Digital Frolicking or "Games"
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject:

Would you allow me to play the devil's advocate a bit? Mr. Green You know I love it.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Besides, they are complete asshats, and you ought to know better.
To be honest, I don't really think they have done much to offend me to the extent to call them names nor boycott them. I don't like them, and I don't hate them. If they provide something I consider to be a fair value proposition, I'm not opposed to buying their products.

Quote:
They charge ridiculously high prices, cut up their games into myriads of DLCs...
They are a company, not a charity. For 2013, it appears their operating margin was about 3%, which is pretty poor and suggest they either aren't charging enough or selling enough of their products. Considering the average rating of their games is amongst the best in the industry, the quality doesn't appear to be the most immediate problem. You could accuse them for being inefficient, but is that really a crime worthy of boycott? I don't think so.

That opinion piece you linked to seems to think they spend too much on marketing. Perhaps that is true, perhaps the opposite is true. The only obvious truth is that they, as a company, aren't interested in paying for marketing just for the sake of it. As such, they have probably extensively analysed how much they need to spend on marketing to make the greatest return on their investments.

As far as DLC goes, a lot of people seem to assume the alternative would be to have the content of the DLC packs free. It's perhaps true to some extent, but a lot of the time the alternative may be that the content never is created in the first place, or that it is bundled into larger and more expensive expansion packs which actually allow less fine-grained control over the content you wish to pay for.

There's also a lack of constructive criticism that makes sense from a business perspective. How should they combat piracy? "Don't" is not a solution. How can you demand 'new and forward-thinking experiences' in one breath and in the next forbid them to use the immense power of the internet to achieve that?

As for putting out a new FIFA every year: they are well made, popular, and appreciated. Why shouldn't they? If you don't want to spend a lot of money every year on similar games, then don't and buy them a few years apart. If other people always want the newest, why shouldn't they be allowed?

Quote:
and were previously considered the worst company in all of the US?
To me that says a lot more about the people who voted in that poll than it does about EA as a company. It is almost terrifying that they should win it.

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYBWG0ko0lM&feature=youtu.be

Well? Scorched earth feature, family trees brought back, barricades during sieges... Sounds like they're making the game Rome 2 should've been. Much like Empire and Napoleon.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject:

I would rather see it as improving on an already enjoyable game. I can't identify with the sense of indignation some people seem to feel in the face of it.

I'm not sure I very much enjoy the story of this video though. I'm not very fond of barbarism, pillaging, destroying or "making your world burn".

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Hoho, neither am I. War is supposed to be surgical, as clean and accurate as possible. I'm going to sit this one out and see what the game's like , though... Not finishing up Rome (heck, even make an expansion) is not acceptable behavior from CA's side.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Even in Total War I typically use war as the last means to become the richest and most powerful lol I rarely expand as much as you are "supposed to" according to the victory conditions. As long as I have the obvious capability to win I'm satisfied.

Rome II never struck me as an unfinished game. ETW was in a sense because it was buggy and the AI didn't work properly, but I don't see that problem in Rome.

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject:

You've never had the AI attack your full garrison and army with two or three units? They still do that. I'm also getting a lot of instability.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject:

No, not really. I think the AI have generally behaved very well and put up a pretty good fight. Certainly much better than in the last few TW games. I even lost once.

As far as stability goes, I've actually not had any crashes or glitches. It works fine on my computer. If it has issues on some systems I agree they should definitely try to fix it.

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject:

It usually happens to me when I've defetated them in the field... They then attack the closest down, obviously getting massacred. Fortunately, field battles are not that common (even though there certainly are much more of them now than in previous installments)

Either way, I hear crossbows are making an appearance. That will be interesting! They are one of my favourite weapons, I dare say.

In other news, did you see the Mount and Blade II engine showcase? The graphics looked excellent. I hope they stay true to their original ideas.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject:

Crossbows as a favourite weapon? Why?

I don't play an awful lot of field battles. Maybe that's why I've not seen the issue. On the other hand, when I do play a field battle I usually continue after I win and chase down as many escapees as I can. I've noticed that increases the odds of the enemy army being completely annihilated, so that you don't have to bother chasing down two or three broken units.

