Map Realism
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orwell
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Map Realism

Ok, so I just wanted to know if I was the only one who does this. So when I play AOE III, lets say I want to play as the Brits, I will make up a scenario, for this example an English colony under native(Iroquois) attack, and so with that scenario in mind I put it in Carolina and pit myself against the Iroquois. I always do that sort of thing. I never put people where they don't belong, so no Sioux in Siberia. Does anyone else do something like this?
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Every once in a while, yes. Mostly I just play on, though. Alternate history is interesting Mr. Green
Orwell
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I mean I understand that. I just always try to put the right groups on the right maps. The history(such as who is allied to who) sometimes falters.
I even sometimes role play such as playing as Americans against Sioux on Dakota Badlands (I currently have WOTTA) and then use mostly Western units. The reason I use WOTTA is actually because of my Map Realism because I feel the current NE doesn't have enough European maps. (Excuse me for this piece of criticism, I love the Scottish map though). I guess my real question is..... What do you guys do similar to this?
ACNtrooper
Swiss Guard
Swiss Guard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject:

I don't care to much in doing realistic scenarios, but I like to do realistic alliances (But I really like to do an almost fully realistic scenario on Wotta, map Asuncion, Paraguay (Me) vs Argentina and Brazil, using handicap. But some times I mix Tupis or Colombia in this scenario)
Orwell
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject:

I either don't do it at all or do it all the way. I was just doing a Mexico .vs. America on Llanos. Really fun, can't wait to see Delta's Mexico! I also love when the AI acts much like the actual historical figure or when historically accurate things happen . Well I love hearing about what you guys do that is similar to this, so please keep posting and sharing.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject:

I think the issue is that only putting civs on maps where they belong greatly limits the number of maps where you could use some of them. That, of course, is a pity. And, considering that you usually have one or a few civs you are better at, a strategic mistake.

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject:

Orwell wrote:

The reason I use WOTTA is actually because of my Map Realism because I feel the current NE doesn't have enough European maps. (Excuse me for this piece of criticism, I love the Scottish map though). I guess my real question is..... What do you guys do similar to this?

It's fine, we're perfectly aware of the lack of European maps in both, AoE3 and NE2 and have planned lots of European maps already (and only a small number of them have been announced yet).

We'll probably just make them for NE3, because that's the version of the mod we're actually looking for. NE3 will focus Europe - while keeping and expanding the non-European maps too. Smile

If you have any suggestions concerning interesting European locations, let us know!

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Orwell
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject:

The only map I've ever thought was badly needed is one of the Low Countries. I can't wait (I mean this for NE3, WoL ,and Quintessence) for new versions. Love the idea of adding new European maps, can't wait to see what is in store.
GamerLuna
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Would love more eastern european maps and maps focused in their respective civs homeland , as in the swedish civ having a sweden map etc
SpideX
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:

I used to play TWC with 3 of my friends(2vs2, always the same teams) playing battle for every single map on the American continent. Winning side always got "control" over the map that battle was fought on. We even created the "would be" colourful map where after each battle winning team got its new map coloured by their colour. It was like a campaign for us and kept us playing AoE III for long period of time always interesting and competitive.

That brings me to my point: What if the entire continent was divided to individual maps? - like the American continent in original AoE III(or TWC) is? I do not know what would the exact maps look like, just posting it here as an idea. Maybe the whole world could be someday "mapped" in AoE 3 lol
Ande59
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Maybe the whole world could be someday "mapped" in AoE 3

Even A-A-Australia? :O

Yeah that'd be great.

I would always try re-create WW1 (Have Austria, Germany, Prussia on one team, ect) in single player when I didn't have internet for a period of time. It kinda kept me sane (or maybe it was a sign of loss of sanity lol )

"German Uhlan spam is lame" -StrelletToIndustrial
AOE_Fan
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Realistic maps? Not that hard, really. Just check NE's Gibraltar; it's pretty accurate. But if you're not yet convinced here's some Australia for you:

Tilanus: If you want the code, just ask. Mr. Green
Ande59
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject:

Surprised

That is awesome! Mr. Green I'd love to play on that map. That looks great!
Although... I just don't think Australia as a map would fit in the NE context well, compared to (for example) Rhine. Still though, that's really awesome.

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

SpideX wrote:
I used to play TWC with 3 of my friends(2vs2, always the same teams) playing battle for every single map on the American continent. Winning side always got "control" over the map that battle was fought on. We even created the "would be" colourful map where after each battle winning team got its new map coloured by their colour. It was like a campaign for us and kept us playing AoE III for long period of time always interesting and competitive.

That brings me to my point: What if the entire continent was divided to individual maps? - like the American continent in original AoE III(or TWC) is? I do not know what would the exact maps look like, just posting it here as an idea. Maybe the whole world could be someday "mapped" in AoE 3 lol

Which continent? Europe? Well, we do have unannounced plans for that. Wink
Originally there was a world conquest mode planned for AoE3, but they didn't do it. I'm also familiar with your "analogue" way of a multiplayer conquest mode, I've done that with friends myself back in the days of AoE2. Smile

AOE_Fan wrote:
Realistic maps? Not that hard, really. Just check NE's Gibraltar; it's pretty accurate. But if you're not yet convinced here's some Australia for you:

Tilanus: If you want the code, just ask. Mr. Green

Hmm, it is tempting! Mr. Green On the other hand, when I see the mini-map, the map seems a lil imba regarding sea area per player, no? Surprisingly, we did once think about Australia internally.
Ande59
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject:

For the Sea Area per player problem, you could add a bit more water around the edges of the map so boats can get through, or divide the entire country into their different states...

Except you probably shouldn't... reason being is, I don't think many players will be playing on the map Australia, let alone the "state maps"

Quite interesting that the NE team thought about Australia. I didn't really expect it. Dunno why Razz

Seriously though, that mini-map is making my mouth water... I can imagine the battles already...

lol

SpideX
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodor wrote:
Which continent? Europe? Well, we do have unannounced plans for that. Wink

Really? Well, I am already looking forward to the next release!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2