i] My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Savegame[/i] to [i] My Documents\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\Savegame.[/i]

B4 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]I can't load my saved games! What do I do?[/b]
Sadly, both the cause and fix to this problem are unknown.

B5 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]What civilizations are there?[/b]

NE adds 7 new civilizations[list]
[*][b]Americans[/b]
[*][b]Prussians[/b]
[*][b]Swiss[/b]
[*][b]Austrians[/b]
[*][b]Italians[/b]
[*][b]Poles[/b]
[*][b]Swedes[/b][/list]

Furthermore it heavily modifies the[b] French[/b] and [b]German[/b] civilizations.

All other original European civilizations also get new content in the form of units and technologies. You can of course play as the Native American and Asian civilizations as well.

Da1 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]I've heard rumours about an Inca and Persian civilizations, but can't find them. Why?[/b]
They were both dropped in an early state of development. You can try out the skeletons of these very unfinished civilizations by installing the bonus content of the Hotfix. Learn how by [url=*link to appropriate post][i]clicking here[/i][/url].

Dc1 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]Why can't I age up while playing with the Poles?[/b]
You need to build more Hodowlany, the farms. You need one to age up to the second age, two for the third, three for the fourth, and five for the fifth age.

Dc2 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]How can I mount the Partyzant?[/b]
You need to enable [i]Advanced Formations[/i]. You can do this on the UI Options tab under the game's options menu.

A6 (NOTE) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]How do I install NE? (PC)[/b]

The following is true for the latest version of NE.

1: Make sure you meet the requirements for installing NE. You must have [b]Age of Empires III[/b] and [b]the War Chiefs[/b] and [b]the Asian Dynasties[/b] expansion packs installed. The Asian Dynasties expansion must be patched to [b]1.02[/b] or [b]1.03[/b], currently the latest patch. If you are unsure about which patch you have installed you can click the [i]Update Game[/i] button on the [i]Help and Tools[/i] menu of the Asian Dynasties.

Also, make sure you have no other modifications installed.

2: Make a backup of your[i] Computer\C:\programs\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III[/i] folder. If you don't know how, [url=*Link to app. post][u]click here[/u][/url].

3: Download NE 2.01 from [url=http://www.ne.elpea.net/forum/downloads.html][u]this page[/u][/url].

4: The file you have downloaded is a RAR-archive. To be able to install NE you must extract the files from the archive. This may require a special programme, such as 7-zip. Use the programme to extract the files. With most extractors this option should be available if you right-click the file.

You can download 7-zip [url=http://www.7-zip.org/][u]here[/u][/url].

5: When you have extracted the file, a folder called [i]ne_beta_0201[/i] will be presented to you. Enter it.

Inside you will find a single programme: [IMG]http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/Napoleonic_promotion/akjsbgak.png[/IMG] Right-click the programme and select [i]Run as Administrator[/i]. The installation will now commence. Follow the instructions of the installer. Once it is finished, NE is installed.

6: To remove several bugs from the modification, we recommend you install the Hotfix. Learn how by [url=* Link to app. post here][u]clicking here[/u].[/url]

B 10 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]Why does some units look black or appear to float?[/b]Black units are always the symptom of broken links to textures. This is a bug caused by a modder. If you see one, please report it [url=http://www.ne.elpea.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1107][u]here[/u][/url].

A floating unit or a unit missing body parts is caused because a model is lacking. This may happen if you have installed NE without having both the War Chiefs and the Asian Dynasties expansions for age of Empires III installed. Both expansions are required for the modification to work.

C3 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]Is this an official expansion pack for Age of Empires III?[/b]
No, this is not an official expansion pack. It is a non-profit project driven by Age of Empires enthusiasts.

C4 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]Do you have an affiliation with Microsoft or Ensemble Studios?[/b]
No, this is not an official expansion pack and. It is a non-profit project driven by Age of Empires enthusiasts. Neither Ensemble Studios nor Microsoft Games are involved in any way.

C5 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]When is it finished?[/b]
 :done:

C8 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]I have found a bug or problem. What do I do?[/b]
If it is a minor bug, please report it [url=http://www.ne.elpea.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1107][u]here[/u][/url].

