Modding Report #23
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject:

@gandalfDK: So close! Mr. Green You said something about politicial influence, which is something I can agree with. They'll also have a very military side though. We haven't planned special hero-like units, but I will take this as a suggestion if you like. I'd also rather feature Hugenottes in the French and German civilization.

Silmariel wrote:
The mangudai is recognizable indeed. In fact it's actually a pretty well done native tribe (except for they native portrait itself...). Wikipedia also says that the term was not only used for Mongolian cavalry but also tatarian one so that seems to fit. One could expand them to include the Crimean Khanate though.

Thanks to see that happen.

What's wrong with the portrait? I like it for its smile. Mr. Green What you said about Mangudai and Crimean Khanate (and Nogai) is true, which is indeed why I considered the transformation. If we would realize Tatar natives, then these would be the Crimean Tatars.

Quote:
About the coexistance of cavalry archers-do not forget that native units do not need popspace-so they can still be a worthy addition to any army even if they already have superb anti-cavalry. Also Russia seriously lacks anti-cavalry in age II where neither cavalry archers nor halberdiers are available. One can of course keep this weakness intentionally but native units would be an option to resolve this.
There is still a progressing list of natives if I'm correct (Vlachs, you have been talking about Greeks etc.) so there should be something for everyone I guess.

You don't need to worry about Russians, I have some plans with them. Wink The point you make about pop is a good one, but usually people rather invest in boosters from HC. While natives cost no pop, they're usually inferior to regulars and mercs and everyone who's already a bit of a stable player will take care to be able to constantly build the better troops and everybody knows how important the requirement is to not get housed. I may look for possibilities though, since nothing is wrong with possibilities, which you can choose when you think you'll need them. This is surely interesting for treaty games or players who prefer to play in later ages with full armies than try to defeat the enemy as quick as possible. In these ages, however, the gap between natives and regulars is even larger than early on. So even though you can achieve quantitive superiority with them, they're not more useful than in the age 2 case you were giving. In fact, natives are mostly what you train first when there's nothing else to train.

Quote:
That's an impressive list of guard units I'm really excited about Denmark, you are doing a great job Smile
But please assess the Danish Uhlans balance-wise. Even though Uhlans are a good unit in early ages if you can mass them (that's with the free uhlans Germany got). But they are pretty weak later on. With Germany they had 4(!) homecity cards which increased their combat abilities (45% to each, more than any other unit), 1 homecity cards which boosts their speed and a royal guard upgrade and still they were hardly a threat to any unit at latter stages of the game. My intention is not to give the Danes an uber-cav or suggest the removal of the uhlan but to advice you to keep and eye on balance issues that could emerge.

I can not fully agree with this analysis, but I do see that Uhlans will have a tricky time in late game when they lack upgrades like Germany had them in AoE3. So I might also re-consider a RG upgrade, a HC card or simply exchange them with hussars.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject:

About the new native game: Catalans may revolt against Spanish (maybe also French) and Hugenottes against French or Germans, I bet they are somehow linked with the revolutions - changing costs, enabling new units/techs or maybe even new politicians.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject:

I have revolutions on our to-do list for NE 2.2. Let's see how it turns out. These revolutions usually turn your civ into a revolting colony though and Catalans are a people and not a federal state or colony within the Spanish empire. Same applies to Hugenottes.

They would work as politicians though or HC cards.

WilliamWAS
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Norwegian Skitroops! Please!

You should add norwegian skitroops as one of Denmarks special units. They were elite units from Norway that was used in the Danish-Swedish war of 1805.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Mr_JR resurrected ^^

I'm sorry if you don't get that joke. Razz Welcome Newcomer!

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject:

No worries William, that will happen. Smile

Violet Herald
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject:

Ooooohhhh, I maybe late, but better late than never!

How about the Burgundians as EU natives?
They were still a bit prominent in the era even though they were already getting slaughtered.

And how about adding Holsteinians to the Danish and Timurid units to the Persians? Those two did constitute part of the two civs at that time.
Sindir
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Hi there!
Im new here - only to post this idea ^^
So firt at all: sorry for my bad english...

The Frisian

I think the Frisians would be really great new european natives.
They were a independent culture from the time of rome to our time now.
Also their territory was very important to many faktions of this time.

Many german states want to have it, the prussian needed it because of the superior port-city Emden and also the Danisch tried to get it.
The netherland conquered it and they were long time under their control,
but still more or less independent.
Also the French conquered it.

Actually i dont have any idea about special military units,
but their culture brings many ideas for research-techs.
For example:
They were the first who were able to cultivate and colonise moors,
so they got more room for people and agriculture and founded many Fehn-colonies.

-So one tech could be called: "Fehnsiedlung"
The effekt could be to buff the food-gatheringrate (more room for fields)
or to make settlers cheaper (more room for the population)
-Also, as already mentioned with the city of Emden the Frisian had the best port of this era.
So the tech "Port of Emden" could buff ships or the trade in any way.
That all for the moment Wink
Thanks for reading this and for all your comments and suggestions![img][/img][img][/img]
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject:

Pardon my late reply. Frisians would be limited to a hypothetical Low countries map, no? Possibly a map featuring Northern Germany could have them too.

I don't think a military unit would be needed, an eco unit makes more sense. I agree that Frisians possess a unique culture and traditional craftmanships that would be worth showing. I don't know if that is enough though to justify a minor civilization as opposed to include the Frisians as part of the Dutch and German major civilization.

Sindir
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject:

No problem and thanks for your comments Wink

If you think they arent enough for a minor european nativ-civilisation
then they would fit best as a part of the dutch.
But they always switched their "ruler-nation" or their allies and also were
an independent kingdom for some time... so i dont think they should only be a part of anything.
Especially because the dutch already have a wide selection of
special dutch units, techs and kulture and also they have these many
cultures of their colonisations.
Also when they were part of a bigger empire, they still
kept their independents and they had an own democratic council (one of the first democratic rulership).
And remember: they had the best port (Emden) of this time Wink
and lay at very importend traderoutes.

And for the maps they could appear in:
- there could be, as you already mentioned, a flat type of map, set somewhere between north germany and east netherland.
- and also a map with many little islands along the coastline of the netherlands, northgermany and westdenmark (maybee including a
oversea traderoute (if this is possible?)

Also you the frisian minor civ could combine the north frisian and the east frisian, the east frisian also settled in the south of denmark, so the frisian also could appear in a denish map (cause i know you guys are working on the denisch civilisation ^^ )
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject:

They would fit best for the Dutch, because the Frisians are mainly located in Dutch home territory. The Frisians are a people which always lived within different states, but it were the Dutch United Provinces that managed to claim this territory for themselves. The Frisian kingdom is not within the NE timeline.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5