A Humble introduction / We want your thoughts!
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
earkalspea
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: A Humble introduction / We want your thoughts!

Hello, Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, conquerors of all eras and ages, allow me to formally introduce myself. My name is James (Earkalspea), Éclaireur de la Garde Impériale, and I will help run the humble Napoleonic Era Facebook Page, Google + page, and the main forums, standing ready to answer your questions. Whether it be inquiries into mod progress, question on design and strategy, suggestions or comments or where to find your lost dog, I am humbly at your service! I might also be composing database entries for your benefit, so that you may better understand your enemy. Let me be your guide into the saber and smoke filled world of Age of Empires III: The Napoleonic Era. Vive l' Empereur!

In other news, we want to know what you want updated/added in the Napoleonic Era!

Which ones do you guys want more of?
❏ Civilizations
❏ Maps & Natives
❏ Multiplayer Balance
❏ UI features
❏ Designs for units & buildings
❏ Sounds/music
❏ More game features
❏ History feature
❏ Mod documentation

Make your vote count here! http://strawpoll.me/3686648
galesto
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject:

More civs!
Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Welcome! I guess a lot of work expects you Smile

I hope civilizations means fleshing out or modernizing existing ones and redistributing charactaristics, instead of introducing new ones. That's the least thing this mod needs. I prefer quality over quantity and while I can see new revolution civs I fear the addition of more full-scale civs would lead to a wotta-ization of NE which I hope nobody really wants.

Next to civilizations I also voted for maps and natives which is always nice but most anticipated by me is what my third vote went to and that is multiplayer balancing which is in my opinion the key for a widespread usage of NE.
gandalfDK
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject:

I second Silmariel's thoughts about civs entirely!

Also, more Maps and especially Natives would be awesome!
New maps keep the game alive and fresh for even the oldest players, so that seems always a good thing.

Natives are just my favorite in this game and I want to see every tiny bit of history explored so squeesh out all the juice you can to create more awesome, cool native units and techs!

I also would love to give players an option to change the intro music. I myself can hum the intro of the original game even when I'm asleep and would really love to hear that with NE 2 too.
I will be victorious!
EduardoXV
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject:

It would be nice if you make the original european civs "cooler" cause for me they seem somewhat boring, specially portugal & spain, I guess that is because NE-civs are awesome and well made lol
EduardoXV
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject:

I forgot the swedish boni revamp, mentioned by Tilanus
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject:

Thanks a lot for your reasonable feedback, guys. I appreciate it. Smile

Also I can appease the ones who fear a 'wotta-ization' (nice word Mr. Green) of NE. This is not gonna happen. I also share your observations about the importance and benefits of multiplayer balance and focussing on the inward. We'll have to be cautious not to go too far with the modernization of the original civs though, since that is rather a NE3 thing and might not be appreciated as much by the ones who enjoyed NE as an expansion mod so far that did take care to preserve the essence of the original civs. However, we can and will try to modernize the surface wherever possible and worthy.

As I wrote on Facebook already most of these listed poll options are things we're going to do for NE 2.2 anyway. So everybody will find new developments and designs he'll personally enjoy. That means improvements will take place on a broader line instead of only one or two particular aspects of the mod.

Silmariel wrote:
I guess a lot of work expects you Smile

He'll curse the day! lol Nah, I hope not, but guess I'll be able to make his keyboard glow. Mr. Green Wink

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject:

I suppose a "hello" is in order.

gandalfDK wrote:
I second Silmariel's thoughts about civs entirely!
Me three. Though I never really feared it.

Tilanus wrote:
That means improvements will take place on a broader line instead of only one or two particular aspects of the mod.
You've seemed full of ambition and energy as of lately. It's nice to see Smile

Ande59
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject:

New civs would be great, but I am slightly concerned of civs ending up being a minor copy of another one (e.g. an Australian civ being created and literally being a sharpened-down-British civ) (which I hope won't happen)

New designs would also be sweet, but I'm favouring Maps out of all the choices Razz

"German Uhlan spam is lame" -StrelletToIndustrial
Edeholland
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Multiplayer Balance is of course, clearly by far the most important thing to improve by now. It's obvious that everybody should work hard on rebalancing (implying that there is balance already) this game, so that the game experience will improve by at least 200%. Cool
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Nice idea to let the users vote!

Just a bit off-topic: has anyone considered making a campaign for the mod with the final release of NE2?
DZ-IronMan
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject:

Bonjour Empereur !

