Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Modding Report #22

June - September 2013

Heyo,

lots of stuff has been happening since June! I passed all my exams and finally graduated in game design with a Bachelor of Science from university. Now I have to deal with the 'delighting' side effects of unemployment in Germany and find a job in games industry soon. Things are getting serious!

In that time I managed to keep track of NE though and it turns out it was possible to distribute work inside the team and make some notable progress!

And now, let's see what it is! Wink

Current version: 2.1.5

1. Let's all welcome our first new NE member kangcliff, who's currently working on NE 2! You may remember him from the last series of AI fixes for NE 2 that he's been doing on previous work from motter28128. Next to his AI skills kangcliff is also an eager and capable modder in other areas of modding and we'll all stay excited to see and appreciate his work for NE! Cool

2. In July we released NE 2.1.5 for PC and Mac, that basically contained all fixes from me, Yomgui and kangcliff to that point in time. In case you didn't get the 68MB packed rar-archive yet, check our Downloads page!

3. In the download section of AoE3 HeavenGames kangcliff has released AI Hotfix 5.1.1 for NE 2. It will be the last separately downloadable AI hotfix, because all his further hotfixes will be from now on included in improved NE versions. Unlike AI hotfix 4.0.1 this version will not turn your game language into English! Read the patch notes and get it here.

4. In the last Modding Report I told you about the upcoming NE 2.2 Patch, whose main improvement will be the automatic installer that works with Steam, custom and standard installation directories of AoE3 for both, PC and Mac. Our members kangcliff and Da Bozz have been doing some hard work to make that possible. Kudos to them! Cool Those two installers for either PC or Mac are nearly done now. Just some tweaking and designing left!

The NE Installer for Windows with beta design

5. Another thing I announced in the last Modding Report was that a future patch after NE 2.2 will contain extra content for NE 2. So far I didn't elaborate on what these are, but now there's a much clearer idea of what sorts of extra content should be added. So there can be less or more than this:
    Spoiler:

#NE 2.3 RELEASE NOTES

• Random Maps
      • NE Finland
      • NE Gibraltar (maybe)
      • NE Scotland (maybe)

• Natives
      • Barbary Pirates
      • Finns
      • Bavarians
      • Greeks
      • Arabs (maybe; would replace Hashashins)
      • Scots (maybe)

• 3d models
      • Firearms
      • Turk bow
      • Helmets and hats
      • Swords

• Further extra content
      • New fire sounds
      • Some new flags
      • Some new textures
      • Various tech and stats fixes
      • New units (maybe; Hajduk, Marauder, Infante de Marina, .. )
      • Unreleased RMs (maybe)
      • New civ (maybe)
      • New Polish AgeUp (maybe)

Cool, eh? Mr. Green

6. Someone has been doing this and I have no idea why I'm posting it.

I really have no idea.

unreleased

1. If there's a first new member working on NE 2, then there gotta be a second one working on NE 3, right? Ladies and Gentlemen, let's welcome our new NE member Tubin_Anon1! Mr. Green He's a modder you might solely know from our own modding forum, in which he first appeared with his 19th century mod. While his mod can give you an idea of his capabilities in various modding fields, it was also so similar to the ideas for NE 3 that we just had to work together. Wink

2. The Ottoman civ mod by PredatoR is done! His mod "The Ottoman Empire" extends the Ottomans with new units, techs, HC cards and building textures. PredatoR has been a loyal fan since the beginning of NE and therefore it doesn't really surprise that his expertise and work basing on Ottoman history will be also benevolent for the Ottomans in NE3! However, next to its future feature in NE3, his civ mod will also be released as standalone. If you're at any chance interested in checking out his mod, be sure to follow our updates as we'll shout it out for sure. Cool

Cüs lan, cok güzel!

