Total War: Rome II
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy the new TW is going to be Rome II?
Yes, it's gonne be great!
56%
 56%  [ 17 ]
No, I wanted Empire II!
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
No, I wanted Medieval III!
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
No, I wanted something else! (Please explain)
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I really don't care, just happy there's going to be another one!
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
I don't play Total War.
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 30

The Dude
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Total War: Rome II

Ladies and Gents, I'm proud to say SEGA has announced the next Total War game, Rome II. Be sure to check in on the thread to get the latest info, and to get links to videos, and articles. (Last Updated: 7:17 PM CST, 22 July, 2012)

What We Know About Rome II

Not much has been announced yet but here's what we do know:

• Release sometime in late 2013
  • It's taking place during the time of the Roman Empire/Republic
  • Two screenshots have been released (see below)
  • A new graphics engine being used
  • A new battle engine will be used. It's still a work in progress, but we do know it will support more units on the battlefield, more camera angles, destructible environments, and probably much more.
  • Naval warfare
  • Urban Warfare on a scale we've never before seen
  • The scope Rome 2 will be the largest Total War to date, larger then Empire
  • Politics will be a major factor, and according to the Eurogamer: "The Roman republic will also be playing its own Game of Thrones, with politicians jockeying for power and influence - some, perhaps, playing that oh-so-deadly, single-seat variant of Imperial Musical Chairs..."
  • Amphibious assault (Naval battles meets Land battles)
  • Entire armies get personalities, not just the men leading them
  • Rome 2 will elevate the human "drama of war"
  • You don't govern regions, you govern provinces, each with a number of regions within them

Articles N' Stuff

Total War Rally Point #4 with two exclusive screensClick

Gamespot article regarding announcement: Click

Here is the first Official Trailer: Faces of Rome

Eurogamer had a preview of TW:R2 you can check it out: here

PC Gamer also had a preview of Rome: Click

Here are two PC Gamer Interviews One with The Lead Dev
Another with the Lead Battle Designer

A.D. MMXIII

Quo usque Romam ire?

-Julius Caesar

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Hell yeah! Great news! Can't wait Mr. Green

The trailer style reminds me a lil of the Halo videos. Gfx seem to be very nice, however, I like how they want to make it work on older machines too. On one screen you can see how a building is taken by units. Since that's been a feature since ETW, I think it'll work similarly and just look different.

Damn, makes me wanna play RTW I!

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
The Dude
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Indeed, the trailer reminds me of Halo, especially the music! Which reminds me, I've updated the main page with both the link to the trailer, and a Eurogamer article talking about an R2TW preview they had.

It's pretty damn interesting I have to say. They're adding something Total War has never really had: Politics. Apparently political allies will be as important as military ones, and their will be a good few family and internal struggles. While this sounds awesome, I hope their will be a "classic" option of the campaigns, in case you done want to deal with it. Mr. Green

I'm going to be updating the main page with article links, trailers, info, etc. as they come out.

EDIT: Updated main page

-Julius Caesar

CommanderZeta
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject:

I agree, the trailer was awesome, and I'll probably get it when it comes out, but I would have prefered something other than Rome.

I'm not big on Ancient history, I would have prefered another Medieval or Empire.
Gunther
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject:

Hopefully the naval combat will be a bit like Rise and Fall's, in that it has ramming. Smile

But I sincerely hope that they release a version that does not require Steam. I prefer to be able to play my games without Steam.

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." -Napoléon Bonaparte
"Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity." -Thor Heyerdahl
"A house divided against itself cannot stand." -Jesus and Abraham Lincoln
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject:

I had thought it would be either Rome II, Medieval III or a brand new Victoria: Total War, and while I would have prefered the latter, Rome II is a nice prospect as well. The new graphics engine sounds good, given how rubbish the ETW battle map graphics were and that even FotS couldn't match M2TW in that respect.

peugeot407

The Dude
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject:

Robert, don't be a loon, Shogun 2 was far graphically superior to Medieval 2, on both the battlefield and the campaign map. M2:TW looked great, and still looks great, but technology advances, and Shogun 2 is one of the best looking strategy games ever. I can agree that ETW's battles where just meh...

I think the only thing stopping them from a "Victoria" Total War was the fact they just did a TW in the 19th century... (then again NTW didn't take place long after ETW...)

-Julius Caesar

Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject:

Rome 2 was quite about the only thing they could've done apart from a brand new idea.

I'm rather concerned about it. the statement "It's big" istead of better explaining it does not strike me as particulary intersting, afterall the larger the map the less detailed the map and the less unit variety per faction. I hope there will be a broader faction selection than in rome 1, having to choose from unsymathetic people in red unsympathetic people in blue and unsympathetic people in green to be able to play missionless fantasy factions with one OP unit and a large bunch of really bad units did not actually please me.

