Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
You know what, maybe I should buy it for you after the sale is over and pay full price. Just to tease you.
That would be quite agoniszing indeed, please under no circumstances do that Mr. Green

Quote:

Seriously though, if you're so unsure you might just as well wait. If you don't feel like you're missing it now you probably won't in a week either.
yeah, I skipped it. Let's see if EB 2 is released before I played though Hegemony.

I'm not sure if I like the new look, however I'm pretty sure I don't care enough to be upset.^^
the Status bar Icon works fine for me, both Win7 and linux, yet again I never had that problem. Did you check if it's a common issue?
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

Humble bundle is selling CK2 and some other neat stuff (AoE 2+3 bundle ^^) right now, might take a look at getting Crusader Kings at least.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Ca Putt wrote:
That would be quite agoniszing indeed, please under no circumstances do that
If only I had more money... Devil

Quote:
I'm not sure if I like the new look, however I'm pretty sure I don't care enough to be upset.^^
the Status bar Icon works fine for me, both Win7 and linux, yet again I never had that problem. Did you check if it's a common issue?
The new look isn't that much different from the old look. I've never been in love with the Steam application though, looks or general behaviour.

I'm guessing it is blurry because it doesn't properly support display scaling. A pretty dumb thing to ignore in 2014 Rolling Eyes

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Hey Putt, I just saw you playing Hegemony Rome, but I didn't really want to disturb you so I thought I'd ask here instead... What was your impression of the game? It looks pretty interesting.
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject:

It's pretty epic, but quite unfinished. It crashes all the time. There are also some conceptual flaws that I hope they will correct. I'm still quite happy with my purchase.
Did you play Hegemony gold?

On an even more epic note:

EUROPABARBARORUM II HAS BEEN RELEASED!!!!

Boy am I happy I worked* overtime the last two weeks Mr. Green

*you know, work work. As in money.
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Aight, thnx.

In other news, I finished the second season of The Walking Dead today. Completely nerve-wrecking, I'll tell you. I don't think I've played a better game.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject:

The first computer game I really played to an extent, apart from AoE II, was the Sims. Now the fourth version of this the world's most successful computer game franchise is out.

I saw some videos and it certainly looks nice, but it seems to me that they've put more focus on the things I'm not typically very interested in. As with most other games I play I focus on maximizing return and building. In other words I drill the sims hard to make ever more money so I can build a bigger house.

Now they're talking even more about emotion and all of that mushy-wushy stuff you don't ever have time for unless you want your sims unemployed. Also, they seem to have somewhat de-emphasized the building aspect, with the plopping down of entirely ready made rooms.

Even so, I'm a bit intrigued, for sentimental reasons if not else. I have both Monday and Tuesday off, and I haven't received any literature to study yet, so perhaps...

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject:

I saw a review 'bout it. He (Robbaz if you're interested) said it wasn't really worthwhile if you already have Sims 3, since they've simplified a lot of stuff (and removed pools).

I actually liked the original Sims the best. It was not as huge, but it had the most sandbox-like structure, which I liked.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject:

Yah... I kind of agree. In the original one it was also somehow easier to torture your sims in all kind of ways. Somehow they've becomes a little too life like to make it fun to lock them in a room and burn them to death or something.

If they've removed pools it's probably only so they can add them in with a DLC or expansion. After all they pretty much pioneered the concept of extreme amounts of add-ons.

While some things have been simplified it's not without benefits. The ability of sims to multitask, for instance, would make a big difference.

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
While some things have been simplified it's not without benefits. The ability of sims to multitask, for instance, would make a big difference.

Indeed. It's another of EA's characteristics, though: they dumb down games to make them appeal to a larger audience who don't care as much (and won't complain) as the fans of the series.

Quote:
If they've removed pools it's probably only so they can add them in with a DLC or expansion. After all they pretty much pioneered the concept of extreme amounts of add-ons.

I also heard toddlers were gone from the game as a life stage.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Indeed. It's another of EA's characteristics, though: they dumb down games to make them appeal to a larger audience who don't care as much (and won't complain) as the fans of the series.
In this case though, it would seem silly, since the Sims (as far as I know) still is the most successful gaming franchise of all time. There isn't an example of a game which has appealed to a wider audience, so dumbing it down in order to achieve it - when the game has been successful in being complex - seems counter productive.

I did buy it a play it a bit. My verdict would be that it actually is an improvement, despite also being a regression in some way. They've clearly renewed and improved on a lot of things which remained fairly static between the Sims 2 and the Sims 3. While it's annoying that some things are missing (like a dishwasher - hello!) it's overall a good foundation to stand on.

Random question: do you have a steering wheel accessory for your computer?

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject:

I had one for my PS2, but that's off to my uncle lol I'm considering getting a new one, but it's not really high on my list. I usually rock my controller for games where I might have use of a wheel.

Quote:
In this case though, it would seem silly, since the Sims (as far as I know) still is the most successful gaming franchise of all time. There isn't an example of a game which has appealed to a wider audience, so dumbing it down in order to achieve it - when the game has been successful in being complex - seems counter productive

EA hasn't been known for going along with how their fans feel about their game, have they?

Quote:
I did buy it a play it a bit. My verdict would be that it actually is an improvement, despite also being a regression in some way. They've clearly renewed and improved on a lot of things which remained fairly static between the Sims 2 and the Sims 3. While it's annoying that some things are missing (like a dishwasher - hello!) it's overall a good foundation to stand on.

I boycott EA - Can't have such asshole standards and expect me to buy their product.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject:

There is a rumour going about Microsoft buying Mojang for an ungodly sum of money. Confused

Quote:
I had one for my PS2, but that's off to my uncle lol I'm considering getting a new one, but it's not really high on my list. I usually rock my controller for games where I might have use of a wheel.
It makes driving games that much more fun though. I haven't used it for a long time now, but we have one in a closet. Me and my brother used to play Midtown Madness 2 all the time. Such fun. I used to pretend I was a bus driver :blush:

Quote:
EA hasn't been known for going along with how their fans feel about their game, have they?
I know it is something of an internet sport to hate on EA, but they are successful for a reason. If you look at their financials they aren't making an unreasonable amount of money for a company their size either.

And to be frank, while a lot of people are in love with Valve at the moment (were about to use a much ruder phrase), it wasn't always the case. It may not always be the case either. If that happens, isn't it a good thing that someone at least is trying to compete and provide an option?

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject:

You seriously consider EA an option? lol
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject:

Why shouldn't I? Give me three reasons that I shouldn't that aren't emotionally coloured or based on some current preference.

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject:

They charge ridiculously high prices, cut up their games into myriads of DLCs, and were previously considered the worst company in all of the US?

This sums it up pretty well, too.

Besides, they are complete asshats, and you ought to know better.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12