Is the Age of Empires series dead?
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLittleBastard
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Is the Age of Empires series dead?

What has Robot Entertainment been doing after Ensemble Studios closed down? Why has it been nearly six years since 3 was released, that there has been no word on 4? What's keeping them back? I'm surprised considering how popular this series was and now it's dead in the water with nothing more than a studio producing other games no one cares about.
Mr_Jr
Fusilier
Fusilier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject:

Well I guess there was Age of Empires Online, I have not tried it yet, I've seen videos and images, it kind of reminds of Age of Mythology, but perhaps it may not be the same as it once was, especially with the advent, common use of achievements and optional purchases/DLC.

Personally, I tend to prefer waiting for a sequel to release, it kind of tends to feel more special to me when they take their time to make a sequel, and or/expansion, to a pretty good game. Sometimes, I feel like a sequel may come to soon at times.

Now it may sound like an unfortunate thing to say, but I do not expect a 4 to be released, again I say this personally. With the end of Ensemble Studios, I think the golden age of the "Age of" games may be fleeting, as much I may not like to say that. From now on, I think we could towards mod and scenarios to expand our enjoyment of Age of Empires 3 and the other "Age of" games. Although if remnants of the former company or any were to make a great, formal sequel to Age of Empires 3 or Age of Mythology, that would be great anyway.
Hoop Thrower
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject:

So far they've released both Orcs must die and Orcs must die2, and they'd been pretty succesful, so yeah, I don't see another age of empires game coming...

Quote:
Work hard? No, it is a game rather than a work; interesting rather than hard.

Visit Wotta!
checanos
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject:

we should write them a letter lol

Google+YoutubeAoEIII Heaven
Losinal
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject:

O yeah, the Age of Empires series is dead. No more releases are going to be out, and Age of Empires Online looks to much of a damn Facebook game for me. I can't see a new Age of Empires being released that contains modern warships (AKA Destroyers, cruisers, battleships) as well as airplanes (Which includes the biplanes, World War 2 style planes, early and modern jet fighters) and modern soldiers. You're not going to have modern soldiers in kevlar, advanced combat suits, and carrying assault rifles marching into combat in lines like Age of Empires 2 and 3 had (I would include Age of Empires 1, but you'd be lucky to have your soldiers in a line for more than a second). So in my opinion, this game series is dead.

roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject:

you fools. this is Aoe 4. Its been dead for quite some time, its in the fans hands to handle it now.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RoySOTR

Feel free to add me.
The Dude
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Before everyone starts bashing AoE: O I hope they realize it's free...

But anyway, if I recall correctly, Microsoft had job listings on their page to apparently "assist in any future development of the Age of Empires franchise."

-Julius Caesar

Losinal
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Dude, the next era that Age of Empires can possibly go to is the late 19th/early 20th century to the end of World War 2. You honestly think that Microsoft would have you playing as Nazis? And besides, if they were to make future developments in Age of Empires, there's too much nations and civilizations to make that would make each one unique. If you played Age of Empires 2, then you should realize that with a lot of nations and civilizations, you're not getting much uniqueness to each one.

Also with the game mechanics Microsoft has, there's no way they can make a new game. As an example, was there a difference between the mechanics in Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and 3? No. It was the same game with a different story. I don't believe Microsoft can put in 360 degree turrets on ships, or have an engine that will have planes grounded when not used. Too much is needed to make a game like that.

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject:

The Dude wrote:
Before everyone starts bashing AoE: O I hope they realize it's free...

But anyway, if I recall correctly, Microsoft had job listings on their page to apparently "assist in any future development of the Age of Empires franchise."

It's not free, everything except the first few missions costs. And it's shit.
roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Aoe is dead. this is the ONLY content your going to get. anyway, i would NOT like an age of empires past 1700's. Wotta is a great one, but goes to far.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RoySOTR

Feel free to add me.
Killzerslaul
The Ancient Age
The Ancient Age

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Losinal wrote:
Dude, the next era that Age of Empires can possibly go to is the late 19th/early 20th century to the end of World War 2. You honestly think that Microsoft would have you playing as Nazis?

personally I think if there is a new Age of Empires it will be a remake of 2.
there's no reason they have to do it in chronological order. Age of Empires Online covers the same timespawn as AoE1 despite being 4 games later in the series.
also please note that there are plenty of games on the market right now that let you play as Nazi Germany - and that Nazi Germany only existed for 20 of the 200 years between Age of Empires 3's setting and the present.

Quote:
And besides, if they were to make future developments in Age of Empires, there's too much nations and civilizations to make that would make each one unique. If you played Age of Empires 2, then you should realize that with a lot of nations and civilizations, you're not getting much uniqueness to each one.

wait, what? the increasing uniqueness in the AoE series is budget and technology related, not to do with number of civs. I think once you've added up all the expansions the number of civs in AoE1, AoE2 and AoE3 isn't massively different, but still the civs are more unique the newer the game gets.

there wouldn't necessarily be that many civs in a 19th or 20th century game. Britain, France, Germany, Russia, Japan, USA, probably Austria depending on the timeframe, Italy if you're feeling generous and, well, that's about it. I would represent all the others as "minor civs" of some kind.
It is worth noting however that the "units" in WW2 were all very similar. Everyone had infantry, tanks, planes, ships. I think having mostly shared units with a couple of uniques each, as in AoE3, would be fine for a World War game. but I still think a game with an earlier setting makes more sense and if AoEO is anything to go by, MS agrees with me. ^^

Quote:
Also with the game mechanics Microsoft has, there's no way they can make a new game. As an example, was there a difference between the mechanics in Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and 3? No. It was the same game with a different story.

what? I'm confused. The same could be said about very many sequels, but that doesn't stop them being good games and it doesn't stop them bein "new" - it just stops them being "revolutionary". Since nobody is asking for a "revolutionary" sequel I don't see what the issue is here.