3. While NE Gibraltar and NE Scotland are still being optimized, there's always room for new RM concepts! We considered places in Europe, that didn't get covered yet such as Crimea, Øresund, Pyrénées, Iberian Peninsula or Norway. Next to places, we also got into sketching different map types. The future will tell us how and if they'll get realized. Mr. Green

Current status of NE Scotland

The 1st sketch for NE Crimean Peninsula! Players will fight for supremacy over the peninsula that grants large coin income through mines and the close sea trade route.

4. There's been made notable progress with the NE3 test civ ("Prototype civ") on sketching standard units. Listing up all changes to standard units would make this report explode though. That's why I refreshed our rudimental NE3 info page with these details. The descriptions come off sorta sketchy and incomplete, but (at least to us) the new concepts are pretty clear. The unit tree has also been updated, but is still limited on Land Military so far.

Click on the image to open the updated NE3 Database!

Most remarkable progress has been made with Civil units like Settlers and Priests, but also in specific cases like Commanders, Grenadiers or Sergeants. And finally there's also a clear separation between Militia ("Ex-Minutemen") and National Guards (the "new Colonial Militia") now, just the number and choice of training locations isn't 100% safe yet. Still missing are updates concerning buildings and ships. Those are currently being researched and discussed. If you have any cool ideas, let us know!

5. The aforementioned standard units have also been coded by Tubin_Anon1 so far. That means the new artillery system where cannons, mortars and other guns have new fire modes and (now relevant) accuracy values is already working. Also unit features like those of Sappers and Commanders have been reworked and coded.

6. Actually visual design has not been that much in the focus during the last months, but then again, what'd be a modding report without pics? Mr. Green So, here's some caaandy:

• Grenadiers (regular)

One unit to rule 'em all.

• Kongens Friskytter (Danish) - Royal upgrade for 'Snaphane'

They hate line infantry and line infantry hates them. But they do love stealth!

• Q

The Q. I think I got this from a bond movie. Harhar!

7. The odyssey for proper unit upgrade names has entered a new stage. I and Ca Putt are still looking for a key to the system that works with all units. However, it seems rather likely already that we'll go with unique names for unit upgrades, but not abolish the prefix system entirely. That fits very well to NE 3 since one guideline in our design philosophy is to pick the best from AoE2 and AoE3 to combine it.

Giving units unique names for each upgrade makes units feel more individual, even though they are indeed not single units. Something such as "Veteran, Imperial" always indicates they're just a better and worse version of one and another. However, the key that matches best simply hasn't been found yet.

8. I composed a first version of the future NE 3 main theme. Sounds good already, but I can only tell you it goes like bom .. bo-bo-bom - bom - bom, bo-bo-bom ... Devil

9. When recalling the history of NE over all the years, something that we never really did was tracking our stuff in the net. In new marketing terminology NE didn't only always got spread organically (through us), but also virally. Which basically means it was also uploaded on sites we didn't know about by people who we didn't know about either. Wink

So when I was about to manage some promotion-related stuff, I took a whole night searching the internet for NE downloads. And while it is impossible to get a complete number of all NE downloads ever, it was quite an interesting thing to do. And it was great to see NE 2.01 is - after all these years - still quite popular. For example, in the German software community CHIP.de NE 2.01 still got rank 18 in a list of the 63 most popular mod downloads.

PERSONAL REVIEW: In terms of timing and other businesses that's surely none of my favorite reports to write, but I appreciate that NE can progress even in the hardest times. I'm also quite thankful for the team support, you're doin' a good job!

With every further modding report, everyone can see much better what the mod is going to be. So, even though it is number 22 already, this still hasn't become a boring technical modding log. We like to take you on a trip to the full masterplan and hope you enjoy it.

On a final note, I might add, that I feel we've become more professional doing this project the more modding reports we throw out and the better we're puttin' our heads together over NE. I remember the days when I started working for NE 2 as a simple and naive in Kastor's team and those later, troubling ones when a future concept for NE still had to be found. We left that time behind us already, but it's still worth to remember them to see how much better we got at this!

