Dutch boom

Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkinwiki
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Dutch boom

This is a fairly simple boom strategy that takes advantage of the dutch 'Banks' that generate coin. I always use it in expert skirmish against the CPU; this strategy can be used without NE as well.

First task 3 of the 6 starting villagers on coin whilst the others harvest the crates. While this is happening start training as many villagers as possible. Once you have 9 villagers task them equally between the 3 resources. Now is also a good time to build a market and some houses. Research the first market tech for wood and then accumulate 800 food to advance to the colonial age, (choose politician that grants you 500 gold).

Once in colonial build military buildings and train smallish a group of pikemen & geuzen for defense. keep training new villagers as well, until you have 10 on each resource. The berry bushes/animals near your town centre should be running out by now so build a mill if needed. Task your villagers mining gold to build as many banks as you can and send any HC cards that give you extra (bank of Rotterdam, bank of Amsterdam). Once all the banks are constructed, send half of the villagers who used to mine gold to chop wood and half to gather food. After that stockpile enough food and wood to advance to fortress, (choose speedy age-up politician).

Finally once you have reached fortress age upgrade your economy as fully as possible then train 20 halberdiers, 20 Reuters and 10 falconets. Now upgrade these troops at the arsenal. It is also a good idea to construct a fort in a strategic place while upgrades are taking place. Save up 2000 food and 1200 gold to advance to industrial, (choose politician that upgrades your banks)

Once in industrial you will want to research royal guard upgrades for halberdier (nassauer) and Reuter (carbineer). The advanced artillery HC card is also a good idea as it upgrades the falconets for free. Finally send your army to attack the enemy town center and force surrender!
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Does it really take maximum advantage of the Dutch ability to build banks?

The even split of settlers between resources somewhat contradicts that, as you then gather more than the marginal gold you need to keep up settler production at a reasonable pace. I usually focus much more heavily on food and wood in the beginning of the game when I play Dutch. I'd have several banks by the time I have 30 villagers.

caveman909
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject:

And piks/geuzen arent very good for defending, the best is skirmishers behind a wall and thats it! This is "Turtle" strategy, and booming with banks on age II-age III is very good, try it if you never did! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1