Modding Report #17
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject:

They lack a good bonus. Fast shipments are fine but useless if you have crappy shipments.
You only get lancers in age III and every sane player will rush spain because they do not have a possibility to beat a rush. And in normal AoE III which I was talking about lancers have x3 against infantry or x4 with a card. In NE it's pretty much the same, you simply can't afford an arsenal if you make a ff. So it's x3 as well or x4 if you have enough shipments.

To sum up: I know what there units are good for, do not tell me about the micro, tell me about the macro.
Da Bozz
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Silmariel wrote:
Well, so tell me how I shall play them. I'm really interested.

I try to get to Age 4 as fast as possible, and then use mercenaries, heavy cavalry and heavy artillery to destroy as much of my opponents units and buildings as possible. In the meanwhile, I have produced enough heavy artillery in my factory to support my last fighting units, and if the attack was successful, I activate revolution to extinguish my opponent.
If I'm not successful, then I'm turtling and wait for my opponent to attack.
Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject:

And when do you reach industrial age? Assumed you survive the rush that comes between 4:30 and 6:00. I know this strategy but that's not a normal strategy. It only works if you have luck or your enemy is a bit slow.

A ff is already risky, but a fi is extra hazardous.
Da Bozz
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Silmariel wrote:
And when do you reach industrial age? Assumed you survive the rush that comes between 4:30 and 6:00. I know this strategy but that's not a normal strategy. It only works if you have luck or your enemy is a bit slow.

While I'm aging up I'm defending myself with natives or some weaker soldiers from my HC. Normally this makes me able to reach Age 4 without any further problems.
Da Bozz
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Silmariel wrote:

While I'm aging up I'm defending myself with natives or some weaker soldiers from my HC. Normally this makes me able to reach Age 4 without any further problems.
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject:

on spain:

They are nothing special, they have few "OP-Strats". Their rush is easy counterable, their FF is good but not great, later on they loose their bonus but play rather decent anyway. However they can easily rush an unprepared player(as most civs but thier melee inf is faster at killing tha houzez), they can FF(unlike Brits), they have most units, redoleros are almost allround units(due to speed), every FF can be beaten with a rush(some are more difficult but all are possible to beat on same player level) and they lack economic downsides(apart from not having an upside^^).

On XP Trickle:
this was altered for the HRE because it is altered for the Vanilla germans. They had a worse shipment rate as there was a free set of Uhlans to every shipment. The Spanish get(slightly) worse shipments to compensate their better shipment rate, and Japanese get crappy shipments that can be sent again.
altering the Trickle or the Xp threshhold would need intence balancing.

On Prussias military(pre FWI):
The Prussian military of the time might have been not quite significant(especially as Frederick William, Elector of Brandenburg disbanded most of his troops just after his fathers death. ) but mostly it looked not much different from Swedish or Imperial military. So a classic Pikemen + Arquebusier combo is very reasonable. However already at this time there was something like a militia, it was not organized like the American Minutemen and also not quite as numberous. When Frederick William, Elector of Brandenburg was onthe way back from some silly war of someone else the swedish(with whom he was allied!!!) made an attack on Brandenburg, this caused so much Anger and Identification with the State, that the Peasants stood up and fought the Swedish. When Frederick William, Elector of Brandenburg arrived with his welldrilled troops he defeated the Swedish, after which battle some people called him "the Great Elector". It was this Great Elector that founded the Prussian spirit, he also did some other good things, like inventing Waste collection and planting trees.

On Frederick William I of Prussia.
... I'm to tired now I still have to write a paper on Luther
roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Also, i suggest, in the next Modding report, that i highly suggest Italy gets military reformations I think that the crossbowman, the only imperial-able light infantry unit they get only gets a 1.3X multiplier VS inf. I think that they should be able to get upgrades (that go much slowly) that increases it, but enough to get up to 1.7, because 80-88 atk vs heavy inf with fast rate of fire would be too op.
(ive said this before) Also, i think that a card, like the swedish card that allows hackapells and fusilers avalable to sweden and upgrades there atk, i think elmeti should be allowed in the italian military easily without risk of not getting them in saloon. Elmeti were key in italian military, and the italians are one of the weaker civs in NE, so they could use the extra bonus.
I think, the unit from wotta, redshirt should be in NE possibly. They are pretty good and meet the italy requrements, so yea...thats my italian reforms idea.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RoySOTR

Feel free to add me.
Hoop Thrower
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Italians weak? Really? I haven't played NE in a while, but I recall them having a ridiculously fast gather rate of coin and XP, so they could pull off company shipments from the HC like nobody's bussiness, so it was ridiculously easy to overwhelm your opponent with a spam of HC units...

Quote:
Work hard? No, it is a game rather than a work; interesting rather than hard.

Visit Wotta!
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject:

There may be changes to the italian roster. These have yet to be discussed in detail.
Killer30411
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject:

I can't wait until it's done.
roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Hoop Thrower wrote:
Italians weak? Really? I haven't played NE in a while, but I recall them having a ridiculously fast gather rate of coin and XP, so they could pull off company shipments from the HC like nobody's bussiness, so it was ridiculously easy to overwhelm your opponent with a spam of HC units...

i was talking about treaty, but, they have a deadly rush.

Feel free to add me.
Augustus Black
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject:

What kind of Skirmishers will The British get?
(Rogers Rangers?)
roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject:

taht would make sence, but then the church upgrade from church=useless

Feel free to add me.
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject:

There's so many possible light infantry units for the British that it'll be hard to not find any... Roger's Rangers definitely aren't the only one.

peugeot407

roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject:

lol
so true

Feel free to add me.
Augustus Black
Continental Marine
Continental Marine