Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Modding Report #17

Fixing and mixing!

MODDING REPORT #17

• For an unknown reason our SVN server crashed and everybody was unable to update and commit stuff. With some effective reading I managed to fix it though and now the server's running fine again!

• Second bad news was that the AI didn't work anymore, it just didn't compile. I'm not an AI scripter, but with a quick introduction from Zephyr I also managed to fix the AI. Works fine again, some additional code I didn't analyze yet messed it up.

• In the last two month many might have noticed that I updated our social media. New and old images, trying to permanently keep up a stream of news and answering user questions. Hope you appreciate it! Smile

• Melee infantry like this age1 Pikeman (redesign) will adopt this line formation now:

• The Spy will be different in the next NE version. Even though still having decent stats, he'll be less of a massable melee unit (cause that just looked ridiculous), but really become a tactical unit in the sense of sabotage (special ability), reconaissance (LOS) and assassination (Crackshot attack). I also made a rough design sketch already. Check out his modes and ranged attack anim:

• The Longbowman has been kicked. In return the British will get decent Skirmishers/Sharpshooters. The Rifleman will be merged into them.

• Still working on the seemingly never-ending design of the Chevauleger. Agh. Soo strenuous! This unit's really straining my nerves.

• Good news for lovers of the once kicked Grapeshot gun! The Organ Gun will become a generic Howitzer, which has two of three possible fire modes already. The known solid shot and the case shot ("Grapeshot") which spreads bullets in a certain angle and causes damage in an area of effect (like 2-3). The Howitzer could historically become an age 2 artillery piece, but may rather be age 3 or even 4 cause of its power. In the planned redesign of artillery, the Howitzer combines fire modes of usual cannons and mortars. The Howitzer is most effective against land military, has normal artillery speed, the drawbacks are the high costs and low armour. It is also the only cannon with three planned fire modes, whereas other cannons have a maximum of 2.

• The Cavalry Archer is now called Tatar. Both anti-cav cavalry units, the Dragoon and the Tatar also have changed boni now. There is not a malus against villagers anymore, but even a bonus. Their bonus against artillery has been limited to their melee attack. Tatars have characteristically a higher rate of fire now, but Dragoons still cause more damage in a single attack.

• The Saxon Cavalry is now called Garde du Corps and will also be available for Prussians and French in shape of one shipment.

• The Dutch Ruyter and Geus will also be kicked in the next version, since these units are mainly constructed, undefined units. They get the Dragoon and Musketeer instead. The Halberdier may probably stay as unique unit of the Dutch, but that’s not sure yet.

• The German civ is progressing. They have by standard a worse XP trickle rate than all other civs, but they can compensate and even surpass it with building their Reichstag, that now also offers banner armies (circle armies/troops) instead of single units. The armies are:

• Verlorener Haufen: 4x Rottmeyster, 4x Doppelsöldner (Merc)
      [Pop: 15; 1xShip 400c - 15sec] - Age II

• Hessisches Jägerkorps: 1x Sharpshooter, 3x Hessischer Jäger (Merc), 6x Skirmisher
      [Pop:10; 1xShip 900c 400f - 25sec] - Age III

• Sächsische Gardekavallerie: 10x Garde du Corps
      [Pop:20; 1xShip 1500c - 30sec] - Age III

• Württemberger Feldartillerie: 2x Horse Artillery, 15x Horse Grenadier
      [Pop:25; 1xShip 1000c 1000f 400w - 30sec] - Age IV

• Bayerisches Regiment: 10x Gebirgsschütze, 10x Grenadier, 5x Chevauleger
      [Pop:35; 1xShip 1250c 2000f - 20sec] - Age IV

• Kurhannoversches Regiment: 25x Musketeer, 10x Brunswicker, 5x Dragoons
      [Pop:40; 2xShip 1500c 1500f 400w - 35sec] - Age IV

Each shipment costs at least 1 shipment and some additional resources. As you can see the German armies are highly beneficial for the German civ, since they have short train times and reduced pop and resource costs. Thus they are the key constructions for offensive gameplay.

Except the Verlorener Haufen which is a special Landsknecht formation, all the other specialized banner armies represent more or less famous circle armies from German states, which all together shape the imaginary, but historical Reichsarmee (army of the HRE). It’s not complete indeed, the states were numerous and the structure of the empire tended to be very complex and abstract. Nonetheless you should get the idea of how it is supposed to be! Wink

• The stats of German and Polish Musketeers have been altered for creating deficits in the civs out of balancing reasons. The German Musketeer has +30 HP, but takes now 40 seconds to be built instead of 30 and costs 50c/50f. The Polish Musketeer has 20% less hitpoints, 3 points less dmg, but also costs 5 less coins and food.

Personal review: I’ve been quite busy in the last time with university-related things and even though the last report is quite some time ago, these are in my eyes some great news. A fixed AI, a fixed server and even new rocking content!
roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject:

1st off, kinda like the pikemen upgrade
2nd off, great idea with the spy. i didnt really like spy before, and i think these reforms will make it more awesome
3rd off, i kinda liked longbowman, but they have riflemen, so not needed
4th off, not a big fan of chevvy (thats what i call it) do whatever with chevvy
5th off, i think this thing about artillery is great
6th off, i think without the anti-villie bonus is good, but then again that Irregulars ottoman card is now useless kinda
7th off, Saxon Cavalry shoudl be avalable for french too. Good idea!
8th off, i think they should keap geus.
9th off (so many offs), I LOVE THE BANNER ARMY idea. But yea, they should cost a shipment as they are very powerful (for most).
10th off, i think the musketeer reform for German is good, but i dont really like the Polish idea, i think 20% is a little steep and but 3 is good. I think it should be 15% less. Other than that, looks GREAT

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RoySOTR

Feel free to add me.
Dark Force
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject:

Sweet!! Love the idea of german banner armies and finally removing the long bowman.

