A idea for a new civ (with actual historical research !)

Forum Index -> NE Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The last Austriahungarian
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: A idea for a new civ (with actual historical research !)

First, Hello for everyone on the forum Mr. Green

I am gonna be straight: My suggestion for a new civ in NE is the Empire of Brazil (the first reign more precisely, with a timeline from 1807 to 1855). I am considering the time Brazil ruled over Portugal and its colonies.

Before I show you the historical reasons behind this idea, some important information:

1)I am aware of the timeline that The Brazilian Empire is in. But I considered that NE already has other `late` chronology and countries such as the USA and the Austrians.

2) The Brazilian empire (lets call it BE) was not a minor power in the world by its time. Thanks to Dom Pedro I reforms, It had a full and capable army organized and trained in the european level with divisions of grenadiers, musketers, skirmishers, lancers, excellent light artilery commanders and weapons in various areas (such as light artilery and naval logistica). But the most important Factor that made Brazil a power nation was IT`S EXTREMELY MODERN AND POWERFULL NAVY, THAT WAS ONE OF THE MOST POWERFULL IN THE WORLD. the civ will best fit into a naval one. If you still have doubts: during the cisplatine war (1825) the empire of Brazil used a force of:
1st Line with 27,242 men
2nd Line with 95,000 men
100 modern warships including frigates, gunboats, corvettes, steam ships etc etc.

(if you still are not confident of its military force: one of the reasons why the empire entered in a eco crisis in late 1830 was because they wasted to much with the army lol )

This is probably the best resume of the army you will found: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_of_the_Empire_of_Brazil

3) This is by no way a copy of wol Brazilian empire, since wol is more based upon the second reign and the idea that Brazil was simply a south america russia with horrible troops. Also while the wol Brazil is very bommie, the historical first reign would fit better for medium game/aggressive civ rather than that. their eco was not one of their advantages.

The Brazilian army was divided in 2 lines:
First line was composed of professional well paid soldiers including a high amount of mercenaries (most from germany). It had the best troops of the empire, being most of them pure infantry or grenadiers.

The second line was constituded of the more standard troops such as militia, pikemen, light artilery and CAV. ESPECIALY CAV. LANCERS WERE A STANDARD AND NUMEROUS PART OF THE ROYAL ARMY. In the Batlle of the Rosario for example, Brazil had 2.5 times more cav than infantry!

One thing that was pretty common in southern batalions was the fact that soldiers usually caried with them more than simply what was their standard equipment (aditional saber, lances, pistols, and other short barrel muskets). This was both for cav and infantry, so i dont think it would be weird if their units could change between weapons (hussars using both sabers and lancers, or sabers and muskets) or have a stronger hand attack (most of this weapons were short range ones).

http://uniforma-army.ru/img/brasil_1822_28.jpg (image)

http://uniforma-army.ru/img/brasil_1822_30.jpg (image)

The dragões da independencia were the elite cav, i dont know if you consider than cuiraissers but this guys were top tier and should be added as a uu or royal guard (just one thing, they are many times showed with spears but they mostly used sabers).

This site http://uniforma-army.ru/brazil-1822.php amazing and will give you all the visual references you need (the Brazilian halberds are royal guards ).
Also this one http://www.suaaltezaogato.com.br/arq/Estante%20de%20Ouro/Uniformes_do_Exercito_Brasileiro_(1730-1922).pdf

i will add more information about their navy and possible uu s
HE MUST EXEMPLIFY THE EXTREME OF ALL THINGS, GOOD AND EVIL!
THAT IS WHY HIS RETAINERS ENVY AND ADORE HIM, AND WHY THE FLAMES OF ASPIRATION, TO BE AS THE KING IS, CAN BURN WITHIN
HIS PEOPLE!

I SHALL GRIEVE AND I SHALL WEEP, BUT I SHALL NEVER REGRET!
-Iskandar, king of conquerors.
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Continuation

So now i am gonna talk about the Brazilian fleet.

during this time, Brazilian fleet was a really important part of the national forces since the land attacks were coordinate alongside navy bombing of the coast. Actually this could actually be one of their bonus: Their ships could gain extra range with each age or techs. (smooth barrels Mr. Green )
THAT IS WHY HIS RETAINERS ENVY AND ADORE HIM, AND WHY THE FLAMES OF ASPIRATION, TO BE AS THE KING IS, CAN BURN WITHIN
HIS PEOPLE!

