Music proposition: New NE Theme
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Forum Index -> NE Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject:

To make a keyboard play MIDI depends greatly on the keyboard. I have Yamaha Clavinova CVP-601 (it's rather a digital piano than keyboard, but still...) and all I have to do is to copy a MIDI file to a Flash USB memory, plug it into the "USB to Device" slot, copy it to Clavinova's memory to make instrument adjustments and then press "Audio" button to record .wav file to the Flash USB.

About the instrumentation: I'll take a look at the piece's structure and try to find suitable instrumentation. This may involve moving some tracks an octave up or down to fit into the instrument's range, but I'll do my best to keep it as faithful to the original as possible.

The thing with 0:11 is that it will sound artificial using any VST or keyboard, because the MIDI file itself was generated in software which doesn't support advanced piano articulation - these notes are actually too perfect, that's what makes them sound strange. If we had anyone who could play this live and record it for us it would sound WAAAY better. The problem is I may be good at theory, composition and digital music, but my music performance skills are rather poor...

And if things go well I may persuade my uncle who has Vienna Symphonic Library on his MacBook (he's a professional musician, so he's got the stuff which I envy him so much...) to record the piece with it evil

PS I just wanted to express how much I love harpsichords again.
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject:

D-P, but as I worked on the flags and got involved in composition for real this time I decided to give NE2 theme some time. Maybe there will be something out of it, maybe not. We'll see.

I know the piece was composed with MIDI in mind, but for real compositions like this I'd recommend MuseScore, it's absolutely freeware and has a neat feature of marking notes out of instrument's range with red note heads. It also allows you to mix different soundfonts to get better sound.

OK, I have to admit it is painfully composed because of MIDI system allowing you to do what you want, even if it's impossible with real instruments. There are three major flaws (constant unison, duplicate octaves and impossible pizzicato) along with smaller ones. I'm halfway through correcting the mistakes, afterwards I'll try to make the piece more interesting.

EDIT: revision complete, 90% of the original notes are left, a lot of new harmony added (in fact there were no chords in the original), clicking pizzicato with piano are replaced by vigorous string section which helps clarinet and bassoon play the melody. I'll upload an .mp3 tommorow, but I still have no way to get a high-quality sampled version... At least we have the arrangement.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject:

Pawelec_POLAND wrote:
I know the piece was composed with MIDI in mind, but for real compositions like this I'd recommend MuseScore, it's absolutely freeware and has a neat feature of marking notes out of instrument's range with red note heads. It also allows you to mix different soundfonts to get better sound.

What do you mean with a "real composition"? The theme does not need to be played with a real instrument, if it is that. But I used real figures of classical composition and tried to achieve that sound, so it's not less of a composition just because the partiture wasn't written for live performances. Wink

Quote:
OK, I have to admit it is painfully composed because of MIDI system allowing you to do what you want, even if it's impossible with real instruments. There are three major flaws (constant unison, duplicate octaves and impossible pizzicato) along with smaller ones. I'm halfway through correcting the mistakes, afterwards I'll try to make the piece more interesting.

Are you talking about the NE Theme? (Well, what else?) Once again, these are not flaws or mistakes, but workarounds. If you write the notes with live play in mind, the computer-generated music will sound even worse. It is naive to assume the opposite. The NE theme is computer music made with a MIDI system and not meant to be an arrangement for live play. Different goals require different approaches.

As a piano player I perfectly know myself about the things that won't work in real, but allow me to produce a specific sound on a computer that I want to achieve. And that is what matters. It's the sound that needs to get as close as possible to the sound playing in your mind and not the score that is optimized for live play, but not for the sound equipment I have. Also the tune that you hear can be played for real, but of course not with the scores of my MIDI composition. You can deduce an arrangement for live play from that MIDI composition though. There is no right and wrong here, I really beg you to differ.

Quote:
EDIT: revision complete, 90% of the original notes are left, a lot of new harmony added (in fact there were no chords in the original), clicking pizzicato with piano are replaced by vigorous string section which helps clarinet and bassoon play the melody. I'll upload an .mp3 tommorow, but I still have no way to get a high-quality sampled version... At least we have the arrangement.

