Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Forum Index -> Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: FAQ

FAQ

Welcome to the NE FAQ! In this post you will find some of the most frequently asked questions about NE. Click on the question and the answer will open in a new tab.

If you were looking for the forum usage FAQ, please click here.

If you have a question that you feel should be featured in the FAQ, you can suggest it in this thread. If your question is of a more specific nature, you don't find the answer satisfactory enough or simply is desperate for some human interaction you may of course post the question in the appropriate forum. To avoid the forum being swamped by threads featuring the same question, we ask you to use the search function before posting the question.

Unless otherwise mentioned, this FAQ is adapted for NE Beta 2.01.

Installation Related Questions
How do I install NE?
Can I run NE on a mac? How?
How do I make a backup copy of my Age of Empires III folder?
What is the Hotfix and how do I install it?
Can I combine NE with other modifications?
Can I install NE and still play regular TAD?
What are the requirements to install NE?
Which version should I install?
How do I get rid of NE?
I have problems with my game after uninstalling NE. What can I do?

Gameplay and Functionality Related Questions
I can't create home cities for all civilizations. What do I do?
Why can't I play versus all the old civilications and the new ones?
Where have all my old Home Cities gone?
The AI doesn't do anything. What can I do?
How do I change which AI opponents I can choose?
Can I play NE online?
What civilizations are there?
How do I find the new random maps?
Why do some units look black or appear to float?
I can't load my saved games! What do I do?
Can I play versus my own civilization, i.e. British versus British?

General Questions
Does NE include a campaign?
Is there a version in my language?
Is this an official expansion pack for Age of Empires III?
Do you have an affiliation with Microsoft or Ensemble Studios?
When is it finished?
I have found a bug or problem. What do I do?
Why is not [civilization] featured?
Can I help?

Civilisation-specific Questions
General
I've heard rumours about Inca and Persian civilizations, but can't find them. Why?

Americans
Why do the textures of the American buildings change?

Polish
Why can't I age up while playing with the Poles?
How can I mount the Partyzant?

--------------------------------------
Please do not ask any questions in this thread
If you want to ask a question, please read this post
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject:

How do I install NE?
This section describes how to install the latest version of NE on a PC. If you want to install NE on a Macintosh, click here.

1. Make sure you meet the requirements for installing NE. You must have Age of Empires III and the War Chiefs and the Asian Dynasties expansion packs installed. The Asian Dynasties expansion must be patched to 1.02 or 1.03, currently the latest patch. If you are unsure about which patch you have installed you can click the Update Game button on the Help and Tools menu of the Asian Dynasties.

Also, make sure you have no other modifications installed.

2. Make a backup of your Computer\C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III folder. If you don't know how, click here.

3. Download NE 2.01 from this page.

4. The file you have downloaded is a RAR-archive. To be able to install NE you must extract the files from the archive. This may require a special programme, such as 7-zip. Use the programme to extract the files. With most extractors this option should be available if you right-click the file.

You can download 7-zip here.

5. When you have extracted the file, a folder called ne_beta_0201 will be presented to you. Enter it.

Inside you will find a single programme: Right-click the programme and select Run as Administrator. The installation will now commence. Follow the instructions of the installer. Once it is finished, NE is installed.

Enjoy!

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject:

Can I run NE on a mac? How?
Yes you can install NE on a mac.

1: Make sure you have Age of Empires III as well as the War Chiefs and the Asian Dynasties expansion packs installed. Make sure you have no other modifications installed.

2: If you do not have a backup copy of your Age of Empires III game we would suggest making one now, as the mod irreversibly changes your install.

One solution would be to create an "Age of Empires III" folder and create a copy of your games by selecting all three Apps, copying them ( ⌘ + c ) and pasting them ( ⌘ + v ) in your newly created folder. That way you can still play the original AOE 3 games or NE!

3: Temporarily move your Age of Empires III application that you wish to install NE to (no need to worry about Warchiefs or Asian Dynasties) to your Applications folder if it isn't there already. Don't forget to move it back to where it was before you moved it when you are done.