And now I really need a small break from these 4 days of working through! Hope you enjoy the report and can't wait for your feedback! Smile

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
CasualBeta
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject:

Good grief, 'Bout time. Though to hear more people joining up on this mod is all great Cool and *thumbs up*.

One question, what will happen to the other civs (both the "original" and the NE)? Will there be minor or major changes to them?
JRussell
NE Guard
NE Guard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Nice work Smile, and thank you for the mention lol

I didn't know about the Chasseur à Cheval, is it supposed to be like a mounted rifleman or an elitary dragoon? I think I mentioned that unit in my mod, but I'm still not sure where it goes.
Gustav II Adolf
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Great work!

Congrats on B.Sc.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Tubin_Anon1 wrote:
I didn't know about the Chasseur à Cheval, is it supposed to be like a mounted rifleman or an elitary dragoon? I think I mentioned that unit in my mod, but I'm still not sure where it goes.

Yes, the concept is actually rather old and I added it just recently to the prototype civ doc. That's why Wink You can check the details either at the NE3 DB or in the prototype civ doc. Smile

@Gustav: Thanks!

Casual Beta wrote:
Good grief, 'Bout time. Though to hear more people joining up on this mod is all great Cool and *thumbs up*.

One question, what will happen to the other civs (both the "original" and the NE)? Will there be minor or major changes to them?

Yes, the team additions are great! In the previous report you could see some points on how the major civs will be changed. Generally I can say, yes, all major civs will be reworked completely.

NE 2 expands AoE3.
NE 3 reworks AoE3.

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Aww man, I get butterflies every time there's a new report! Epic work. It'll no doubt be interesting to see how this proceeds after your Bachelor. (Gratz, btw) Smile
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject:

You have to find a job? Why is that? I thought unemployment was enjoyable, meaning you are a lazy son of a bitch who leech on society.

In any case: my warmest congratulations. I would never have thought when I first met you that you'd actually become a 'professional' game designer. But, to tie in to your own personal note, your skill and your professionalism has grown over the years in a way most tangible. You deserve to be proud - and if you aren't, you should be.

----

Kudos and welcomes to the new official team members. Unless you have strokes or sniff glue so the competence I've already seen you demonstrate falls off a cliff, your contribution will surely be valuable. Smile It's especially fun to see that PredatoRs stuff will be included; I very much remember his presence from when I first joined here.

It's good to see progress on the installer.

To sum it up: Good work lads, keep it up! Banana!

Tilanus wrote:
I composed a first version of the future NE 3 main theme. Sounds good already, but I can only tell you it goes like bom .. bo-bo-bom - bom - bom, bo-bo-bom ...
Do you know what that made me think of for some reason? This. Topmodel

Quote:
When recalling the history of NE over all the years, something that we never really did was tracking our stuff in the net.
After having read this, I thought of something that would be fun to have: a sort of NE anthology. A real, proper and complete account of how NE has developed over the years, the ups and downs and the behind the scenes goodness. Reflections, interviews and all of that stuff, a bit like a biography. It wouldn't necessarily be the most interesting read now, but imagine in a few decades, when we're old and balding. To be able to look back to this project then, is something I probably would enjoy even though I'm just a spectator.

In a similar fashion such an account of our community with all its quirks and dynamics (and amaaaaaazing people, as cheese makes everything better) would be fun to have before Dr. Dementia pays his visit. Not that anyone should do such a massive undertaking, but it'd be fun to have.

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Harkimo wrote:
Aww man, I get butterflies every time there's a new report! Epic work. It'll no doubt be interesting to see how this proceeds after your Bachelor. (Gratz, btw) Smile

Haha, Harkimo in love! Devil As I said in the introduction, the good thing is that I'm done with uni in fact, the damper is, that my future job will surely have a much higher priority. Wink

SAOL wrote:
You have to find a job? Why is that? I thought unemployment was enjoyable, meaning you are a lazy son of a bitch who leech on society.