I yet don't know what exactly is your plan, but I guess I'll just wait for the MP3. Mr. Green
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Would you mind a bit longer delay? I've got all the software needed to play the piece with one of the best live recorded sample sets in the world (again, thanks to my uncle who owns it), but I need time to set it all up.

I understand all the things regarding MIDI-oriented composing, as artificial sounds need to be treated differently. The thing is I'm afraid that the theme won't sound good with the artificial sounds, so I needed to adapt it for more acoustic performance. I didn't think it would be so hard. As of now I rearranged the instruments, added missing notes to the chord patterns and removed the parts I found odd and composed only because of the MIDI sounding like the piano riffs (which are replaced by string ensemble textures). I still have to work on the transitions between parts and the opening.

On the other hand I may try to compose a whole new piece with different ensemble but in similar, vigorous march-like mood. I'd like brass instruments to play the main AoE theme, but in its current state it doesn't fit the range of any brass instrument while woodwinds have no problem with it.

Tell me what would you prefer (new piece or rearrangement) so I'll be able to get down to things after I install the VST and samples.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

No, I don't mind.

I'd actually prefer a reconstructed arrangement of the sound of the current NE theme first to then make adjustments from that onwards. I'm not against new interpretations per se, but I'd first like to hear how the current NE theme sounds like remastered.

I have also sent you a PM with some new theme ideas, to which you might answer here too. There are a possibility of options and I'm a fan of prototyping in many regards, so I'd just say that we can both work on different proto-compositions to figure which ones work best. For example, I can not quite imagine that the NE theme would sound better with brass or woodwinds, possibly because they are not my favorite instruments, but I'm always up for new ideas. Smile

As for my MIDI-related adjustments and those for your uncle's tool, this is naturally caused by the different capabilities of the tools used. To achieve the "imaginary sound" (I like that wording) of the current NE theme, you'll surely have to add some program-native effects and alter some timbres and motives to get close to it again. I'm fine with that as long as you don't change the essence of the tunes, accents and tempi too much. Smile
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject:

I have two ideas of how the theme can be constructed with proper orchestral samples available. Of course the themes should start with the AoE motif.

Idea 1: Mozart's Requiem ensemble: string section, basset horns, bassoons, trumpet, trombones, timpani and choir.

A choral fugue on AoE subject accompanied by strings, with short slower moment for woodwinds. Something like Quam olim Abrahae fugue from Mozart's Requiem. Less likely to happen because I'd need choral samples, but they would give it extra power.

Idea 2: Romantic era orchestral setting with full orchestra, movie/game style.

The AoE motif is played by brass instruments, with flute runs and passages accompanying it, then various brass and woodwind instruments take the leading melody accompanied by string ensemble all the time. Anno 1701 theme is somehow relevant to this, but I'd like it to be much more lively and march-like.

EDIT: OK, things are set. As the best samples take ages to set up properly because of how many articulations they offer I have to say I have very decent samples but no choirs at my disposal. Therefore I started working on the second piece.
Aprosdoketon
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject:

OUR BELOVED MAIN THEME: A REWORKING

Having installed NE yesterday after a lot of years of vanilla/TWC/TAD (and having tried other mods), I found a beatifully crafted mod in every aspect with serious and non-nonsensical approaches to new elements of gameplay.

The only thing that seemed to me an evident "replacement" for further improvement was the first I stumbled upon: the MIDI Title Theme Mr. Green .
IMHO, the in-game music is perfect as it is; Stephen Rippy has done a wonderful work and very well suited to the game pace: it would be too much for a non-commercial mod to write such "cinematic" gigantic work.
On the other side, it would be fun to create a new title theme (as it has been done in every AOE since AOK!). In which style? I agree with Pawelec that a Sturm Und Drang style is the most fitting for an energetic intro (the feature of Mannheim rocket, among others, is a good one for achieving urgency). A renaissance-ish reworking does not have, in my opinion, the catchiness for a good title track (for example, a beautiful Dowland-Style Pavane), and I see it more attuned to an AOE2-Stronghold era.
So I have chosen to write an arrangement of the theme in proto-classic style!
The starting point was the scoring of Haydn's middle symphonies, with little harmonic and instrumental twists to follow better the not-so-classical harmony of the theme (theme who begins at 0.12, after a short introduction) and to create a more "soundtrack" feel. The form remains A-B-A like the original.
I attach here a file of a part of the piece (the recapitulation is incomplete), as I've begun to work on it only this afternoon: every type of feedback is much appreciated Mr. Green

