some suggestions, errors and questions
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Forum Index -> NE Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Okay, since you guys wrote a lot again, please give me time and wait until I can answer to that.
kangcliff
NE Guard
NE Guard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
SWISS: followers dont switch their tactis back and this dont let them hunt. And more supplywagons as you said: "would be better"
ITALIANS: a really reduced numer of merchants (~41), I think the AI dont send enough city cards(I also think that Papal States card should always be in the AI's deck). And the no construction of the Basilica.
AMERICANS: the problem with many villagers staring at the ranch doing nothing.

Followers:
I think hunting is enabled in stealth mode is enabled in an earlier version,but it's again disabled. Tilanus will answer your question for this. :p

The merchant build limit can be increased by the sending city cards,and the maximum amount is ~46 if I remember.So,the AI will use the maximum amount of merchants if it does send these cards.Concerning 'Papal States',it will only have chance to be included if you're playing at level above 40.

Ranch:
That does happen on Japanese Shrines as well,that is a problem caused by the game code itself.
(Currently, our AI is based on the Draugur AI, which is an improvement to the original AI)

As someone said here,the AI script will be improved in a later version.The whole structure needs to be redesigned to fix something like the Ranch problem you mentioned here.
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject:

As native Polish speaker I must say some of the Polish units' names hurt my eyes and I am eager to help you with that. The problem is most of them use plural instead of singular and if you add English plural suffix you end up with double pluralisation (in English it would look like e.g. Skirmisherses lol), so there's a choice to be made whether to use English or Polish plurals, for me it makes no difference as long as there are no mistakes. Also, Hodowlany definitely needs renaming, I'd opt for Folwark. I know there's a HC card is named Folwark, I think Refeudalisation (or spelled with 'z' instead of 's' if you're American, but I've been taught British English for my whole life) would be a good name for it, as it was the phenomenon responsible for the increase of agrar production in Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in 16th and 17th century.

Here are singulars and plurals of Polish names you use and for folwark:
singular Folwark Arrow plural Folwarki
singular Szlachcic Arrow plural Szlachcice
singular Lisowczyk Arrow plural Lisowczycy
singular Petyhorzec Arrow plural Petyhorcy
singular Pancerny Arrow plural Pancerni
singular Partyzant Arrow plural Partyzanci
singular Tabor Arrow plural Tabory (BTW I honestly hope you remove it from Polish civ, it's Czech/Tatar unit, not Polish)

Also I'm quite surprised you don't have Twierdza Zamość as Polish fort name - it was the biggest and longest-run fortress in the Commonwealth and the last one besieged in partitioned Poland before World War I. Also, Krzyżtopór is misspelled, in game the name says Krzysztopór (in speech both sound the same).

Oh, and I think Polish Capitol looks a bit too Russian...

If you need any help with Polish names or historical relevance feel free to ask (unlike Tilanus I like PMs, but I'll try to spot the issues posted on the forum as well). I will write about any doubts regarding them on the forum.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Pawelec_POLAND wrote:
As native Polish speaker I must say some of the Polish units' names hurt my eyes and I am eager to help you with that. The problem is most of them use plural instead of singular and if you add English plural suffix you end up with double pluralisation (in English it would look like e.g. Skirmisherses lol), so there's a choice to be made whether to use English or Polish plurals, for me it makes no difference as long as there are no mistakes. Also, Hodowlany definitely needs renaming, I'd opt for Folwark. I know there's a HC card is named Folwark, I think Refeudalisation (or spelled with 'z' instead of 's' if you're American, but I've been taught British English for my whole life) would be a good name for it, as it was the phenomenon responsible for the increase of agrar production in Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in 16th and 17th century.

