Is the Age of Empires series dead?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onfiregun
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject:

i suppose they could go further on... I mean the European powers did settle Africa after they did the Americas. So that would be about as far as they could go...but it would probably resemble aoe3 too much. but there always is the idea for an aoe2 remake lol
checanos
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject:

or they could always do themed aoe4 like "lord of the rings" or "star wars"

Google+YoutubeAoEIII Heaven
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Noo.... There was Halo Wars for futurism.

Hoop Thrower
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject:

I actually believe an AoM2 would be amazing, they simply left lots of room to explore in the first game, if they changed the setting to be more medieval it would be amusing, I dont know though how they could make euro factions different from one another...

I'm more surprised though at the fact that everyone fails to realize AoEO is the new age of empires game, they already made a remake of an old one, wether you like it or not...

Quote:
Work hard? No, it is a game rather than a work; interesting rather than hard.

Visit Wotta!
onfiregun
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject:

Hoop Thrower wrote:
I actually believe an AoM2 would be amazing, they simply left lots of room to explore in the first game, if they changed the setting to be more medieval it would be amusing, I dont know though how they could make euro factions different from one another...

probably the best idea posted on this thread so far...
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I actually believe an AoM2 would be amazing
my opinion aswell. I'd also buy Age of Kings 2 tho that would cause some naming problems^^
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject:

Age of Kings was only ever a subtitle, the game was called simply Age of Empires II, so Age of Kings II would seem quite unlikely...

peugeot407

Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject:

I know however "Age of Empires 2 Redux" is an even sillier title. As I said, naming would be an issue. Unless offcource they are stupid enough to make it all AoEO ish, in that case it could simply be called AoEO2.
onfiregun
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject:

i see nothing wrong with the name "Age of Empires II: Age of Kings II" simple, and straight to the point that it's a remake of aoe2
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject:

Yes, but it wouldn't be Age of Empires II, would it? It'd be Age of Empires IV: Age of Kings II.

peugeot407

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject:

Hm, thread title and discussion seem to differ ..

I think what we can't expect is another antiquity game and neither a early modern time game due to AoE3. Most likely seems to be a new Medieval game, at least if the developers keep the usual "distance". So I agree on AoM2, that looks more probable in my eyes than a remake of AoE2. I'm all the way excited for what it'll be. To be honest, I even think AoM2 offers - for the branch - most chances to be "revitalized", not in the sense of reincarnation (because as a matter of fact the branch and neither the scene isn't dead), but rather as a come back to the international stage.

In the public reception AoE3 and AoEO kinda flopped, even though I think they had a greater income than once with AoE1, AoM or AoE2.

AoM2 would be a chance, because mythological beings always offer cool features, whereas real history is limited. At AoE3 you can see how much they wanted to make a new game without losing too much of the original spirit and they "failed" to a notable extent. So, the setting is easier to handle IMHO to make a cool game.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject:

Well the discussion has gone to "the next Aoe should be..." which is sorta an answer to the topic.

Quote:
, whereas real history is limited.
That did not stop them in the past ;D.
However what annoyed me most about AoE3 was that they removed all the funny triggers from the editor, like scale unit... also that while investing time in removing those did not seem to give them the time to update the modify protounit effect. :/

Quote:
In the public reception AoE3 and AoEO kinda flopped, even though I think they had a greater income than once with AoE1, AoM or AoE2.
very true, It's like with movies: while Pirates of the Carribean 1 is the most popular of the series it also is the one that earned least money...
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject:

You keep saying AoE3 flopped, but I'd dare doubt that... Fair enough, it wasn't the best-selling game of the century, but it wasn't half bad either. Normally, a game would only be considered a flop if the studio that made it didn't make a profit out of it, and as far as I'm aware, ES didn't lose money on AoE3.

peugeot407

Alexastor
NE Royal Pioneer
NE Royal Pioneer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject:

An AoM2 would be nice, but it would be rebranded (like the Nintendo DS version) to Age of Empires: Mythologies 2.

A new Age game is only a matter of time.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Ca Putt wrote:

Quote:
, whereas real history is limited.
That did not stop them in the past ;D.

Hehe, true! What I was referring to is the potential usage of exaggeration as stylistic device to add an appealing look and mechanical variation to a game to raise its popularity.

peugeot407 wrote:
You keep saying AoE3 flopped, but I'd dare doubt that... Fair enough, it wasn't the best-selling game of the century, but it wasn't half bad either. Normally, a game would only be considered a flop if the studio that made it didn't make a profit out of it, and as far as I'm aware, ES didn't lose money on AoE3.

I said "in the public reception". They did sell more copies, but this is no good argument to assert it was more successful. Success is relative.

You can't compare the number of sold copies today with the number of sold copies a decade ago. The market for games was growing since then, so, having sold more copies than years ago with AoE2 or AoE1 is no surprise. Set in relation to the market's growth and the increased amount of customers, however, the hard cold number of sold AoE3 copies begins to melt.
I dare to say AoE2 was and is probably still more popular among gamers than AoE3 ever was. You just need to have a look on the number and size of AoE3 communities compared to AoE2 ones. In that concern I tend to say, AoE2 "survived" AoE3, even though AoE3 is still alive.

For me there is more than one type of "flop". Mainly there is the financial flop, that's the scenario you described and there is a popularity flop. AoE3 was of the second kind IMO.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
CommanderZeta
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject:

I know one of my teachers at school likes AoE2 a lot more than he does AoE3 (he could never really get into it), and I think he might still play it if he had some free time. I could certainly understand AoE2 being far more popular among fans.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11