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/f6df63yrr10mx3e/TitleThemeHaydnian-vers1.mp3
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject:

My jaw is hitting the ground at the moment and doesn't want to go back in its place. That's a proper composition in Mannheim style which would take me weeks to complete. Any tricks how to get such effect quickly (if you don't want to share your secrets with the whole world please use the PM)?

Also, what samples do you use? They sound very well and I cannot find good ones for my works.

If AoE theme was clearly marked I'd say it's a no-brainer to include this in the mod, but it's not that clear here, in fact I cannot hear it.
Aprosdoketon
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Pawelec_POLAND wrote:
Also, what samples do you use? They sound very well and I cannot find good ones for my works.

I did it all in Notion 4, notation and samples. It's not wonderfully precise in typesetting like Sibelius, but it's very user-friendly and the samples are very good and natural to use, responding very well to the articulation (with a little of simple tweaking). Moreover, it's a lot cheaper Mr. Green
The theme begins at 0.12 in Violins and Flutes: I changed the rhytm to dotted to make more XVIII Century-like, you're right regarding the not so great similarity. I'll search for a workaround; maybe played by trumpets it'll be more recognizable...

Sospira.
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Please don't change the instrumentation. What I love about classical period music is the limited use of brass, which is overused in Romantic compositions. Woodwinds are much better under one condition: they have to be used in ensembles, solo woodwinds (like Romantic composers used them) are easily overcame by brass and even strings. My personal favourite is the dark setting of 2 clarinets in Bb and 2 bassoons in crossed voicing (going down: clarinet, bassoon, clarinet, bassoon; modified version, replacing the clarinets in Bb with basset horns in F, was used by Mozart in the Requiem mass). I use flutes rarely as I don't find them fitting all the remaining woodwinds because they are reed instruments and flutes are not.

I'll try to write something utilising the AoE theme. Could you send me at least a MIDI version of your score via PM for analysis? Unfortunately I don't have Notion... yet.

EDIT: Notion 5 with all the sounds somehow got onto my laptop... Mr. Green
Da Bozz
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Aprosdoketon, I am really not an expert when it comes to the theoretical aspects of classical music, but what you did here sounds absolutely amazing.

By the way, this soundfont looks and sounds promising: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1200140
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Aprosdoketon wrote:
OUR BELOVED MAIN THEME: A REWORKING

Beloved, I take that as a compliment. Mr. Green

Quote:
Having installed NE yesterday after a lot of years of vanilla/TWC/TAD (and having tried other mods), I found a beatifully crafted mod in every aspect with serious and non-nonsensical approaches to new elements of gameplay.

Another compliment I'd mainly like to forward to the previous makers, since I'm more of a polishing dude (not to be confused with the polishness like Pawelec Topmodel ).

Quote:
The only thing that seemed to me an evident "replacement" for further improvement was the first I stumbled upon: the MIDI Title Theme Mr. Green .

First question: Is it just the MIDI sound that annoys you (which bugs me too) or is it the compositional idea itself?

Quote:
IMHO, the in-game music is perfect as it is; Stephen Rippy has done a wonderful work and very well suited to the game pace: it would be too much for a non-commercial mod to write such "cinematic" gigantic work.
On the other side, it would be fun to create a new title theme (as it has been done in every AOE since AOK!). In which style? I agree with Pawelec that a Sturm Und Drang style is the most fitting for an energetic intro (the feature of Mannheim rocket, among others, is a good one for achieving urgency). A renaissance-ish reworking does not have, in my opinion, the catchiness for a good title track (for example, a beautiful Dowland-Style Pavane), and I see it more attuned to an AOE2-Stronghold era.
So I have chosen to write an arrangement of the theme in proto-classic style!