4: Download and run the installer for Mac, which you can find here.

5: You are now ready to enjoy NE. The installer installs the Hotfix as well as NE, so you need not install it manually. To launch, simply double click the Asian Dynasties app.

Moreover Yomgui has fixed the version in order to be able to use the option panel within the game. So you don't have to mess up with .xml files to trigger the settings of the game.

To uninstall the modification you must uninstall and reinstall the entire Age of Empires III game, unless you have multiple copies of it installed. For further details, see point 2 in the Automatic Installation spoiler.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject:

What is the Hotfix and how do I install it?
The hotfix was released to address several bugs and glitches in NE Beta 2.01. It is now included in all of the installers available on the downloads page, both for PC and for Mac Therefore you need not install it manually any longer.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject:

Can I combine NE with other modifications?
Generally no. Do not have other modifications installed in the same folder you install NE, and do not attempt to install any other modification while NE is installed. You can have several modifications installed simultaneously, but that requires you have several copies of your AoE III folder; one for each modification.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject:

Can I install NE and still play regular TAD?
Yes.

To be able to switch between playing NE and regular TAD without uninstalling NE you must have a second copy of your Age of Empires III folder. This copy should be made before installing NE. If you don't know how to make a copy, click here.

We recommend you always make a backup copy of your Age of Empires III folder before installing NE, even if you are not planning on switching between NE and regular TAD.

The names of the folders decide whether NE or TAD will be launched
NE will be installed in the folder named Age of Empires III. Furthermore, the shortcut icon for the Asian Dynasties will launch the folder of the same name.

If you have NE installed in one of the two folders while having a 'clean', regular TAD in the other you can therefore decide which game to launch by re-naming the folders. The folder named Age of Empires III is the one that will run.
Examples Spoiler:

In this picture, NE is installed in the bottom folder. To keep track of what is in what folder, it has aptly been given the epithet "NE". The TAD shortcut icon will launch regular TAD.

In this picture, the folder named "Age of Empires III - NE" in the previous picture has been renamed to "Age of Empires III", while the one named "Age of Empires III" in the previous picture has been renamed "Age of Empires III - Copy". The TAD shortcut icon will launch NE.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject:

What are the requirements to install NE?
On the downloads page you can find specified what is required for each version of NE.

For the latest version, 2.01, you are required to have Age of Empires III as well as its two expansion packs The War Chiefs and The Asian Dynasties installed. The Asian Dynasties must be patched to 1.02 or 1.03 (which allows you to play without the game disc).

Earlier versions all require the exact patch specified on the downloads page. If you have a later patched install, you must uninstall your entire Age of Empires III and find and install the specified patch. You cannot use the games automatic updater nor go online to ESO2, as this will prompt the game to install the latest patch

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject:

Which version should I install?
If you have both expansion packs we recommend the latest version, NE 2.01.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject:

How do I get rid of NE?
Run the NE uninstaller. You can find this programme by searching for "Uninstall NE Beta" on the Start menu.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject:

I have problems with my game after uninstalling NE. What can I do?
Try deleting the contents of your My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3. If this does not help, your best chance is to uninstall Age of Empires III entirely and then install it again. In other words: re-install Age of Empires III.

This is why you should always make a backup before installing a modification.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject:

I can't create home cities for all civilizations. What do I do?
Those home cities you cannot create should have been created for you in advance. To access these, simply browse your home cities.

Due to a so called hard-coded, unalterable, limitation of Age of Empires, more than 14 civilizations cannot be shown on the create home city list at one time. Since NE adds civilizations, all of them can't be shown.

If you want to learn how to change which civilizations appear on the list, click here.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject:

Why can't I play versus all the old civilications and the new ones?
Due to a so called hardcoaded, for us unalterable, limitation of the Age of Empires game no more than 14 civilisations can appear as available to play against at any one time. Since NE adds 7 new civilisations the total number of civilisations amount to 21. For this reason, some civilisations have to replace others on the list; they can't all be displayed simultaneously. This is true for both the civilisations you can play against and the civilisations for which you can create home cities.