If you have a bigger problem or issue, you can either [url=http://www.ne.elpea.net/forum/search.php][u]search[/u][/url] the forum to see if your problem has been answered or, if you can't find the answer you are looking for, create a new thread.

Db1 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]Why do the textures of the American buildings change?[/b]
Because they do. This is a feature, not a bug.

A2 (prel.) Spoiler:

Code:
[b]Can I run NE on a mac? How?[/b]
Yes you can install NE on a mac. You can either install it manually or use Dark Force's automatic installer.

[spoiler="Automatic Installation" ]1: Make sure you have [i]Age of Empires III[/i] as well as [i]the War Chiefs[/i] and [i]the Asian Dynasties[/i] expansion packs installed. Make sure you have no other modifications installed.

2: If you do not have a backup copy of your Age of Empires III game we would suggest making one now, as the mod irreversibly changes your install.

One solution would be to create an "Age of Empires III" folder and create a copy of your games by selecting all three Apps, copying them ( ⌘ + c ) and pasting them ( ⌘ + v ) in your newly created folder. That way you can still play the original AOE 3 games or NE!

3: Temporarily move your [i]Age of Empires III[/i] application that you wish to install NE to (no need to worry about [i]Warchiefs[/i] or [i]Asian Dynasties[/i]) to your Applications folder if it isn't there already. Don't forget to move it back to where it was before you moved it when you are done.

4: Run the installer.

5: You are now ready to enjoy NE. The installer installs the Hotfix as well as NE, so you need not install it manually. To launch, simply double click the [i]Asian Dynasties[/i] app.

Moreover Yomgui has fixed the version in order to be able to use the option panel within the game. So you don't have to mess up with .xml files to trigger the settings of the game.[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Manual installation"]
1: Make sure you have [i]Age of Empires III[/i] as well as [i]the War Chiefs[/i] and [i]the Asian Dynasties[/i] expansion packs installed. Make sure you have no other modifications installed.

2: Download NE for Mac from [url=http://www.ne.elpea.net/forum/downloads.html][u]here[/u][/url]. To extract the files from the archive file the download is you may need a file extractor programme, such as 7-zip. You can download 7-zip [url=http://www.7-zip.org/][u]here[/u][/url].

3: Go to the applications tab in Finder, or find the place where you installed AoE 3. Then right click on the AoE 3 app and select show application content. A new window appears, click on [b]Contents[/b], then [b]Resources[/b] and finally [b]GameData[/b].

4: [list][*]Copy the contents of the NE download's [i]Red Folder[/i] to the [i]Game Data[/i] directory.
[*]Copy the contents of the NE download's [i]Orange Folder[/i] to [i]Game Data\Art[/i].
[*]Copy the contents of the NE download's [i]Green Folder[/i] to the [i]Game Data\Data[/i].
[*]Copy the contents of the NE download's [i]Blue Folder[/i] to [i]Game Data\Sound[/i].[/list]
[b]Files will be replaced so don't prevent your computer from doing so.[/b]

5: Start the game once by double-clicking the [i]Asian Dynasties[/i] app. You should notice the changes, i.e. new splash image, new loading screen and new music. [b]When the game is ready, quit it. [/b]

Go to the documents tab in Finder. A folder named [i]My Games[/i] should have appeared. Open it. There is a folder named [i]Napoleonic Era Beta 2[/i]. In order to finalize the installation, replace this folder by the one found in the package you downloaded.

6: You are now ready to enjoy NE. For maximum pleasure we recommend you install the Hotfix, which removes some bugs. Learn how by [url=*link to appropriate post][u]clicking here[/u][/url].[/spoiler]

To uninstall the modification you must uninstall and reinstall the entire [i]Age of Empires III[/i] game, unless you have multiple copies of it installed. For further details, see point 2 in the [i]Automatic Installation[/i] spoiler.

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject:

SAOL wrote:
Tilanus wrote:
Then I have a few points/questions for you now.

