New technology

Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: New technology

I reminisce the discussion when the Kincect for Xbox first came out, and Masskiller's excitement. It seemed like a glimpse into the future then. And then the talk about virtual reality.

So, I now wonder if anyone has any thoughts around new, sort of related, play with HoloLens?

To me it doesn't immediately look like a gaming device, though it apparently said it was one of the big reasons as to why they bought Minecraft. Confused

So, what is the future of gaming? VR, AR or (as I believe) neither?

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

I'm always sceptical when people announce the "new shit". Don't know how often I've read "the revolution of gaming". I remember a specific scene at a gathering of the German games industry 2 years ago when a fellow student was completely overwhelmed by the lecture of someone who predicted the end of gaming as we know it and the massive shift to mobile devices due to Moore's Law and the ignorance of newer gaming generations about past gaming trends such as consoles or desktop computers. As we know today, it never happened. I'd say the achievements of mobile games was making video gaming an accepted mainstream thing.

Even though "mobile" is every developer's darling to produce now, there's actual pluralism when it comes to the consumer's choice.

Gadgets like VR, AR are just expanding the catalogue of gaming control concepts. Just like the Wii, Kinect or music games-specific devices (Guitar Hero, Rocksmith, Singstar,.. ) are - oh, and anyone remembers the overhyped OUYA? None of those apocalyptic revolutions happened, it's just that related press get's more clicks with over-the-top sensationalism.

tl;dr
In the end, some people will buy it and that's about it.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I remember a specific scene at a gathering of the German games industry 2 years ago when a fellow student was completely overwhelmed by the lecture of someone who predicted the end of gaming as we know it and the massive shift to mobile devices due to Moore's Law and the ignorance of newer gaming generations about past gaming trends such as consoles or desktop computers. As we know today, it never happened. I'd say the achievements of mobile games was making video gaming an accepted mainstream thing.
Yes, that sentiment always struck me as odd. I suppose it is true in a way though, because mobile gaming is probably going to take a larger portion of the overall market. That's nothing odd though, as it's growing from nothing. The growth of the overall gaming market doesn't mean, as you say, that the 'traditional' gaming market will slump and wither away.

Since you're in the industry you probably have a better feel on it than I do, so I wonder if you however agree with the feeling that mobile gaming might impact the customer's expectations in a way that could be a concern for the industry: price sensitivity. I mean, if masses of people slowly become convinced (because of the influence of cheap mobile games and other fire sales) that $1 or even free is a reasonable price for a game, that might hurt the ability to monetize in the long run even if the average price for 'traditional games' will not fall that far. Some of it might be offset in a growth of the entire gaming population, but that's still lost revenue.

That's not only true for games either. Very cheap or free software in general with free updates in perpetuity isn't a waterproof business model unless you have a huge install base and plenty of ads.

Quote:
I'm always sceptical when people announce the "new shit". Don't know how often I've read "the revolution of gaming".
It seems to me that stuff that were supposed to revolutionize gaming often find better uses in other areas. It was true for the Kinect. I think it will be for VR and AR as well. It will remain too niche for a long time to have any real impact.

Still, it's pretty cool stuff (even though I'd probably feel ill from it) Razz

Page 1 of 1