ancient world map versus today
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: ancient world map versus today

Quote:

Map of the ancient world versus today? You know how the continents move a couple of centimeters per year? Well, is there any noticeable difference between the world as it was during the Ancient Greek world and now?

hmm, silly but not bad, I like this one.

Anyone other than myself interested in discussing this?*

*if so I would just delete the Post above and so get rid of the spam but not the thread Mr. Green
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject:

All hail the noble Ca Putt, saviour of babies threatened by being thrown out with the bathwater... Mr. Green

peugeot407

Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Spoiler:

thank you, thank you.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject:

It is actually a rather interesting question. Since mapmaking back then wasn't as sophisticated as it is today we can only estimate what the world looked like 2000 years ago. Continental drift is hardly noticeable over such a short period of time, but sea levels can change.

However, we are so kickass at estimating all of these changes that we probably have a much better understanding of what the ancient world looked like geographically than the ancients ever did.

Suckers Mr. Green

Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject:

Yeah, as the drift is quite slow we would need a detailed Sattelite aided map to find any differences. And unless someone actually buildt a temple on two tectonic plates it's unlikely to have been nocited by anyone.

what is sometimes quite appauling is the change in coastline due to climate change and sedimentary deposition. Thermopylae for instance now is rather a wide spot, 1km at the most narrow point. Especially funny as the old movie(The 300 Spartans) uses a battlefield thats about that size and try to block the pass with their 300 sandal-actors ^^
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject:

I think the setting in the new 300 is strangely inconsistent as well. One moment they are in a really narrow mountain pass and in the next moment on a wide beach. Why in the world anyone would run out from that mountain pass is beyond me. Plus, the entire point with the hidden path is moot when they place themselves so that they can be surrounded anyway.

But I suppose it makes for some butch fighting scenes. Mr. Green

peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject:

300: Rise of an Empire, you mean? It's just making it ever more clear that the 300 series depicts mythological versions of history rather than modern revised ones*, because the way 300:RoaE depicts ancient naval battles is, if such a thing is possible, even less accurate than the way the original 300 depicted the land fighting styles of the Greeks and Achaemenids...

peugeot407

* = Not that there is anything wrong with that...

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Wait, there is a new new one?

What's it like?

peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject:

Alrightish... The CGI is fantastic, just like in the original, and it's got that same mythological aura about it, but all-in-all, I did find it a somewhat less enjoyable experience than the first 300.

peugeot407

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject:

peugeot407 wrote:
Alrightish... The CGI is fantastic, just like in the original, and it's got that same mythological aura about it, but all-in-all, I did find it a somewhat less enjoyable experience than the first 300.

Agreed, I enjoyed the first 300 more as well. 300 is not about mythology though even claims to be historical, but it's a film adaption of a comic! I was thinking this should've been clear to everyone after the first 300 movie..

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Well, it's not full-on mythology, but it is the folk rendition of historical events heavily influenced by Greek culture, mythology and general war propaganda... It's not history as it happened, but it is aiming to recreate history the way the Greeks viewed it.

peugeot407

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject:

What? Greeks and history revisionism? No, that's not sensible Devil

I suppose I have to see it then. I actually thought the first 300 was a bit silly, if perhaps objectively well made. I have a feeling, from what I hear from you, I'd find this new one even sillier.

I mean, why call it 300, for starters?

peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject:

More to the point; why call it "Rise of an Empire" when the running plot of the 300 series is the Persian Empire, the only empire to be featured, consistently getting their days ruined?

peugeot407

Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject:

nah, Peugeot. Tilanus is spot on here. Greeks would not have viewed the battle in that way. they knew how spartans looked. Also there were no "beats" at thermopylae nobody ever claimed that. So putting Rhinos and Mumakils in is just plain silly. Also the Greeks would have remembered the Thespians the Phokans and(in a different sence) the Thebans;) Also why would Greeks see the Immortals as masked ninjas? they don'T know ninjas. And Xerxes, would rather be viewed as dark little bearded man.

It's a comic adaptation, like batman. If you take it as that it's a great movie^^.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

It's a bit of a shame, really. As if the actual story isn't interesting or captivating enough. Sure, everything needs to be adopted to make a good film, but there is no need to overdo it. The spotty little teenaged monsters who wants to see fantasy creatures and excessive blood and gore can watch Yo Gi Oh with red sunglasses or something.

Personally I'd like to see a new, well made, film about either Alexander or the 30 years war. Or perhaps a television series would be better. 30 years war would be nice because there are so many different people you could follow. A bit like Game of Thrones, but for real.

Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject:

I'd watch that movie!

Or I could get paid for commenting: "well that helmet would be sort of a stretch" on the usage of corinthean helmets:D
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2