On that note I want to mention that there are a few questions I'm not in a position to answer. Either because I lack the knowledge or because I do not speak from the required authority and do not want to presume to do so. These are primarily questions A2 (to some extent at least), B10, C7, C10 and Db1.

I shalt give thou answers of mine!

A2: Can I run NE on a mac? How?
You can, I'm not in touch with Macs at all though, so I can't tell you how it works. However, Yomgui can! (yay!) If I'm not mistaken, there was a readme file in 2.01 that may answer that question. Can't find a clean 2.01 built right now though.

B10: Why do some units look black/appear to float?
Black units are always the symptom for broken links to textures. This is a bug caused by a modder and should be reported in every case. The modder should be punished and likely tortured to death.

Could you tell me what you mean with floating?

C7: What is the meaning of life?
There is no meaning of life by nature, it shalt and has to be given by Thy Majesty himself.

C10:
Very funny indeed.

Db1: Why do the textures of the American buildings change?
Why does marmelade on bread always hit the ground when it's been falling down? The Americans obviously have an own building set, smart observation. Why? I don't know. Alexastor made it. Maybe just for the sake of doing something that is possible (this is a very traditional procedure which can be detected in all former NE releases) or to show that Americans are just not like Europeans. Visual differences inside the game may simplify the understanding of this fact for consumers.

Quote:
Lastly I have two inquiries I want to make of you. Number one is about the inclusion or exclusion of the "new" installer created by MxXx94. It would have relevancy to several answers as it enables easier switching between NE and regular TAD as well as installing the hotfix (apparently) for those feeling insecure about doing such things manually.

I know he hasn't replied to your post in his thread Tilanus; he doesn't appear to be frequent. He did however leave his mail, so we can call him back if necessary.

I'll contact him via mail soon, but I'm optimistic to include it.

Quote:
The second thing I'd like to inquire about is this: http://www.ne.elpea.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1403 Dark Force's installer for Mac, also including the hot fix. Perhaps another one of those pearls that would make life easier. I do not think ( Confused ) the version for mac on the downloads page has an automatic installer? In any case it could also have relevancy.

Nah, that's right, NE for Mac only exists as archive yet. I should damn Yomgui to do this, he has been doing all the Mac stuff. In case the installer works and causes no evil problems, I see no reason not to use it.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
It means that a model is missing and hence that you presumably lack one of the expansion packs.

Quote:
C7: What is the meaning of life?
There is no meaning of life by nature, it shalt and has to be given by Thy Majesty himself.

C10:
Very funny indeed.
Oh, I'm sorry Tilanus, but I forgot that I removed question C1. lol So, This should be question C6 and C9 rather obviously Wink

(Also, the meaning of life is 42, everybody knows that.)

Quote:
I'll contact him via mail soon, but I'm optimistic to include it.
I'll leave details on that on standby day. Answers can always be updated.

Quote:
Nah, that's right, NE for Mac only exists as archive yet. I should damn Yomgui to do this, he has been doing all the Mac stuff. In case the installer works and causes no evil problems, I see no reason not to use it.
I'm sure it does; DF seems like a pretty smart guy Razz The question is which version of the Hotfix it installs though. I'll send a PM and hope he has e-mail notification to ask him.

As with the other installer I'll put the inclusion on hold until all lights are green, but I certainly hope it will get to that.

Quote:
You can, I'm not in touch with Macs at all though, so I can't tell you how it works. However, Yomgui can! (yay!) If I'm not mistaken, there was a readme file in 2.01 that may answer that question.
It never occured to me that there must be a readme. Stupid. Topmodel I'll use that as a base.

Quote:
Can't find a clean 2.01 built right now though.
Uhhm, the download link? Razz

*edit All questions save for the two I pointed out in this thread are now answered.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Zupdate.

I've spoken to Dark Force, who confirmed that his installer installs the latest version of the hotfix. He kindly re-uploaded the installer to ageofempires.filefront.com, though it's pending for approval so I don't have the final link yet. He has also written some instructions on how to use it, which I will include in the Mac question.

When I get knowledge of the link I will put it in there as well, until it can be linked to from the downloads page.

