Installing NE on Steam
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Forum Index -> Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melonfury
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Installing NE on Steam

Firstly, english is not my native language, so please be kind.

Anyways, I saw on the FAQ thread that you can't install NE on a steam version of AoE3, but I've seen a lot of comments that say otherwise.

Is it really impossible? If it isn't, could someone help me out?
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject:

I dunno if it is possible or not. R0ger Black said it wasn't possible with his installer, but it may be so that the normal installer is compatible with the steam version.

In any case it'd be great if you tried so we can find some clarity on the issue Wink

Melonfury
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Apologize my ignorance, but where can I find the regular installer then?

Thanks for the atention btw.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/napoleonic-era/downloads

You'll need to install the hotfix manually. You can find installation instructions in the FAQ topic (the "classic installer").

It'd be interesting to know in which directory AoE is installed on your computer. Since I don't know, I don't know the situation with backing up either.

Losinal
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject:

What about the File Archives section under the Installers section. I have a Mac so I don't use the same one, but can you try to download that and maybe install it the manual way?

I'm not sure if it's an automatic installer or a "All the necessary files are colour-coded and follow the read me file" style installation.

Melonfury
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject:

I'll try all that, and I'll get back on you in a sec.
As for the directory, it's on C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Age of Empires III.

Edit: When I try to install it, this happens:

[img]http://imgur.com/wX48X[/img]

I can't click on the little buttom next to the blank directory, and it says I have 0 space avaiable?

Edit2: err I don't know how to link images properly, my bad guys.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject:

I have a quick work around for you:

Rename the folder to which the installer wants to install NE. So, that should be C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III or similar.

So, if you got "Age of Empires III" as folder already, rename it to "AoE3 original" or something. The installer will then unpack only the NE files into "Age of Empires III".

If there is nothing like that, then you don't need to care, simply install it into the empty directory. After the installer is done, cut/copy all the files inside "Age of Empires III" into this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Age of Empires III

Then try to start the game and tell us what happens.

If that installer shouldn't install in any folder at all, use this one:
http://ne.elpea.net/downloads/beta/ne_beta_0201.rar

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Melonfury
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject:

That's interesting. I'll try that. I'll get back on you in a second. Thank you!

Edit: Sorry about the delay. I'm back, and the other installer just doesn't work, it says invalid director because well like the image I posted before, it was blank so it wouldn't advance when I clicked next. I'm gonna try the installer you linked.

Edit2: well, same thing happened: http://i.imgur.com/fiouf.png
I can't click to choose a directory, and it says I have 0 space avaiable. This is so frustrating, can anyone help?

Edit3: Tried everything. Same thing over and over. It says I have 0 space, can't select a folder, can't install. Sad
R0gerBlack
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject:

I think Tilanus didn't understand your issue. But I did.

The installer (also the normal) reveals automatically the directory of the game in a string of the System Registry. It doesn't find it because it's saved in another key. I think I will correct it in the next release but I need to verify it with one who has AoE on Steam. Who is interested just contact me in MP. I'll need to use TeamViewer.
Melonfury
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Thank you R0gerBlack! I'm glad you're gonna adress the issue.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject:

btw R0ger, you should really allow people to choose the directory freely and don't require an AoE3 install.

Melonfury
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Yea, I think if that was an option my problems would be solved easily, right? I could just do what Tilanus said earlier. Not sure tho.
R0gerBlack
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodor wrote:
btw R0ger, you should really allow people to choose the directory freely and don't require an AoE3 install.

A perfect installer doesn't allow to make anything manually, because so it's safer for the users. If you do it on an empty folder, there could be some unmanaged bugs which wouldn't make a perfect installation and uninstallation..

The folder must be that of AoE. And seen that for now AoE can be installed only normally or with Steam, I think I won't let anyone to choose the directory manually yet. It would be useless. Why to choose it if can be revealed automatically?

And in more, for now it seems not to work on cracked AoE ^^
Melonfury
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Do you think it's gonna take a lot of work to make it work on a Steam version of AoE? I'm not rushing you or anything, take your time of course.
R0gerBlack
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject:

No, it won't take much time.

Anyway, you should be able to use the tool if you do this

http://www.ne.elpea.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=537&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=432

I think to know why now the tool doesn't find TAD. you have just to replace "ProgramFiles" in "Program Files" and it should work.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject:

R0gerBlack wrote:
Tilanus Commodor wrote:

A perfect installer doesn't allow to make anything manually, because so it's safer for the users. If you do it on an empty folder, there could be some unmanaged bugs which wouldn't make a perfect installation and uninstallation..

No. The best software always offers users a choice for unexpected cases, situations and needs. It's not helpful to pretend your work is perfect - just like Apple does - if it potentially isn't (which you can never preclude). Someting is only perfect as long as it doesn't fail and you can never avoid these cases fully. Reality proves that too restrictive programs are crap when it comes to usability.

So a perfect installer only suggests the best directory, but it still leaves the option to put files into another directory if it is needed (and it would be needed in a case like this one). Your installer is unable to put out any files if it doesn't find a suitable directory. A better installer would at least give me the files, so that I can move them manually if the situation requires it.

Quote:
The folder must be that of AoE. And seen that for now AoE can be installed only normally or with Steam, I think I won't let anyone to choose the directory manually yet. It would be useless. Why to choose it if can be revealed automatically?

And in more, for now it seems not to work on cracked AoE ^^

It's not useless, just read what I wrote. Your installer wasn't made for steam, cause you simply didn't expect it. Now, imagine your installer would have allowed other directories, then Melonfury could have used the extracted files to copy them manually over his Steam copy of AoE3 to test it.
It's just a essential principle of software/interface design and usability. I'm a game design student, if I know something very well, then it's about concepting programs with a high usability. And considering unexpected cases is a must for every software developer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Technical Support All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2