What about a new common unit?

Forum Index -> NE Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RodScott
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: What about a new common unit?

Hi, I was reading the new features of the next version and I would like to share my thoughts about a new unit common to all civs that makes nearby military units stronger. It'll be like a musketeer or like a hussar with no attack, carryng a flag of the nation that it represents. It would be like a motivator of your lines, that makes your army stronger. These unit can be created early, but with almost no effect. Once the player reaches new ages, there'll be cards and techs that will make its effect and area of "motivation" greater. There can be at least 3 in every battle, and they can be created either in the TC or in the Barracks (I believe it will be best in the TC, but I'll leave it to you). Think about it, will be fun a new unit, and an unit like these will not go unnoticed. Please, share your thoughts.[/i][/b]
Edeholland
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject:

How exactly would this add to the stategy of the game? It would be nothing more than a upgrade in the form of a unit, that you just keep behind of your army the whole time. There is no reason not to make the unit, so there are no new decisions or strategies around the unit.
RodScott
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Thinking about it, it's not whether if you make it or if you don't, it's about where do you put it. Even if there are two armies made nothing but pikemen, there'll be one a little bit stronger than the other one. Is true, it doesn't affect the strategy, cause all armies will have one and that'll be boring. Instead, if there's only one, that once it's created and die, can not be made again (like minute-men) there will appear two questions: Where and When. If the unit is still alive, can be healed by the monks and go to another front, but if it dies, all continues like it used to. Can be a unit for strategy (like if there are two battles, which one do you consider will win with its help - preventing it from die), but most of all it's a unit to collaborate with the visual part of the game.
Edeholland
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject:

I agree that "where do you put it" could be a legimate question with this unit. (Even though at higher levels, people don't split their army.) But, I think that most times it will be clear where to put it, because there is one army clearly closer to the unit, of larger in number. Also, I think that in general it's a question "where do you put your army", so this unit would not add anything new. Not letting it die is most times just a matter of putting it behind your army, so the enemy can't reach it, just like with cannons.

However, a flag barrier, commander or some kind of lieutenant for your army would look really cool. You do have an explorer, but he is not an warlord like the daimyo's from the Japanese. Maybe an unit with other unique abilities could work though!

I am not trying to be negative, but to be realistic, so please don't feel offended, and keep thinking and submitting ideas!
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject:

This reminds me of a discussion from 2008 Mr. Green

In any case I have been thinking about it. The idea of a flag bearer have always had something enticing to it.

I don't think it would work the way you described it though. I imagine a unit which is automatically slow training after the purchase of a technology with a build limit of one. It could also be a starting unit, a hero like the explorer.

It would have some aura bonus, though perhaps varied between different civilizations to reflect their intended playing style. It would have no attack but pretty high HP and RR.

And, most crucially it would have a VERY high kill xp, something amounting to hundreds of XP. This is to give an incentive to kill the opponents flag bearer, and to keep your own from dying. Losing it both deprives you of the aura and more or less grants your opponent a shipment. On top of that it is not easily replaceable. Given this the bonus effect shouldn't be too insignificant.

I think it in some way manages to capture the notion that it was a great shame to lose the regimental flag and a great achievement to capture the enemy's. Balance wise it's probably not trivial to implement though.

Page 1 of 1