Set up a strategy guide

Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brozzo
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Set up a strategy guide

After quite a while I have time to play NE again a bit more intensive, I'm not so into strategies, so what I would like to know are the basic strategies to manage defensive and offensive people, how to start of good. I read the threads so far, but which are general characteristics you would recommend to improve my game performance.

I am happy to hear your suggestions
Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject:

I do not know your set of skills so it's difficult to give an appropriate answer. In addition do you want advice about NE's civ specialities or about general strategies that apply to standard AoE III as well?

The basic (golden) rules for AoE III:
1.Age up as fast as possible
2.Keep up constant villager production
3.Know your units/the countersystem
4.Know your gathering rates (hunting is the best food source for example)

This will lead you as far as to ~pr15 on eso.
If anybody wants to add something to the list, please, feel welcome to do so.
stubbo
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Use complimentary units when attacking (e.g. infantry backed up by ranged units that counter the infantry's counters).

Make sure your card deck compliments the approach to your play/helps counter what you expect your opponent to do.

Don't let the French get to Age 5 with their fully upgraded instant Gendarmes and powerful economy Smile
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:

As Silmariel implied, the general truths of AoE III strategy apply to NE as well. There are heaps of strategies described if you have a look around the internet, and many of them in basic form aren't difficult to extrapolate and apply to NE.

Ande59
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The basic (golden) rules for AoE III:
1.Age up as fast as possible

In Rush/Supremacy games, yes. Treaty, however, That's not necessary.

Adding to list: 5. Know your civ! You'll have a better chance of winning if you know how to play your civ as effectively as you can. Now I don't mean, (for example) stick to playing France and France only just to spam Gendarmes. It gets boring, fast. Trust me. Devil

"German Uhlan spam is lame" -StrelletToIndustrial
Brozzo
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

What I have read somewhere, and from a book I once bought are the following things, to give you an idea of how skilled I am :

1: First Age train settlers send them hunting, one for wood until reach of second age
2: Second Age, train first soldiers and try to get up as fast as you can
than I miss information, how do I specialize.

I think I know more or less how to play a rush game, for example with the United States, just spam those cheap footsoldiers to kill your enemy by mass, but I recently played portuguese, and I guess for my missing skills it just sucks, and I dont get along well. I searched a bit, but was not so successfull, finding information regarding each particular people. Will continue my search, but in general, what do I need for a Boom Strategy and for Rush, and which people are more defensive or more offensive to play.

thanks for helping Smile
Ande59
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
for example with the United States, just spam those cheap footsoldiers to kill your enemy by mass, but I recently played portuguese, and I guess for my missing skills it just sucks, and I dont get along well,

Aha! There's your issue. It's not about you missing skill, you just know and understand Americans better than Portuguese! (Talkin' Civ here) I assume you attempted your US strategy with the Ports? As I mentioned earlier,
Quote:
You'll have a better chance of winning if you know how to play your civ as effectively as you can.

Now for your question:
Quote:
which people are more defensive or more offensive to play.

I have categorized each civ into Defensive (Turtlers), Rushers and Boomers. Most fit into two of the three. THERE IS NO ULTIMATE CIV. Each civ has their Advantages and Disadvantages (More on that in a later post probably)
Now I'm not going to include the TWC civs, as I don't think many people play them on NE... (did you know there are 'Arsenal' Upgrades for Aztec in their Houses?, Did you know Sioux gets 1 Bison per card (almost), and their Bison cards are now infinite?) (Thanks NE team. Mr. Green ). I can and will edit this later if people would like them included.

Exclamation (This is MY opinion, some people may not agree with me on this) Exclamation

Defensive Civs (AKA. Civs that are good for 'Turtling'):
Spoiler:

Italy (extra % of health for buildings)
Poland (although less health for buildings, cheaper and thus, can pop up many towers fast)
Sweden (Units are slightly stronger [I think 10%, someone can correct me on that Confused] but more expensive, if you survive your opponent's first wave you can hit them back just as hard)
Prussia (Free units upon building military buildings)
China (Banner Armies train 2 types of units, easy to cover weaknesses of one type)
Austria (Cheap but powerful towers)

I'd include Portugal in here, but the Extra HP on walls card has been moved to age 4, making it slightly harder to be defensive, but others might disagree with me on that one.

Offensive civs (The Rush Civs):
Spoiler:

India (Fort wonder, strong musketeers and age 2 skirmishers)
Russia (Cheap but weak Fast training Infantry early game, easy to mass and outnumber)
Ottomans (Janissaries have a ton of health)
Swiss (Very early age 2, settlers are back-up-skirmishers)
America (Cheap musketeers easy to mass and outnumber your opponent)
Prussia (Free units upon building military buildings)
Japan (More units for free)
Quote:
(Quote from the game) Most unit shipments can be sent twice

Booming Civs:
Spoiler:

Portugal (Free TC wagon per age, thus more settler training places earlier. Did you also know they get the Age 1 Hunting tech (Hunting Dogs) free?)
Poland (Early farm and no hunting allowed, thus almost being an "unraidable" civ)
British (+1 Settler per manor built, easy to boost your economy early)
Italy and France (their unique settlers gather faster)
America (Many settler types to help gather different resources at faster rates)
Dutch (Banks generate gold, now gets increased gather rate with plantation cards. THANK YOU NE TEAM!!!!)
Russia (Settlers train in batches of 3, 10 food cheaper per settler (total 270 food instead of 300), and according to the official AOE3 page, trains faster than 3 regular settlers)
Germany (Settler wagons gather 2x faster than usual settlers! Mr. Green)
Japan (Settler cards can be sent twice, shrines gather food and wood (in age 2) and gold (in age 3), to help boom your economy)
Austria (Cheap settlers)
Sweden (Age 1 market upgrades are free, + free woodcutting upgrades)
Swiss (Free settlers, fast gather rate)

