A couple problems

Forum Index -> Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fixer|SS|
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: A couple problems

The lack of Napoleonic Era maps is still a glaring problem for me, but other than that I'm loving the mod.

Beyond that, when I was playing as Poland, I noticed the Pancerni (sp? heavy cavalry, limited to 20, etc) were unable to use their trample attacks. I lucked out when I found this out - I sicced them on some Silk Road ronin but they just stood there and did nothing once I clicked on Trample Mode. I find it ironic that there is a card in the Polish deck which purports to enhance Trample Mode damage for Pancernis, considering they don't do any damage to begin with.

Also, when I was adding new cards to my Swiss deck, I found that I was unable to add certain cards from the Cathedral and Harbor. I first tried to get the card Fencing School, but when I clicked Save, a box appeared saying "Unspecified Error". Very strange indeed. The same thing happened for various other cards, though not for the Factory, or for Swiss Clockwork.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Hm, I know for a fact that I've used the Swiss fencing school card, and I'm pretty sure I've had pancerni in trample mode.

Along with the fact that you still haven't gotten the RMs to work, there may be something wonky with your installation.

Fixer|SS|
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Well it's weird, because I've been able to play with various other people on the mod. I would think if there was a problem I wouldn't be able to play with them, and would get a CRC-Mismatch.

Eitherwhats, I have another issue to report with regard to Spies.

I was playing as the Americans against another human who was playing as the Swedes (1v1) and Spies cost 3750 gold every single time I checked the Capitol. I eventually bought it, but I was thrown by the fact that my opponent had 7 or 8 fully staffed plantations/mills, and numerous buildings and a sizeable army. I would have expected to pay at least 10-20K.

Also, another problem is that when I was playing a 3v3 game with two other human players on my team against 3 expert comps, and I bought Spies, my teammates said all the enemy buildings that had been previously explored and located on the map essentially disappeared.

Following up on the Swiss cards issue: I created another home city and deleted the old one, and was able to add all the cards I had previously wanted.

For the RMs, is there a separate download I need to add, or a special setting I need to enable? I have tried time and time again to check the Custom Maps box in NE and it just never works.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Well it's weird, because I've been able to play with various other people on the mod. I would think if there was a problem I wouldn't be able to play with them, and would get a CRC-Mismatch.
That should indeed be the case, but you must agree that it is a little bit strange that you experience bugs that others in general do not.

Quote:
For the RMs, is there a separate download I need to add, or a special setting I need to enable? I have tried time and time again to check the Custom Maps box in NE and it just never works.
No, it is as has been said before. If you have the map files in the correct folder, they should appear if you check the custom maps box. There is nothing more to it.

Fixer|SS|
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject:

Ok so it seems that it isn't just me. My dad, brother, and one of my friends have all experienced the same thing - where you try to add new cards, click Save, and then after the saving window disappears, it is replaced with "Unspecified Error" and the cards are NOT added.

My dad also tried to copy one of his 3 Prussian decks, and when he attempted to save it, got "Unspecified Error", and nothing was saved.

Also, as regards the pancerni trample attack, it only works vs enemy units. The trample attack has no effect on treasure guardians. That was why my test failed initially, because I didn't test it on enemy units. So the trample attack for pancernis does NOTHING on treasure guardians.

What is the correct folder exactly, for the maps? I'm sorry to keep dragging this on but it could be a very simple problem such as a misplaced file, and if so I'd like to correct it as quickly as possible.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject:

Fixer|SS| wrote:
Ok so it seems that it isn't just me. My dad, brother, and one of my friends have all experienced the same thing - where you try to add new cards, click Save, and then after the saving window disappears, it is replaced with "Unspecified Error" and the cards are NOT added.

My dad also tried to copy one of his 3 Prussian decks, and when he attempted to save it, got "Unspecified Error", and nothing was saved.

Seems the big question mark remained to stay inside the family so far Mr. Green I remember your family having messed up installations of the hotfix and such. I have looked into the files and can't find no difference so far between the homecity files of NE 2.01, the Hotfix 7.1 nor NE 2.1.5 that basically contains the two previous versions. Also, for NE 2.1.5 no HC files were even changed, so that can not be the reason.

More likely a file is missing or outdated. That can be caused through everything: I might even have forgotten it myself to add it to 2.1.5, but then I'd expect more bug reports. It's for sure though, that if your family did everything the same way, you consequently also get the same type of errors. Mr. Green

I'll note the bug and research on it more intensively. You can speed up that process if you pack this folder:
C:\Users\[YourUserName]\Documents\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2\Savegame

And either upload it somewhere and post the link here or send it as a mail to tilanuscommodor@gmx.de.

Quote:
Also, as regards the pancerni trample attack, it only works vs enemy units. The trample attack has no effect on treasure guardians. That was why my test failed initially, because I didn't test it on enemy units. So the trample attack for pancernis does NOTHING on treasure guardians.

That's correct and it never was any different. I checked that. The reason why it was done is to avoid triggering guardians by the area damage of Pancerni to make them enter a battle between civs.

Quote:
What is the correct folder exactly, for the maps? I'm sorry to keep dragging this on but it could be a very simple problem such as a misplaced file, and if so I'd like to correct it as quickly as possible.

In the NE 2.1.5 archive were two folders. "Fixed NE 2.01" is for the main directory and "Napoleonic Era Beta 2" should go the My Games folder. But ugh, I think I see now what might be have caused the confusion. In the readme it says:
Quote:
STEP #2
Place the "Napoleonic Era Beta 2" folder into this directory:
C:\Users\[YourUserName]\My Games\

Agree to overwrite files.

Now when I check it, I see the directory is actually:

C:\Users\[YourUserName]\Documents\My Games\

You got the right directory, if there also is a "Age of Empires 3" folder next to it. Seeing your problems with the Homecities, I'd advice you to try one thing first though:

Get this folder from the NE 2.1.5 archive:
Napoleonic Era Beta 2\RM3

... and paste it to:
C:\Users\[YourUserName]\Documents\My Games\Napoleonic Era Beta 2

Then start NE, go to skirmish and see if you can find new maps (be sure to check the custom maps check box).

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Fixer|SS|
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject:

Thank you sir! That fix for the maps worked perfectly. I don't know why the RM3 folder in the NEBeta folder under My Games didn't have the NE maps, but I pasted the proper folder over from the program files AOE3 folder RM3 and started the game to check and sure enough it worked. So thanks very much on that!

As for the Unspecified Error thingy, one of my friends who happens to be German (and not related to me, lol) also had the error come up when he was building the deck. As far as I can tell it seems to be a temporary glitch that pops up from time to time when people either try to add new cards or build decks, and the game simply refuses to save the cards added or decks built.

I was able to circumvent it by making new home cities but I don't know if there are other, simpler solutions. As for the prospect of packing a folder, I am afraid I have no idea how to do that. Embarassed

I would be happy to learn in order to help you out, though.

And about the pancerni thing, thanks for clearing that up also. It seems silly to me though, because the only other time I can think of AOE attacks bringing treasure guardians into an otherwise exclusive fight is when cannons (whether artillery, forts, turrets, ships, etc) shoot at a target near one and the cannonball either impacts near the guardian or impacts and rolls into the guardian, and if I have cannons I probably won't mind blowing away a treasure guardian or two. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Technical Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1