Proto-classic is fine, even though I'm also in favor of baroque instruments with harpsichord accompainment rather than the ornamental instrumentation with woodwinds that Pawelecs seems to prefer. Woodwinds mostly are too modern for my taste, except if used in the style of Telemann in accordance with strings (which also might be too slow though for a catchy game theme).

As the project leader I prefer a more 'tuney' march-like theme as in that motive of mine. The sound quality is not any close to yours, but I think you'll get the idea and with your skills and sound capabilities you might be able to make something out of it. (I hope so!) Mr. Green To add some spice (and fun) to it, I imagined (and quickly sketched) to implement the greatness and catchiness of the Turkish national anthem.

On the other site, I'd also be very curious to hear what the current NE theme would actually sound like with your sound capabilities. Since you seem to be pretty fast in composition, I dare to ask: Could you try that please? Smile

Quote:
The starting point was the scoring of Haydn's middle symphonies, with little harmonic and instrumental twists to follow better the not-so-classical harmony of the theme (theme who begins at 0.12, after a short introduction) and to create a more "soundtrack" feel. The form remains A-B-A like the original.
I attach here a file of a part of the piece (the recapitulation is incomplete), as I've begun to work on it only this afternoon: every type of feedback is much appreciated Mr. Green

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/f6df63yrr10mx3e/TitleThemeHaydnian-vers1.mp3

I'd like to stress: This is great. I adore the technical perfection in the polyphony of your piece. However, it's not the style and mood of composition that I have imagined for a new NE theme (which I have indeed planned over a longer time). I do hear the AoE part very clearly and it's funny, but if Pawelec as another skilled composer can not hear it well, I can imagine that every non-composer may not notice it at all (which is not good). So it needs to be catchier and more "in yo face". After all, this about composing a sound and tune for a brand and not a competition for the greatest technical compositional quality. Wink

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Tilanus, you seem to overestimate my skills in the above post...

Well, the instrumentation depends on what effect you want. The elaborate use of brass (which is so adored by contemporary soundtrack composers) was quite rare before Romantic period, which is too late for the mod. Also, the brass section going tutti kills all the remaining instruments with ease. That's why brass bands evolved - to allow composing mainly for brass.

The Baroque is completely different and much harder to compose. The instrumentation is very limited. You get brass without vents hence much less useful, no clarinets in the woodwind section (so no tenor register woodwinds are available), no piano (same as clarinets, piano was yet to be invented), harp used extremely rarely and you need to compose continuo, most probably for harpsichord, cellos and double basses. For digital composition Baroque is also hard because of the specific period instruments: recorder and viol families, of which only the recorders are sampled by the biggest sample providers like Vienna. Not to mention all the counterpoint rules to be followed strictly and preferred use of imitation techniques... This would yield a very specific result which few people would be able to admire.

Mature Classicism may be lacking the necessary flow for most listeners. This is mostly true, as the most expressive works of the Classicism were borrowing from earlier periods: Mozart's Requiem for example adheres to the rules of counterpoint, uses imitation (in its fullest: Kyrie is a double fugue) and continuo like a proper Baroque piece. The 'finale' from Don Giovanni (A cenar teco) is constructed in a way specific for Sturm und Drang period. Concertos of most composers require the virtuosity typical for Baroque soloists. This means a typical Classical piece wouldn't find it's place in the soundtrack.

Here's an example of what effect we would achieve with mature Classical: I took the beginning of Mozart's Piano Concerto in D minor, tweaked the harmony and added bassoons and oboes from the later section, with one of the oboes playing AoE theme with variations and the second one counterpointing it in retardation while still playing variations. Mind you, it's only 9 measures, don't expect miracles: AoE Theme a'la Piano Concerto in D minor

Tilanus mentioned a very interesting yet not well-known period: proto-Classical. Listen to the works of Johann Stamitz, Franz Caver Richter and Franz Ignaz Beck for reference (I prefer Stamitz myself). It is somewhat lighter than Baroque and more expressive than Classical. This could be very experimental hence interesting to write, but I wouldn't expect it to be easy to compose, as many Baroque rules still apply while there's a new form of expression. If we had a decent piece it could sound nice...

