Modding Report #18
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Modding Report #18

Hey there! Long time no report, not much to see this time, but some important announcements!

MODDING REPORT #18

• The Danes are coming!

It's actually not a secret anymore, but it hasn't been officialy announced yet. So, yes, it'll be in the next release. It'll be a civ with a solid economy and military. Strong mills and fishing boats, maybe a cool livestock bonus as well, not bad at wood either. Their coin production is standard and can be upped a lil by whale hunting and possibly by some other means too.

Militarily the Danes have a solid mix of professional forces and agile skirmishers. Actually they excel at naval warfare though. The Snaphane is already approved as UU, who is a quick, early skirmisher with a bonus against villagers and HI. It comes with few HP and completely sucks against cavalry units, but has 40%rr!

I'm sure lots of people will like the new civ Mr. Green

• There has been some rough AI testing against Swedish, British, Russians and Prussians. Good news: The AI is still stable!

• I and Bozz are cleaning up and restructuring some large files such as the techtree or the proto as it's simply disturbing and time-consuming to work with files that have no real order.

• There has been a little fire sounds update for muskets and rifles.

• Even though NE already has own politicians, we're trying to rework the politician system, which may result in scrapping some of them. We're trying to give them a much more tactical character as opposed to politicians such as "The Naturalist" who just sends 4 cows and gets hardly used in online matches.

I've been brainstorming with DK_BadReputation already a bit and we were making up two possible main concepts:

• Unique politicians: This system would offer maximum 2 politicians per age, but each civ would have up to 80% their own unique effects. It would extend the gameplay experience of each civ. Considering that NE has 16 civs though, this would make 32 politicians for almost each age and is thus not my favorite option.

• Standard politicians: This would be easier to produce as all civs use the same politicians. With this system you could even choose between 5 politicians per age, which would also add more tactical depth to the mod since your enemy couldn't guess as easy as before which politician you're gonna pick up. They can be used as stepping stones for the different strategies such as FF, rush or boom.

Indeed, a mix is theoretically possible, we'd have to look which politicians can be varied. It's also a question of time and energy. Since I already blamed lame politician effects such as "sending 4 cows", you can assume we'd pick new effects. Some of the facebook followers may even remember a poll! Wink

• Uhlans have lances now. The Prussians have them available as Bosniaks in Church techs. In stable you'll find a Dragoon and a Totenkopfhusar (Death Head's Hussar with new boni, 2pop, stats - basically a stronger Hussar).

• We're sensing a new concept for Italians. The current concept of Italians in 2.01 shows them as civ of merchants, clericals and businessmen. We're not going to scrap that completely, but we'll redistribute the roles and priorities.

A rough idea of the new concept can be found in this new civ description:
    Quote:
    The Italians are the mergence of three historical independent Italian states, being the Kingdom of Sardinia, the Papal States and the Republic of Venice. All boni and mali come from these states. Central elements in Italian gameplay should be cultural goods and the pope.

In this process we thought about using the Consulate to establish this system, but it's not clear yet what each of these states would offer. There won't be no Inquisitor unit and the Utili and Condottieri will be standardized into Dragoon and Chevauleger. Also the Merchant won't be the standard settler anymore as I planned new concepts for both, Merchants and Architects.

Whereas the politicial/military power of Italian states was limited after the Medieval times (which is represented by having no military UUs), they were still considered the best in fields of science and art. This will be a key element that allows Italians to compensate obvious deficits. More details will be released in the future! All the unit removals are necessary to reshape the civ, so don't confuse it with a classical nerf. Wink

• The Crossbowman will be kicked from most civs except from the Swiss, where he'll get the status of an early UU.

• Spain gets a new UU! Since they had lots of colonies and a strong navy, they were the first who created a marine corps, the Infanteria de Marina. These landing troops will be solid ranged infantry with boni vs. natives and ships. They'll be available at TPs, docks and ships.

The role of the US Marine is yet unclear, I'm eager to keep the unit though (don't worry). I've already made the first texture of it:

• The Dutch may finance their base army (Musketeers, Arquebusiers, etc.) either mainly or solely with coins. Generally I fancy the idea of altering unit costs for Dutch, cause it would allow some new military strategies and is furthermore IMHO a good way to represent the Dutch's touch for trade. But most important: The seemingly eternal and historically questionable preference of skirmishers, halberdiers and cannons of Dutch players must finally come to an end and be redefined by the mighty Chronicles of history! Cool

• I, Ca Putt and DK_BadReputation have been intensely discussing and balancing the HRE banner armies, cause we were facing different types of problem with it. For example:

The reduced pop costs, they were a feature in the beginning, but in view of balance the pop limit fooling was an undesirable effect. The army pop costs are in accordance with the original unit's pop costs now. The few trainpoints would have required huge costs, which are never attractive, so we did the inverse. So, these armies are cheapier than they'd be regularly, but you need to plan them since it takes 80 seconds now to build them.

Also, an important point for the Verlorener Haufen army (2x Doppelsöldner [Merc] + 2x Rottmeyster) was, that no one would have used it in Age 2, because the Reichstag building usually costs a lot of resources. Therefore Germans will get a Reichstag wagon they can send from their HC.

