Game won't start with NE installed
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Forum Index -> Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fixer|SS|
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Game won't start with NE installed

Greetings!

I am writing this on behalf of a friend of mine who tried to install the Napoleonic Era.

He extracted everything via 7-Zip, put the batch of files in the first folder in the AOE3 folder in PFilesx86, put the second folder in the Saved Games folder, exactly as I did, and every time he booted AOE3 from the Asian Dynasties App in the modded folder, the game would stop working.

The initial splash screen came up and it wasn't even the splash screen for NE. It was the Asian Dynasties splash screen, and from there an error window appeared saying Asian Dynasties had stopped working...and then the game shuts down.

Heading off any potential questions: YES, when the files were transferred to the AOE3 folder, all the old files were replaced. YES, all the files were extracted via 7-Zip. YES, the folder was put in the right place in Saved Games. YES, he is running AOE3 on a gaming laptop with 200+ spare gigs and Cadillac graphics.

I would really appreciate any help, because my brother and dad would love to have a fourth person to play the game with and it's a shame that the download worked for the three of us but not for my friend.

Thanks for reading!
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject:

Hello, and warm welcomes.

Something went wrong. Genius analysis, eh? Wink

Did he, as recommended, make a backup of his Age of Empires III folder before he tried to install NE?

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Hey Fixer!

1. As you said you're looking for a 4th player, that means it does work for the others. Did I get that right?

2. He didn't have any previous of NE installed, right? And: Did all the other players with NE install over NE 2.01?

3. Did he patch TAD before installing NE? (check if you got the DataPY.bar in the main directory)

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Fixer|SS|
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject:

@SAOL: He did indeed make a backup of AOE3. Asian Dynasties opens just fine when opened from that backup.

As if to make things worse, he tried making another copy of the copy, deleting the folder he had originally adjusted, and then installing the mod on the first copy (I was confused too), but the same problem persisted.

@Tilanus:

1. You did: it runs swimmingly for the three of us - we enjoy the mod tremendously.

2. He had no mods installed, whatsoever. I myself first found out about NE the day before yesterday.

3. He used the autopatcher, and when it said it was up to date, he used the patch link found here:

http://www.agecommunity.com/gameUpdates.aspx

...and went forward with the installation.

I'm not sure if the DataPY.bar file is in the AOE3 directory but I'd say the odds are good. I will ask him as soon as he comes online, though.
roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Usually when i have a mod that doesnt work or the game itself doesnt work, i uninstall it completely and start over. Vanilla, TWC, TAD, and NE. Hope that helps.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RoySOTR

Feel free to add me.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Complete reinstallation should be only the ultima ratio. I noticed, the DataPY.bar is included in NE 2.1.5 already, so it should be there if you placed everything correctly.

And as you say, you didn't have an earlier version than NE 2.1.5 installed on your computer and it works for you?

If that is the case, it shouldn't be a problem related to NE. I know it's a tip you didn't want to hear, but maybe you really missed a detail in the installation routine. Wink

Fixer|SS|
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Well knowing my friend he probably did screw something up. Razz

I'll give him the good/bad news, and will let you guys know if it works out. Thanks for the assist!
Fixer|SS|
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Maybe I'm missing something but I can't seem to access the new maps. When I try to tick "Custom Maps" it says "No Custom Maps found. Disabling Custom Maps Toggle", implying that there are no maps of that sort to be found. I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject:

If my memory serves I think custom maps are placed in the RM3 folder. See if you have the NE maps in there. If not, put them there.

Fixer|SS|
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject:

I see about 10-20 file names with NE in front of them, such as Alpine Pass, Atlas Mountains, Barbary Coast, etc. Can't find em' in game though.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject:

In the Standard map list are no map names starting with NE ...? How about your brother and dad, do they have NE maps?

Fixer|SS|
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject:

No, and every time I try to click on the Custom Games tick-box, the same thing happens - in single player and in multiplayer.

Is there a setting that I have to activate somewhere that allows the game to recognize the maps? A file I have to adjust?

Also, my friend uninstalled and reinstalled Asian Dynasties but had no luck running the mod - the game still crashed on the Asian Dynasties splash screen. I don't know if he made a mistake in the installation process but I have to assume that he didn't. In any event, the game still won't start for him.

Should he have un-and-reinstalled all the AOE3 games? Because he only un-and-reinstalled Asian Dynasties.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Are they in both of the RM3 folders (there is one under My Documents and one under Program Files)? You should not have to adjust any file or setting for them to show up, just put them where they are supposed to be.

What are you boys doing to mess this up? lol It's just that it has worked before for hundreds of people, so there shouldln't be anything wrong with the files, unless you've used some extemely wonky file extractor that managed to corrupt the files (unlikely). And please, it's not an insult. I'm just trying to see the Comedy in the situation. Razz

I'm not sure, but I don't think re-installing TAD alone would make much difference. Especially since he had a backup.

Fixer|SS|
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject:

They are not in the my documents one, I don't recall putting anything there. I copied and pasted them there, though, and booted the game and they still didn't show up and the Custom Map Toggle still didn't work.

We all used 7-Zip. As I said it worked fine for three of us, but the fourth man is for some reason having problems. So SAOL are you saying he should have re-installed all three AOE3 games? Taken out the two expansions, then the base game, then re-installed the base game and the two expansions? Or what?
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject:

The RMs should be put in the My Programs one, so if they're there and don't show up then that's strange, and the solution would be beyond my immediate know-how.

If I were him I would make a new backup of my backup and try again. If I tried re-installing, I would re-install it of all.

Fixer|SS|
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject:

Let not your hearts be troubled! A solution has been discovered at last.

The key to running any copy of AOE3 is to titling the folder: "Age of Empires III" and THAT'S IT.

If you have a folder titled "Age of Empires III - Copy" the game app will not run from within.

If you rename that folder "Age of Empires III" and rename the former folder "Age of Empires III - Original", then the copy will work, and vice versa. So basically there's nothing wrong with your files or anything and it works fine!

The only other thing is the maps, which is a minor quibble at the moment, since I'm more than happy to play with the new civs on the official maps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Technical Support All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2