Unit range modifiers for various formations/stances.

Forum Index -> Mods & Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AUS_Doug
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:16 am    Post subject: Unit range modifiers for various formations/stances.

Hi all.

(A TL;DR: Want Volley/Defence/Staggered ranged attacks to have the same range.)

So, I'm jumping back into the game after the best part of 2 years away and one of the first things that strikes me is the difference between the range of a unit in 'Volley' mode, vs. one in 'Defence' or 'Staggered'.

I remember that I went and 'corrected' this all at one point years ago, and wanted to do the same now.

But I can't remember how.

(Using the neMarine as an example.)

I remember it being that, in the proto files, each of the unit's ranged attacks - DefendRangedAttack, VolleyRangedAttack etc. - all had different 'MaxRange' values.

But apparently I was wrong; In the proton.xml, all of the Marine's ranged attacks have the same range, despite this not being the case in game.
(At least in the late game when I bothered to check, wondering why the army I had defending a pass wasn't returning fire!)

So, all I can think of is, either in-game upgrades affect the range of the Volley attack but not the others, or there is a modifier at work somewhere?

If someone could tell me what I've missed, it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Doug.

P.S Congrats on 2.1.7b team; This mod has certainly come a long way since I first heard about it. No major issues so far, and everything looks gorgeous, even on my antique of a computer.

Jaina Solo, Sword of the Jedi, had just arrived.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Unit range modifiers for various formations/stances.

AUS_Doug wrote:
Hi all.

Hey Doug Smile

Quote:
I remember it being that, in the proto files, each of the unit's ranged attacks - DefendRangedAttack, VolleyRangedAttack etc. - all had different 'MaxRange' values.

But apparently I was wrong; In the proton.xml, all of the Marine's ranged attacks have the same range, despite this not being the case in game.
(At least in the late game when I bothered to check, wondering why the army I had defending a pass wasn't returning fire!)

Are you certain about this? Especially not returning fire at all? This is an unusual behaviour, because all units react when under attack.

Different range values in proto work for me generally, but I haven't checked the ranges at different modes recently. NE's tactic files are different though in the way, that mode-specific attacks like DefendRangedAttack or StaggerRangedAttack were simply replaced with the standard VolleyRangedAttack in (hopefully) each unit's tactics. If you observed this not being the case in the NE files, I'd appreciate it if you let me know, so that I can fix it.

Quote:
P.S Congrats on 2.1.7b team; This mod has certainly come a long way since I first heard about it. No major issues so far, and everything looks gorgeous, even on my antique of a computer.

Thanks, feels always good to see people for whom the mod just works fine. Mr. Green Cool

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
AUS_Doug
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Unit range modifiers for various formations/stances.

Tilanus Commodor wrote:

Are you certain about this? Especially not returning fire at all? This is an unusual behaviour, because all units react when under attack.

Yep; Because I had the units in 'Stand ground' formation, and their range was less than that of the units attacking them, they didn't move.

Tilanus Commodor wrote:

Different range values in proto work for me generally, but I haven't checked the ranges at different modes recently. NE's tactic files are different though in the way, that mode-specific attacks like DefendRangedAttack or StaggerRangedAttack were simply replaced with the standard VolleyRangedAttack in (hopefully) each unit's tactics. If you observed this not being the case in the NE files, I'd appreciate it if you let me know, so that I can fix it.

I just realised an error with my earlier post; I mentioned the Marine unit, but it was actually the Bavarian native unit that had the issue.

Something like 22 range in Volley mode, down to 12 when staggered or standing ground.

So, I had a look at it's entry in Proton and, you're right that it only has the entry for VolleyRangedAttack.
(If I understand what you're saying, NE proto unit entries only have the Volley explicitly defined, and draw the rest from the tactics file for that unit?)

Ande59
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject:

Yeah I noticed that with the native Bavarian unit, but I think its just for different types of attack styles, One's "bombard" mode (same damage as cannon) and one's "ranged" mode (same damage as skirms ect.). It's also the ONLY unit with different attack styles (I think... unless you count the Abus gun).
Wasn't sure if it is intentional but it's a nice feature for a unit to have more than one attack style.

Also, AUS stands for Australia right? Or Austria? (prepares to celebrate for another Australian)

"German Uhlan spam is lame" -StrelletToIndustrial
AUS_Doug
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Also, AUS stands for Australia right? Or Austria? (prepares to celebrate for another Australian)

It most certainly is for 'stralia.

G'day mate.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Aren't you from Italy though, Ande? Confused

Ande59
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Si, but I live in Australia, and not many Australians play AoE3, let alone NE.

In fact, I know more Italians than Aussies, so I get annoyed when I want to play because of the different timezone Sad

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Well, you know, that's the cost of moving to the opposite side of the planet lol

But think of all those Japanese people you can play with Devil

AUS_Doug
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject:

Just a little update on this.

I remembered yesterday that part of my original editing years ago involved the <AutoAttackRange> tag, and that it wasn't present in units such as the Marine and Skirmisher in the Proton XML.

Added that back in and it solved some problems for me.

Ande59
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:
But think of all those Japanese people you can play with

I'm a bad person for laughing at this...

Page 1 of 1