Firestorm
NE Guard
NE Guard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject:

I don't want to discourage you but it doesn't fit NE timeline. But pieces of Brazil will be included into NE Portugal.
Orwell
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject:

Is anyone going to point out that doing so would cause a massive and undue war with WoL that is worthless considering Brazil is not totally needed
Firestorm
NE Guard
NE Guard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject:

Orwell, I'm going to point put to you that we don't care what does WoL. We have our own plans and we don't copy them. I already said that NE won't have a Brazilian civilization because of the mod's timeline. Not because we are afraid to go in war against WoL Mr. Green
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject:

Firestorm wrote:
I don't want to discourage you but it doesn't fit NE timeline. But pieces of Brazil will be included into NE Portugal.

Thanks for answering Mr. Green

Did you had this discussion beforE? Can you show me a link?

Also may i ask why NE adds USA and Austria to lol since they are also late in the timeline? Forward thanks.
HIS PEOPLE!

caveman909
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject:

The last Austriahungarian wrote:
Firestorm wrote:

Thanks for answering Mr. Green

Did you had this discussion beforE? Can you show me a link?

Also may i ask why NE adds USA and Austria to lol since they are also late in the timeline? Forward thanks.

Austria during NE timeline: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_Empire
USA during NE timeline: https://history.state.gov/milestones/1801-1829/napoleonic-wars
Firestorm
NE Guard
NE Guard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Caveman already explained why Austria and USA fits NE timeline. During the Napoleonic Wars, the Portuguese Royal Family moved to Brazil (1807). There are some idea to include some units from Brazil as Church techs or HC Cards. Also there is a plan to cover the large colonies of Spain and Portugal like New Spain, Peru, New Granada and Brazil within the context of the Napoleonic Wars and its aftermath but this a disscusion between team members only and I can't reveal much right now.
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Firestorm wrote:
Caveman already explained why Austria and USA fits NE timeline. During the Napoleonic Wars, the Portuguese Royal Family moved to Brazil (1807). There are some idea to include some units from Brazil as Church techs or HC Cards. Also there is a plan to cover the large colonies of Spain and Portugal like New Spain, Peru, New Granada and Brazil within the context of the Napoleonic Wars and its aftermath but this a disscusion between team members only and I can't reveal much right now.

Ah ok i understand Smile

But may i ask what you think of the bonus and ideas that i gave? Like could the extra hand attack fitin others civs? Mr. Green
HIS PEOPLE!

Firestorm
NE Guard
NE Guard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject:

This is a matter of balance but we will have a look at it(meele bonus). In NE we are always very careful with this things. I think Sweden will have a similar bonus. The important thing is to keep the game balanced. "Ordem e Progresso" could be our moto as well Wink
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I am gonna be straight: My suggestion for a new civ in NE is the Empire of Brazil (the first reign more precisely, with a timeline from 1807 to 1855). I am considering the time Brazil ruled over Portugal and its colonies.

Before I show you the historical reasons behind this idea, some important information:

1)I am aware of the timeline that The Brazilian Empire is in. But I considered that NE already has other `late` chronology and countries such as the USA and the Austrians

The Austrian Habsburgs are anything but 'late' in our timeline. In fact as a dynasty they cover the longest time of rule in the NE timeline. Also US American history doesn't start with the Independence War against the British, but already with the colonization of North America. That way you could understandingly argue Brazilian history starts also earlier than 1807, which it does. However, the Brazilian independence - de facto and de iure - is a much later event than the US American one. The Portuguese supremacy/sovereignity lasted rather long. So as Firestorm said already Brazil will be covered in the Portuguese civ.

Quote:
2) The Brazilian empire (lets call it BE) was not a minor power in the world by its time. Thanks to Dom Pedro I reforms, It had a full and capable army organized and trained in the european level with divisions of grenadiers, musketers, skirmishers, lancers, excellent light artilery commanders and weapons in various areas (such as light artilery and naval logistica). But the most important Factor that made Brazil a power nation was IT`S EXTREMELY MODERN AND POWERFULL NAVY, THAT WAS ONE OF THE MOST POWERFULL IN THE WORLD. the civ will best fit into a naval one. If you still have doubts: during the cisplatine war (1825) the empire of Brazil used a force of:
1st Line with 27,242 men
2nd Line with 95,000 men
100 modern warships including frigates, gunboats, corvettes, steam ships etc etc.

(if you still are not confident of its military force: one of the reasons why the empire entered in a eco crisis in late 1830 was because they wasted to much with the army )

This is probably the best resume of the army you will found: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_of_the_Empire_of_Brazil

And it is rather questionable whether this development of quick rise in power and heavy militarization would have occured without the backing of the Portuguese Royals for whom Brazil was the most realistic and most promising perspective to stay in power after Portugal itself was threatened by the Napoleonic Wars. You mention Dom Pedro I, who's a pretty late character in the NE timeline. For NE we are looking for civs that played a major role before the early 19th century, when indeed many new nations were born and got their independence.