Actually we have already decided the renaming to Folwark long time ago. It is already in effect in my game files and will be fixed in the next version. Also, thanks for the Refeudalisation tip, I used it. Smile

Quote:
Here are singulars and plurals of Polish names you use and for folwark:
singular Folwark Arrow plural Folwarki
singular Szlachcic Arrow plural Szlachcice
singular Lisowczyk Arrow plural Lisowczycy
singular Petyhorzec Arrow plural Petyhorcy
singular Pancerny Arrow plural Pancerni
singular Partyzant Arrow plural Partyzanci
singular Tabor Arrow plural Tabory (BTW I honestly hope you remove it from Polish civ, it's Czech/Tatar unit, not Polish)

Thanks, while I was aware of most singular-plural cases (I always ask for those) I noted the ones I don't know. Don't worry about the Tabor, we will probably discard them.

By the way: If you have more examples for incorrect singular and plural cases (i.e. HC cards), please let me know.

Quote:
Also I'm quite surprised you don't have Twierdza Zamość as Polish fort name - it was the biggest and longest-run fortress in the Commonwealth and the last one besieged in partitioned Poland before World War I. Also, Krzyżtopór is misspelled, in game the name says Krzysztopór (in speech both sound the same).

Thanks a lot for pointing that out, fixed it. Smile

Quote:
Oh, and I think Polish Capitol looks a bit too Russian...

You mean the Capitol building or the homecity?

Quote:
If you need any help with Polish names or historical relevance feel free to ask (unlike Tilanus I like PMs, but I'll try to spot the issues posted on the forum as well). I will write about any doubts regarding them on the forum.

As we're currently planning to improve the Polish civ, I would indeed appreciate your feedback on questions that evolve during that concepting phase. One particular aspect I want to improve is to point out that the Polish civ also includes the Lithuanians. I've already taken some actions to stress that, but I'd appreciate any info you can provide me regarding unique Lithuanian components in the PLC.

Regardings PMs: The problem with them for me is, if you're a mod leader like me, various people will send you multiple PMs at certain times. It's much better for me if you post in the appropriate topics. You may want to look for the Polish thread here and post your ideas and suggestions there since this particular topic has a very diffuse topic description.
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject:

I hope you won't remove Tabors in general, they are great to form a box to keep your artillery safe... Maybe make them a native unit?

I'll take a look at the HC cards and tech names to see if they are correct.

About the Capitol I mean the building, it reminds me of an orthodox church with it's mosquesque (word formation pun intended) domes and I see the Swedish one looks the same, isn't there a way to replace them with something less Russian?
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject:

I've planned to send modified Tabors from HC only.

Please continue our discussion about Poland-Lithuania in your respective thread about it. I dislike discussing multiple, different topics in the same topic.
Edeholland
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Americans:
Infantry (SA, Fencing School, Ellis Island -30%, French Army -10%) Exclamation
Cavalry (MC, Riding School, Ellis Island -30%, French Army -10%) Exclamation

Could you tell me why this is problematic? Especially since USA's units are low-cost low-stats. They are, or will be, like the new Russia, with fast training, good trading but low stat infantry.

Quote:
Austria:
-Grenzer (are they labelled as light infantry? Because they are only affected by SA and Military frontier (-25%) as Austria lacks fencing schoolmaking all their infantry except Grenzers train terrible slowly) Exclamation
-Cavalry (MC, Riding School and TEAM Balkan Cavalry -25% [even though Austria was more famous for it's Puszta-cavalry which is not the Balkan) Exclamation
-Natives (Indigenes Bündnis -40%, Advanced Embassy -100% [only at native embassies though]) Exclamation

Why is this problematic?

Sidenote: I think that a team card for instant cav is indeed overpowered, but we are talking about only Austria here.

Quote:
Italy:
Crossbows+Pavise (SA, Fencing School, Citizien Milita -50%) Exclamation

I wonder why you think this is problematic.
Quote:
Mercenary (Mercenary Contracts -85%, still benefit from other techs according to their unit type) Exclamation

I agree on this. I have already proposed a possible solution, and it's highly likely that this will be nerfed.
Quote:
Culverins (TEAM Early Culverins -60%, Capitol)

I must agree the total card can be too strong, but why is the instant culvs problematic?

