Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swedenpaul
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject:

@Ande59

OFC culverins, but you can mass this cannon so incredibly that it will be like culverins vs. hand mortar (comparing the quantity not the "what counters what" thingy). So although I would like the swedish to be the most powerful civ, I feel like I have to tell the modders about it, because I spent so many hours in this game and had so many moments of anger about some of the unbalances, it would be sad if there was a new mod with lots of people playing it but without a rebalanced Aoe you know :/

@Tilanus Commodor (<- Confused )

Nice! Thank you Smile could you tell me which points exactly you couldn't agree with? Because I wonder which ones you ment.
RoyalGuard
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject:

<3
Ande59
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject:

@swedenpaul

I understand what you mean in terms of massing (and I actually tried this in a game. It gets quite out of hand), but each and every civ has it's little pro's and con's that makes it different from others. Sweden, whilst a military powerhouse, cannot sustain itself in long/treaty games against defensive economy giants such as Portugal, France, Italy... you get the idea. Massing the leather cannons, whilst strong, chews through your gold, and Sweden will no longer be able to handle in the long-haul fights (unless somehow it uses its giant wood pile on what, hand cannons? lol ), but you already mentioned their economy is not great for treaty games. (Did I just repeat myself? Confused I do that a lot)

I agree with you entirely on this "cannon spam" issue though. Rush games where people Fast-Fortress and spam the living hell out of Bronze/Leather cannons are annoying. I just don't think they should change it because it's both a Pro and Con on the Swedish civ. (Instant cannons: Pro. Chews through gold: Con.)

Quote:
it would be sad if there was a new mod with lots of people playing it but without a rebalanced Aoe you know :/

I strongly agree. Please be aware that, no. I am not having a go at you or your queries, I am trying to show you a different way to look at the issue. If however, it feels like I am "shoving my views down your throat", please let me know so I can change how I do these things Razz Apologies in advance.

"German Uhlan spam is lame" -StrelletToIndustrial
Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject:

I guess you know that already but there is already a Church tech with Wild Geese (I think it's with Spain) so that should be changed accordingly when the mercenary unit becomes available.

I'm especially looking forward to the Danes which seem to fit my preferred playstyle. I'm wondering though what happend to their unique rocket unit? I was pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere that Danes would get special rockets. I even did a quick internet research but in fact I didn't found anything about Denmark and rockets. So-is this a trick of my brain? Confused

As mentioned before-in a rather drunk state as Tilanus noticed correctly-a stunning update with lots of interesting information. I even noticed an increased popularity of NE at ESO. So that's another nice thing.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Silmariel wrote:
I guess you know that already but there is already a Church tech with Wild Geese (I think it's with Spain) so that should be changed accordingly when the mercenary unit becomes available.

Sure, we know that and already found a replacement for that. Wink

Quote:
I'm especially looking forward to the Danes which seem to fit my preferred playstyle. I'm wondering though what happend to their unique rocket unit? I was pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere that Danes would get special rockets. I even did a quick internet research but in fact I didn't found anything about Denmark and rockets. So-is this a trick of my brain? Confused

The Espingol. Well, I originally wanted this unit for Danes, but there was an issue with our timeline, which is why we dropped it. So, it's not a trick, you just remember only half the story. Mr. Green I haven't completely given up though, so there's still a chance they get Rockets. If not via Factory, then probably via HC or alike. Wink

Quote:
As mentioned before-in a rather drunk state as Tilanus noticed correctly-a stunning update with lots of interesting information. I even noticed an increased popularity of NE at ESO. So that's another nice thing.

I knew it! lol

Really? How does the new popularity look like?

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
CasualBeta
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject:

"However, there is one thing we've been working on before we decided to put more efforts into polishing NE2, which is a new villager system. Don't worry, we won't be splitting up the eco with dozens of additional villager units, but we'll keep it all fixed in one.

The idea is that Settlers will upgrade like military units and exist in three stages, which are Serf → Peasant → Citizen. There can be unique upgrades per civ, both visually and statistically. Part of the civ boni in NE3 will be the stages at which the civs start. Civs starting with Serfs and possibly having upgrades available in a later age than other civs have more vulnerable settlers and are hence easier to raid.
These upgrades have no impact on gather rates or unit costs."