As a reminder, the NE timeline starts at 1500 and ends ~1815/1825. In fact anything later than 1815 is already within our 'buffer of tolerance'. So, 1815 still serves as a guide for any design and the extension of it is just a possibility for special cases.

Quote:

3) This is by no way a copy of wol Brazilian empire, since wol is more based upon the second reign and the idea that Brazil was simply a south america russia with horrible troops. Also while the wol Brazil is very bommie, the historical first reign would fit better for medium game/aggressive civ rather than that. their eco was not one of their advantages.

Can only confirm what Firestorm said. Smile

Quote:
First line was composed of professional well paid soldiers including a high amount of mercenaries (most from germany). It had the best troops of the empire, being most of them pure infantry or grenadiers.

The second line was constituded of the more standard troops such as militia, pikemen, light artilery and CAV. ESPECIALY CAV. LANCERS WERE A STANDARD AND NUMEROUS PART OF THE ROYAL ARMY. In the Batlle of the Rosario for example, Brazil had 2.5 times more cav than infantry!

One thing that was pretty common in southern batalions was the fact that soldiers usually caried with them more than simply what was their standard equipment (aditional saber, lances, pistols, and other short barrel muskets). This was both for cav and infantry, so i dont think it would be weird if their units could change between weapons (hussars using both sabers and lancers, or sabers and muskets) or have a stronger hand attack (most of this weapons were short range ones).

The dragões da independencia were the elite cav, i dont know if you consider than cuiraissers but this guys were top tier and should be added as a uu or royal guard (just one thing, they are many times showed with spears but they mostly used sabers).

This site http://uniforma-army.ru/brazil-1822.php amazing and will give you all the visual references you need (the Brazilian halberds are royal guards ).
Also this one http://www.suaaltezaogato.com.br/arq/Estante%20de%20Ouro/Uniformes_do_Exercito_Brasileiro_(1730-1922).pdf

Thanks a lot for providing this! Smile I'm sure I can find a use for that and respect these infos when I implement this into the Portuguese civ. In next release Portuguese will already get a new church tech unit instead of the Black Riders (Tower and Sword Knight), whose stats will be based on Spanish Royal Guard Lancers. They'll get a new skin and be called "Guarda do Emperador" (the predecessor of the Dragões da Independência).

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodor wrote:
Quote:

1)I am aware of the timeline that The Brazilian Empire is in. But I considered that NE already has other `late` chronology and countries such as the USA and the Austrians

The Austrian Habsburgs are anything but 'late' in our timeline. In fact as a dynasty they cover the longest time of rule in the NE timeline. Also US American history doesn't start with the Independence War against the British, but already with the colonization of North America. That way you could understandingly argue Brazilian history starts also earlier than 1807, which it does. However, the Brazilian independence - de facto and de iure - is a much later event than the US American one. The Portuguese supremacy/sovereignity lasted rather long. So as Firestorm said already Brazil will be covered in the Portuguese civ.

Quote:
1st Line with 27,242 men
2nd Line with 95,000 men

(if you still are not confident of its military force: one of the reasons why the empire entered in a eco crisis in late 1830 was because they wasted to much with the army )

And it is rather questionable whether this development of quick rise in power and heavy militarization would have occured without the backing of the Portuguese Royals for whom Brazil was the most realistic and most promising perspective to stay in power after Portugal itself was threatened by the Napoleonic Wars. You mention Dom Pedro I, who's a pretty late character in the NE timeline. For NE we are looking for civs that played a major role before the early 19th century, when indeed many new nations were born and got their independence.

As a reminder, the NE timeline starts at 1500 and ends ~1815/1825. In fact anything later than 1815 is already within our 'buffer of tolerance'. So, 1815 still serves as a guide for any design and the extension of it is just a possibility for special cases.

Quote:

Can only confirm what Firestorm said. Smile

Quote:

Thanks a lot for providing this! Smile I'm sure I can find a use for that and respect these infos when I implement this into the Portuguese civ. In next release Portuguese will already get a new church tech unit instead of the Black Riders (Tower and Sword Knight), whose stats will be based on Spanish Royal Guard Lancers. They'll get a new skin and be called "Guarda do Emperador" (the predecessor of the Dragões da Independência).

Wow you finaly comented lol thanks for explaning that austrians cover the entire hasburgs and that USA not only covers it's colonizers and ONLY GOES UNTILL 1815( is because i play the mod and they can make steamships and gatlings so i just presumed that they went until 1955 or something lol ).

