Music proposition: New NE Theme
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Forum Index -> NE Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject:

Sibelius' compositions are too late. They are thoroughly Romantic.

Generally it's hard to harmonize AoE theme differently than I-something-I-something, be it I-V-I-V, I-III-I-III or I-VI-I-VI.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject:

Aprosdoketon wrote:

Quote:
First question: Is it just the MIDI sound that annoys you (which bugs me too) or is it the compositional idea itself?

The MIDI, especially the piano: great part of the "Turkish" flavour is lost without its typical aggressive articulation and instrumentation. The NE theme is OK (perhaps I would have used in a couple of spots a different harmony in order to avoid a chain of I-V-I-V..., but it's not a major flaw, and we all know how is difficult to harmonize an AOE-like theme...)

Glad to read my theme is not as crap after seeing how many theoretical constraints you and Pawelec deployed in your approach to composition. ^^

Quote:
Quote:
Could you try that please?

Yes, I'll try to implement it in a merry militar manner Devil

Any news on that? Smile

Pawelec_POLAND wrote:
Well, you may think I'm strict with the instrumentation, but this is not because I think other instruments are not permitted and people using instruments from later periods in period piece should burn in hell. It's the other way round - for certain effect specific instrumentation is needed, non-period instruments rarely blend well with strongly stylised composition. Trust me, I've tried to do that Wink The more I compose the stronger is my opinion that pieces composed with live performance in mind sound good no matter they are live recordings or sampled renderings. If you don't respect the rules of real-life instrumentation you'll end up with a piece which sounds synthetic.

I'm not as strict to artificially limit and prohibit the use of unorthodox stylistic devices, certain instrumentation or anachronistic genre influences, simply because I see no use in it. After all the goal is not to compose after the composition rules of Mozart or someone else's rigid rules in order to imitate a very specific style. The goal is to compose a title theme for a mod that expresses what the makers - living in the 21th century - want it to express. Razz

You argue with the achievement of "certain effect". But from where do you take the certainity that I want the same effect as you and not another one (that does not require instrumentation to be as specific)?

I also disagree with the universal rule that with live performance in mind the music gets good/better. There are dozens of good live performances of compositions in any genre whose greatness can not be refound in a studio album of the same compositions. That is, because - just like any other creative product - music has to adjust to many design constraints such as target platform and audience, technical capabilities, etc. It may be nice to have a composition that's universal enough to be great on stage, but it's clearly not required for a piece that 99% of all the audience will most certainly never hear live played on real instruments. Just like it'd be stupid to require complex electronic music composed by one person to suit for performances on stage. ^^
Quote:
For proto-Classical the palette of instruments is huge, you can use the whole Baroque and Classical palette (recorders and viols have fallen out of use by then, but their sound is fine for proto-Classical).

You know, the point is that I don't need a permission from history to propose a certain direction in composition or an instrumentation that is not d'accord with the constraints of a specific past musical era. Whether the instrumentation is proto-classical or not doesn't matter. I don't build fences around instruments, since this is not how title themes or jingles are being composed.

Quote:
I perfectly understand the fact you want to decide about the music. You have the vision of the mod, I have the same with projects of my own. The I understand your ideas but it's already set, I'm afraid... approach.

No, actually it's more like "Hey, I am the vision keeper of this project and you're just about to get on the wrong track. Stop it!" - Especially in creative industries companies, film crews, studios take advantage of vision keepers to ensure the product feels as a total artwork, a synthesis of the manifold arts involved. So yes, I have the vision of how the mod should be and that includes the music. So when I say D minor doesn't fit, then rather because it doesn't fit and less because it is the corresponding minor key for F major or because you think that Mozart's Piano Concerto in D minor has a very nice introduction. ^^ Wink
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject:

bump

I'll just have to sidestep everything to add yet another pair of clapping hands to Aprosdoketon's accomplishment on the prior page. Cool

CasualBeta
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject:

SAOL wrote:
bump

I'll just have to sidestep everything to add yet another pair of clapping hands to Aprosdoketon's accomplishment on the prior page. Cool

Make that 2 pairs, well done!
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

While I stopped playing AoE3 looooong ago I'm still curious about the new title theme. Tilanus, you've mentioned you already have something up your sleeve.

In case you don't I'll just drop a suggestion. Its name is Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3