Some ideas for new fortifications...

Forum Index -> NE Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stubbo
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Some ideas for new fortifications...

As has been said int he past the Napoleonic Era was at a time when walled cities were losing favour on account of modern firepower rendering them often un-defendable (plus urban sprawl made cities too big to defend in that way).

However, there were a few other defensive fortifications that I think could add to gameplay and stay true to the history of the time.

1. Improved towers in age V/new type of tower - Martello Towers

An upgrade to "Martello Towers" enabling more of them, a change to a concrete construction with improved resistance to artillery, and the option to 'upgrade/change tactic' by exchanging the use of a single cannon firing to the use of the troops garrisoned within them providing the firepower (loss of range, but rate of fire and type of fire increased)...e.g. better against infantry/cavalry that is near by.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martello_tower

2. Defensive Canals

There is plenty of history to show that canals have been used defensively. The best example in this era being the construction of the Royal Military Canal in GB. Also in other places a little earlier like SingelGracht in Amsterdam.

These could be added in ages 4 and 5 of the game, could be much slower to build than walls, but could be utilised to create manmade chokepoints where none exist.

Feature would be for them to be un-passable by artillery, and to drastically slow down the rate of traversal by infantry and cavalry (like a x0.2 or x0.1 on speed). Should be able to build bridges/passes (like a gate in a wall and those bridges to be buildable by both either side), but for them to be largely indestructible. And obviously they should be quite expensive to build compared to walls.

But what they would add would be creating choke-points, to help offer a true turtle option, provide a way of resisting laming of artillery. Would add a lot to the experience for those base-builders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Military_Canal
stubbo
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:

3. Polygonal Forts

An Age 5 upgrade/buildable fort in response to the use of Mortars/Exploding Shells.

Low-Profile Gun Emplacements, with ditches in front, and a greater resistance to explosive bombardment which were the response to the use of.

Should be possible to Garrison Falconets/Culverins to provide the firepower. The ditches could be buildable (like Canals) as suggested above to enable suitable placement around the Fort/Forts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_fort
Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject:

I doubt these can be realised easily. With ressources scattered around the map hiding in a fortified base is not the best idea if you want to win anyway.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject:

I agree. Towers and walls are pretty good as they are. No need for more exhaustive defensive works.

On the other hand I do think there could be yet another imperial age fort upgrade. I don't build them too often myself, but I feel that they sometimes are too easy to take down in imperial age.

Page 1 of 1