My suggestions to the website

Forum Index -> Website feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GamerLuna
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: My suggestions to the website

Greetings. I have a couple suggestions to the website that should make the experience for the end user much smoother.
1. I myself am on dialup because i live in a remote village in Estonia and cant choose other isp . As many of you know dialup is a major pain in the ass , myself i was promised FULL 56K yeah but most of the time i get 33k , on some days 16k and when there is crap weather 6kb/s . Most of the time the forums load fine but on those crappy days it takes painfully slow to load especially the background so i would appreciate if there was some basic HTML option , kind of like gmail does that removes the bell and whistles and leaves just text.
2. I noticed the mac installer version dosent have any torrent added yet. I myself dont use mac but i have seen some users on the forum use it so it would be great if you added it . Also thanks Da BOZZ for adding the torrent in the first place.
3. It would be nice if the file inside the torrent , (reffering to the installer ) was zipped ,rared or otherwise compressed , as i know today most archive managers manage to compress it to half of its original size and with a crappy connection there is a difference if im downloading 75mb or 37,5 mb.
4. Fancy Buttons for the torrent downloads as well ,because why not Mr. Green but on seriousness though , most torrent clients today use magnet links http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_URI_scheme , and just clicking the button and having your torrent would be much easier and faster to download the .torrent file . But please keep the .torrent files to in the download section below becausen especially on linux i know most torrent clients do not support it so you have to manually copy it but in windows most ones do. Not sure about mac because i dont use one.
kangcliff
NE Guard
NE Guard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject:

I agree that the forum needs to be somehow redesigned,either simplifying the page for slow connections,or to have a new fresh look since it's pretty outdated.But,we already have a lot to work on of the mod itself,I'll say,the website redesign will be in low priority.

About the file compression,we already used the best compressions for the smallest file sizes.

We'll make a torrent for the Mac Installer soon.I know you're suggesting a magnet link due to the slow connection of some people,but having too many links on the download page doesnt look nice either,and it can be misdirecting.Above all,thanks for your suggestions,and your passion on helping us in anyway.
Da Bozz
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject:

@3. The files in the installers are - as kangcliff already said - compressed from about 275 MB to about 75 MB and 120 MB.

@4. We have a custom torrent tracker running on our server which helps speed up the download process and gives us some basic overview over the number of downloads. Unfortunately, via magnet links, trackers aren't supported anymore, so this is not an option for us.
GamerLuna
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Glad to hear that the forum is getting a redesign . Wow i didnt know they were compressed , also the installer looks very beautiful . I wasent aware that magnet links didnt support trackers so my bad. Heh if its seems im spamming im not i just love this mod a bunch.
Da Bozz
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject:

GamerLuna wrote:
Glad to hear that the forum is getting a redesign . Wow i didnt know they were compressed , also the installer looks very beautiful . I wasent aware that magnet links didnt support trackers so my bad. Heh if its seems im spamming im not i just love this mod a bunch.

We are always in the mood for a little chat. Glad you're enjoying it! Smile
GamerLuna
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject:

How is 2.2 progressing if you can give me a secret sneak peak to the curtains behind the dark arts of modding , i can give you my first born child if you want Mr. Green if that helps to get the answer
Da Bozz
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject:

GamerLuna wrote:
How is 2.2 progressing if you can give me a secret sneak peak to the curtains behind the dark arts of modding , i can give you my first born child if you want Mr. Green if that helps to get the answer

Hehe, we have a standard smiley for the question when the final release is ready: When it's done!
GamerLuna
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Heh the emotions i feel towards waiting for the mod is like a little kid is waiting for a christmas present Mr. Green
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject:

If you're having trouble with the images taking a long time to load - have you tried to disable them in your browser?

I know Sufjanfan said he did.

GamerLuna
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject:

No i havent , odd that i never came to that idea Razz
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Sometimes the simplest solutions aren't the most obvious Razz

GamerLuna
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Your wisdom is of Gandal and Dumbledore infused into a single potato
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Website feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1