Digital Frolicking or "Games"
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Closed Beta, Q4 2015 ... so I think it might actually work out^^ afterall they are not as dependent on a Publisher as other games.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Heya, felt like going back to life a bit (and enter a topic that's alive) since work on the new NE patch is mostly done. Devil

On Total War: Attila
Harkimo wrote:
Hoho, neither am I. War is supposed to be surgical, as clean and accurate as possible. I'm going to sit this one out and see what the game's like , though... Not finishing up Rome (heck, even make an expansion) is not acceptable behavior from CA's side.

That's exactly what I feel about it - and I'll probably do the same.

On M&B:
Ca Putt wrote:
Truely glorious https://www.taleworlds.com/en/games/bannerlord

That looks indeed very nice - including the editor. But to make me buy this game, they would need to improve/rework the (melee) combat system. Because: No matter how good Bannerlood is looking now, the other medievalish action games of that kind achieved this look already fully or to a greater extent by also having offered alternative, attractive combat systems on their own. In my opinion even better combat systems. The baby bonus of M&B will be gone with Bannerlord and I really hope they know that at Taleworlds as well.

Quote:
Bannerlord is something I'm really looking forward to, eventho 2015 will probably see quite a bunch of similar Mount and blade successors. It's however quite awesome when you think of it, afterall this indie game has created two waves of Imitation games. Or rather games coming after M&B are considered to be based on it(Chivalry, War of the Roses, Kingdom Come, Gloria Victis, Fortis Rex, Life is Feudal, caribean...).

At least Chiv would need to be taken out of this list though, since that's based on a HL mod.

Quote:
I can't say I'm really impressed by R2, but atleast now I know it runs pretty well on my machine. I'll stick with EB2, less bloom and unit abilities but more substance and no silly translated names, oh god those are so awefull.

Oh I exactly know what you mean and share your pain. Mr. Green

Harkimo wrote:
No one has managed what M&B did though, and that is a good single player campaign (even though it was very difficult) I'm worried about the requirements, though... They look like they'd be very high.

Wait, are you being serious? M&B was incredibly fun for the battles and gearing up yourself and recruiting a force, but anything else in that game was disappointing as hell. Difficulty doesn't bother me when the gameplay is rewarding and motivating, but that simply was not the case for M&B. I wouldn't even say it had a real campaign. It had dozens of meaningless plots and rather felt like an spartanically designed, repetitive open-world sandbox. Sorry. Mr. Green

I expect a game like Kingdom Come: Deliverance to compensate that disappointing deficite in entertaining storytelling of M&B. Life is feudal seems to stick closer to the DIY-storyline system in the fashion of M&B and be more PvP-competitive with a heavy focus on crafting, and hence be more similar to games like Minecraft and DayZ in the end.

SAOL wrote:
I wonder how far away we are from the point where the increase in specification requirements for video games is going to plateau. In a sense, i suppose we already are starting to reach that point.

I do agree. Crytek recently pulled out a statements like this that said it'd become harder to entertain and attract people just with next-gen graphics. I'm so happy about that, because I anticipated: We're finally gonna get new games with more attention to unique gameplay again!

Quote:
And after that... who knows. I read somewhere that Microsoft claims to be very close to cracking the nut on streaming games. The nut obviously being the latency issue and the solution some parallel prediction engine.

Exactly, the industry won't stop trying to push the boundaries. And the tool was and will always be: technology.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject:

on Bannerlord:
Well it does have the Bonus of an Open world Campaign thingy. which games with a(clearly) superior Combat System lacked. So as long as they improve it a bit I'm happy.
Honestly I'm mainly looking forward to an open world medievalish game with a combat System that doesn't suck(like thas of TES). Preferably with the Option to lead great battles, something Deliverance does not offer. neither Life is Feudal nor the other two really dip into that aspect of M&B so Bannerlord still has the edge impo*.

Quote:
At least Chiv would need to be taken out of this list though, since that's based on a HL mod.
It's an medieval combat game with a melee System that doesn't suck and thus is compared to M&B, sure one could compare it to games like... Die by the sword Mr. Green but who does that?
That's my Point: M&B managed to become that game People compare a Melee combat game with, no matter if it was based on it or is just remanecent of it(or a mod, like Caribean).

Quote:
Difficulty doesn't bother me when the gameplay is rewarding and motivating, but that simply was not the case for M&B.
It did lack the classic good quest/Campaign Setting and the World was not very involving. But it was quite rewarding in it's own way. Becomeing King of all Calradia was simply awesome, but even being elected marshal, holder of a Major City or even just having a warband with 50 Swadian Knights(or Nord Huskarls) was greater than most games' questrewards. This was especially nice in mods that offered a more involving setting than Calradia. It's a shame tho that most mods simply add more Units

*in my personal opinion
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Ca Putt wrote:
on Bannerlord:
Well it does have the Bonus of an Open world Campaign thingy. which games with a(clearly) superior Combat System lacked. So as long as they improve it a bit I'm happy.
Honestly I'm mainly looking forward to an open world medievalish game with a combat System that doesn't suck(like thas of TES). Preferably with the Option to lead great battles, something Deliverance does not offer. neither Life is Feudal nor the other two really dip into that aspect of M&B so Bannerlord still has the edge impo*.

That's true, even though I think both, Deliverance and Life is feudal will offer ways to hire and lead NPCs into battle, but then only in late-game and hence not in the extent than in M&B. Smile

Quote:
It did lack the classic good quest/Campaign Setting and the World was not very involving. But it was quite rewarding in it's own way. Becomeing King of all Calradia was simply awesome, but even being elected marshal, holder of a Major City or even just having a warband with 50 Swadian Knights(or Nord Huskarls) was greater than most games' questrewards. This was especially nice in mods that offered a more involving setting than Calradia. It's a shame tho that most mods simply add more Units

Becoming King of Calradia is the synonym for me of becoming the King of a meaningless world that lacks depth - and thus considered a real waste of time. Mr. Green

I do agree though that the development of composing a top-notch army with special characters to a level where it could take any town and beat any army was truly motivating and a rewarding and fun experience in the end. The empire management was horrible though, because the game got really bitchy there (mainly in the aspect of usability) and also very repetitive.

Whenever I started my own empire I always felt you as a player were going further than M&B was meant to be played. Instead I always felt I was done with a game when I could beat anything. Why conquer everything? It's a sandbox game with no objectives and therefore this possibility seemed like a feature that was only implemented to appease the hardcore nerds ( Mr. Green ) that couldn't get enough of the game and would - otherwise - have complained for the lack of such feature. Wink

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Tilanus wrote:
I'm so happy about that, because I anticipated: We're finally gonna get new games with more attention to unique gameplay again!
Maybe. Or maybe we'll simply get more games of about the same quality as today.

I may be wrong in assuming this - but you, being the one who has studied game design, would know - but aren't the people dreaming up storylines and whatnot generally not the same as the ones plonking away at the graphics?

Quote:
Exactly, the industry won't stop trying to push the boundaries. And the tool was and will always be: technology.
It's scary though. God knows what will have been invented by the time us lot have one foot in the grave. We probably won't like it.

I heard someone point out something today that made me think: Today children learn to use tablets and computers before they learn to ride a bike. Even a three wheeled one. I'm not old, but it already sounds crazy to me. I can see how they will grow into obese teenagers whose only pastimes consist of using some computer type device, eating and masturbating to shampoo commercials. And from there on...

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12