In the first , thank you for working on this mod.
This is one of the best mods I could try. Now i play just with NE. The work done is huge ! Amazing !
The work done for the new civilizations is very well done. Prussia became my favorite civilization. thank you very much !

What I would like to improve the experience of the games :

=> New African Civilizations (Algerian, Egyptian)

Algeria, was an independent state within the Ottoman Empire (named the Kingdom of Algiers or Regency of Algiers ) .
The Algeria was a very important power of Mediterrean sea.

Algeria was opposed to several major European nations (defeat of Charles V of spanish Eùpire, defeat of France during many Bombardment of algiers, Defeat of Spain during "invasion of algiers") and dominated the south Mediterrean sea (a tax was paid by European nations and the United States to navigate at sea) .
Algerians Janissaries cut the head of the king of Morocco because it did not pay the required taxes.

Most of the units are similar to those of the Ottoman Empire (Janissaries, Mameluks, etc) or exist in the games/Mod (Mediterranean mercenary, Tuareg , etc )

Algeria is playable in strategy games "Cossacks European War"

Egypt were as a state within the Ottoman Empire. Napoleon invaded egypt in the early Napoleonic wars.
Egypt is playable too in Cossacks 1 & 2.

=> Add an additional age for Amerindian civilizations : "age of colonization"
Have the choice to become "modern" civilizations and continue games :

Aztecs > Mexico
Iroquois > Canada, USA
Sioux > Canada, USA
Inca > Péru, chile, Argentina
Arawaks > Haiti, Brasil, Venezuela

=> Delete the age of revolution for European civs.
Or limit the age of the revolution that some civilizations in American map ( portugal > Brazil , France> Haiti , Spain > Mexico , etc.)
and improve opportunities

=> Put the true colors of the "Cockade flag" in cities.

=> Maybee a new Civs ? Mexico ? Canada ? Korea ?
Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject:

What you are looking for is this. Egyptians are already included as minor civs, while the Barbary Corsairs somewhat resemble this regency of Algier of yours. If you have any ideas on expending Tuareg and Egyptian natives to the level of most new natives (such as Finns, Bavarians and the aforementioned Barbary Pirates), I'm sure the team would appreciate it.

I agree with your opinion about revolution options though. But there are already plans to rework them for the next edition.
Ande59
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject:

Problem with more civs: (not that I'm against them)

Designs... because can't the game/your computer only load a certain amount of model designs? (read about that somewhere)

Uniqueness: As I mentioned earlier, a concerning issue of
Quote:
civs ending up being a minor copy of another one
which makes the game boring if you have multiple copies of one civ.

...and if we do end up adding more civs, we may have the same civs as another mod like WotTA, or TFE, so NE won't be so unique. Neutral

After all, what do people want? Uniqueness! ... right?

"German Uhlan spam is lame" -StrelletToIndustrial
Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject:

Ande59 wrote:

Designs... because can't the game/your computer only load a certain amount of model designs?

That has been fixed already, if I'm not completly wrong. Was a major milestone otherwise it would make little sence to include new graphics.

Not only is it about uniqueness-wotta's/wol's civs are all very unique. But the mod lacks focus. Also they overdid it with features which eventually lead to a ruined gameplay. What's the point of including militarily completly unimportant civs in a strategy game evolving around conquering? NE has a strong focus on the most important theatre of it's timeline and that is of course Europe (and Asia to a lesser degree, depending also on to what you count Ottomans and Russians) and there is only this number of important civs in these times in that area.

Btw: my vote for the next major Civs is San Marino. You cannot have a European-themed mod without San Marino!
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject:

If the mod is to remain Europe-focused there should be no more major civs, some of them (I mean the Swiss) are already taken out of nowhere compared to the real European empires like France, England, Austria and Spain.

Italy is a bit historically inaccurate, as there was no united Italy before the Napoleonic period, but it's more acceptable as it's hard to implement small but noticeable countries - Papal States, Milan, Venice, Florence, Naples, Genoa and all the smaller ones wouldn't make much sense as major civs neither as natives, a compromise is needed here and mixing them up as a single major civ seems to be fine.

However, I think the mod lacks some important European nations and they should be represented by natives. The most significant ones I think should be present are Czech and Hungarians. If the mod was meant to cover the whole world, then adding two or three African tribes as natives would make it universal.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2