Age of empires error

Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SFSJ
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Age of empires error

Hello! I tried to copy the "Age of Empires III" folder to another computer (we were going to format the other one), but now only aoe3x.exe works... All the other ones show an error like "Cannot load datap[x].bar", including the napoleonic era (cannot load datapn.bar).
Does anybody know how to solve this?
roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject:

I have a suggestion! Don't be a pirate. I'm pretty sure copying files from a game on to another computer is illegal, I could be wrong. If it is on steam, you can easily reinstall on another computer and some discs allow you to. However, you may have fucked up your game. I would suggest to just delete all aoe3 files, uninstall the game and start with a fresh install.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RoySOTR

Feel free to add me.
SFSJ
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject:

We copied the file because we were going to format the computer and the game was bought around 2008 in a CD. We don't have the installer anymore, and I didn't want to lose this awesome game, so...
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Hey SFSJ, you cannot simply copy an installed program to another computer just by copying the folder (at least not 'modern' games, that are meant not to be portable anymore). It also requires that the registry entries exist. This, of course, is not done by just copying files.

If you do not have the CDs anymore or if they are broken, I recommend you re-buying the Steam version, whose price is currently largely reduced by -80% in a Steam sale.

I also have the CDs, but I promise the comfort of a Steam version is worth rebuying it. You can install it from anywhere, repair broken files without having to uninstall and reinstall everything, it's patched by default, etc. Of course you can also continue to use your old CD key and ESO name, but also use the/make a new one.

btw, copying files from one computer to another is not illegal. Cracking, selling, distributing the game to strangers is. There's also a grey-zone tolerance for making private copies for family members and close friends.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
SFSJ
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Thank you!
Well... I think I'll have to rebuy it...
Can you just answer me one question?
Why does aoe3X.exe works while the other ones don't?

EDIT:

I COULD SOLVE IT!!!!!!
Smile Smile Smile Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
I've read (manually) the .pyc files from the Throne room installer (wars of liberty) and manually set each registry value used there and IT WORKED!
However, i still don't know how did aoe3x.exe worked before this...

EDIT2:

Anyway, I've re-bought the game through steam.
A question: as i have re-bought it through steam, i have 2 cd keys now. Is it legal to play in different computers with those keys?
Page 1 of 1