...but for me the most accurate choice would be Sturm und Drang with its expressive string arrangement. I cannot agree with Tilanus that the style proposed by Aprosdoketon doesn't fit, for me it's exactly what it needs to be. We've had a bit of PM exchange about his magnificent piece and while he did use some Romantic period tricks (blending very well, only a trained ear can spot them) to make the piece more soundtrack-suited the only problem I see, or rather hear, is the lack of AoE theme. It is repeated 3 times, but it's altered a bit and in fact blends so well with the arrangement that it's easily omitted.

The problem is AoE theme is not even a bit Classical, I spent much time trying to figure out how to arrange it into something prior to pre-Romanticism. It hardly possible, the intervals are hard to harmonize without getting too modern with chord progressions (pesky ninth chords await). I came to the point where I arranged a piano concerto opening with the theme yet it still didn't sound very Classical, but it was the best I could do with keeping the theme recognisable.

All in all, I think we should keep the direction Aprosdoketon set in his piece.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Pawelec_POLAND wrote:
Tilanus, you seem to overestimate my skills in the above post...

You've got a good understanding of music composition and knowledge about "classic" music. So that qualifies you in my eyes. Doesn't matter if you, I or anybody else likes your compositions. Wink

Quote:
Well, the instrumentation depends on what effect you want. The elaborate use of brass (which is so adored by contemporary soundtrack composers) was quite rare before Romantic period, which is too late for the mod. Also, the brass section going tutti kills all the remaining instruments with ease. That's why brass bands evolved - to allow composing mainly for brass.

Agreed. Smile

Quote:
The Baroque is completely different and much harder to compose. The instrumentation is very limited. You get brass without vents hence much less useful, no clarinets in the woodwind section (so no tenor register woodwinds are available), no piano (same as clarinets, piano was yet to be invented), harp used extremely rarely and you need to compose continuo, most probably for harpsichord, cellos and double basses. For digital composition Baroque is also hard because of the specific period instruments: recorder and viol families, of which only the recorders are sampled by the biggest sample providers like Vienna. Not to mention all the counterpoint rules to be followed strictly and preferred use of imitation techniques... This would yield a very specific result which few people would be able to admire.

I prefer the transition phase from Baroque to Classic, both in regards of composition and instrumentation. Your mindset seems to be very rigid about which instruments are permitted for what sorts of composition. I beg you to take this a lot easier than now. It's a creative process and even though there's a certain style and historical example of genre/music period that has to be found, there is no force and use in making this process harder by forcing the historical rigid rules of composition upon it. Free your mind! Wink

Quote:
Mature Classicism may be lacking the necessary flow for most listeners. This is mostly true, as the most expressive works of the Classicism were borrowing from earlier periods: Mozart's Requiem for example adheres to the rules of counterpoint, uses imitation (in its fullest: Kyrie is a double fugue) and continuo like a proper Baroque piece. The 'finale' from Don Giovanni (A cenar teco) is constructed in a way specific for Sturm und Drang period. Concertos of most composers require the virtuosity typical for Baroque soloists. This means a typical Classical piece wouldn't find it's place in the soundtrack.

Once again, your approach is very theoretical and you seem to get lost in it (something very iconic for you Mr. Green ). I prefer a more practical and personal approach. I'm open for inspirations from other compositions, but this mod is a project in which I, Peter, invest a lot of personal ideas and passion and accordingly I want the title theme to reflect this too. It doesn't necessarily mean I have to compose it myself (obviously Aprosdoketon has much more skill in this), but as the project leader and creative director of this mod I think I have a saying in this that weights much more than some rulesets of compositions that were written centuries ago. Wink

Quote:
Here's an example of what effect we would achieve with mature Classical: I took the beginning of Mozart's Piano Concerto in D minor, tweaked the harmony and added bassoons and oboes from the later section, with one of the oboes playing AoE theme with variations and the second one counterpointing it in retardation while still playing variations. Mind you, it's only 9 measures, don't expect miracles: AoE Theme a'la Piano Concerto in D minor

Why D minor? The AoE theme doesn't sound well in it, but it has to. Why is this piece of Mozart more important for the making of the mod's theme than the personal ideas of those who make the mod? It's nothing against your composition and your efforts, but I strongly disagree with your approach.