I guess I have to do that for two months or three. It really will be not enjoyable at all, because I don't want anyone to find a job FOR ME, that has obviously no expertise in that industry. ^^

Quote:
In any case: my warmest congratulations. I would never have thought when I first met you that you'd actually become a 'professional' game designer. But, to tie in to your own personal note, your skill and your professionalism has grown over the years in a way most tangible. You deserve to be proud - and if you aren't, you should be.

That's good to hear and without wanting to sound like a greedy narcissist, I'd be quite interested to hear how or on which happenings you'd fix my early naivity (?) and the subsequent development to a more professional manner? Even though I drew that conclusion myself already in the context of modding, I've had this problem in university. Not being really able to tell if and how I developed. So I'd just like to obtain your view on that. Maybe that helps me in some way. Mr. Green

Quote:
Kudos and welcomes to the new official team members. Unless you have strokes or sniff glue so the competence I've already seen you demonstrate falls off a cliff, your contribution will surely be valuable. Smile It's especially fun to see that PredatoRs stuff will be included; I very much remember his presence from when I first joined here.

It's good to see progress on the installer.

To sum it up: Good work lads, keep it up! Banana!

The German will gladly accept the banana! Banana! And I'll also offer them to the team. Dear NE team, does anyone of you want a banana? lol

Quote:
Tilanus wrote:
I composed a first version of the future NE 3 main theme. Sounds good already, but I can only tell you it goes like bom .. bo-bo-bom - bom - bom, bo-bo-bom ...
Do you know what that made me think of for some reason? This. Topmodel

Really? Hahaha! It makes me rather think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6GZYTB9yk0 Wink (great music)

Quote:
After having read this, I thought of something that would be fun to have: a sort of NE anthology. A real, proper and complete account of how NE has developed over the years, the ups and downs and the behind the scenes goodness. Reflections, interviews and all of that stuff, a bit like a biography. It wouldn't necessarily be the most interesting read now, but imagine in a few decades, when we're old and balding. To be able to look back to this project then, is something I probably would enjoy even though I'm just a spectator.

In a similar fashion such an account of our community with all its quirks and dynamics (and amaaaaaazing people, as cheese makes everything better) would be fun to have before Dr. Dementia pays his visit. Not that anyone should do such a massive undertaking, but it'd be fun to have.

Well, I kinda did that with the history section at the "About NE" site, no? Of course, it's not a real chronology and I agree the community definitely deserves a place in this. Just like you said though, it's probably a task that'd be appropriately set in the pre-dementia phase in life. Wink

In our internal documents there is one spreadsheet among them that lists all NE releases (with dates to the day!), but it's a rather cold statistics. It's funny though that you mention the interviews, which is a thing that I did at TAA, where all members were listed on page with statements on their motivations and background. Mr. Green

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Even though I drew that conclusion myself already in the context of modding, I've had this problem in university. Not being really able to tell if and how I developed. So I'd just like to obtain your view on that. Maybe that helps me in some way.
Observing your own progress isn't always easy; I agree with that myself. I don't really feel much different from what I did when I was 10, though I obviously am. Just as you have; you are no longer a teenager, but a human with a fully developed brain (usually happens between 23 and 25 in men).

To be blunt I don't think "humble" is a word I would have used to characterise you. You have always appeared as very sure of yourself. I don't know if you remember, but you did once fervently argue that people shouldn't clap their hands unless they thoroughly enjoyed the performance they witnessed. That's a rather unusual opinion. I don't know if you still think that anything less than perfection shouldn't be honoured. My guess is that your approach now would be a bit more lax.

Even though I receive e-mails now and then thanking me for NE, I obviously don't have much of a clue about what is actually going on. But even from the outside it is pretty obvious that you have found ways to employ things you've learnt in your studies to the development of NE. It is apparently more structured, which naturally also allow you to do these more professional looking presentations.

I don't think I should write anything more at the moment, it's getting long.

Quote:
(great music)
Yes.

