View previous topic :: View next topic  
rewenger.
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodor wrote:

Here some answers:
rewenger. wrote:
I can try to do some norwegian voices for this mod, i do have a decent mic.

So you wanna send over a record sample as described here? Wink

one recording sent Smile
Crazy Crusher
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Modding Report #26 - End of the year 2015

Tilanus Commodor wrote:
So NE2 is gonna end up like NE3.
So there isn't going to be a separation between NE2 and NE3 like originally planned (at least I thought it was)? This is huge news for me!
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Crazy Crusher, yes. There's going to be a whole report just about this. It also was a huge topic for us. Smile

rewenger, thanks a lot! I heard it, your voice is perfect, but there's some noise in the recording. I might be able to filter that, but I gotta try first. Will report back when I have news for ya. Smile

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Crazy Crusher
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject:

I was wondering why so many of the changes mentioned in this modding report reminded me of the planned changes for NE3.
UnstoppableStreletsy
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: I agree

I also noticed these similarities right away and everything sounded so different than previous reports
Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject:

@Swedish Cavalry Roster
I dont really get why you did that. Hackapell worked well as a mercenary unit, drabant worked well as a unique cavalry. And Sweden was never that much of a cavalry civ but clearly more focus on a good infantry/artillery mix.

@Minutemen
Well, spawning minutemen from destroyed buildings would of course include the inability to delete buildings to create free minutemen similar to British who cannot delete manors.

@cavalry sabre(arsenal tech)
Well of course it does apply to all light cavalry units. But it's not really beneficial as ranged light cavalry is best used as-the name's a hint-ranged by hit and running down enemy cavalry. There is only one melee light cavalry and that is-exaclty-DHH.

@Muslim civ-traits
I don't know if that's codeable, but how about including some sort of trade caravan system like in AoM? It could center around a muslim version of the market ie bazar. This could replace factories as a lategame-eco-boost for those civs.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Silmariel wrote:
@Swedish Cavalry Roster
I dont really get why you did that. Hackapell worked well as a mercenary unit, drabant worked well as a unique cavalry. And Sweden was never that much of a cavalry civ but clearly more focus on a good infantry/artillery mix.

I cannot agree with that. It was Gustav Adolph himself who developed new cavalry tactics. Swedish cavalry was also feared for their charges. My own recent researches and the information SAOL could provide me show a different picture. Sweden itself had a comparably small population and at least half the size of the Swedish armies were mercenaries. Historical mercenaries, however, shall not be put on the same level as AoE3 mercs. Instead the absolute dimensions of man count per troop type, regardless of the question whether mercenary or not, should matter if you want to draw an authentic picture of Swedish warfare and tactics.
Next to mercenaries, Sweden created lots of cavalry regiments in conquered territory such as Estonia, Livonia, Pomerania, Silesia, etc.

The Hackapell was stat-wise an okay mercenary (clearly not as popular as other cav mercs), but historically none. Finnish riders were regulars in the Swedish army. They were not even officially given that title and had more or less the same dress (as budgets permitted) as other Swedish cavalrymen. Finns themselves had a certain reputation within the Swedish army though and the so called "Hackapells" served as royal horse guard. That's the link to the Drabants.

The Drabant unit did no longer fit into our redesign plans for the Swedish civ. With the future introduction of the regular Chevauleger we considered the Drabant to be too Uhlan-like and hence too fragile. Instead we wanted something that is both stat-wise above the new Chevauleger (which they don't get) and a contrast ot the lighter Hussars they will get by default now. Since the Hackapell's stats were very close to that and because those were not mercs for real we decided to merge these 2 units.

Quote:
@Minutemen
Well, spawning minutemen from destroyed buildings would of course include the inability to delete buildings to create free minutemen similar to British who cannot delete manors.

And since the Prussians we know that not being able to delete your own constructions sucks balls.

Quote:
@Muslim civ-traits
I don't know if that's codeable, but how about including some sort of trade caravan system like in AoM? It could center around a muslim version of the market ie bazar. This could replace factories as a lategame-eco-boost for those civs.

Nah, the old AoE2 trading system (with all its charme) collides with the trade post system, which I think is - gamedesign-wise - a smoother trading system. We consider to give Muslim civs different factory visuals (incl. name) and might also change some features. The Bazaar is already that kind of visual alteration of the Market. The reason why we didn't choose the Bazaar as Factory replacement is the production of artillery. Even though I must admit that the resource trickles suit a Bazaar very well.

Silmariel
Conquistador
Conquistador

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:

As far as I know the problem with Prussians was not that they could not delete their buildings but the limit on how many military buildings they could construct thus leading to problems because you couldn't simply create another base if the enemy decided to focus his attacks on another point. There is nothing wrong with not being able to delete your buildings per se.
roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Hey, this looks great. Personally the Jutlander for me looks the best. However, i've got a few questions/problems.