Ahem. Now. For strategy. Whether it be boom or rush, the key things you will need are:
1. (Top Priority here), Your comfort zone. Find it, and try break it.
Honestly. If you're too comfortable, you probably need to change your playstyle, even a slight bit. (Make 1 more settler before aging. Or make 1 less settler before aging. Or gathering 200 wood before hunting at the start of the game for extra houses)
2. (Kinda thought this was Top Priority), Keep making Villagers! Even if you only have two in the queue, so long as you keep making them, you will be helping your economy. (You obviously have to stop to age, unless you're playing Asian/Ottoman civs)
3. Trade Route for Cards. The more cards you have, the more 'bonuses' you'll get from your Home City. If you're beating your enemy in cards, you're probably beating them economically/military wise (militarily? lol )
4. The right cards. You can't boom as well as you'd like if you don't have the correct cards. Don't try fill your entire deck with economic bonuses, though. You need to find the "Goldilocks" deck. The perfect balance of cards. Test out in some games. What cards suit you best? What cards do you think you can make the most out of? What cards do you think are 100% pointless for your strategy?

Remember, looking for guides may sound "totes amazeballs" when you read it, but when you try it out, you find yourself struggling, even making this face Confused In real life. See if you can take ANYTHING out of that guide, and try put it into your own playstyle, and keep testing out different strategies. Even if you think of one whilst having a shower (Original... Rolling Eyes ), try it out when you get the chance. Keep Testing, Testing, Testing.

-Ande59

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Must-read for anyone who has got online ambitions:
https://www.facebook.com/download/1480771518854952/AoE%20III%20Supremacy%20GoodSpeed%20Guide%203.0.pdf

If you can do this stuff with AoE3, you'll have no problems with NE. Smile

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Your link seems to be broken, Tilanus.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject:

It's not, it just links to a Facebook group I'm part of, which surely makes it not load for everyone else. Here's another link:
http://media.wix.com/ugd/420294_3e9972448498474badfce59752abd2c5.pdf

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Alright. I guess that contains everything Brozzo could ever want. Except for NE civs of course.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Uh, that's indeed looking pretty comprehensive Surprised

Edeholland
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject:

Hello! I am glad to hear you started playing NE more and want to play them competitively. Smile

If you ask me, there is not such a thing as turtle/boom/offensive civs. No offense, Ande59. What I think, and what also is explained in the guide from Goodspeed (the one that Tilanus Commodor just linked) is that there are only certain scalings for each civ. These are different times at which the civ is at their strongest or weakest point. A boomy civ, like Brits, is very strong after 10 minutes, when they can have ~50 villagers. Iro is very good early in game, and Russia is somewhat between those two. The main difference here, is that one civ can do both a turtle and a offensive strategy. For example, India can go fast fortress, and age with a fort (turtle). They can also place that fort near the enemy, and be aggresive. For both strategies, there is just a point in time when they are strong, and when their enemy is stronger.

But how does this help you? Well, not much.

In age 1, normally, you just wanna age up with the least amount of villagers, without having a idle town center. That's around 16 villagers most of the times. If you can, add a trade post or market.

When you are aged, just try out how many units you can have out at 8 minutes. I would start with French, they are easy to learn the game with. If you wanna start with an NE civ, try Austria. Sending vills is more for long term, resources for longer term, and units for immediate usage.

I am currently writing a review, almost a guide, about Italians. I can post it when it's finished, if you guys like it. It's gonna have my view on this game and on the new civs. I am not Goodspeed, I am 'just' a captain or major, I am not one of the best in the world, but I do have quite a lot of game knowledge, and have played NE very thoroughly.
Ande59
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
there is not such a thing as turtle/boom/offensive civs. No offense, Ande59.

No no. I agree with this ^^. What I was trying to say is, those civs are better at executing turtle/boom/rush playstyles than other roles. (E.g. Poland is better at Booming rather than all-out-rushing)

After all, I am only a Sergeant in Supremacy. I'm not good at all. Razz I just know the 'basis', if you will, of the civs.

I didn't actually think there was an 80-odd page comprehensive guide out there for AOE3. Nice to know there is one, which I have read.

Brozzo
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Hey guys,

thanks a lot so far, I'm practising like Ande59 recommended me with my portugese guys. Tilanus thanks a lot for the guide, I still got vacation so propably gone read it soon. And what the thing with the boom, turtle and so on is, you could say there are at least tendencies, which people is more suitable for one or another strategy. For example with my portugese guys, its very suitable for a boom, but they are missing, and this is not an error but question of balance, a strong cavalry which could destroy, so you win, if you don't rush, what I tried and what didn't work, they simply kill your Cassadores and other Units, have to bring up a good economy, which permits you to spam fast and a lot of units, to outnumber your enemy, preferibly near their towncenters. My original question was, and I'm trying to perfect that, a good start,to get alive in the III o IV age to consolidate me. With my practises so far it worked out, although I find it, even when I understand how they have to be played harder with Portuguese than with for example French or German. Those are much easier, because they provide you units, which are of quality and can destroy a lot of mass units, which send for example the spanish or russian. It might be that I'm more the fan of quality and few units, but right now I'm improving with my guys from Lissabon. Thanks so much for all the advises, I continue and apart of that thanks a lot for tha fabulous work of the mod, you've done so far. Following this website since 2007, and piece by piece were movin forward !

Salud !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1