Quote:
Well, I kinda did that with the history section at the "About NE" site, no?
No no no lol I'm imagining an inch-thick book. Or maybe a half-inch. What's in the history section would be the back cover.

Quote:
Just like you said though, it's probably a task that'd be appropriately set in the pre-dementia phase in life
No no. It's a task that'd be appreciated then. There's no point in doing it then, because most of it will already be forgotten. The time is now, though no one has it nor the energy.

Quote:
It's funny though that you mention the interviews, which is a thing that I did at TAA, where all members were listed on page with statements on their motivations and background.
There were interviews of the NE members, including one of you from when you were 16, I believe Topmodel Also Matthew, Walker and the crowd. I don't know where they went.

peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject:

Textures are splendid as always... Neat job!

peugeot407

AOE_Fan
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject:

First of all, congratulations on your graduation!
It's always nice to see the level of detail NE team puts into concepts and ideas and as peugeot407 already stated, the textures are nice indeed. It's great to hear about the new team members as well. Smile
Quote:
Someone has been doing this and I have no idea why I'm posting it.

Looks like no bumpmaps = textured with GIMP?

Quote:
The future will tell us how and if they'll get realized.

Yes, that's a big mystery. Mr. Green
RoyalGuard
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Yup everything looks amazing I'm looking forward to playing this new NE 3! Congrats on the university, and good luck on the job! I'm hoping 2.2 fixes the Austrian card problem I'm having hah
caveman909
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Really amazing work, it's very nice and impressive to see how much you all work on this (im feelin like im super lazy now haha) ! Keep it this way Smile
WARHORSE
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject:

You guys are great, with all the hours you labored to expand this game. And the results are fantastic. Can't wait to see the new versions come out, good luck with finding a job.
Pepp
Young Guard
Young Guard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject:

The textures are really great, as Robert said. I almost can't figured out what unit they are! Simple, but gorgeous.

NB: They remind me to Cossack more and more Devil

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject:

Thanks a lot for the nice comments!

SAOL wrote:
To be blunt I don't think "humble" is a word I would have used to characterise you. You have always appeared as very sure of yourself. I don't know if you remember, but you did once fervently argue that people shouldn't clap their hands unless they thoroughly enjoyed the performance they witnessed. That's a rather unusual opinion. I don't know if you still think that anything less than perfection shouldn't be honoured. My guess is that your approach now would be a bit more lax.

Hehe, I don't remember that case to be honest, but I feel familiar with the point I seemingly tried to make. I really think it wasn't about perfection, but rather about achieving and practising sharpened attention to things rather than mindlessly accept them as what they're told. I'm still a beast when it comes to get things right, but yes, I can agree that I noted that slight change to more 'laxness' (if that fits) myself. Mr. Green

Quote:
Even though I receive e-mails now and then thanking me for NE, I obviously don't have much of a clue about what is actually going on. But even from the outside it is pretty obvious that you have found ways to employ things you've learnt in your studies to the development of NE. It is apparently more structured, which naturally also allow you to do these more professional looking presentations.

Hahaha, WHAT?! You're taking praises away from the NE Team?! Mad This is blasphemy! Devil And yeah, my question was rather technically asked. I'd just like to know which things you noted. I'd definitely agree to the improved structures already.

Also, feel free to commit yourself as writer of the magnificent Encyclopædia et Historia ad ludum strategemam Aetas Napoleonica MMVI-MMXII Devil hahaha

AOE_Fan wrote:
Looks like no bumpmaps = textured with GIMP?

I can't even tell (even though you can do bumpmaps with GIMP). I had an urge need for pics for the report, so I gladly took this. ^^

Quote:
Quote:
The future will tell us how and if they'll get realized.

Yes, that's a big mystery. Mr. Green

@Pepp: NB? ^^ I think one model is pretty obvious Wink

Btw, any comments on the unit tree/units? Some feedback would be cool Smile

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2