Quote:
I don't believe Microsoft can put in 360 degree turrets on ships, or have an engine that will have planes grounded when not used. Too much is needed to make a game like that.

actually, that stuff wouldn't be difficult at all to implement. tons of games out right now have independently firing weapons on large vehicles and there are also many RTS games that have interesting game mechanics for aircraft. (often in these games aircraft are launched from a building where they return to land or refuel, but having aircraft be able to land anywhere on the ground wouldn't be a significant technical challenge for any real development studio)
try to do some research before you make such sweeping statements about what game developers can and can't do. (I may as well mention here, it's not actually Microsoft who develops the AoE games, it's whichever development studio they pay to)
Losinal
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject:

I never said that my comment is 100% true in term of what Microsoft and other game companies can do. That was merely my opinion on it. Even if Microsoft does do a new Age of Empires that introduces modern weaponry, then it isn't going to be what Age of Empires currently is. It's going to be a large, graphics taxing game that only people with moderate to good computers can play.

As for the comment on remaking Age of Empires 1 and 2, no, just no. They're fine as they are. Also if they would remake it. It's only going to become a Medieval or Classical version of Age of Empires 3.

Killzerslaul
The Ancient Age
The Ancient Age

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Losinal wrote:
I never said that my comment is 100% true in term of what Microsoft and other game companies can do. That was merely my opinion on it.

and I am entitled to dispute your opinion. There is not a lot of point in posting on a forum like this if you do not want the points you make to be discussed.

Quote:
Even if Microsoft does do a new Age of Empires that introduces modern weaponry, then it isn't going to be what Age of Empires currently is. It's going to be a large, graphics taxing game that only people with moderate to good computers can play.

it's true, that if AoE4 is ever created it will be more graphically advanced and need a better computer than AoE3, just like any sequel. I don't see why this is anything to object to. Having to upgrade or replace your computer to play newer games and to run newer software is a fact of life.

Especially if we look at AoEO, I don't think there's a lot of reason to think that AoE4 would attempt to be significantly bigger or more mainstream than previous Age games. It's unfortunately quite a high possibility that it would have the nasty MMO style progression and social game aspects like AoEO, which I think is more what is killing AoE as we know it than growing scope or a lack of good settings that haven't already been used.

Quote:
As for the comment on remaking Age of Empires 1 and 2, no, just no. They're fine as they are. Also if they would remake it. It's only going to become a Medieval or Classical version of Age of Empires 3.

I don't see how. If you play AoE Online you will see that it is not a lot like AoE3. I don't think MS is particularly obsessed with Age3; the engine for AoEO seems to be completely new and when I played the game it reminded me more of AoM than AoE3. and of course, the whole MMO focus of AoEO makes it an entirely different thing from AoE3. (although not really in a good way)
PowerFusion50
Fusilier
Fusilier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject:

The original AOE series is probably technically dead, but it will never be dead to me. I have just recently purchased the first two games (plus expansions) and the complete set of AOE III. I love all the games and will always play them. I also own and love Age of Mythology (plus expansion). I play all the different games and think they are all awesome.

I know there is AOE Online, which I tried at one point awhile back, but it is in my opinion much duller than the original games. Your kingdom doesn't actually advance in age, you advance in missions and then go back to your standard kingdom, if I am not mistaken. Nonetheless, it was nothing compared to even the original AOE game without ROR. I will always play all the games.

You know what. I really wish they would do Age of Empires IV. If they contiunued their trend, it would be set in more or less modern time. The player would play through the World Wars and use the buildings, equipment, and civilizations of that era. I think that that has a lot of potential to be great, but I doubt any gaming company will take up the project.
Killzerslaul
The Ancient Age
The Ancient Age

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject:

PowerFusion50 wrote:
The original AOE series is probably technically dead, but it will never be dead to me. I have just recently purchased the first two games (plus expansions) and the complete set of AOE III. I love all the games and will always play them. I also own and love Age of Mythology (plus expansion). I play all the different games and think they are all awesome.

Unfortunately, Windows support for older games & software isn't particularly good so it's completely possible that Windows 8 or 9 will not run AoE3. :/

Quote:
I know there is AOE Online, which I tried at one point awhile back, but it is in my opinion much duller than the original games. Your kingdom doesn't actually advance in age, you advance in missions and then go back to your standard kingdom, if I am not mistaken. Nonetheless, it was nothing compared to even the original AOE game without ROR. I will always play all the games.

you have to unlock the ages as you level up your main city. I think it wouldn't be too bad playing the skirmish mode (where everything is unlocked same as in past AoE games) but that was one of the paid add-ons and I never tried it.

Quote:
You know what. I really wish they would do Age of Empires IV. If they contiunued their trend, it would be set in more or less modern time. The player would play through the World Wars and use the buildings, equipment, and civilizations of that era. I think that that has a lot of potential to be great, but I doubt any gaming company will take up the project.

I don't think a world war or modern game would be that good. The differences between units for different civs would be superficial, and new features like artillery and planes would either be poorly implemented or completely overhaul AoE. I think remaking AoE1 was a fine idea, but MS screwed up when they decided they wanted a social game.
Da Bozz
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Let's do a kickstarter campaign! lol
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11