Furthermore, the only things "missing" now are the two questions I reserved for yee holy to answer, that weren't because of a mistake from my side, as well as the alternative installation tool with built in switcher and hotfix. All of those can be added when ready; there is substantially very little reason to hold back posting this for much longer. Right?

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject:

SAOL wrote:
Quote:
It means that a model is missing and hence that you presumably lack one of the expansion packs.

Exactly, have you added that already somewhere? Can't find it.

Quote:
(Also, the meaning of life is 42, everybody knows that.)

D'oh!

Quote:
I've spoken to Dark Force, who confirmed that his installer installs the latest version of the hotfix. He kindly re-uploaded the installer to ageofempires.filefront.com, though it's pending for approval so I don't have the final link yet. He has also written some instructions on how to use it, which I will include in the Mac question.

When I get knowledge of the link I will put it in there as well, until it can be linked to from the downloads page.

Any news on that?

Quote:
Furthermore, the only things "missing" now are the two questions I reserved for yee holy to answer, that weren't because of a mistake from my side, as well as the alternative installation tool with built in switcher and hotfix. All of those can be added when ready; there is substantially very little reason to hold back posting this for much longer. Right?

Yep.

C6: Can I help?

Yes! Help is always appreciated and everyone is invited to offer his help to us. If you're wondering what we are looking for, then you can either just look for recruitment threads on this forum or directly contact me (Tilanus Commodor) or any other present member of the team. You can indeed also just start a new forum topic to offer your skills to the mod or ask help-related questions. Of course you should be skilled at what you're offering. We offer you assistance and support though on your way to become better. And maybe we can also learn something from you!

In every case you should have a basic understanding of game mechanics and game design. Modding experience and a solid background knowledge are also always beneficial. You ideally have Skype or MSN for communication and are open-minded concerning the usage of new software and development platforms.

Also long-term motivation is very important to us, since we are all working/studying people and progress therefore often occurs to be either quite slow or even interrupted. Time is not the problem, but the people's willingness to come back after or in between phases of absence. You really should have that willingness. Supportive is: There is no force, it's all voluntarily!

Take the chance to be creative and productive with us and make a cool mod. Smile

C9: Why is not [civilization] featured?

There are various reasons for a civ not being featured. The most important one is indeed, that it isn't relevant enough for the mod's theme. The mod's focus lies on western - mainly European - powers. Furthermore we have also decided to set a timeframe, which is roughly from 1555 to 1815.

We're not adding everything, just because we have the possibility to do that. On the contrary we seek to optimize and enhance everything that we already got inside these set frames.

Civs which fit the timeframe and theme, but were not as powerful as the already featured major civs, are mostly featured as native civ on random maps or in shape of homecity cards, units and technologies. The Swiss are an exception to that rule though. Simply cause they are the mod's foundation stone and an exciting civ to play.

-------------

I recently thought it would be good to add this question: Why does the development of NE take so long? - I'm going to answer this question another time though, I have to do some other work now.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Exactly, have you added that already somewhere? Can't find it.
I have. Number B2. Wink

Quote:
Any news on that?
I've put his instructions in, but he hasn't sent me the link yet. It shouldn't take this long for it to be uploaded though, so he might have forgotten. I'm gonna check and see if I can find it, or send him another PM. When I get hold of it I would suggest linking to it from the downloads page as well.

I haven't written to Maxxer, who made the alternate installer and switcher, though.

Quote:
I recently thought it would be good to add this question: Why does the development of NE take so long? - I'm going to answer this question another time though, I have to do some other work now.
No problem. If you don't mind, though, I'm going to post this now. Adding Another question is not going to be a problem.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Dark Force's automatic NE installer for Mac
including hotfix 7.1

>> Download Here <<

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Installation using R0gerBlack's AoE Installation Tool
This installer enables you to switch between playing NE and regular TAD with the click of a button - no hassle with renaming your AoE folders manually. It also includes an automated installer for the Hotfix.