Quote:
Tilanus mentioned a very interesting yet not well-known period: proto-Classical.

It was Aprosdoketon, not me. Wink

Quote:
We've had a bit of PM exchange about his magnificent piece and while he did use some Romantic period tricks (blending very well, only a trained ear can spot them) to make the piece more soundtrack-suited the only problem I see, or rather hear, is the lack of AoE theme. It is repeated 3 times, but it's altered a bit and in fact blends so well with the arrangement that it's easily omitted.

The problem is AoE theme is not even a bit Classical, I spent much time trying to figure out how to arrange it into something prior to pre-Romanticism. It hardly possible, the intervals are hard to harmonize without getting too modern with chord progressions (pesky ninth chords await). I came to the point where I arranged a piano concerto opening with the theme yet it still didn't sound very Classical, but it was the best I could do with keeping the theme recognisable.

It's not impossible and I'm not afraid of breaking rules of classical composition to achieve the sound and tune I'm looking for. Creativity doesn't work well with rules, you know. There are aesthetic rules in music of course, but that doesn't mean you are not allowed to mix or would have to limit yourself artificially to some specific period of music and its compositional ruleset.

Quote:
I cannot agree with Tilanus that the style proposed by Aprosdoketon doesn't fit, for me it's exactly what it needs to be. [...] All in all, I think we should keep the direction Aprosdoketon set in his piece.

That is your opinion, but not mine. I really don't like to do this, but it seems I have to remind you that you can of course make as much suggestions as you like and express your opinion any time, but that it's me who makes the final decision as the project leader and creative director of the Napoleonic Era mod. Okay? Wink

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Tilanus: the AoE Theme a'la Piano Concerto in D minor was to show why we don't want purely Classical piece. I don't like it much myself, but it is an excerpt of proper Classical symphonic piece. Like I wrote a paragraph above (in which I didn't get lost despite what you wrote Topmodel) all the expressive pieces of Classical period are actually using important elements from other periods, that is Baroque or Sturm und Drang. Therefore going for Classical per se is almost impossible.

Well, you may think I'm strict with the instrumentation, but this is not because I think other instruments are not permitted and people using instruments from later periods in period piece should burn in hell. It's the other way round - for certain effect specific instrumentation is needed, non-period instruments rarely blend well with strongly stylised composition. Trust me, I've tried to do that Wink The more I compose the stronger is my opinion that pieces composed with live performance in mind sound good no matter they are live recordings or sampled renderings. If you don't respect the rules of real-life instrumentation you'll end up with a piece which sounds synthetic.

For proto-Classical the palette of instruments is huge, you can use the whole Baroque and Classical palette (recorders and viols have fallen out of use by then, but their sound is fine for proto-Classical).

I perfectly understand the fact you want to decide about the music. You have the vision of the mod, I have the same with projects of my own. The I understand your ideas but it's already set, I'm afraid... approach. So you say proto-Classical, yeah? I'll have to take a look at Stamitz's scores, I've never analysed them.

Slightly off-topic: why D minor? Because I find the AoE theme sound best in F major and D minor is the corresponding minor key for F major. Also because Mozart's Piano Concerto in D minor has a very nice introduction.
Aprosdoketon
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Oh, so much "ink" has been used since I last viewed this topic! Mr. Green
Quote:
First question: Is it just the MIDI sound that annoys you (which bugs me too) or is it the compositional idea itself?

The MIDI, especially the piano: great part of the "Turkish" flavour is lost without its typical aggressive articulation and instrumentation. The NE theme is OK (perhaps I would have used in a couple of spots a different harmony in order to avoid a chain of I-V-I-V..., but it's not a major flaw, and we all know how is difficult to harmonize an AOE-like theme...)
Quote:
Could you try that please?

Yes, I'll try to implement it in a merry militar manner Devil
On a side note, I think it's worth noting that a great composer like Jean Sibelius wrote an incredibly fun march for the Finnish Jaeger battalion!

Sospira.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3