Is the Age of Empires series dead?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Do you think it would get that much support, if we did it? Are we even allowed to? lol
(Theoretically, of course)
Da Bozz
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Harkimo wrote:
Do you think it would get that much support, if we did it? Are we even allowed to? lol

No, we aren't allowed. Razz

But Microsoft didn't declare AoE dead, and I'm pretty sure that they will make a sequel. They said that they maybe will male one in the future. I think that was last year.
Killzerslaul
The Ancient Age
The Ancient Age

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Da Bozz wrote:
Harkimo wrote:

No, we aren't allowed. Razz

But Microsoft didn't declare AoE dead, and I'm pretty sure that they will make a sequel. They said that they maybe will male one in the future. I think that was last year.

the problem is that Ensemble no longer exists, and Robot, who seem to have all of Ensemble's decent staff* and *probably* would have made a good AoE4 had MS not decided to make an MMO, appear to be going indie and distancing themselves from Microsoft. So, with the developers who made AoE great gone, any future AoE games will be AoEO2, not AoE4.

*If you look at the other Ensemble successor companies, they all either made casual games then got bought by Zynga, or in the case of one guy, failed on their own and went to work for Robot.
The Dude
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Who knows, maybe Microsoft can get a different developer to work on the next AoE. Maybe Robot will make the next AoE. We don't know, and it's all just pure speculation.

I think though, at this point, it's safe to say the "Original Trilogy" is dead. They can't go any further in the future, as it just wouldn't be AoE anymore. But, it's also safe to say, the Age of Empires franchise is still alive and kicking, and it seems to be doing fairly well for itself with AoE:O. The Empire of Microsoft is pleased and sees that there is still interest in the series, which is a great thing.

-Julius Caesar

Da Bozz
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject:

The Dude wrote:
Who knows, maybe Microsoft can get a different developer to work on the next AoE. Maybe Robot will make the next AoE. We don't know, and it's all just pure speculation.

I think though, at this point, it's safe to say the "Original Trilogy" is dead. They can't go any further in the future, as it just wouldn't be AoE anymore. But, it's also safe to say, the Age of Empires franchise is still alive and kicking, and it seems to be doing fairly well for itself with AoE:O. The Empire of Microsoft is pleased and sees that there is still interest in the series, which is a great thing.

Or they do a remake including all three parts (remember the content of Empire Earth?), which would be extremely fine.
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject:

And extremely demanding Razz
Da Bozz
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Harkimo wrote:
And extremely demanding Razz

For Microsoft? You sure bro? lol
Kavalergard
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Well you have to remember it was about 6 years between the release dates of AoE2 and 3, so its not far fetched if they are waiting, and why shouldn't they? Microsoft is probably using the wait and see approach. The director of Games for Windows said himself that Microsoft is not done with the AoE series. They probably are keeping it in their back pockets until they can figure out how to get the next "edge". (Afterall AoE3 was fairly groundbreaking in its time, you have to admit). Also, they won't develop a game centered around any world war. Company of Heroes is the best WW2 rts out there and it cannot be matched. Chances are Microsoft will go for a revamp of one of their previous games ( la Total War) but God only knows when this will be.

Until then I still play AoE3 on a regular basis and still get a lot of enjoyment out of it, so I'm content with waiting. Smile
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Well, today, AoE III could be done in a year, most likely.
sufjanfan
Gatling Gun
Gatling Gun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject:

This game is probably the closest you'll get to the next AoE (it started as a mod for AoE2). I tried it out, and for a game in its Alpha stage it's doing extremely well. AoE:O, on the other hand, looks overpriced and boring to me.
Kavalergard wrote:
Well you have to remember it was about 6 years between the release dates of AoE2 and 3, so its not far fetched if they are waiting, and why shouldn't they?

It has already been six years, and I think the fact that AoE:O exists is proof enough that the Age of Empires series we used to know is dead.

[/quote]
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject:

More so even, those six years also included AoM, which to all intents and purposes is part of the Age of Empires series.

peugeot407

Killzerslaul
The Ancient Age
The Ancient Age

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject:

sufjanfan wrote:
AoE:O, on the other hand, looks overpriced and boring to me.

yep, completely free is really quite expensive. yes, you do have to pay for a lot of the civs and singleplayer skirmish mode, but I think if you add it up the cost:content ratio is much the same as AoE3 and expansions.
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject:

The upside however is that It's possible to get the full stuff for little investment. Just now I have all the premium stuff you can get at large(not all the vanity and item stuff just all civs and all booster packs) for an initial investment of ... I think it was like 10 euro, maybe 15. there are however people, stupid people who on release bought greeks and egyptians for 30 or so euro and now whine about how unfair it is(while still having less premium stuff than me Mr. Green )

I really think I'm quite lucky about age of empires prices. considering I got my copy of Aoe3 on the first day for 30 instead of 50 euro.

And once you stop considering realism, or accuracy a goal of the game It's also quite enjoyable. Comparable to 300, once you compare it to batman or spiderman and not Troy or with fire and sword it actually is quite fun.
sufjanfan
Gatling Gun
Gatling Gun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject:

I like my games flavoured with realism. It forces the developers to come up with creative new ideas to balance gameplay without distorting history beyond a certain point.
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject:

It's not like aoe 1 + 2(or 3 for that matter). really were much more realistic, with AoeO it's just more obvious^^ and less well concealed.

When I want to play an historically accurate game I play Total war games, or better yet Mods for Total war games Mr. Green or mods for Mount and blade.
The Dude
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
singleplayer skirmish mode

Actually, when Skirmish launched, it was free for about a month or two.

-Julius Caesar

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11