Chinese Units and Thoughts

Forum Index -> NE Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle Ludwig
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Chinese Units and Thoughts

Dear all:

I know this mod is specially made to facilitate the glory of Napoleonic era. I do, however, would like to make some suggestions over the units and buildings of china and hope it could, somewhat, enrich the chinese civ in this mode.

The banner system in Aoe3 is vastly inaccurate in my point of view as a native chinese, and somewhat, poorly designed that does not represent the chinese army at that particular time-frame.

Therefore, I would like to suggest the followings for the consideration of the NE Team.

Before my suggestions being put forward, a little history background though Razz

Spoiler:

Qing Dynasty, the last of all, was a Manchurians' Dynasty contrary to the perpetual successive line of ethnic Han Chinese dynasties before them.

The Imperial army was divided into 2 main parts, (1) the Eight Banners [consisted of Mongolian and Manchurian) and (2) Green Standard Army [ All Han Chinese).

Ever since the Opium Wars, the Chinese authority has determined to modernise its army in the hope to fight against the invasive westerners, these include (1) Ever Victorious Army, Beiyan Army etc, but the most successive and somewhat the most crucial ones were the followings
(1) Peking Field Force (Divine-Firearm Division, 神機營), and (2) Guard Army (Wuwei Troop, 武衛軍)

Here are my suggestion of units (banners) as mentioned above:

Spoiler:

(1) Divine-Firearm Division, (Consisted of 3 Musketeers and 2 Manchu Horseman)

(2) Wuwei Troop, (Consisted of 3 Musketeers and 1 Cannon)

They can be trained in the age of industry by (1) a specific building awaiting to be designed or (2) becomes obtainable by a home city card.

The followings are the units as depicted in history documents

Chinese Musketeers:

They were equipped with muskets, and their duty mostly were to safeguard the defence of Beijing and the forbidden city. (They, most of the time, wore Blue cloth with Black coat)
Spoiler:

Number two:

Manchu Horseman: (Dependent to their residing banner, their cloth's colour were different, but by the time to be an imperial Horseman, they all wore Yellow)

Spoiler:

[/img]

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Hey Kyle Ludwig, thanks for the spotlight! We intend to update all civs at some point in time and we've already gathered a few ideas and concepts for each of them. For the Chinese we intend to make only a few big changes and yet evaluate how much details - mostly visual ones - we're going to change. So that's why I mostly appreciate the pics you posted, even though I knew like 2 of them already (one of them btw is not just some Manchu Horseman, but the Chinese emperor himself on horseback Wink ).

We will also have a look at the banner armies, don't worry. I've saved this thread url to an internal document. I'm a bit short on time, which is why I can't go deeper into details (another one is that I don't want to reveal too much). That Chinese musketeer that you mention, is that equivalent to the Chinese Arquebusiers in TAD or a new unit?

Since you mentioned the Opium wars, I'd like to remind you that NE's timeline ends around 1815. So if you could remove the things after 1815, 1825, that'd be great.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Kyle Ludwig
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodor wrote:
Hey Kyle Ludwig, thanks for the spotlight! We intend to update all civs at some point in time and we've already gathered a few ideas and concepts for each of them. For the Chinese we intend to make only a few big changes and yet evaluate how much details - mostly visual ones - we're going to change. So that's why I mostly appreciate the pics you posted, even though I knew like 2 of them already (one of them btw is not just some Manchu Horseman, but the Chinese emperor himself on horseback Wink ).

We will also have a look at the banner armies, don't worry. I've saved this thread url to an internal document. I'm a bit short on time, which is why I can't go deeper into details (another one is that I don't want to reveal too much). That Chinese musketeer that you mention, is that equivalent to the Chinese Arquebusiers in TAD or a new unit?

Since you mentioned the Opium wars, I'd like to remind you that NE's timeline ends around 1815. So if you could remove the things after 1815, 1825, that'd be great.

Thank you for your reply, i am deeply honoured

About China, particularly in qing period, i have some cool depiction made by the the period of 1755-1792. These wars are grouped by the emperor himself as ten great campaigns. here are those pictures that have some cool details of the chinese armies at that period.

Spoiler:

[/img]
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, I appreciate those last two paintings a lot. Do you know the names of these troops?

Generally, I'd be grateful for any feedback on the accurateness of the Chinese troops featured in AoE3. If you know any sources for images/paintings of authentic illustrations of Chinese soldiers from that time that'd be great. Also, if any important Chinese military force is missing, I'd like to get to know more about them. Smile

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Kyle Ludwig
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Thank you

those are the depictions from the then great campaigns during the qing period

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Great_Campaigns
Page 1 of 1