No
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

walkinwiki
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Swiss Strategy

Have maxed my prussian HC and was looking for a new challenge so decided to play about with the swiss. I actually discoverd that (despite being completely different to the prussians) they're quite a cool civ with some awesome boni! Here's a fairly basic strategy i've started using with them.

To start off with set all 3 of your followers on gathering food and send your explorer off to gather as much loot as he can. As your supply wagon makes some more followers task them on food and wood until you have 800 and start aging up. I personally like to send the HC card that cheapens bivouacs and tents before I age up as well.

Once you reach colonial task a good amount of followers on gold, while building 2 or 3 bivouacs and as many trade routes TP's and tents as you can. Once you have a decent amount of population and XP train as many reislaufers and crossbowman as you can (and some halberdiers if you want). Next send the HC cards for 8 crossbowman and 6 swiss pike. mercs. By now you should have a decent raiding party of around 35 troop (including the HC units) send the raiding party off to attack your most powerfull opponents military buildings and make a mes of his economy untill all the units die. After you've done this you should have enough resources to age up to fortress (choose the politician that grants free hussars!). While you age up it's also a good idea to keep tasking followers on food and coin and researching some economy boost techs.

Once you reach fortress train an army of 15 hussars,20 Swiss guards,10 musketeers and 5 falconets. Use your HC cards to fortify your town and economy and base so you can play an fairly defensive strategy until you have enough resources to reach industrial. Also send the advanced arsenal card and upgrade your troops as much as possible. ASAP age up to industrial and choose the poltician that grants free guard hussars.

Once you reach industrial upgrade your falconets and infantry to guard level (this can be done for free using the cent-Swiss HC card and advanced artillery HC card). You should now have a medium-size, highly upgraded boom army. You can now attack most enemy towns and win, providing you weakened them enough with your large raid in colonial.

If I want to get lots of XP from the game I sometimes attack the enemy relatively slowly and age up to Imperial before defeating them. If used as I do this strategy usually grants you 3 levels worth of XP at the end of the game.

I personally think that this strategy takes advantage of the swiss' civilization's great ability to 'rush' but also uses some elements of the 'boom' technique I play with using other civs! But that's just my opinion

Wink If you have any suggestions/variations please post them in the replies!
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject:

The tricky bit about playing the Swiss is that they become relatively weaker as the game progresses - so you have to be pretty aggressive early on to hamper your opponent. If you sit out and hide for too long you will eventually be run over.

At least if you are facing a human, vs. the AI... anything is possible.

caveman909
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Hello, here are some tips that I can give you:
1. At age I, put every follower on food. You don't really need to gather wood during age I, unless you want to get the first "food gathering upgrade" available at the supply wagon really quickly. But if not, you shouldn't put any follower on wood.
2. Having fast XP with Swiss is surely a good idea. But building 2-3 TPs at the beginning of the game is quite difficult, especially with the Swiss cause except the bows, you don't have any units which costs wood which makes it more difficult to build TP's and have a decent army (that means: specially not only bows^^) at the same time.
3. The idea of not rushing with the Swiss can surprise a human player, and then trying to boom with some TP's could be interesting. But against the comps, I think the best is to try to rush them. It's quite a basic and not too difficult strategy with the Swiss...
4. As SAOL said, trying to age IV fast with Swiss can be quite difficult cause you won't have special OP cards to send from your deck. But this could be interesting if you make some univerisity units like sharpshooters or better, Chevauxlegers (god I hate how this is spelled! xP).

But keep trying to invent some new strats, I personnally think it's the best way to have fun! Smile

P.S. my english could be quite strange at some parts of the post, it's just that I'm tired.. x)
walkinwiki
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Thanks guys some usefull feedback!

Caveman- I only ever put a few villagers on wood in age 1 so that I then have enough wood to build the TPs in age 2 (I only ever defend them with free outpost wagons and a fort in age 3); You could use it quite well without TPs I just like to use as many HC cards as I can to help build to help build up the first 'rush'!

Saol- I haven't tested this strategy on humans yet, but it's worked for me 9/10 times on expert level against the AI (apart from whenever I play Sweden and the AI just spams tonnes of mercs). I enjoy looking for new strategies when I play with a new civ, and despite the swiss civ being a bit strange I find that with the right combination of HC cards and correct timing of age 2 raids, the swiss civ is actually really fun to play as! looking forward to their update in NE 3.0
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Oh they are fun all right, and very unique and powerful if used right. That does not mean anyone shouldn't readily admit them to be tricky to master.

The thing is, if I were to face a Swiss player, I would expect early raids. If you survive those early attacks all right, you will eventually, usually, win. The Swiss economy (and military) simply has a hard time keeping up in the long run.

walkinwiki
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Yeh I prefer to raid them untill their ALMOST dead but then smash them with a organised, upgraded army in age 4/5 because i always play boom with my other civs and i'm a bit OCD about having an organised army with balanced units!
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject:

While I can appreciate the fun in that, wouldn't it be more merciful to kill them off as swiftly as you possibly can? Or are you a sadist? Devil

caveman909
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject:

SAOL wrote:
While I can appreciate the fun in that, wouldn't it be more merciful to kill them off as swiftly as you possibly can. Or are you a sadist? Devil

I didn't imagine you like that SAOL Confused lol
General Cornwallis
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject:

I vote NO for that strategy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1