In case you need any help with possible portuguese and its colonies text and history I am always here to help you (i have even MORE information such as the origins of brasilians lancer south cav). Like tge conquest of the french guyana during the Napoleonic wars (i doubt ya knew that Wink

Also the last link is the best if you want truly portuguese/brasilian troops from 1730 to 1815, and if you cant understand whats is written or which is their role please send a picture so i can ( probably lol ) help you.

Also I dont want to look like that spammers who make stupis civ sugestions( teutonic order Wink but i need to explain something: from 1807 to 1821 sure, the army used the portuguese nobility money but once they were gone and Dom Pedro I declared independence he modernized the army in order to secure the countrie war and stability( this is the modernization that I refered to). And this money actually came from the agrarial elite.

Also one last question: USA will also feature tge time when it was a colony. Why cant you do that with Brasil to? It has a interesting story to \0/.

Ps: i also have sugestions for some maps and natives if you care to listen Smile
Pss: i respect everything you say Mr. Green

Forwars thanks.
HIS PEOPLE!

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject:

Wow you finaly comented lol thanks for explaning that austrians cover the entire hasburgs and that USA not only covers it's colonizers and ONLY GOES UNTILL 1815( is because i play the mod and they can make steamships and gatlings so i just presumed that they went until 1955 or something lol ).

We'll cut off any of the post-1815/1825 content. That includes gatlings for sure and most likely also steamships.

Quote:
In case you need any help with possible portuguese and its colonies text and history I am always here to help you (i have even MORE information such as the origins of brasilians lancer south cav). Like tge conquest of the french guyana during the Napoleonic wars (i doubt ya knew that Wink

Also the last link is the best if you want truly portuguese/brasilian troops from 1730 to 1815, and if you cant understand whats is written or which is their role please send a picture so i can ( probably lol ) help you.

I'll gladly take that offer. Smile In fact my knowledge on Latin american history is quite limited, so I appreciate any support here. I've taken a quick look at the huge pdf already, it looked like an interesting read, sadly it's all in Portuguese. lol

Quote:
Also I dont want to look like that spammers who make stupis civ sugestions( teutonic order Wink but i need to explain something: from 1807 to 1821 sure, the army used the portuguese nobility money but once they were gone and Dom Pedro I declared independence he modernized the army in order to secure the countrie war and stability( this is the modernization that I refered to). And this money actually came from the agrarial elite.

Money that the governing nobility uses is usually always made by the populace (which at that time mostly worked in the agricultural sector). All the cool Brazilian units and achievements you listed in your post are developments initiated by the Portuguese nobility. Dom Pedro I was the first Brazilian emperor, but he was also a Portuguese prince heir and part of the House of Braganza. All the military education and professionalism that you can see in Brazilian army from the colonial period until the Brazilian independence more than obviously comes from Europe. The administration, the law system, weaponry, institutions, military organization, religion, all these things were dictated by the Portuguese for centuries. There was native resistance, but it never managed to neither severely threaten nor actually overcome or defeat the Portuguese supremacy.

And if we're really honest, the Brazilian independendists were very lucky with Dom Pedro I, because they had easy play with him thanks to his affinity to Brazil. Imagine a more typical Portuguese viceroy or member of the royal family, then a Brazilian independence would have been a lot less likely to occur at all.

Quote:
Also one last question: USA will also feature tge time when it was a colony. Why cant you do that with Brasil to? It has a interesting story to \0/.

I'm glad you bring up the US. They're not even natives, but actually patchwork coming from different European countries. In fact there are not too many structural differences between the north, central and south american colonies on first sight. The most obvious argument for US americans is their early revolution war in 1775 (notable resistance was already prior to that). The second one is the higher level of autonomy of the local North American settlers compared to the mostly native and enslaved people in Central and South America, in which colonial rule was more restrictive. Which leads me to the third argument, which is not any lower ranking than the other ones (as it kind of is a combination of all): In North American colonies European emigrants found a more promising perspective and fortune for themselves. They nominally lived under British rule, but they had more rights, more freedom and a greater level of independence that outfitted them with the power needed to fight the British professional army at all. I doubt this level of self-organization was possible in Brazil, whose demographics and social classes were working notably different. One major indicator for this btw are the immigration waves to Brazil and North America. If you compare them you'll see why in North America there was a greater chance and likeliness for a successful revolt.

