Modding Report #15
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
   Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 5079
Location: Berlin, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Modding Report #15

Images!

MODDING REPORT #15

  • I've been researching and improving/redesigning concepts for artillery. It's a clearly different system that strongly emphasizes aspects like mobility, range, ammunition and purpose. The redesign will be fun!

  • I also researched flora & fauna to beautify and thus visually upgrade our Random Maps. That includes new animals like fox and lynx, but also new terrains, trees and other elements.

  • I made some design tests for infantry that will be present in the first two ages and are connected with the Thirty Years War.


    (from left to right: Arquebusiers, Pikemen, Musketeers, Landsknechte, Rondartschiere, Doppelsφldner, Rottmeyster)

    As you can see I equipped a variety of units with new hats and rifles.

  • Trying to find a harmonic concept for Harquebusiers, Black Riders and Dragoons.

  • The Spanish Rodelero will be and has been modded in several ways: 1.) Instead of countering Cavalry, they'll counter Hand Infantry now, 2.) the unit will be probably available for Austrians as Rondartschier and for Italians as Rotelliere. Their melee damage looks like this now: 12 base damage with 2.5x versus HandInfantry.

  • The Arquebusier (formerly known as Hand Cannoneer) has been modded too. Now it's a much clearer variation of the Musketeer. That means they have no bonus in ranged mode anymore, are not faster and own generally a higher base damage, which logically resulted in changed boni.

    Unlike Musketeers though, they do not kill cavalry, but counter Heavy Infantry in melee. So, similar in range, but inverse in melee. Their range and ranged damage is smaller than the one of the Musketeer, they do have more HP and a stronger melee base damage (16:13) though. I kind of figured they need that kind of nerf since the new AI was especially laming with their ranged boni and massing them even in later ages.

  • I'm progressing with finishing the Barbary States. The techs have finally been set and just need icons. Next to the Qrsan and Xebec they got their third unit, the Raqiq (or Reqyeq), who is a badly treated Christian slave. He is quite inferior to any kind of citizen, but is very cheap and easy to replace (and kill). Mr. Green



  • I've also continued the Syaf (or Sayyaf), an Arab Swordsman. You can check out this outdated alpha design, looks a lil different now, but you can still get the idea... Wink It's fun!



  • AOE_Fan is about to finish NE Gibraltar. He just has to fix hilliness and terrains.

  • Mr Bean finally sent me the Chevauleger textures. That was good work. Too bad he can't do more right now.

  • About the team: Most are abscent and busy. Coming back every now and then. I'm quite busy too, but I managed to do and post this. Yay! Cool

  • I'm also working out rules for the already mentioned Modding Council on the WotTA forum. I think we're gonna share some voicesets! Smile

Personal review: It goes on and on and on ...! Nananana! I'm happy to have worked on content and am eager for the next time which will hopefully come soon!
_________________
Napoleonic Era Project Leader


** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
aledied
TAA Co-Lead
TAA Co-Lead


Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 210
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject:

Good to see the progress. Keep up the good work!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor


Joined: 10 May 2009
Posts: 7801

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject:

Nice work on the units, I'm looking forward to using them Mr. Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LordXarax
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr


Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 15
Location: Romania, atm Finland-Helsinki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject:

That Rodero is great at royal upgrade.Good Job....and that Rottmeyster are good too but you should let the second upgrade too look like the last....it's look more German Smile....but even that the last is cool too...And good job with the Arabs too...xD they look like in that movie Kingdom Of Heaven...when they assaulted Jerusalem Wink...its cool guys....continue...And I don't know how it's works here....because i'm new, and I love the game and this period XVIII-XIX of wars...as Napoleon being my favorite conqueror of the world, and then Genghis Khan in the medieval age...just I know aoe3 is made it by Microsoft, and they should check this site and see how many peoples post here...because they like this game, and probably to hire you guys....because I think you do this job, free just because you love the game.
Keep Continue You are great Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
checanos
Conquistador
Conquistador


Joined: 21 Dec 2011
Posts: 395
Location: Sevilla, spain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject:

Thanks you guys. i love the textures of the inf units Praying Smiley
_________________

Google+YoutubeAoEIII Heaven
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Iliander
Gatling Gun
Gatling Gun


Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 2552
Location: Belgium, Ghent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Spanish Rodelero will be and has been modded in several ways: 1.) Instead of countering Cavalry, they'll counter Hand Infantry now, 2.) the unit will be probably available for Austrians as Rondartschier and for Italians as Rotelliere. Their melee damage looks like this now: 12 base damage with 2.5x versus HandInfantry.


Will the Rondartscier and the Rotelliere be exactly the same unit, just with a different name?

About the bonus: Is that actually visible in the game? Or do you perhaps mean Heavy Infantry? I think (imao) that it's more wise to give him a 2x bonus against Infantry (all infantry), and that his high melee resistance would make him more effective against the hand infantry units (actually all hand units).