I am really looking forward to Ancient naval encounters tho plus more variation within units, a feature pretty much wasted on modern or samurai armies Wink

You ask for no steam requirement I ask for modability^^

In any case It'll never beat EBII

I'll wait and see how awesome this is going to be: eiter I get it right away or I wait for an awesome deal on steam with all the overpriced DLC included Wink
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Robert, don't be a loon, Shogun 2 was far graphically superior to Medieval 2, on both the battlefield and the campaign map.

Not really... The battle map graphics have indeed become better over the years, and FotS (which was much graphically superior to Shogun 2 itself) does indeed look much, much better than ETW, but not better than M2TW yet. I'll post some screenshots to illustate later.

Spoiler:

Here you go, M2TW and ETW, both on the highest settings (even though they cripple my FPS in Empire). As you can see, there's nothing really wrong with the individual textures of Empire, but the way they're rendered is much, much worse. M2TW has a crisp, sharp and clean way of rendering, while that of ETW just produces lots and lots of blur everywhere.

What makes it even more odd is that M2TW asks way, way, way less of your graphics card, while producing a result that's just better...

Quote:
I'm rather concerned about it. the statement "It's big" istead of better explaining it does not strike me as particulary intersting, afterall the larger the map the less detailed the map and the less unit variety per faction. I hope there will be a broader faction selection than in rome 1, having to choose from unsymathetic people in red unsympathetic people in blue and unsympathetic people in green to be able to play missionless fantasy factions with one OP unit and a large bunch of really bad units did not actually please me.

I should indeed hope they've done rather better than they did in the original Rome, but there's some things that we know for certain will be gone. Since Empire there's no more Rebels, and given that most of the RTW map was filled with rebel provinces, that should mean a lot of minor civs for R2TW, which in turn make conquest far more interesting. Also, M2TW was the last game where you had to play one campaign in order to unlock others (even if it was easy to bypass it), so R2TW will likely not have it either.

As for the "big" thing, that's probably just a way to lure Americans. Mr. Green

peugeot407

roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Ive just got into the total war series, and i cant wait to play rome 2! too bad it'll be late 2013, all i knew was going to be 2013.
the trailer looked great. cant wait to play it, i still play the good ol' rome 1.

I do hope, though, you can play campaign with more than rome. even though its my fav faction, id like to play as the greeks or maybe the macedonians.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RoySOTR

Feel free to add me.
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Well, no civs have been revealed yet, but alongside several Roman civs there's bound to be at least the Cartaghinians, Gauls, Macedonians, Seleucids and Parthians that appeared in the original RTW, and perhaps even more.

peugeot407

roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject:

factions, not civs Smile
anyway, i would be suprised if they didnt include the greek cities, britania, and a few others. but the ones listed before will definity be in.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RoySOTR

Feel free to add me.
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject:

I'm personally rather curious how they include the greek cities, Gauls, Britons, Germanics and so on. Charthaginians, Parthians, Selucids and Macedon are pretty obvious. not much to do wrong there.

And I hope for Ptolemies instead of Return of the mummy Egyptians Wink
The Dude
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Not really... The battle map graphics have indeed become better over the years, and FotS (which was much graphically superior to Shogun 2 itself) does indeed look much, much better than ETW, but not better than M2TW yet. I'll post some screenshots to illustate later.

Yet you posted a pic of ETW vs. M2TW, not M2TW vs. Shogun 2/FoTS... Mr. Green

Quote:
I'm personally rather curious how they include the greek cities, Gauls, Britons, Germanics and so on.I'm personally rather curious how they include the greek cities, Gauls, Britons, Germanics and so on.

I personally think Greek Cities should be divided, while Gauls, Britons, and Germanics be united.

I'm wondering if Rome will be divided among families (like in Rome I) or you can just play as SPQR.

Quote:
And I hope for Ptolemies instead of Return of the mummy Egyptians

Aye, a flexible timeline is fun, but the Egyptians seemed just too far off. (from what I've played, haven't played too much of Rome I)

Something intresting to note, the Total War Logo, has always been a samurai on horseback. However, as seen here:
Spoiler:

It's a Roman Centurion on horseback, not a Samurai.

-Julius Caesar

Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject:

Quote:
, while Gauls, Britons, and Germanics be united.
for balance reasons? Because, gauls Britons and Germanics were even more divided than Greeks, who could at least form some goofy alliance against some baddies. There were confederations of considerable size but nothing you could call a unified faction. That being the main reason the Gauls were ... mauled^^
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject:

Because all TW games since ETW have a shitload of minor factions alongside the playable ones, I should think that Britain, Gaul and Germania will actually contain more factions than in RTW, not less.

peugeot407

PS: That is, unless I decide to play my first campaign as Epirus after all...

Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 1 of 30