• Since I've been once announcing the Howitzer and also posting it in a forum thread, let me just repeat it for everyone, that NE will come with a new Artillery system, which could look like this:

Spoiler:

The abbreviations in "modes" stand for:
    • (S)olid shot (Round shot/Cannonball/Ball shot/) - All
    • (C)ase shot (Grapeshot [Naval]/Canister [Land]) - Units
    • (E)xplosive shot (Bomb shot/Grenade/Percussion shell (for mortars, Anti-Inf?) - ?

The + and - stands for the degree of specification.

• I've started to alter the Skirmisher design. Here a sketch for age 2 in forester style:

• Several Mercenary Booster techs have been kicked and will be replaced with one moderate tech. With these you could upgrade your Mercenaries to Elite and Imperial status which made them insanely OP. These techs were called: Elite Mercenaries (+25% hp/dmg), Imperial Mercenaries (+40% hp/dmg) and Imperial Outlaws (+50% hp/dmg).

Furthermore civ-specific Mercenary techs have been analyzed and may be altered too (i.e. the Swedish Northern Warriors or the Austrian Multinational Empire tech).

• The random names for dogs have been deleted. You can still name your explorer's dog though. Smile

Personal review: Smells like progress!

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
danielpereira
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Yay! Also Nice texture!!
Losinal
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Spain gets a new UU! Since they had lots of colonies and a strong navy, they were the first who created a marine corps, the Infanteria de Marina. These landing troops will be solid ranged infantry with boni vs. natives and ships. They'll be available at TPs, docks and ships.

I love you Tilanus, through my endless bickering, they’re finally getting marines Mr. GreenMr. GreenMr. Green

Still a thought though, is it possible to give ironclads ship names? I think you already answered this, but I forget the answer.

Da Bozz
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Losinal wrote:
Still a thought though, is it possible to give ironclads ship names? I think you already answered this, but I forget the answer.

You mean, random names for them?

It's possible, I had a little mod installed long time ago.

In the end, big chief Tilanus has to decide. Mr. Green
Losinal
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
You mean, random names for them?

It's possible, I had a little mod installed long time ago.

In the end, big chief Tilanus has to decide.

Yeah, I saw the name pools in the randomnamesy.xml. For making a list of names, is it just adding a simple header like <protounit>Ironclad under <civ>NEUnitedStates? I’m no modder of someone with any game modding experience, I wouldn’t know.

EDIT: This expansion has a total of 14 civilizations, with the Danes added, who are they going to replace? Austria? Sweden?

Hoop Thrower
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject:

Yay, Infantes de Marina! You know how I'd been campaigning for them to appear in a mod, so it's great to see them featured, and the uniform is funny and yellowy as it should be. Mr. Green
Also Danish, heh, your description ain't too... descriptive, but I guess that was intended.

Quote:
Work hard? No, it is a game rather than a work; interesting rather than hard.

Visit Wotta!
khoin1
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject:

We got howitzer now!
Heavens
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject:

Do you also intend to remove techs allowing some civilisations to train Mercenaries permanantly (for example Talgenossenschaft of the Swiss civ which allows them to train Swiss Pikemen) ?

Napoleon Bonaparte
checanos
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject:

everything sounds great except that the random dogs names will be removed Sad oh well

Google+YoutubeAoEIII Heaven
Da Bozz
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject:

checanos wrote:
everything sounds great except that the random dogs names will be removed Sad oh well

That's what I thought.

Big Boss Tilanus wrote:
I don't understand why dogs should have names. Musketeers, for example, are also not called Max and Moritz in the game.
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject:

That makes all four large mods have the Danish as a civ, which is nice. Fair enough, they're called the Vikings in K&B, but they still focus on Denmark...

peugeot407

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject:

Heavens wrote:
Do you also intend to remove techs allowing some civilisations to train Mercenaries permanantly (for example Talgenossenschaft of the Swiss civ which allows them to train Swiss Pikemen) ?

Not necessarily remove, but I'm eager to find a general solution for these techs. Either they become civ boni, become a standard tech or need to be rebalanced if they would stay a unique tech.

checanos wrote:

Random names, not the individual names! You are still able to give your dog a name, but they don't have random names by standard anymore. I added it to the post to clearify.

@khoin1: If you don't know the Howitzers from NE yet, check out Report #17! Wink

@Losinal: None of the NE civs will be replaced, we have 16 civs btw:
Spoiler:

Austrians
British
Danish
Dutch
French
Germans
Italians
Ottomans
Russians
Polish
Portuguese
Prussians
Spanish
Swedish
Swiss
UnitedStates

I need to have a look on the AI though.

Glad you like Infante de Marina!

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
caveman909
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Very impressive work, it's a pleasure to see the progress of the final NE version! About the Danish : do you have an idea how they would look like (I mean, the buildings, villagers and the ships for example) ? I'm soo excited about the final result, hopefully the team is at the end of its wonderful modd!! Mr. Green
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject:

It'll either have the Eastern or Western European set. I'm not really sure yet.
khoin1
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject:

I already read the news before, but I forgot about it. Haizzzzz, my memory is so bad these days. OP mercs who wouldn't like that? But for sure come with expensive price, too.
Losinal
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject:

This update is so buggy on my Mac, specially Safari, just look at this, heh

Spoiler:

I never seen this happen before.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4