1: Make sure you meet the requirements for installing NE. You must have Age of Empires III and the War Chiefs and the Asian Dynasties expansion packs installed. The Asian Dynasties expansion must be patched to 1.02 or 1.03, currently the latest patch. If you are unsure about which patch you have installed you can click the Update Game button on the Help and Tools menu of the Asian Dynasties.

Also, make sure you have no other modifications installed.

2: You may want to make a backup copy of your Age of Empires III folder. Learn how to here.

3: Download NE + Hotfix 7.1 for PC here.

4: The file you have downloaded is a RAR-archive. To be able to install NE you must extract the files from the archive. This may require a special programme, such as 7-zip. Use the programme to extract the files. With most extractors this option should be available if you right-click the file.

You can download 7-zip here.

5: When you have extracted the file you will be presented with a folder called Ne_InstTool+hotfix. Enter that folder. Right click the programme called and select "run as administrator". The installation tool will now start.

The Button marked in red is used to install NE, the button marked with blue installs the Hotfix, while the button marked in yellow allows you to decide whether to launch NE or regular TAD.

6: Click the Install game (AoE expansions) button, marked with a red box in the image above. You will be asked to specify on which folder you want to use the programme. Select the Computer\C:\Programs\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III folder* as demonstrated in the example below.
Choose Directory Spoiler:

7: Once you have specified the folder the programme will seemingly stop to work: you can notice this in the window frame as demonstrated below. Despite this do not close or in any other way try to stop or interrupt the programme. It is making another copy of your AoE III folder, which will enable you to easily switch between playing NE and regular TAD. This can take several minutes and consumes approximately 4 GB of hard drive space.

Don't worry, it should look like this for a few minutes while the programme is copying your AoE III folder. The image is taken from a Swedish version of Windows.

8: Once the copying is complete the NE installation programme will commence. Complete it.

9: Once you have completed the NE installer you can easily install the hotfix by simply clicking the button titled Install Hotfix (NE) marked in blue in the picture above.

10: To choose which game to launch simply click the button titled Run and choose either regular TAD or NE. The next time you want to play the other game, simply start the AoE Installer again, select Run and choose the other game.

The TAD desktop shortcut icon will launch whichever game - The Asian Dynasties or the Napoleonic Era - you last launched with the installation tool.

*If you are running on a 64-bit system you will find your "Age of Empires III" folder in the "Programs (x86)" folder instead of the "Programs" folder.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Well, You can see what that is. If you unlock the FAQ tomorrow I will put it in as well as do all the other necessary edits.

I'm also going to add download links to the normal NE installer and Hotfix from Mod DB, because I think they are good to have as an option.

As you have removed Yomgui's old manual dowload bundle for Mac I will remove that and store it away in this thread.

Any objections let me know. Wink

Yomgui Installer Stowaway Spoiler:

1: Make sure you have Age of Empires III as well as the War Chiefs and the Asian Dynasties expansion packs installed. Make sure you have no other modifications installed.

2: Download NE for Mac from here. To extract the files from the archive file the download is you may need a file extractor programme, such as 7-zip. You can download 7-zip here.

3: Go to the applications tab in Finder, or find the place where you installed AoE 3. Then right click on the AoE 3 app and select show application content. A new window appears, click on Contents, then Resources and finally GameData.

4:
  • Copy the contents of the NE download's Red Folder to the Game Data directory.
  • Copy the contents of the NE download's Orange Folder to Game Data\Art.
  • Copy the contents of the NE download's Green Folder to the Game Data\Data.
  • Copy the contents of the NE download's Blue Folder to Game Data\Sound.

Files will be replaced so don't prevent your computer from doing so.

5: Start the game once by double-clicking the Asian Dynasties app. You should notice the changes, i.e. new splash image, new loading screen and new music. When the game is ready, quit it.

Go to the documents tab in Finder. A folder named My Games should have appeared. Open it. There is a folder named Napoleonic Era Beta 2. In order to finalize the installation, replace this folder by the one found in the package you downloaded.

6: You are now ready to enjoy NE. For maximum pleasure we recommend you install the Hotfix, which removes some bugs. Learn how by clicking here.

Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject:

Good work Lad!
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5