Tilanus Commodor what changes (stats wise) are you planning to put in place? The gathering rate? The combat stats? Or something else?
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject:

The quote actually answers your question already:

Arrow These upgrades have no impact on gather rates or unit costs.
Arrow Settlers will upgrade like military units

Wink

CasualBeta
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodor wrote:
The quote actually answers your question already:

Arrow These upgrades have no impact on gather rates or unit costs.
Arrow Settlers will upgrade like military units

Wink

Derp. Embarassed lol Topmodel
Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodor wrote:

How does the new popularity look like?

Well, it's only a personal view. But at least for me, you do not have to schedule all matches anymore. Most of the time, someone else who plays NE is online.
Ande59
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject:

You are right, although the majority of players lock their games :'(

swedenpaul
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject:

@Ande59

I guess you are right with the eco thing. Swedish eco makes them weaker in order to balance their overpowered military, but cannon spam is not acceptable in any way for treaty players. sorry. That would make this game just not funny any more. I really like short training times for artillery, but spamming is not the way to go for making a good game.

and with the last thing you said:

I am not sure what you want to tell me with you post ... you agree but you say no and then you apologize for something I didn't really get ... explain it to me again please Smile

@others

Yeah I often see people playing NE on ESO these days! Thats fantastic!
Ivenend
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject:

Any chance to desgin a unit like this for the Austrian faction, maybe replace the current Landsknecht or being a upgrade of the Doppelsoldner?
These are Habsburgian soilders wielding german two-hander during Austro-Ottoman war in about 1590. Unlike the 'Doppelsoldner' during the Italian wars in late 15th and early 16th century, they're dress in Spanish or Dutch style.

Spoiler:

Ande59
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject:

@SwedenPaul

I just read my reply... that was all over the place. What I was trying to say was:

I agree with the issue, I don't think they should change it though. Smile

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject:

That's a nice image Ivenend, where exactly did you take it from? It reminds me a bit of this one:

Bremer Soldaten - Koster-Chronik - 17. Jahrhundert
(17th century town militiamen from Bremen, Germany)

They seem to have the same sort of equipment. However, I don't think this works well for a later Doppelsoldner upgrade. Even though we're not as strict with visual upgrade policies as AoE3 (which always makes units appear heavier), I do think it would neither be a worthy gain nor pleasing to upgrade a Doppelsoldner in full armour to some unarmoured simple guy with a funny feather hat. It just fails to visually express the power an Imperial Doppelsoldner has in regards of its stats. Wink

We have, however, done a trick for Crossbowmen and Halberdiers that will appear in NE 2.2. They will look more contemporary and no longer medieval. But I struggle to create a historically fictive Doppelsöldner design that would suit a point in time that, let's say, is at least somewhere around 1700. It'd surely look funny though. I love anachronisms. Mr. Green

Ivenend
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodor wrote:
That's a nice image Ivenend, where exactly did you take it from?

http://www.hroarr.com/articles-reviews/galleries/longswords-zweihander-schlachtschwert/

And you will find some other pictures about two-hander soilder during 1580s-1590s in this link too.

Tilanus Commodor wrote:
However, I don't think this works well for a later Doppelsoldner upgrade. Even though we're not as strict with visual upgrade policies as AoE3 (which always makes units appear heavier), I do think it would neither be a worthy gain nor pleasing to upgrade a Doppelsoldner in full armour to some unarmoured simple guy with a funny feather hat. It just fails to visually express the power an Imperial Doppelsoldner has in regards of its stats. Wink

We have, however, done a trick for Crossbowmen and Halberdiers that will appear in NE 2.2. They will look more contemporary and no longer medieval. But I struggle to create a historically fictive Doppelsöldner design that would suit a point in time that, let's say, is at least somewhere around 1700. It'd surely look funny though. I love anachronisms. Mr. Green

Doesn't need to be the upgrade of Doppelsoldner, Maybe use it to design a mercenary unit?
Ivenend
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject:

And I try to make a model according to the panting, using the Dutch Geuzen model in NE as the base model. It doesn't look bad though the texture may not be suitable enough.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5