1. About Sweden and the removal of leather cannons, I think that is for the best. That being said I don't believe their military should be nerfed for the sole reason that their economy is, in a word, special. The thing about them is their units are expensive and powerful but you can't field nearly as many as an economic powerhouse like America or Britain. I think that was fair, in a sense, as when me and my friends played games, the Swedish player would usually run out of resources first.

2. I liked the Swiss for their mobility. The fact they could pack up their barracks and move them was, in my opinion, NE's best and most innovative feature. I think they are fine as a mobile civ and i've seen in the regular NE that they do better in team games than in 1v1's.

3. I'm unsure of how powerful the Japanese musketeers are in NE as of now, however please in the next version make them weaker than something like Redcoats...

4. The sole reason that few people play Britain on TAD treaty (Now, I haven't played treaty on TAD in years, so give me some slack if it's changed) is that they don't have a skirmisher unit. Give Italy a skirmisher unit, I find them almost unplayable without one.

5. I like the idea of giving America batches. Also, militia units sound great, good idea.

Keep up the good work.

-Roy

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RoySOTR

Feel free to add me.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject:

roy1012 wrote:
1. About Sweden and the removal of leather cannons, I think that is for the best. That being said I don't believe their military should be nerfed for the sole reason that their economy is, in a word, special. The thing about them is their units are expensive and powerful but you can't field nearly as many as an economic powerhouse like America or Britain. I think that was fair, in a sense, as when me and my friends played games, the Swedish player would usually run out of resources first.

Their military doesn't get nerfed, only the boni will be different. Their cavalry becomes heavier, their infantry better in melee combat, their artillery faster (a remnant of the leather cannon). Arsenal techs will be cheaper, the market techs might as well (instead of being free), but the latter is yet up to debate. Mercenaries will continue to play an important role for Sweden and villagers will also be kept small in numbers.

I think that (and the other things I mentioned in the report) are a good deal for Sweden. 3Smile

Quote:
2. I liked the Swiss for their mobility. The fact they could pack up their barracks and move them was, in my opinion, NE's best and most innovative feature. I think they are fine as a mobile civ and i've seen in the regular NE that they do better in team games than in 1v1's.

Truth to be said I won't remove the mobility features entirely. The supply wagon is still there and there's yet no final decision about the packing feature. There is primarily a technical issue with this, because packed buildings can also be built over trade routes, which looks very shitty when the merchants are clipping through tents and bivouacs.
I know that Swiss are also good in 1v1 and it has a bitter yet hilarious taste to it that the least powerful historical state in Europe of that time manages to be a top notch multiplayer civ. ^^

Quote:
3. I'm unsure of how powerful the Japanese musketeers are in NE as of now, however please in the next version make them weaker than something like Redcoats...

Cannot promise that for the next version, but we are having an eye on both the Indian and Japanese musketeers.

Quote:
4. The sole reason that few people play Britain on TAD treaty (Now, I haven't played treaty on TAD in years, so give me some slack if it's changed) is that they don't have a skirmisher unit. Give Italy a skirmisher unit, I find them almost unplayable without one.

Each to his own. Italians have an incredible eco, which permits powerful rushes and pushing. If you don't manage to utilize that grand advantage before skirmishers become a dominant unit on the battlefield, then don't blame the civ for it. Wink

As for skirmishers themselves: Not all civs are meant to be played the same way, right? That'd be boring. Wink I'm also concerned about skirms generally being massed in multiplayer games. I know about their use, but it's ahistorical at its best.

Quote:
5. I like the idea of giving America batches. Also, militia units sound great, good idea.

Keep up the good work.

-Roy

Glad you like it! Thanks a lot! Cool

caveman909
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Im very excited about all this, you guys really are making great efforts to end up with the best mod possible Smile

I know I've still a debt to you Tilanus (dont give up on me!), but I'll be buying a new microphone/headset next week. Mr. Green So I hope the quality will be better then what you could hear last time (unless, as you said, it's the sound card).

Have a wonderful 2016 everybody!
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject:

Hey cave, yeah, you're still on my list Razz

I do fear though that the bad recording quality is really related to your sound card. I think it'd be much easier to use another computer just for that. How often did you say you meet friends? Mr. Green

I'm glad you like the ideas. Cool

Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject:

"More stuff from other AoE games" makes me wish to see the famous Wololo! thrown into the air...
Zooasaurus
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

How about changing Russian leader with Peter the Great? I think he would be suited with this whole Russian reformation thing
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Zooasaurus wrote:
How about changing Russian leader with Peter the Great? I think he would be suited with this whole Russian reformation thing

I agree with that and we'll change both flag and AI personality at the same time we changed most of the Russian civ. Smile

Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject:

I think Cesare Borgia should be replaced as well but with whom? Papal States and Grand Duchy of Tuscany were the most important powers of the region, but both went into decline after 1550's, as the Habsburgs' influences in Italy were consistently getting stronger in the period.

Victor Amadeus II of Sardinia (1666 - 1732) is the only person I can think of at the moment.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3