Quote:
The Arquebusier (formerly known as Hand Cannoneer) has been modded too. Now it's a much clearer variation of the Musketeer. That means they have no bonus in ranged mode anymore, are not faster and own generally a higher base damage, which logically resulted in changed boni.

Unlike Musketeers though, they do not kill cavalry, but counter Heavy Infantry in melee. So, similar in range, but inverse in melee. Their range and ranged damage is smaller than the one of the Musketeer, they do have more HP and a stronger melee base damage (16:13) though. I kind of figured they need that kind of nerf since the new AI was especially laming with their ranged boni and massing them even in later ages.
I just love this. Cool Pretty much a Musketeer that counter Heavy Infantry instead of Cavalry in melee, I love it! Am I being rude if I post my idea of their stats? Mr. Green

Spoiler:

Hitpoints: 170 (150 x 1.125, neutralises the lesser range)
Resistance: 20% Hand
Speed: 4
Ranged Attack: 20 (23 x 0.888, neutralises the better hand attack)
Range: 10 (12 x 0.8, neutralises the better hitpoints)
Hand Attack: 15 (13 x 1.125, neutralises the lesser ranged attack) - 3xHeavyInfantry
Siege Attack: 20



The Barbarians look awesome btw.
_________________
‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›
Join the community of the language of Pepp!

Speak true
Peppish, it is alike marble cake!

Join today or yesterday and send a PM to
Pepp!

‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
AOE_Fan
Councillor
Councillor


Joined: 22 Apr 2011
Posts: 128
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
AOE_Fan is about to finish NE Gibraltar. He just has to fix hilliness and terrains.

Really? I thought it was done... Confused
_________________
Coder and RM & AI Scripter for Knights & Barbarians mod
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Skype Name
Iliander
Gatling Gun
Gatling Gun


Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 2552
Location: Belgium, Ghent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject:

LOL? lol
_________________
‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›
Join the community of the language of Pepp!

Speak true
Peppish, it is alike marble cake!

Join today or yesterday and send a PM to
Pepp!

‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 5079
Location: Berlin, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject:

AOE_Fan wrote:
Quote:
AOE_Fan is about to finish NE Gibraltar. He just has to fix hilliness and terrains.

Really? I thought it was done... Confused

Hehe, well yes, but I haven't looked at it yet! So if I say "it's done" and then find something to fix, it wouldn't be correct, right? However, saying "something is about to be fixed" still gives me that possibility. Wink

Iliander wrote:
Will the Rondartscier and the Rotelliere be exactly the same unit, just with a different name?

That's not sure yet. A different name should actually also point out a difference in detail. I could also imagine them being some kind of regular archaic swordsmen for more civs, that are either afterwards being changed or already different in the beginning.

Quote:
About the bonus: Is that actually visible in the game? Or do you perhaps mean Heavy Infantry? I think (imao) that it's more wise to give him a 2x bonus against Infantry (all infantry), and that his high melee resistance would make him more effective against the hand infantry units (actually all hand units).

No, that's intended. No bonus against heavy infantry, that'd lead people to (ab)use them in late game. A bonus versus heavy infantry is very useful after all and quite hard to calculate.
Historically these guys were used to break up formations of pikemen and musketeers. In AoE3 there are better units to pull down musketeers (HeavyInfantry), this unit has a limited radius of action. It's been solely designed to attack enemy melee troops. It's compact, easy to understand and balance. Apart from its bonus, it's an excellent melee unit itself, so it'll also be dangerous for Musketeers (but less for Arquebusiers), even though they're not HandInfantry themselves.

Quote:
I just love this. Cool Pretty much a Musketeer that counter Heavy Infantry instead of Cavalry in melee, I love it! Am I being rude if I post my idea of their stats? Mr. Green

Spoiler:

Hitpoints: 170 (150 x 1.125, neutralises the lesser range)
Resistance: 20% Hand
Speed: 4
Ranged Attack: 20 (23 x 0.888, neutralises the better hand attack)
Range: 10 (12 x 0.8, neutralises the better hitpoints)
Hand Attack: 15 (13 x 1.125, neutralises the lesser ranged attack) - 3xHeavyInfantry
Siege Attack: 20


The stats almost look like the ones you suggested. Just the Hand attack bonus isn't as strong as yours. I think Melee is on 16, Range on 10, but Speed is on 4, MR on 20% and Ranged also on 20. Wink

LordXarax wrote:
That Rodero is great at royal upgrade.Good Job....and that Rottmeyster are good too but you should let the second upgrade too look like the last....it's look more German Smile....but even that the last is cool too...And good job with the Arabs too...xD they look like in that movie Kingdom Of Heaven...when they assaulted Jerusalem Wink...its cool guys....continue...And I don't know how it's works here....because i'm new, and I love the game and this period XVIII-XIX of wars...as Napoleon being my favorite conqueror of the world, and then Genghis Khan in the medieval age...just I know aoe3 is made it by Microsoft, and they should check this site and see how many peoples post here...because they like this game, and probably to hire you guys....because I think you do this job, free just because you love the game.
Keep Continue You are great Wink