If you want to learn how to change the civilisations available to play against click here

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject:

Where have all my old Home Cities gone?
They are still saved in My Documents\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\Savegame. They will appear as usual if you switch back to ordinary Age of Empires III.

You can make your old home cities available in NE by copying the home cities you want from My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Savegame to My Documents\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\Savegame.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject:

The AI doesn't do anything. What can I do?
For improved AI performance you can install motter28218 and kangcliff's AI fix availible on the downloads page.

Installation instructions Spoiler:

1. Download the file.

2. Unpack the Archive

3. You may see folders with different version numbers. Enter the folder with the highest version number.

4. Move the contents of the folder labelled "Data" to your Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Data\ folder.

5. Move the contents of the "AI3" folder to your Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\AI3\ folder.

If you don't have a folder named Program Files (x86) or the equivalent in your language, but only a Program Files folder, follow the above instructions the same but substitute Program Files (x86) with just Program Files.

You can also switch which 14 of the 21 civilisations are available to play against. Thus, you can switch the NE civilisations with a faulty AI with other civilisations with a functioning AI. Learn how to do so by clicking here.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject:

How do I change which AI opponents I can choose?
We want to point out that if you want the German AI to work you will have to sacrifice the Sioux, but you will get the Prussians to play against instead. Also, the French AI will not work very well I'm afraid. Not in this release. All other civs work fine.

Now, step by step. There are two methods.

Method 1 - if you have a backup AoE III folder or have not yet installed NE
Method 1 Spoiler:

Before you install NE, make sure you make a backup of your C:\programs\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III folder. If you don't know how to, click here.

1. For simplicity, go to My Ducuments\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\AI3 and empty it if there are any .personality files in there.

2. Create all home cities for the NE civilisations. Once you have done this you will not be able to create new home cities with them.

3. Move the .personality files of the original civilizations you wish to be able to play against from your backup Age of Empires III/AI3 folder which does not have NE installed to your My Ducuments\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\AI3 folder.

4. Move the .personality files of the NE civilizations you would like to be able to play agaist from the Age of Empires III\AI3 folder in which NE is installed to My Ducuments\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\AI3

The key below details which .personality files from the AI3 folder in which NE is installed represent which NE civilizations.

You must not make doubles of any .personality file. In other words, there may be no more than one .personality file of a certain name in your My Ducuments\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\AI3 folder. The total amount of .personality files in that folder can therefore not be more than 14.

Method 2 - if you have installed NE without making a backup
Spoiler:

1. If you have played a game vs. all the AI civs in your regular, unmodded Age of Empires, check your My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\AI3 folder. There should be 14 .personality files in there when you have done this. You can only restore the civilisations you have played against using this method.

2. Create all home cities for the NE civilisations. Once you have done this you will not be able to create new home cities with them.

3. Move the .personality files of the NE civilization you wish to be able to play against according to the table above from your Age of Empires III/AI3 folder to your My Ducuments\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\AI3 folder or simply keep them if they are already there. Remove the ones you want to swap.

4. Move the .personality files of the original civilizations you want to be able to play against from your My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\AI3 folder to your My Ducuments\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\AI3 folder

The key below details which .personality files from the AI3 folder in which NE is installed represent which NE civilizations.

You must not make doubles of any .personality file. In other words, there may be no more than one .personality file of a certain name in your My Ducuments\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\AI3 folder. The total amount of .personality files in that folder can therefore not be more than 14.

This key explains which .personality files represents which NE civilisation and therefore which civilisations can be swapped with each other on the lists.
Key to the NE civs .personality files Spoiler:

Napoleon - France
Elizabeth - USA
Frederick - Prussia
Henry - Italy
Isabella - Austria
Ivan - Poland
Sulieman - Sweden
William - Switzerland
Crazyhorse - Germany

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject:

Can I play NE online?
Yes, you can play NE online. Both via ESO and other services such as Game Ranger. You can only play versus people with the same version of NE installed as you.

If you are looking for online players, you can enter your details in this thread, NE's Facebook page or the special NE Facebook page for online match-ups.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Technical Support All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3