How would you say the AI has behaved other than that?

Nope. I've not seen no showcase.

Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:

Truely glorious https://www.taleworlds.com/en/games/bannerlord

Bannerlord is something I'm really looking forward to, eventho 2015 will probably see quite a bunch of similar Mount and blade successors. It's however quite awesome when you think of it, afterall this indie game has created two waves of Imitation games. Or rather games coming after M&B are considered to be based on it(Chivalry, War of the Roses, Kingdom Come, Gloria Victis, Fortis Rex, Life is Feudal, caribean...).

I can't say I'm really impressed by R2, but atleast now I know it runs pretty well on my machine. I'll stick with EB2, less bloom and unit abilities but more substance and no silly translated names, oh god those are so awefull.
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject:

The thing that disturbed me to bits when playing Medieval 2 was that I couldn't left-click-and-drag with my units and see their deployment. As such, I gave up on it pretty much right away lol

No one has managed what M&B did though, and that is a good single player campaign (even though it was very difficult) I'm worried about the requirements, though... They look like they'd be very high.

Quote:
How would you say the AI has behaved other than that?

Eh, it's been all right I guess. Not really what they promised though ^^
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Some exaggeration is always to be expected in marketing. Perhaps not even exaggeration, but a singular display of everything from it's best side. Which, in reality, always only is a part of the picture. Razz

I wonder how far away we are from the point where the increase in specification requirements for video games is going to plateau. In a sense, i suppose we already are starting to reach that point.

And after that... who knows. I read somewhere that Microsoft claims to be very close to cracking the nut on streaming games. The nut obviously being the latency issue and the solution some parallel prediction engine.

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Have you tried streaming on Steam? It's pretty laggy (on my home network).

Indeed - sometime soon we would reach the supposed stagnation... Just look at the showcase of the new unreal engine. Utterly amazing what they managed, although the work put into it is obviously tremendous. Have we, mayhaps, entered the realism era of computer games?
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject:

I've not tried streaming on Steam. I didn't know you could? To clarify, I'm not talking about streaming from, say, a computer in one room to a computer/tv in another room on your home network (which I think is possible on Steam). I'm talking about streaming from the internet, which obviously is even more challenging in regards to latency. Remember OnLive?

That's why I found it interesting to integrate prediction into the streaming thing. It probably is the only way to decrease the perceived latency to an acceptable level.

Quote:
Indeed - sometime soon we would reach the supposed stagnation... Just look at the showcase of the new unreal engine. Utterly amazing what they managed, although the work put into it is obviously tremendous. Have we, mayhaps, entered the realism era of computer games?
Haven't we heard that tune a couple of times before? Razz

I remember watching Walking with Dinosaurs on VCR when I was little. It appeared so incredibly realistic that I couldn't imagine CGI to become much better. lol Of course it doesn't at all look good by todays standards. The same story could be told for countless games and films. The same will probably happen this time as well.

On the other hand the stagnation of the PC market is probably an indication that the system requirements for what most people do kind of has plateaued. The need to upgrade is smaller. If the rumour is true and Windows 10 is free for all 7 and 8 users there probably will be even less reason to do so.

Maybe that will force the gaming industry to hold back a little. If more people are running older hardware you have to adapt to that or risk losing revenue.

Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I remember watching Walking with Dinosaurs on VCR when I was little.
heh, me too, that was soo awesome. But you just get used to it and sooner or later an even better system comes around the corner.

Quote:
The thing that disturbed me to bits when playing Medieval 2 was that I couldn't left-click-and-drag with my units and see their deployment. As such, I gave up on it pretty much right away
Whaa? I don't even do that in games where it is possible, you really missed out on a great game, and several pretty awesome mods.

Quote:
and that is a good single player campaign
Neither WotR nor Chiv have actually tried tho^^ - Deliverence seems to put a mighty bit of work in the "story" aspect. Which is nice I guess. While the others probably stick to the sandbox nature of M&B. Which is also nice^^. I've heard the engine they are working with is rather good at keeping the FPS high, so I'm optimistic it will run on my machine when the beta starts.
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject:

They are having a beta? That is uncommon... I guess it won't be getting more popular, though, concerning what's with releasing these buggy games.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12