Well, I see that you're new here, hehe. Welcome! Microsoft doesn't give a shit about us and I think that's okay. Thanks for your compliments. Smile The Rottmeyster won't have upgrades, that screen only shows possible designs of these units. It's a design test, no final design yet. Wink
_________________
Napoleonic Era Project Leader


** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Iliander
Gatling Gun
Gatling Gun


Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 2552
Location: Belgium, Ghent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodor wrote:
That's not sure yet. A different name should actually also point out a difference in detail. I could also imagine them being some kind of regular archaic swordsmen for more civs, that are either afterwards being changed or already different in the beginning.
Well, letting them be an archaic (speaking of archaic, will NE still have the Crossbowman?) swordsman (for the Spanish, Italian and Austrian?) could work when all civs (or at least the civs that need a specific name, such as the Spanish with their Rodelero) can upgrade them to RG level. Example:

Spoiler:

Spanish:

Swordsman Arrow Veteran Swordsman Arrow Rodelero Arrow Imperial Rodelero

Italian:

Swordsman Arrow Veteran Swordsman Arrow Rotelliere Arrow Imperial Rotelliere

Austrian:

Swordsman Arrow Veteran Swordsman Arrow Rondartschiere Arrow Imperial Rondartschiere

Or... maybe this isn't archaic enough. -.-'

Quote:
No, that's intended. No bonus against heavy infantry, that'd lead people to (ab)use them in late game. A bonus versus heavy infantry is very useful after all and quite hard to calculate.
Historically these guys were used to break up formations of pikemen and musketeers. In AoE3 there are better units to pull down musketeers (HeavyInfantry), this unit has a limited radius of action. It's been solely designed to attack enemy melee troops. It's compact, easy to understand and balance. Apart from its bonus, it's an excellent melee unit itself, so it'll also be dangerous for Musketeers (but less for Arquebusiers), even though they're not HandInfantry themselves.
I get it now. But still, isn't it a bit strange to not see the bonus when looking at the in-game stats (can be confusing for players)? Confused

Quote:
The stats almost look like the ones you suggested. Just the Hand attack bonus isn't as strong as yours. I think Melee is on 16, Range on 10, but Speed is on 4, MR on 20% and Ranged also on 20. Wink
Okay, just making sure NE will have good stats. lol
_________________
‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›
Join the community of the language of Pepp!

Speak true
Peppish, it is alike marble cake!

Join today or yesterday and send a PM to
Pepp!

‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›--‹›
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LordXarax
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr


Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 15
Location: Romania, atm Finland-Helsinki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Well yea, too bad they dont give a shit why they should...because peoples like you guys, keep the game still alive, and heh asians make Star Craft national sport lol, in europe u guys can make this international game, if you continue like this Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Zephyr_Arsland
NE Guard
NE Guard


Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Posts: 52
Location: Junktown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject:

Terrific work as always, chief... *claps profusely*

Let's keep this up =)
_________________
Our motto: APOCALYPSE NOW
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BrouverHoog
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr


Joined: 11 Oct 2011
Posts: 10
Location: Lodz, Poland

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject:

It looks amazing !

lol lol lol
_________________


"We in Poland do not know the concept of peace at any price. There is only one thing in people's lives, nations and states, which is priceless. That thing is honor." - Joseph Beck
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor


Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 23251
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Oh Tilanus. You put such a smile on my face that I can't even bare to smear this post with references to faeces. Smile

The units looks as smashingly dandy as always and I like what I read about the artillery.

I also want to push for one thing - the mac version of the current release. For the sake of public relations you should make a statement describing the situation, whatever it may be.
_________________
Join
WWLLUASCLWPJ
We Who Loathe Long or Unnecessary Abbreviations and Similar Clusters of Letters Without Proper Justification

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Name
DanielDude
Settler
Settler


Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Wow man! I really admire your work! I really wish more people would play NE.

Regards.

Oh btw, did you work on the original AOE with ensemble? Wikipedia says that NE was made for the personal use of Ensemble Studios. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor


Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 23251
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Oh btw, did you work on the original AOE with ensemble? Wikipedia says that NE was made for the personal use of Ensemble Studios.
Where on Wikipedia did you read that? The NE article was removed a few months ago, and it certainly didn't say anything about that.

It is not so, either way.

Lastly, welcome to the forums, Dan Smile
_________________
Join
WWLLUASCLWPJ
We Who Loathe Long or Unnecessary Abbreviations and Similar Clusters of Letters Without Proper Justification

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Name
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> News All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group | Page design by Tilanus Commodor & michfrm.