Quote:
Prussia:
-Cavalry (MC, Riding School, Spanish Riding School -40%, Rapid Mobilization at the university -15%) Exclamation

I agree that ths should be nerfed a little bit. Prussia has an unique technology that allows them to train cav faster. This would go well with removing the MC from the card choice. It would still give them an advantage, because they have another card they can send instead. Also, the 3 cards that increase unit training speed are always used in combination with the other boni of the civ. Example: Ottoman have fast art training but not fast inf, because they have powerful art, but you don't want instant abus. Brits doesn't have fast art, because their inf/cav is outstanding, but are weak at art.

Quote:
Sweden:
Infantry (SA, Fencing School, Allotment System -30%) Exclamation
Cavalry (MC, Riding School, Allotment System -30%) Exclamation
Artillery (Engineering School, Capitol, Allotment System -30%) Exclamation

Why exactly is this a problem?

Quote:
Swiss:
Hand Infantry (SA, Fencing School, TEAM Peasant Mility -35%) Exclamation

Could you tell me what is wrong with this?
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject:

I have some doubts about the civs' flags. I'm not sure if they are all historically relevant, I'm sure Polish isn't but I wrote about it on the other thread as Tilanus asked me to do.

EDIT: Also, I think the specific character of Italy and Switzerland in terms of their internal politics should be somehow reflected, but preferably without much impact on the civs as they play quite nicely at the moment. TO make no gameplay changes I would suggest revamping the age-up politicians only by renaming them and changing their portraits. For Italians they could be aristocratic houses and for Swiss the cantons, all having coat of arms instead of politician portrait.
Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject:

To sum it up before going into details: spreading instant units along civs is a bad way of balancing. It is possible that it's not as problemtic for high-ranked players (such as you) but surely it spoils the fun for a lot of other players. Also most civs do not have a serious downside to their instant-training bonus. It's more of an issue in team games, which take longer more often than 1vs1 of course.

US:
I can only consider what I currently see in the game. And at the moment US-units are at least average except Marines. And having both, infantry and cavalry train instantly is sort of ridicolous as it's also supported by a good economy.

Austria:
Instant cavalry could be appropriate for Austria, that's true. One issue is that explorers can hussars and with instant ones it's easy to abuse (so if instant cavalry training is to be kept which thematically fits to Austria with the Spanish Riding School at least the explorer's ability to train hussars should not train them instantly). Also instant natives can become an issue with high-siege-damage unit such as Wurttembergian grenadiers which goes terribly well with the aforementioned hussar spawn. Also Grenzers were never a main focus of the Austrian army but more of a support force. At the moment you are left with spawning them until your wood ressources are done in lategame.

Italy:
Instant crossbowmen is of course nothing to fear but as it also affects Pavise it absolutely makes up for the Italian lack of skirmishers as those are available to Italians at any map as long as they send the Genoese-city-shipment. Culverins are a problem because it simply disables artillery as an option against a team with Italy as they can always spawn a single culverin quickly when needed and destroy your artillery force at any time.

Prussia:
MC is not a card but a church tech (masscavalry). Also Prussia has formidable infantry, good cavalry and standard artillery while their economy is standard. So I do not see why they should get any instant units. Removing the Spanish Riding School is the way to go in my opinion.

Sweden:
Sweden already having extra-strong units being able to train them instantly is so ridicolous I cannot seriously assume a reason why you would doubt this. Even though this drains heavily on the Swedish economy which is not that great it absolutely contradicts the principles of balancing. If you have weak quick spawning units, the enemy is capable of fending them off but if you have super strong ones which you can bring to battlefield instantly you can easily break the enemies lines and end the game.

Swiss:
This is not a very big issue as the Swiss of course have a serious downside. Still, as their army mainly consists of hand infantry (Reisläufer, Halberdiers and those Swiss Guards) I doubt it's good to have them train instantly. Also remember it affects mercenaries of the hand-infantry type as well (pikemen and ronins are always available). This is debatable though, still I would at least disable the team component.
Quote:

Tilanus wrote:
Okay, since you guys wrote a lot again, please give me time and wait until I can answer to that.

You do not have to stick to replying to this whole mess of a topic. If you noticed and maybe even took some notes at least, that would be enough for me.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3