Not interested
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Random Map Idea Contest

The legendary RM Scripter AOE_Fan, who also made the Gibraltar and Finland maps for NE, started an Random Map Idea Contest in which he is together with Pepp looking for the best idea of a new Random map which will be scripted afterwards.

Here the info!
Quote:
You have always wanted to make a great RM for Aoe3, but you are not a coder, right? Or perhaps, you don't understand a thing of scripting. Maybe you have decided to learn RMS, but then got lazy?

Well, your dreams have finally come true! For the first time in Aoe3 modding history, you have a chance to get RM based on your ideas, without needing to script it yourself. Isn't that great?

Basically, here is how it works:
  1. There will be one week to post a RM idea, and that will work as your entry for contest.
  2. After a week, judges (AOE_Fan & Pepp) decide on the best idea and announce the winner.
  3. The winner of best idea gets a RM based on it. The map will get scripted by AOE_Fan.

Rules and notes:
  1. Only 1 idea per person is allowed.
  2. Winner is decided by AOE_Fan and Pepp.
  3. There is one week's time to post ideas. The deadline is Thursday 12th of April, 18.00 GMT.
  4. The idea can contain modded things, but they don't come with the map. In these cases, similar replacements from unmodded Aoe3 (+TWC & TAD) will be used as much as possible.
  5. The winner gets permission to use the map in own projects/mods, the same of scripter needs to be mentioned though. AOE_Fan also has permission to use the map.
  6. The winner can edit the map later.

Guidelines, so that you have better chances of winning:
  1. The map should be unique, try to bring something new.
  2. Large areas like "USA", "Europe" or "Russia" are usually hard to make look good. Smaller areas like "Ireland", "Finland" or "Alps" can be better.
  3. The map idea should be thought out well.
  4. If the map has natives, it is wise to use fitting Aoe3 ones, as much as possible.

So, let's start it then, shall we? Good luck for everyone on making those RM ideas. Remember, only one can win!
If you have any questions, just ask. I tried to say every important thing...

PS: The contest is also running in other forums:
WotTA
AoE3H
AgeCommunity
AOE_Fan
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Come on, anyone? Oh, I see, you want WotTA members to win this thing. Mr. Green
Dark Force
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Only one idea..ummm....

NE doesn't have a Denmark RM. And the Great Northern War does fit the time period, yes?

Everyone starts on mainland section of Denmark and Sweden, leaves main large islands (and any others that you want to include) open for exploitation of resources and/or natives. Increases the importance of having a navy while providing a "neutral" territory to be the focus of all players attention.

Possible supporting ideas if desired/possible:
    Unique Danish natives (on islands). Unlock ability to build possible native units: warships, fishing vessels, and/or more ships in your fleet (tech).

Use of the water trade route through the channel between the Danish mainland, Danish islands, and Sweden.

Team setup (if possible) so all of team X are on Danish mainland and all team Y on Swedish mainland.

Other places for others to spark ideas/use:
Spoiler:

Iceland, Newfoundland, Scotland, Cuba, Philippines, Greece, Black Forest, Holland...

checanos
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject:

my entry: Italian east coast
the concept is that this terrain is rich and full of trade and commerce. large land mass full of forest, on the right side is the Adriatic sea. The players start inland rather close by. Some small islands off the coast.

Terrain & wildlife

food: deer on land and sardines in the sea
trees: the main tree is pine, some palm trees on the coast
gold: copper or silver mines
terrain: grass and dirt. possibilities: California_desert 3 mix and California_grassrocks

Trading post and natives

trading posts: three trading posts at the bottom left corner. More xp in trading posts than normal.
natives: there are no Italian natives in aoe 3, so none I guess.

other
I thought it would be cool if there were gaia small towns. Buildings like houses, mills, docks and markets around the map. And if its possible to make them like the fort on "king of the hill" map, that would implement more unique and different ways of playing.

hope you like it Mr. Green

Gaia buildings

Google+YoutubeAoEIII Heaven
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Q can someone tell me a good website for images (so i can upload sceen shots)
There are about half a zillion of them. Photobucket and Image Shack are two of the biggest ones.

checanos
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject:

thanks I will use image shack. But I came across another problem. I tried to take a screenshot with "snipping tool" but you can't use at the same time with aoe :/

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject:

Either use the hotkey for screenshot in AoE, which is one of the F-keys (can't remember which one), or push PrtScn, open paint and paste the screenshot in there. Save and upload.

