Digital Frolicking or "Games"
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Digital Frolicking or "Games"

Apparently we don't have a general thread about games. I thought we did, but I can't find it. So here's one. A thread for those smaller things that do not call for or deserve a thread of their own.

--------

So, for starters! A few days ago I fell into temptation and actually pre-ordered Sim City 5. As such I got an invitation to play the closed beta two days ago, and I did. Yesterday.

It was only a tutorial and one hour of free play before it was locked down (after a zombie invasion killed all the inhabitants in the city). Not very much, but enough for me to be content with my decision to buy it.

It seems really good, and it was an enjoyable hour. Not only does it look pretty good, but the menu system, budget panels and data layers have been, in my opinion, greatly improved from earlier Sim City titles. It's also really quite practical that everything flows with the road network. Though for those who loved to lay down the water pipes (which I always hated) I suppose it is a loss.

Managing the economy has become both a bit easier and more interesting at the same time, I think. Instead of building an expensive building with massive overcapacity and strangling the budget, you now start with a smaller building and expand it by adding modules. Each building and module has a fixed expense, so you don't have to search around the map and make incremental adjustments to the budget constantly. On the other hand "upgrading" a building isn't free - there is a cost to building things - and it obviously becomes bigger as well. In turn, that means you almost have to plan even more than before - you have to make sure you have enough money to invest in building new classrooms or wind turbines when you need them, and you need to make sure you have enough room to expand the building.

So from what I've seen so far I certainly can recommend it to those who enjoy these type of games. Smile

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Sim City? What is the goal of the game? That's the problem I have with these kind of games - there's so much order required for little goal/gain.
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject:

why not Simtower ^^

peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject:

As long as it doesn't crash as often as SC4, I'll be pleased. Mr. Green

peugeot407

Alexastor
NE Royal Pioneer
NE Royal Pioneer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Sim City is too much a sandbox game for me. I prefer games like the Anno or Settlers (or Caesar) series.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Harkimo wrote:
Sim City? What is the goal of the game? That's the problem I have with these kind of games - there's so much order required for little goal/gain.
What, you need a fanfare and a placard to feel gratified?

The goal is whatever you want it to be. The journey, the process and the administration are goals and gains in themselves. It's much more interesting and dynamic than running around and shooting at people any day of the week. And it's not super-easy either.

Peugeot wrote:
As long as it doesn't crash as often as SC4, I'll be pleased.
It probably won't. Razz Though I have to say the load times were quite long.

The Dude
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject:

Anyone here know which Sims 3 expansions are good, and which are crap?

Haven't played much of the Sims 3, despite owning it for more than a year. I did play a lot of Sims 2 back in the day, so I know expansion packs add a lot of shiz. But damn, they're like 30 USD a piece. Were they always this expensive? I'd normally get the one's that are most appealing to me, Supernatural (what can I say, I'm a sucker for folk tales), and World Adventures, but given the price point, and my inexperience with Sims 3, I want to be bit more cautious with my purchase. (even though I'm waiting until the Spring Steam Sale)

Also, what in the fuck is "Katy Perry's Sweet Treats?" lol

-Julius Caesar

peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't go for any of the Stuff Packs, and go for the actual expansions themselves. World Adventures, Pets and Seasons are probably the ones to go for if you just want the crux of the extra features added by the expansion packs. Late Night and Ambitions are okay, Generations and Showtime aren't really worth bothering with.

peugeot407

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject:

While I had all expansion packs for Sims 1, I never bought any for the Sims 2 or 3.

When I bought sims 3 Ambitions was included. From what I can tell it was a relatively pointless pack, at least compared to what most of the Sims 1 XP's brought.

There are of course descriptions of what's included in each pack. Why don't you simply look at those and decide for what looks the most appealing.

In general I'm especially annoyed with the sort of in-game purchases they push for in 3. The base number of items is pretty shoddy, and then they show you a few extra ones that you have to pay for. Have some online store from where you can download stuff, fine. But don't advertise in my game.

But then it's EA, disliked by many. The Sim City 5 launch has been dubbed one of the most disastrous launches in gaming history (as it was completely impossible to play), and as a result the game was well under way to become the worst rated product ever on Amazon.com. But hey, at least I get a free game from it as compensation.

peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Oh no, you can do much worse, especially if your company is called Codemasters. Get this: Race Driver: GRID did not even want to start up for most players, so after a month, they came up with patch 1.1, which did solve the issue. About two months later they came up with patch 1.2, which brought it back. Mr. Green

peugeot407

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps, though that is not even mentioned in the Wiki article as far as I can see. Also, SC is arguably a much more high profile release, which matters.

I can see why it is a bit unnerving for people to have to rely on their internet connection in what still primarily is a single player game. Especially since there is no save button, and you get thrown out if your connection is unstable.

Wojtek
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject:

I think that everyone has kind of "minor" games he likes to play when he's fed up with "major" games like AoE3. I also have one. It's name is kurka wodna, meaning 'a small water hen" lol. Your task is to shoot as many water ducks as possible. You have to hurry because there's a time limit and you have to collect a number of points before you can proceed. Here's a sample of a gameplay session:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JchYBOxNrAg
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject:

I was actually thinking of buying sim city now lol I saw the Yogscast play it, and it looked kinda good Razz

You think I could buy it from Blocket, SAOL?
Wojtek
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject:

OOOOH! You play the Sims!!!!! I've been a sims fan since its very beginning! Woooow! Surprised

The Dude, I can tell you everything about sims. It seems we'll have a conversation about sims (of course in Polish!). Topmodel
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Wojtek wrote:
I think that everyone has kind of "minor" games he likes to play when he's fed up with "major" games like AoE3. I also have one. It's name is kurka wodna, meaning 'a small water hen" lol. Your task is to shoot as many water ducks as possible. You have to hurry because there's a time limit and you have to collect a number of points before you can proceed. Here's a sample of a gameplay session:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JchYBOxNrAg
I play mine sweeper on those occasions. It's at least a bit intellectually taxing.

Quote:
You think I could buy it from Blocket, SAOL?
Since it is with all likelihood bound to a single account, probably not.

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject:

You could buy an account, though.
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12