Only 2 questions, one suggestion and one constructive criticism ( lol ):

1) With the organ gun being kicked, what will the Portuguese UU?

2) Is it just Tatar or both the Tatar and Dragoon that have their attack bonus limited to melee?

3) I'm not sure if it is possible, but with the pikemen able to adopt the line formation, the idea is at least plausible. Decrease the damage bonus of pikemen on cavalry, but increase this bonus or overall attack when they are in formation (clustered close together)? I was thinking something along the lines of the US's Grande Army bonus, only requiring the pikemen to be slightly closer to each other..

4) -20% HP and 3 dmg do seem a little drastic for a reduction of only 5 food/gold.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject:

I'm trying to establish a more stat-sensitive gameplay instead of pumping out plenty of unique units that were - if you look closely and read effectively - historically not that unique. Therefore I can't promise another Portuguese UU yet, even though I'll try something. They'll get falconets in the next release. Portugal, however, also is - unlike the Ottomans or the asian and american civs - generally a good example how different and refreshing stat-sensitivity can be. It's not just all about having new units, but how you put together what you already have.

That's also the reason why 20% less hitpoints is fine for the Polish Musketeer. It's a deep hole, but on the other side they're better on with their cavalry units anyway. Also the less 5 resources on food and gold where not meant to be benificial in view of giving Polish another perspective by letting them spam Musketeers (that's not the intention), they're just obligatory due to the decrease of hitpoints.

In the end the playtesting will show if 20 is too much and 15 maybe better. But it'll be something over 10% in every case. Just wait until you see what else has been worked out for Poland-Lithuania. You probably won't mind Musketeer anymore. Wink A single weak unit doesn't tell anything about the real power of a civ and a starting value is not necessarily the end of the story..

And yes, Tatar and Dragoon are both affected by these changes.

Glad you like the banner armies, was a hell of research and balancing work. ^^

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
The Dude
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject:

Pikemen look absolutely gorgeous. Spy looks pretty damn nice for a "sketch." Any chance, making him look a bit more sinister for the final version?

I love the fact artillery has different types of ammo now, ah if only AoE 3 had blood, then that screenshot would look oh so much enjoyable. lol

I do like the idea of mercenary banner armies, seems pretty unique, and I've certainly never seen it in another mod before.

-Julius Caesar

checanos
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject:

One word.....AWESOME! especially the banner armies. Although the one thing that I was a bit bugged about was the Ruyter being kicked. Will the dutch have a RG for the dragoon? The artillery is by far one of the most unique things I have ever seen Praying Smiley Thanks you for making this mod so good.

Google+YoutubeAoEIII Heaven
Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject:

I really like the new abilities for the spy but I think he looked better with the black coat.

The banner armies are very cool although I do not like that they cost a shipment or two+res. Will there be austrian and prussian banner armies as well?
roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject:

did anyone notice warwick in the first spy picture lol lol
Silmariel wrote:
I really like the new abilities for the spy but I think he looked better with the black coat.

I dont know about this. I never use or used spies, so i would always hate to see a few of them in their dang black coats nearing my town. And, the spies look more like musketeers, so if they were to go behind enemy lines, they would look more like a soldier, not standing out.

Feel free to add me.
Heavens
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Spies will become Skirmisher-type units at range ? Interesting =p.

But what do you mean when they will be less of a massable unit ? What are their new cost and train time ?

Napoleon Bonaparte
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Sweet, sweet news Cool

Can the Germans still ship mercs from their home city? If so, are the price and population cost for those shipments normal?

roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Yea i like the spy as a skirm unit. Also, mayb he means there is for example a 10 build limit Mr. Green

Feel free to add me.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Silmariel wrote:
The banner armies are very cool although I do not like that they cost a shipment or two+res. Will there be austrian and prussian banner armies as well?

They were planned, but not realized (yet?). Kinda uncertain what will happen to those.

Heavens wrote:
Spies will become Skirmisher-type units at range ? Interesting =p.

But what do you mean when they will be less of a massable unit ? What are their new cost and train time ?

Spies won't become skirmisher like units. The stats you see in the screen are still unbalanced, I only created the abilities and modes already. Not massable means they have a build limit like roy guessed correctly around 10. The costs are affordable. They have few HP which should force anybody to use them in stealth. When situation requires it though, they can fight both in melee and ranged.

SAOL wrote:
Sweet, sweet news Cool

Can the Germans still ship mercs from their home city? If so, are the price and population cost for those shipments normal?

They can, but these would be generic mercenaries shipment and not include the advantages of German banner armies. So, these would have the correct pop and resource costs.

checanos
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject:

will the Germans be able to hire local mercenaries? (saloon)

Google+YoutubeAoEIII Heaven
roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject:

checanos wrote:

they should b able 2, or else that would stink Sad

Feel free to add me.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Roy wrote:
checanos wrote:

they should b able 2, or else that would stink Sad
They already can't, which I don't find a huge problem. I think it's rather interesting with the Reichstag instead (though the idea of a Reichstag in a colony has always had me a bit sceptic ^^ ).

Tilnus wrote:
They were planned, but not realized (yet?). Kinda uncertain what will happen to those. [On banner armies for Austrian and Prussians]
I say keep the banner armies unique to the German civilization. It is a good distinction from the other Germanic civilizations. It is a nice way to display and incorporate the underlying idea of the civ as a composite, much like the city shipment cards for the "Italians". It'd be a shame to make it too much of a standard thing.

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject:

I try to see shipments as reinforcements and colonies as towns. Wink

Banner armies will be unique to the HRE, I was rather considering having banner armies that come from Prussia or Austria. Wink

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9