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty certain it's F5. That is a lot easier then using Print Screen, according to me.
checanos
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject:

I already edited my post but it won't show it . it just shows the link :/

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject:

That means it is the wrong link. Wink

See:

Spoiler:

checanos
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject:

what link is that? I tried two Confused

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject:

One of the benefits of photobucket then, I presume. ^^

If you go to the link you put in the IMG tags in that post, say http://imageshack.us/f/856/italy4.png/ , you'll see two boxes on the side: "Links to share this image" and "Embed this image". If you put the "direct link" in the IMG tabs it should work. Otherwise you can use the Embed links for forum; they have a link to the site embedded as well. If you use that option, do remove the awful "uploaded with" commercial stump though.

checanos
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject:

thanks a lot SAOL Mr. Green

roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: New map

I AM USING THE SAME FORMAT AS CHECANOS
my entry: Southwest Italy and Sicily
I have a great idea for this. It takes place at the "tip" of the "boot" of Italy. half of the map (going northeast) is land, where 2-6 players spawn (i will get to the 7-8th later if there is). There is a large sea, and towards the bottom of the southwest (but not touching the edge of the map) is Sicily. At Sicily, if there is a 7th or 8th player, they will spawn there. Also, there could be small islands that could fit maybe a mill and thats it.

Terrain & wildlife
food: Deer and also fish in the water, also some whales
trees: Mostly palm trees for Italy, all for Sicily, and some pines inland of Italy
gold: On Sicily, Gold mines, and on Italy Silver

Trading post and natives
Trading posts: There is no trading post on Sicily, but there is one on Italy. It starts at the most northwest point, goes through the coast, and ends at the most northeast point
Natives: There is new natives to be made (Italians), one or two Italians...and one on Sicily. The Italians Units/upgrades are as follows:
UNITS: Nunico (4 limit), Flamiglia Utili (Utili with lower HP but more attack, and a small bonus vs heavy inf), and Italian Crossbowman (A better crossbowman with stronger atk than normal) UPGRADES: Popes Guard 600 coin 600 wood- The Pope Deploys 1 of his guards to your colony for every 5 minutes of game, up to 30 minutes (Very strong Swiss Guards...about 50 attack plus all of their bonuses), Merchanting ways 500 food 700 coin- The Merchants of Italy teaches you extreme merchanting ways, which gives your settlers a small XP trickle (like 0.1 or something) and improves all gather rates (10%). Crusading army 2000 food 2000 wood- Sends a mixed shipment of crusading knights (2 Elmeti, 4 Condorlloti, 10 crossbowman, and 3 Pavise)

Other
I think it would be also pretty awesome if you could have a New Civilization contest, because i have a TON of new ideas, such as Denmark, Scandinavia, Norway, an upgraded Japan, or even Samurai clans
AOE_Fan
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject:

The deadline was already 2 days ago, so the contest has ended already. Hopefully, the winner will be decided and announced today.
AOE_Fan
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Okay, Pepp hasn't yet replied to my PM, I hope he does that tomorrow. I cannot tell anything about who the winner is, but here is the Top 5 in no particular order:

Dark Force: Denmark (NE forum)
Hoop Thrower: Tierra Del Fuego (WotTA forum)
MAF: Lost Valley (WotTA forum)
Tahattus: Great Zimbabwe (WotTA forum)
Sanguivorant: Hostage (WotTA forum)

Sorry for double-posting.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2