And here a fourth argument, which is particularly important: Due to the participation of French soldiers the American war of independence echoed only 13 years later in the French revolution in 1789 which eventually permitted someone like Napoleon Bonaparte to rise to power, who is after all setting the theme, the climax and the name for this mod. Wink

Quote:
i also have sugestions for some maps and natives if you care to listen Smile

Sure, what are they? I'm always interested in hearing. Smile

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Sure, what are they? I'm always interested in hearing. Smile[/quote]

So here it is: Brasil ( please write with S) and south america are baddly represented in aoe3 ( there is a shit amazon map + a weird pampas map WITH INCAS, INCAS!!!!

Brasil is bigger than europe ( if you dont counter asian russian) and was a place of conflicts between tupis, french, dutch( northwest invansion) portuguese , spanish , and the local settlers! ( such as the emboaba wars, missions wars and south endless gauchos battle spirit). I have many sugestions for maps ( that you MUST add!) but first some natives and units:

Bandeirantes: they could be eithet a native or a special portu card ( or both). During history this guys did all kinds of job ( they were very poor and at that time sao paulo was a miserable region) but they were especialy know for their work as indians and slave slayers and killers. So my idea is that this guys would be a native with bonus vs ......natives lol ( and maybe also mercenaries since they fought trought the entire south america. Imagine this situation: you are brits with the cool muskt rush Smile but then your enemy starts spamming tupi atchers + cav. What do you do? Bandeirantes + musk ! \0/

I will give more ideas and units later ( i still need to work after all lol ).
HIS PEOPLE!

Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodor wrote:

We'll cut off any of the post-1815/1825 content. That includes gatlings for sure and most likely also steamships.

Quote:

I'll gladly take that offer. Smile In fact my knowledge on Latin american history is quite limited, so I appreciate any support here. I've taken a quick look at the huge pdf already, it looked like an interesting read, sadly it's all in Portuguese. lol

Quote:

Money that the governing nobility uses is usually always made by the populace (which at that time mostly worked in the agricultural sector). All the cool Brazilian units and achievements you listed in your post are developments initiated by the Portuguese nobility. Dom Pedro I was the first Brazilian emperor, but he was also a Portuguese prince heir and part of the House of Braganza. All the military education and professionalism that you can see in Brazilian army from the colonial period until the Brazilian independence more than obviously comes from Europe. The administration, the law system, weaponry, institutions, military organization, religion, all these things were dictated by the Portuguese for centuries. There was native resistance, but it never managed to neither severely threaten nor actually overcome or defeat the Portuguese supremacy.

And if we're really honest, the Brazilian independendists were very lucky with Dom Pedro I, because they had easy play with him thanks to his affinity to Brazil. Imagine a more typical Portuguese viceroy or member of the royal family, then a Brazilian independence would have been a lot less likely to occur at all.

Quote:

I'm glad you bring up the US. They're not even natives, but actually patchwork coming from different European countries. In fact there are not too many structural differences between the north, central and south american colonies on first sight. The most obvious argument for US americans is their early revolution war in 1775 (notable resistance was already prior to that). The second one is the higher level of autonomy of the local North American settlers compared to the mostly native and enslaved people in Central and South America, in which colonial rule was more restrictive. Which leads me to the third argument, which is not any lower ranking than the other ones (as it kind of is a combination of all): In North American colonies European emigrants found a more promising perspective and fortune for themselves. They nominally lived under British rule, but they had more rights, more freedom and a greater level of independence that outfitted them with the power needed to fight the British professional army at all. I doubt this level of self-organization was possible in Brazil, whose demographics and social classes were working notably different. One major indicator for this btw are the immigration waves to Brazil and North America. If you compare them you'll see why in North America there was a greater chance and likeliness for a successful revolt.

And here a fourth argument, which is particularly important: Due to the participation of French soldiers the American war of independence echoed only 13 years later in the French revolution in 1789 which eventually permitted someone like Napoleon Bonaparte to rise to power, who is after all setting the theme, the climax and the name for this mod. Wink

Quote:
i also have sugestions for some maps and natives if you care to listen Smile

Sure, what are they? I'm always interested in hearing. Smile

HIS PEOPLE!

Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject:

I've just realised what an awesome campaign the Braganza refuge would make - the royal family flees to their colony, sets their court up from scratch, then has to face new problems in Europe which result in serious dynastic conflict inside the royal family and Brasil gaining independence as an Empire. Spice it up with period music (José Maurício Nunes Garcia anyone?) and quotes form the letters exchanged between the royal family members and you'll get a very intense single player experience.

But this is not going to happen I guess Confused

In fact I think it would be nice to make a campaign for every civ, maybe even multi-civ campaigns like the RoN ones in which you may choose to start the campaign as one of the listed nations.
Page 1 of 1